Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female Anyone else's bladder wildly inconsistent?

I just notice that the amount of time it takes for my sphincter to heal after a hold enough to do another satisfying hold without fear of losing control, is inconsistent. sometimes i'm healed after 2 days. sometimes i'm not even healed after 2 weeks. probably depends on how many failed holds i had recently and how much time i rest btween them

I think everybody's bladder is inconsistent sometimes. Sometimes you have to go to the bathroom sooner than others despite having a same amount of liquid, and for some reason sometimes you just feel the urge sooner for no particular reason and sometimes you feel more desperate in a situation then you what at other times and there isn't any rhyme or reason behind it necessarily.

9 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I think everybody's bladder is inconsistent sometimes. Sometimes you have to go to the bathroom sooner than others despite having a same amount of liquid, and for some reason sometimes you just feel the urge sooner for no particular reason and sometimes you feel more desperate in a situation then you what at other times and there isn't any rhyme or reason behind it necessarily.

I agree with you. I can hold a significant amount of pee (about 2 liters) for case cases I have nowhere to pee (during a class or bus ride). I can manage it without any leak. But sometimes there are sudden and strong urges that hit me with medium amount of pee inside my bladder.

Yeah, mine is. Most of the time I have no problem holding. I'm usually a bit careful with long trips and don't drink too much, or only 1 coffee etc. any I'm usually OK. But every now and then, just out of nowhere, I go from being able to hold at a 7/10 level for a good hour or so, to absolutely failing and getting all of 10 mins before I lose control. Happens very rarely with no real reason as to why it was different that day.

On 2/5/2024 at 12:34 AM, univgirlkelsie said:

I just notice that the amount of time it takes for my sphincter to heal after a hold enough to do another satisfying hold without fear of losing control, is inconsistent. sometimes i'm healed after 2 days. sometimes i'm not even healed after 2 weeks. probably depends on how many failed holds i had recently and how much time i rest btween them

What happens during healing and do you ever have to go suddenly where you can't hold it even a minute or two?

14 hours ago, willbill said:

What happens during healing and do you ever have to go suddenly where you can't hold it even a minute or two?

for the first few days after a hold, exactly what you described happens. eventually i regain my bladder control over the days as my sphincter heals. if the previous hold was a failed one, then the incontinence probably lasts longer, like 1.5 weeks

On 2/10/2024 at 11:55 AM, univgirlkelsie said:

for the first few days after a hold, exactly what you described happens. eventually i regain my bladder control over the days as my sphincter heals. if the previous hold was a failed one, then the incontinence probably lasts longer, like 1.5 weeks

During those first few days after, do you ever end up pee pee dancing like crazy to be able to hold it and if so does that help?

1 hour ago, willbill said:

During those first few days after, do you ever end up pee pee dancing like crazy to be able to hold it and if so does that help?

Oh well I won't be able to hold it at all for even a few minutes in those days after. I always make sure I'm near a toilet during those times.

I probably dance a bit, but I don't really pay attention to it as I prefer to do most of my pee dancing during my actual 9-hour-long hold - the fun part!

I'm not a doctor, but here is what I think is what is going on with me, as a long-time omorashi participant.

It feels like omorashi has given me a larger maximum bladder capacity, but also reduced sensitivity until a certain point. I feel like I have less control when I'm bursting, which still gets better when I take time off.

I think the combination of reduced sensitivity, maybe skipping the bathroom in a low-key way more often than a normal person, drinking more liquid than average, and being comfortable with peeing your pants can lead to some unexpected surprises if you are not careful.

I think another problem for people is they do not realize how much the filling rate of your bladder and experience of discomfort is dependent on all sorts of things like how hydrated you were two hours ago, how full or empty your stomach is, blood sugar and electrolyte levels, any bladder irritants in your diet, sleep/stress levels, etc.

Put all that together, and you get accidents 😉

Sudden accidents can be frustrating from an omorashi perspective, especially when you are doing it over text messenger or get in a mood and pee yourself after 10 or 15 minutes. But I also kinda think it can be hot when it happens. No one has the perfect omorashi bladder, but to me that's part of the fun.

Edited by squirmandglow (see edit history)

There are a lot of different factors in play, from physiological like bladder elasticity and abdominal volume for the bladder to expand into (or not if there's other organs in the way) to endocrine / hormonal effects that change the settings on the body's machinery, to environmental in the form of temperature and even air pressure, psychological / neurological in the case of nerve signals to and from the bladder and sphincters, and of course pharmacological impact like diuretic medication (some blood pressure meds and HRT are at the top of a LONG list). Trying to categorize, let alone track and measure, all of these factors for a single person would be a staggering scientific challenge even before doing anything with the data - we're likely to get a Unified Field Theory of physics before we get a Unified Theory of Continence.

Though that DOES give me an idea for a story....

Time depends hugely on input amount, input timing, how your body uses the fluids (salt intake and higher vasopressin levels will slow down urine production in the kidneys). So I'd only go by output and even then, the pee urge can vary depending on whether the sympathetic or parasympathetic nervous system is more active, whether we're distracted or consciously thinking about peeing, a lot happens in the brain too: e.g. when feeling cold or stressed or being close to a bathroom, the brain releases the inner sphincter a bit and pushes the detrusor/bladder wall muscle, that's the moment when the pee urge increases and we have to hold with the conscious/willingly controllable outer sphincter.

So holding ability is an interplay of at least 3 muscles and brain signals/hormones, depending on a lot of outer circumstances and not just "the bladder" itself.

Temporarily decreased bladder control and/or sphincter strength after a big hold might be a way of our body making sure that we're not overdoing it. If we overdo it constantly, the bladder wall muscles might get accustomed to the more work they have to do to push it out after a certain fullness level (muscle wall grows and looses elasticity) up to the point the controllable outer sphincter can't keep up with the pressure at the same amount. That's how urge incontinence develops and might also be the reason why holding ability decreases with a higher age, apart of muscle degradation. 

But this might also differ on other factors as well, moderate practice/holds and habits might enable most people to keep a big capacity over their lifetime, while others struggle more or even risk kidney reflux. Then again, some that are blessed with loose/elastic bladder walls and/or low activity detrusor (good compliance levels) combined with extremely strong sphincters, might be just fine doing regular holds way above the 2L mark and having a holding habit over their lifetime.

DrBorderline did sum it up well.

I'm not a doctor myself but this is what I've learnt and observed so far.

I've been noticing this type of inconsistency more and more lately as I try more consciously to stay hydrated. Every day my goal is to drink a lot of water, but depending on how fast I drink it, what I've eaten that day and when, what else I'm doing, how much attention I'm paying, and probably other factors too, how often and how urgently I need to pee seems to vary A LOT. It can be a bit stressful sometimes but I'm doing my best to make it work!