Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bizarre music

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My friends often tell me that I have very unique music taste. I like many different genres, but mostly jazz, classical and traditional music. Probably the weirdest thing I am listening to is the jazz band called „Nojazz” who create music that combines so many different genres and styles together that it’s uncountable (for sure I noticed elements of: classical jazz, fusion, electrical music, early forms of hip-hop, latinoamerican music, reggae and some very hard to identify parts). Also I am a great fan of persian traditional and classical music (my favourite Iranian musicians are: Kayhan Kalhor, Tahmoures Pournazeri, Homayoun Shajarian, Siamak Agaei and Kiya Tabassian) (and no, I’m not from Iran, but recently I visited this beautiful country), also the pakistani religious choir singing called „qawwali”, which js strongly related to sufi misticism (best known master of that music style was Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan). The other „weird” thing is saharian rock of touareg people (can be both in arabic and touareg language) or the mixture between middle eastern and Indian classical music. Apart from that something more common like Celtic traditional music (Clannad, la lugh, Kathleen MacInnes, Brian Finnegan)

A few examples:

Nojazz:  

Pakistanian qawwali:

Touareg saharian „rock”: 

persian traditional music (this particular song has a kurdish background)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

infinite depths at the Bottom of the Sea,  is the only video on this list that I watched all the way through.

Does anyone know what the name of the instriment is that he is playing. ?

It's called the magic pipe. He built it himself 💜 it can be picked, slapped or bowed and he does everything from deeply ethereal music to incredibly goofy stuff. I love him.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:34 AM, ambrose yonke said:

Not really a genre but steely dan, they were a 1970's rock/jazz/pop group that made some cool music. Fun fact about steely dan for one of their songs they couldn't get the drums right so they paid their engineer 150,000 dollars and he built the first ever drum machine.

Cool fact about the group Steely Dan especially for those of us on this forum.

They got their name from a fictional Dildo from the novel The Naked Lunch written by William S Burroughs.

• 1 month later...

I don't find any of the music I like particularly bizarre, but when I try and share it with others, I do get responses like that 😂 some people think I have zero taste!! 

My favourite genre is music that evokes images associated with Horror Stories, called Dark Ambient. This is the track that started it all off for me, and inspired me to write my first Horror novel back in 2011. It thoroughly creeped the heck out of me!! 

https://open.spotify.com/track/2P9g8PWaeRkyAzvjfIEEKU?si=9onG1gCuRy-pK9ZGiXs0Lw