Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Ever broken a bone?

This topic is only slightly inspired by the Never Broke A Bone subreddit, for the record.

Despite multiple injuries that should have resulted in broken arms, ankles, and on two non consecutive occasions a skull fracture (I had quite the childhood and some of it I can even remember) the only time I ever broke a bone was one of the little fiddly tarsal bones in my toe, banging it against my bed after I got out of the shower and did not have my glasses on. This would have been maybe a decade ago - it's not like I marked it on the calendar or anything.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha... no... at least I don't think so. I simply spent ten years working in broadcast TV news.  In that time I covered numerous active shooter and hostage situations which sometimes devolved int

Twice as far as I know. First time, I was in third grade, first day of school.  I tripped falling down a hill and fractured my pinkie on my right hand.  It never healed quite right. The seco

Fell off a waterfall and broke my arm once. I was trying to take a picture of a larger waterfall in front of me, but my lens wasn't quite wide enough.  So I kept backing up, getting ver closer to

My right pinky.  The tip of it now rests somewhat on the nail of my right ring finger if my hands are closed to any meaningful degree.  Did that playing American Football when I was in high school.  Probably the weirdest injury I ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

Twice. 

The first time was at a boy-scouts camp when I was 12, I was climbing a tree with some other kids and someone told us to get down. So I did, I broke a branch a fell face first on some rocks. My right arm was blocking my chest and I broke my radius. I stayed at the campsite for almost an entire 24 hours before going to a hospital. Luckily it healed perfectly.

The other time was at 13 years old. In martial arts… . I was sparring and someone kicked my thumb really hard. That wasn’t to bad though, it healed just fine. 

@Gatto-Italiano

"So I did, I broke a branch a fell face first on some rocks. My right arm was blocking my chest and I broke my radius. I stayed at the campsite for almost an entire 24 hours before going to a hospital. Luckily it healed perfectly."

Ouch! This kind of reminds me of something that happened to me when I was about 10 years old. I didn't break a bone but I did something similar to you where I tripped and I was falling towards the brick steps near my cousin's house so I put my wrist up to protect my face and ended up really badly hurting it. I didn't break anything but I did have a cast for a few days, not like a full hard cast, just sort of like something soft wrapped around my hand. My face still got all cut up though, so putting my wrist there to block my face didn't really do much good! But that was probably the closest I came to actually breaking anything, but luckily it was just sort of a minor sprain and I think I only had that on my hand for like a day or two or something like that, and mostly just soaked it in warm water.

11 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I didn't break anything but I did have a cast for a few days, not like a full hard cast, just sort of like something soft wrapped around my hand. My face still got all cut up though, so putting my wrist there to block my face didn't really do much good! But that was probably the closest I came to actually breaking anything, but luckily it was just sort of a minor sprain and I think I only had that on my hand for like a day or two or something like that, and mostly just soaked it in warm water.

That sounds like either a bad sprain or serious bruising; immobilizing an injury site is a tried and true technique even when bones aren't broken in order to protect stretched or damaged ligaments and tendons.

@DrBorderline

"That sounds like either a bad sprain or serious bruising; immobilizing an injury site is a tried and true technique even when bones aren't broken in order to protect stretched or damaged ligaments and tendons."

I don't think it was particularly bad because I think I only had that soft cast on for like a day or two and then just remember soaking in hot water. I don't think I ever actually missed school over it or anything because it happened on a weekend, and I don't really even remember going to the doctor, except I assume that I must have because I couldn't picture how else I got that wrapping on my hand. But at any rate it wasn't any kind of broken bone or severe injury because I think it was on there for a day at worst so luckily nothing serious.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:24 PM, ambrose yonke said:

Hairline fractures, one on each arm, about a year apart from each other, both bunk bed related.

On 3/30/2023 at 5:23 AM, DrBorderline said:

~ the only time I ever broke a bone was one of the little fiddly tarsal bones in my toe, banging it against my bed after I got out of the shower and did not have my glasses on.

Today I Learnt that beds are LETHAL!

I personally have never broken or fractured any bones, but a buddy at my Historical European Martial Arts club seems to condense all the club injuries into one man. In the past year he's had a fracture on his wrist and his forearm separately, as well as twisted his leg.

My most severe injury was a scar I still have from ten years ago when I cut my finger nastily with the lid of a tin can. I am most sad that they threw the custard away, even if it's contaminated with my blood, I could still have eaten it!

• 2 weeks later...

12 years old. Swinging from a vine on a tree like tarzan, vine breaks, I use my arms to break my fall.

Left arm broke in both places. That was fun. Incidentally, I get the sense that it healed stronger, so all's well that ends well. They gave me morphine before they set the bone and that was nice.

I fell like 12 feet, I'm surprised it wasnt worse.

Thats my story :P

I've broken the same arm twice, once when I was 4 and once when I was 8. The first time was just a fracture but the second time was more "spectacular" and almost required surgery. 

I've also rolled both ankles badly (not at the same time) but the x-rays came back clear ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 1 month later...

Twice as far as I know.

First time, I was in third grade, first day of school.  I tripped falling down a hill and fractured my pinkie on my right hand.  It never healed quite right.

The second time was years later.  I'd been studying Tae Kwon-Do, you see, and I was testing to qualify for...my red belt, I think?  Anyway, I had to break a board with a jumping front kick.  I flubbed the kick and impaled my foot on the edge of the board.  The really impressive bit though?  I got back up, standing on that injured foot, and then proceeded to do the kick correctly with the other leg!

EDIT: There was a third time, much more recently.  A couple of years ago I broke my big toe on one foot after I stubbed it against some furniture.

Edited by D0nt45k (see edit history)

I have broken too many bones to keep count. I really hate myself sometimes. 

I’ve broken my right ankle probably around 4 times, left ankle 3 times and one sprain. The last time I broke my ankle was basically 4 years ago. 

I”ve broken my pinky finger once cause I couldn’t fucking catch a basketball. 

I’ve sprained my right shoulder once and i have a very minor concussion from 2 years ago. 

Breaking bones and being injured is no fun that’s for sure. I’d honestly rather not be made of flesh and bones most of the time. 

Fell off a waterfall and broke my arm once.

I was trying to take a picture of a larger waterfall in front of me, but my lens wasn't quite wide enough.  So I kept backing up, getting ver closer to the much smaller falls behind me until suddenly the ground was gone.  Even as I fell, I was concerned about my expensive camera, so I held it up above me with one hand, reaching my other arm down to try to catch myself and cushion my fall.

At least my camera was okay.

The really sucky part was that I was now down inside this gorge with no obvious trail or way out.  I had left my phone in my car, and was in a fairly remote wilderness location, so not a huge chance anyone was going to happen by anytime soon.  Plus, in the ice cold creek, hypothermia could quickly become a real issue.  Somehow I managed to clamber out of the ravine with my one good arm and get back onto the trail.  Though I was soaked, covered in mud, and scratches from the thick underbrush.  From there I had a just over two mile hike back to the trailhead where I was parked, then had the fun experience of driving my stickshift with only one good arm (not the arm I usually shift with) the 90 minute drive back to civilization and the nearest hospital.

1 hour ago, TVGuy said:

Fell off a waterfall and broke my arm once.

I was trying to take a picture of a larger waterfall in front of me, but my lens wasn't quite wide enough.  So I kept backing up, getting ver closer to the much smaller falls behind me until suddenly the ground was gone.  Even as I fell, I was concerned about my expensive camera, so I held it up above me with one hand, reaching my other arm down to try to catch myself and cushion my fall.

At least my camera was okay.

The really sucky part was that I was now down inside this gorge with no obvious trail or way out.  I had left my phone in my car, and was in a fairly remote wilderness location, so not a huge chance anyone was going to happen by anytime soon.  Plus, in the ice cold creek, hypothermia could quickly become a real issue.  Somehow I managed to clamber out of the ravine with my one good arm and get back onto the trail.  Though I was soaked, covered in mud, and scratches from the thick underbrush.  From there I had a just over two mile hike back to the trailhead where I was parked, then had the fun experience of driving my stickshift with only one good arm (not the arm I usually shift with) the 90 minute drive back to civilization and the nearest hospital.

You're lucky you survived.  Most people don't survive a mistake like that.

17 hours ago, D0nt45k said:

You're lucky you survived.  Most people don't survive a mistake like that.

I am extremely lucky.  Especially when you consider the times I've been shot at, stabbed, impaled, and the time my appendix burst and all the fallout from that. Then there are the plane crashes, the helicopter crash... It is a wonder I have survived. 

I suppose one could also argue that I am unlucky to have had these things happen in the first place.  I tend to be a very cautious person, not a thrill seeker, and avoid dangerous situations.

3 minutes ago, TVGuy said:

I am extremely lucky.  Especially when you consider the times I've been shot at, stabbed, impaled, and the time my appendix burst and all the fallout from that. Then there are the plane crashes, the helicopter crash... It is a wonder I have survived. 

I suppose one could also argue that I am unlucky to have had these things happen in the first place.  I tend to be a very cautious person, not a thrill seeker, and avoid dangerous situations.

I'm not sure if I should recommend you buy lotto tickets or make sure you have your affairs in order in case you roll snake eyes the next time.

I've ever only managed to partially break my small finger on my right hand when i was about 6 or 7.

I was super excited because my best friend (who lived 45 minutes away, so we would only see each other every 2 months or so) was visiting with her parents. So when the doorbell rang i got zoomies, ran toward the balcony, fell over a chair and hit my finger on the door. I didn't notice untill the evening.

Edited by Kitsune-chan
Added some minor detail along with a word my brain forgot (dyslexia goes brrr) (see edit history)

I am sitting with a massive break right now. 

I broke my Tib/Fib and my heel back in April doing the most dangerous hobby in the world... 

PLANE SPOTTING ✈️😂

My ankle went over on a grass verge, twisted one way and then the other. I spent over an hour lying at the side of the road before a friendly passer-by took me to hospital. 

I don't remember too much of the pain, I think I was numb from shock as I had never broken anything before this. 

I've spent 2 months in various Casts ((I broke one after falling off my crutches in my flat 🤣)) and I've been in an Air Boot for the last 6 weeks. I still can't walk properly or stand up for too long and my ankle is very painful to touch. 

@eliska_91

"I broke my Tib/Fib and my heel back in April doing the most dangerous hobby in the world... 

PLANE SPOTTING"

What exactly is plane spotting, just looking for planes or just watching planes take off? I have heard of Trainspotting from the movie where all of those heroin addicts were watching the trains go by but I have never heard of plane spotting.