Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female Mattress protector that actually works?

What do folks here use as a mattress protector that actually works for large amounts of pee?

My wife and I have this, which we put on our bed when it is needed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MW50FKG
but we had an extended pee-play session last night, and the area where most of our weight had been ended up quite soaked underneath the protector. I don't know if their claims of "100% waterproof" are just a bit bogus, or if it has degraded over time, but it is relatively thin so it doesn't surprise me it isn't fully effective.

Are there any specific products or brands you all swear by for truly complete waterproofing?

Afraid the real answer is strong plastic sheet or rubber. My experience of 'waterproof, hypoallergenic' is that is a form of water resistant material which is designed for light domestic use. It is also a pain to clean and dry. I have a pure plastic undersheet under a non absorbent waterproof sheet, so that the bed  sheet can be rermoved for washing ,and a wipedown with kitchen roll and a new bedsheet means you are ready to go (possibly again, or later, whatever suits !) . I like to use the thin nylon bedsheets which can either take a pad underneatrh for prolonged comfort, or on their own to give an immediate puddle without absorbing any pee. They dry in minutes after washing, but can be  uncomfortable in hot weather. I will try nylon bedspread when the weather improves to see how that performs.

Most of the top rated ones on Amazon are fine. Mine get a LOT of use. I've got 3 that I keep in rotation so that if one is in the laundry, I've got a clean one on the bed. In my experience, be aware of the following: ALWAYS wash in cold water only, NEVER use fabric softener, NEVER dry in a dryer, air dry only.

Doing this, mine last for years and retain their waterproof properties.

2 hours ago, DiminishingReturns said:

ALWAYS wash in cold water only, NEVER use fabric softener, NEVER dry in a dryer, air dry only.

Thanks, that's a good point in addition to @dansdelit's comment about some products (probably including my current one) that aren't really meant for more than "light domestic use." I have had the current thing quite a while and it has certainly been dried in the dryer when it shouldn't have a few times, thanks to being dumped in the dirty-clothes bin and then handled by another family member.

This problem is why I resorted to pond liner. It's a very heavy plastic material built to hold large quantities of fluid. It comes in rolls, so you can buy whatever length suits. Buy more, not less, and allow for good overlap of your bed. I use a double layer on the bottom, to be absolutely sure, and a single sheet on top to protect my duvet. Having seen a good many bedwetting videos, I've realised that I'm a heavy wetter. I regularly get wet head to foot and the only stains on the mattress are the old ones.

I got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7F3ZBW?pd_rd_i=B07N7F3ZBW&pf_rd_p=b000e0a0-9e93-480f-bf78-a83c8136dfcb&pf_rd_r=2QSZCF07SR7C623Z403V&pd_rd_wg=B2MhR&pd_rd_w=MP4zV&pd_rd_r=0095ceaf-e399-4cc5-a01b-0b745f19bb31

On nights I know I'm going to have some wet fun, I put this down and it feels like I'm on a regular blanket. You can always leave it on the bed under your fitted sheet if you want. Mine has never leaked even sleeping all night in a puddle.

Look for a breathable medical grade mattres protector and put an absorbent pad with waterproof backing on top under the sheet. We have used products from https://www.win-health.com/continence-care-products.html - a UK company so possibly not available outside Europe. This arrangement hasn't leaked yet and the absorbent pad helps that warm wet bed feeling without the worry of a stained mattress. It's also not really noticeable that the bed is protected. 

I use springspirit hospital mattress pads. Theyre 34 x 72 inches and i have 2 of them on my double bed so they easily cover the whole bed with an overplap. Theyre pretty absorbent and 100% waterproof. Dont buy breathable waterproof. Theres a problem on amazon with products claiming to be 100 percent waterproof so i had to replace my mattress and put it out on the curb with quite obvious pee spots. It was a nice setup too with corner straps that were easy to put on and off but they lied to me about the 100% waterproof. But i like the pads better. Also, since they aren't breathable you'll get hot in your sleep so i use a waterbed mat that cycles cold water.

here they are:

875DC14C-262B-457B-95FA-D8B25F1292A1.jpeg

DA5B71DA-5CA1-4D5A-B3AE-34EB54FB8F50.jpeg

I've had great success with the waterproof Serta brand mattress pads from Walmart (US).  They're a bit hard to wash, and even tougher to dry.  When washing, load very carefully to ensure the absorbent side faces outward and pray that it stays evenly loaded for the spin cycle.  If tumble drying, the key is to dry on low and make sure to re-wad them occasionally to expose wet spots to the dryer.

I usually get about a year of semi-frequent washes out of one.  I've been using them for several years, and they seem to be completely reliable until they start to shrink.  At that point, they start to develop very small leaks.  You could probably push this a good bit longer by hanging to dry or using the tumble-only setting on a dryer, but they take ages to dry that way.