Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Do You Alter Your Behavior When There Is Going to Be a Lack of Bathroom Opportunities or Do You Just Do Things the Same?

Do You Alter Your Behavior When There Is Going to Be a Lack of Bathroom Opportunities or Do You Just Do Things the Same?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Alter Your Behavior When There Is Going to Be a Lack of Bathroom Opportunities or Do You Just Do Things the Same?

• I generally take a cavalier attitude towards bathroom access where I don't actively plan for it, I just worry about it when the need arises and hope for the best.
    • When I know there's not going to be a bathroom I plan extensively and map out my day around it and alter my behavior so that I can hold longer.
    • Normally I don't plan out my day around the bathroom access but if I know it's going to be a problem I might take precautions in some situations.
    • I often deliberately plan to put myself in situations where I know I'm not going to have a bathroom and I will drink more etc. in order to make the whole situation more challenging and exciting.

This is something that I have chatted about often and I was just thinking it might be interesting to do a poll on this. I have noticed that in a situation where people actively know there's not going to be a bathroom, particularly for women, that most do not alter their behavior. Despite the fact that they know there might not be a bathroom break or that there will be a limited amount of time to use the bathroom or a situation where not everybody gets to use the bathroom, I have noticed that a lot of people don't alter their behavior to plan for this contingency. Women who know that there is going to be a major line for the bathroom or maybe not an opportunity to go seem to continue drinking normally and don't seem to plan their day around the bathroom and sort of take this cavalier attitude and not worry until it happens to be a problem.

Personally I have never understood this attitude, as I am hyper cautious and I plan for everything. When I know there's not going to be a bathroom I make sure not to drink as much, and when I get to a place I always scope out the bathroom situation to know where things stand on that matter so that I will always know how to plan my day around it.

So my question for everybody out there is if you know there's going to be a lack of opportunities to use the bathroom or that there is going to be long lines, or you don't know when you're going to get to a bathroom next, do you alter your behavior so that you can do a better job of holding it or do you just continue to do things as normal and you just worry about it when you come to it?

I think one of the best examples was when I was on my tour guide trip and when the women arrived and there wasn't enough time to use the bathroom. Despite the fact that there was this woman who clearly had to go very badly after four hours without a bathroom, and despite knowing that it would probably be at least an hour before she got to a bathroom again she just Guzzling down the liquids. Again you don't want to blame somebody for a situation that they shouldn't be in in the first place rather unfairly that they perhaps were I'm expecting, but at the same time you see them drinking and you are like I don't think this is going to make the problem better! You have to kind of wonder what is going through someone's head like that as they are obviously not planning for the long term.

Maybe it's just human nature, I think that people are not good at planning for the long term or even the short time very well, but considering that most women have been in situations like this you would think that more people would anticipate the situation and plan and alter their behavior accordingly, and yet I feel that the majority really don't.

I just kind of like winging it and the excitement of not having control so I did vote that I deliberately put myself in those situations. But even in situations that I can't risk wetting myself, I don't worry about it too much because I don't really have to be paranoid. I'm capable of holding it for sometime and if I know I can't risk holding it then I will let myself go a lot earlier than I have to. My bladder can be pretty shy and I can have trouble peeing in certain situations but its not bad enough that I have to actively be precaution about it. 

Like yea, its pretty stupid that I drank bottles of water in my long bus ride, but in the moment I just don't really think about it because I'm just not paranoid over it I guess. It's one of those things to me thats logically very dumb but I don't care because its part of something that I don't care to worry about daily. If I'm thirsty then I'm thirsty what am I going to do about it yk. 

Edited by Kat_ie (see edit history)

@Kat_ie

"Like yea, its pretty stupid that I drank bottles of water in my long bus ride, but in the moment I just don't really think about it because I'm just not paranoid over it I guess. It's one of those things to me thats logically very dumb but I don't care because its part of something that I don't care to worry about daily. If I'm thirsty then I'm thirsty what am I going to do about it yk."

I'm one of those people who always has a bottle of water with me everywhere I go as I am paranoid to leave the house without it and my family is always saying that's why I have to pee all the time. When I don't want to be a really long time without a bathroom I do carefully watch my liquid intake, but again I don't dehydrate myself, but I realize if I drink anything that within a few hours no matter what happens I'm going to have to go pretty badly.

Any of them except the second, really. A lot of the time I just won’t think about it one way or the other, and unless I drink a lot of liquid, caffeine and alcohol in particular, I won’t typically get caught short. I’ll often wear a nappy just because I like to, but also sometimes make the decision to wear one at least partly to avoid using public toilets. And once in a while I’ll get into a deliberate or semi-deliberate desperation situation.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:04 AM, DesperateJill said:

Personally I have never understood this attitude, as I am hyper cautious and I plan for everything. When I know there's not going to be a bathroom I make sure not to drink as much, and when I get to a place I always scope out the bathroom situation to know where things stand on that matter so that I will always know how to plan my day around it.

Like she said, totally.

I definitely don’t even think about it until I’m desperate. If I’m going somewhere without a bathroom, sure, I’ll go beforehand, but that rarely even helps. My brain 100% prioritized being hydrated and I’d rather need to pee than have a pounding dehydration headache (which I get so easily)

The situation always creeps up on me. Of course, I kind of like it so maybe I’m not the best/most unbiased source 😉 In the summer, I’m screwed and I end up dancing and holding it as long as possible before hopefully I find a bathroom. In the winter, a snowsuit or a pair of snowpants hides the accident so I just pee away!

@Snowgirl

"I definitely don’t even think about it until I’m desperate. If I’m going somewhere without a bathroom, sure, I’ll go beforehand, but that rarely even helps. My brain 100% prioritized being hydrated and I’d rather need to pee than have a pounding dehydration headache (which I get so easily)"

I always go to the bathroom before leaving the house and usually up on getting someplace new as long as one is available. You can remain hydrated but at the same time you don't have to be like guzzling down the water or whatever drinks. I find it just by sipping water I can stay hydrated without being thirsty but without getting to the point where I get desperate instantly. If I drink anything other than what I tend to get desperate a real lot faster, usually right away I have to go to the bathroom within a half hour at the most, so if I know going to be going out in a place without a bathroom I make sure to limit myself only to water.

Me personally, I only care about bathrooms when I really need to go, and since I have a strong bladder, that doesn’t happen often. But I do have some weak bladdered family members, namely my wife, that worry about bathroom access. It’s one of the first things that she checks when we visit some place. If it’s my wife and kids, I’ll plan accordingly. If it’s just me and my wife, we’ll be a little naughty and drink a little extra while not caring about bathrooms. 

On 3/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, Mrdesperation said:

Maybe it's because I'm a guy and it's easier to go outside if necessary, but I don't really worry about where's the bathroom until I need the bathroom. I don't wait until I'm about to wet myself to start looking, unless that was the plan. I've never really had any issues or been caught short before. Maybe that's why, too. Confidence through experience. 

I think some of that varies depending on where you live. If you live in a big city, it can be hard to find a place to go, even outside. When I'm traveling in a place like that, it can be so annoying to try to find a bathroom when most of them are closed. Usually someone has some kind of bathroom emergency whenever I go to the city, and I've only ever traveled with guys. I generally just drink water then so my body is more likely to metabolize it and I need less to stay hydrated.

13 hours ago, NerdyGayBoy said:

I think some of that varies depending on where you live. If you live in a big city, it can be hard to find a place to go, even outside. When I'm traveling in a place like that, it can be so annoying to try to find a bathroom when most of them are closed. Usually someone has some kind of bathroom emergency whenever I go to the city, and I've only ever traveled with guys. I generally just drink water then so my body is more likely to metabolize it and I need less to stay hydrated.

The one time I peed publicly in the city was at night. I don't think I could do it in broad daylight. 

6 hours ago, Ms. Tito said:

The one time I peed publicly in the city was at night. I don't think I could do it in broad daylight. 

One time when my boyfriend was desperate at night, he couldn't even do it publicly because he was too worried about security cameras. I told him to just stay in the car and use a bottle, but he was too nervous to even do that. Eventually we were able to find a bathroom.

Some people are scared to use the bathrooms out in public period, regardless of how badly they need to go, and it’s not just because of the COVID nonsense of the past few years either.  Some people (even boys) are reluctant to use a public bathroom just to pee because they don’t like the looks or smell of the bathroom.

Now, putting that aside, if you’re not afraid to use the bathroom in public (whether you are a guy, girl, or transgender, and whether you need to do #1, #2, or both), it is an interesting question.  I believe that it is always good to have a potential “contingency plan” for what to do if you can’t use the bathroom right away when you need to.  It could be something as simple as keeping a spare set of clothes and panties you can change into if you are unfortunate enough to “have an accident”.  I’ve heard of people who are reluctant to eat or drink for fear of needing to go to the bathroom in public, and that’s probably not good for your health either, because you need to drink plenty of water to survive (especially in the heat of the summer).  Now, we probably don’t need as many “soft drinks” or “junk food”, but that’s a different issue.

I guess the best way to answer the question is “What is the worst thing that can happen if I can’t use the bathroom when I need to?”  If the “worst case scenario is “pee your pants”, then just make it a point to have a spare set of clothes in your vehicle in case you have such an “emergency”.  If the worst case scenario is “ruptured bladder”, then the consequences are more serious, and you don’t want to deal with that.  No one wants to “wet their pants”, but sometimes a little public humiliation is better than permanent damage to the kidneys or bladder.

Also, when you’re out in public, you need to “not be afraid” to use the bathroom when you need to (which is easier said than done, especially if bathroom access is limited or non-existent).

I can see so far the choice that seems to be winning overwhelmingly seems to be most people don't plan for the bathroom specifically on a given day unless they think there is going to be a specific reason why they need to, which seems like the most reasonable response.

I do think that what a lot of people have brought up in the last couple of posts does make a difference. In my opinion the suburbs are probably the best place for bathroom access in that you aren't in the middle of nowhere where no bathrooms are available, but you aren't also in a place where there are so many people that finding a bathroom without a long wait is going to be a problem.

People who are accustomed to peeing outside probably are more likely to do so in a rural region where nobody is going to see them. Even people who aren't shy about public urination would be less likely to do it in a crowded city where everybody can see them and they could potentially get fined for public urination. Peeing outside discreetly on a tree is different than trying to whip it out and pee in the middle of a busy city, even more so for women who can't do so as discreetly.