Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What determines the pressure of pee?

The three main factors in pressure would be the volume of urine in the bladder, the width/diameter of the urethra itself, and the degree to which the sphincter opens. A very full bladder with a wide urethra and a freely-opened sphincter would produce one of those desirable "firehose" kind of streams. Dial back any of those three factors and you'll have a lower-pressure stream.

I believe that the phenomenon of a fuller bladder yielding a low-pressure stream has to do with the signals sent to the sphincter when holding. One of the reasons that people are told not to hold it is that it can cause urinary retention because the sphincter gets stuck closed, doesn't open all the way, or closes again too soon. In the situation where someone has been holding a lot for a while, the sphincter has been getting a strong "don't open" signal the whole time. It stands to reason that the body wouldn't turn back on that and instantly open the floodgates in defiance of the instructions it had been given for the last however-many hours.

Not a doctor nor an expert on anatomy, but I do know a bit about fluid dynamics from talking with my plumber father over the years. If the above is factually contradicted by any medical texts, go with the text. Fun to think about though.

Edited by brothacheese
Repetitious phrasing (see edit history)

I will add something I think  applies more to males than females,  because I have experienced it. If we hold our pee well beyond our bladders capacity it becomes seriously distended, and heavy. Thr bladder can actually rest on our Urethra, which is much longer in men, blocking the flow of urine. This happening numerous times in my teens and twenties. I had held my pee all day because I didn't want to admit i needed to go. I recall one particularly painful experience when it took me 10 minutes of slow intermittent dribbling until enough pressure was released and I could release a weak but steady stream.

One other thing as I have gotten older, sometimes my stream is weaker than expected due to an enlarged prostate. 

I much prefer a full pressure stream , especially if it is so strong I feel my pee hole stretch a bit. Sometimes that causes my pee to splatter. 

Edited by wettingman (see edit history)

like brothacheese said, there is a lot of things involving the pressure of the pee. But the bladder itself has a muscle layer called detrusor that contracts when we are peeing. we cant control this muscle, we can only control the sphincter. thats why when we start peeing it is hard to stop, because our sphincter is fighting against the detrusor.

what happens when we hold our pee for too long is that the detrusor muscle is so stretched it has a hard time contracting (it is kinda like stretching you arm open and trying to lift a heavy objetct) so even though the sphincter is totally relaxed, the pee slowly leaks out because the detrusor is making almost no pressure.

this is also the cause of most urine retentions. when the bladder stays stretched for too long (most commonly due to prostate hyperplasia) it may lose its ability to contract. there are also other neurologic causes for urinary retention, but this is the most common.

2 hours ago, nappypants said:

Well yeah, it’s prostate-related in that sense. For women there isn’t an equivalent issue, so not sure if it changes with age at all?

This comment reminded me of something. When she was young my ex-wife had a habit of holding her pee to the last second, and occasionally beyond. Her stream was never forceful. Over time it seems her bladder became permanently stretched out of shape. Now her stream is a weak trickel , and she usually has to press on her bladder to push her pee out, especially if she has had to hold it.

Childbirth can significantly affect a female's ability to hold her pee.

4 hours ago, nappypants said:

Well yeah, it’s prostate-related in that sense. For women there isn’t an equivalent issue, so not sure if it changes with age at all?

It does. Many women, especially if there are some pelvic floor muscle issues, develop some level of bladder prolapse where the bladder and/or urethra sinks down a bit, the stream is weaker and it's difficult to fully void.  This increases with age. 

6 hours ago, Tellnoone said:

It does. Many women, especially if there are some pelvic floor muscle issues, develop some level of bladder prolapse where the bladder and/or urethra sinks down a bit, the stream is weaker and it's difficult to fully void.  This increases with age. 

exaxlty! the bladder sinks on the urethra due to weak pelvic floor muscles and "bends" the urethra kinda lika bending a hose and slowing down water flow

14 hours ago, Tellnoone said:

And how is your pelvic floor muscle for now? 😛

13 hours ago, faffef said:

And how is your pelvic floor muscle for now? 😛

Well, it´s not alright. I have my issues, and I´m pretty worried about the future, to be honest.

It´s actually annoying to see how “a weak pelvic floor” is generally romanticized on here (I see people say things like “if you´re lucky, your girlfriend will get a weak pelvic floor after she´s had kids.”)

The thing is, the pelvic floor is a crucial part of your body, and when it get´s injured during childbirth it often comes with more problems than just “cute little leaks”. You can have or develop prolapses, different kinds of cronic pain or hypertension, urinary retention, less sexual sensitivity/orgasm difficulties, bowel problems, poop/gas incontinence, just to mention a few. There´s nothing erotic about this at all.  

Even I may sometimes enjoy my stress leaks, but I hate to be reminded why I have them. 

1 hour ago, Tellnoone said:

Well, it´s not alright. I have my issues, and I´m pretty worried about the future, to be honest.

It´s actually annoying to see how “a weak pelvic floor” is generally romanticized on here (I see people say things like “if you´re lucky, your girlfriend will get a weak pelvic floor after she´s had kids.”)

The thing is, the pelvic floor is a crucial part of your body, and when it get´s injured during childbirth it often comes with more problems than just “cute little leaks”. You can have or develop prolapses, different kinds of cronic pain or hypertension, urinary retention, less sexual sensitivity/orgasm difficulties, bowel problems, poop/gas incontinence, just to mention a few. There´s nothing erotic about this at all.  

Even I may sometimes enjoy my stress leaks, but I hate to be reminded why I have them. 

I am so sorry you deal with this. It diffidently sounds tough. I agree that it is annoying people on this site love this stuff so much. But even more annoying is that I do as well. I have always kind of hated myself for having this fetish. It is gross and wrong to be aroused by people (usually women, who, let's be honest, have it worse than us guys, to begin with) desperate to pee and leak.

Of course, you can't control what you're into, but if I could, I wouldn't be into this. It just makes me feel guilty...

Hope things end up going okay for you! 🙂 

On 2/26/2023 at 10:57 PM, UrineLover1 said:

I am so sorry you deal with this. It diffidently sounds tough. I agree that it is annoying people on this site love this stuff so much. But even more annoying is that I do as well. I have always kind of hated myself for having this fetish. It is gross and wrong to be aroused by people (usually women, who, let's be honest, have it worse than us guys, to begin with) desperate to pee and leak.

Of course, you can't control what you're into, but if I could, I wouldn't be into this. It just makes me feel guilty...

Hope things end up going okay for you! 🙂 

Thanks, and please no, you shouldn't feel guilty for liking omo and the idea of pee accidents. I have those fantasies all the time myself. And accidents are often caused by incontinence, that's a fact, so it isn't strange that it has an appeal.

I just wanted to raise some awareness of the reality behind the post labour weak pelvic floor, because people don't get that it can be a serious issue with more than just incontinence.  Nobody would say "I'm lucky enough to have a gf with IBS and sometimes I get to see her mess" or "how cute that your bf has a kidney disease and wets the bed", because you know those conditions are a pain to have in so many ways other than the accidents. It's the same with a pelvic floor injury. We suffer from it but it is often treated as just a little wet walk in the park, sometimes even a dream scenario.

Edited by Tellnoone (see edit history)