Hi, I saw this on the 9gag website 
I thought it might interest you 

https://9gag.com/gag/aoKeOo3

the comments on this site are not the most positive or respectful 

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aoKeOo3_460svav1.mp4

ps the musicians don't seem to be up to it either XD

Edited by peelion (see edit history)
5 hours ago, nappypants said:

Interesting, any explanation of why it happened?

A number of media outlets- including the one below- claim he currently has a UTI:

https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/eish-south-sudan-president-wets-himself-while-reciting-national-anthem-e9e92f1f-d32e-4635-aead-e00cca119d71

I can't speak to the quality of this reporting, but it seems to me that most Western outlets that picked up this story are tabloids. While I barely know anything about South Sudan or it's president, I am disheartened that many look at this specific incident as proof that he is 'unfit to lead'. I'm sure that if this happened to a world leader anywhere else, political opponents would say exactly the same thing of them. I know an incident like this would be bitterly received in the US. It makes me wish that we as a human society could be more compassionate when it comes to incontinence issues. It seems like people are far too prepared to conflate incontinence with senility, which I think affirms global society's biases against those with disabilities.

Again- I really can't speak on how fit/unfit of a leader this guy is. I do know that South Sudan has been embroiled in armed conflicts throughout the short time they've been a country (since 2011). I just wish people weren't so, "Oh he pissed himself, so he is a bad leader". Whether the following is true or not, I am fascinated by this take on the story, that his wetting was an "an extreme act of patriotism; refusal to excuse himself while the national anthem was being played."

https://dailypost.ng/2022/12/16/why-south-sudan-president-salva-kiir-mayardit-peed-himself-in-public-shehu-sani/

1 hour ago, themerger said:

A number of media outlets- including the one below- claim he currently has a UTI:

https://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/eish-south-sudan-president-wets-himself-while-reciting-national-anthem-e9e92f1f-d32e-4635-aead-e00cca119d71

I can't speak to the quality of this reporting, but it seems to me that most Western outlets that picked up this story are tabloids. While I barely know anything about South Sudan or it's president, I am disheartened that many look at this specific incident as proof that he is 'unfit to lead'. I'm sure that if this happened to a world leader anywhere else, political opponents would say exactly the same thing of them. I know an incident like this would be bitterly received in the US. It makes me wish that we as a human society could be more compassionate when it comes to incontinence issues. It seems like people are far too prepared to conflate incontinence with senility, which I think affirms global society's biases against those with disabilities.

Again- I really can't speak on how fit/unfit of a leader this guy is. I do know that South Sudan has been embroiled in armed conflicts throughout the short time they've been a country (since 2011). I just wish people weren't so, "Oh he pissed himself, so he is a bad leader". Whether the following is true or not, I am fascinated by this take on the story, that his wetting was an "an extreme act of patriotism; refusal to excuse himself while the national anthem was being played."

https://dailypost.ng/2022/12/16/why-south-sudan-president-salva-kiir-mayardit-peed-himself-in-public-shehu-sani/

If you’re a person of importance making a public appearance and you know you have this potential issue for one reason or another, surely you would wear a diaper…

5 hours ago, peelion said:

the président is 71 year old . . .

Not exactly ancient… younger than Biden, Trump, King Charles and many others!

12 minutes ago, nappypants said:

If you’re a person of importance making a public appearance and you know you have this potential issue for one reason or another, surely you would wear a diaper…

Not exactly ancient… younger than Biden, Trump, King Charles and many others!

Maybe it's the first time it happened. Maybe he's in denial or too proud. Maybe @Tellnoone is on to something???

3 hours ago, Tellnoone said:

What if he is one of us? He has been waiting his whole life to build up the courage for the ultimate shame experience...

That's the explanation I like the most.  😁

Sometimes I like to imagine being super famous and staging an epic desperation/soaking on stage. When asked about it later, I'd casually say that it almost never happens when I'm awake.

@nappypants

"Not exactly ancient… younger than Biden, Trump, King Charles and many others!"

Honestly I would say that the majority of the world's wealthy and powerful are geriatric at this point. Probably a lot of them have experienced some kind of incontinence at some point, and I know that there has been speculation about all of those mentioned leaders having shat themselves at one point, so wouldn't surprise me if they had an accident.

1 hour ago, DesperateJill said:

@nappypants

"Not exactly ancient… younger than Biden, Trump, King Charles and many others!"

Honestly I would say that the majority of the world's wealthy and powerful are geriatric at this point. Probably a lot of them have experienced some kind of incontinence at some point, and I know that there has been speculation about all of those mentioned leaders having shat themselves at one point, so wouldn't surprise me if they had an accident.

I totally agree that this is probably typical among the world's leading class. Septi-/octogenerian bladder + high-stress job = accidents now and then.

I understand why they don't but perhaps a change in stigma and social perception if world leaders discussed aging and incontinence more freely???

@themerger

"I understand why they don't but perhaps a change in stigma and social perception if world leaders discussed aging and incontinence more freely???"

Possibly but is probably unlikely seeing as I think that most leaders want to project an image of strength and I think that a lot of these leaders given that a majority of them are elderly tend to want to take attention away from the fact that they are growing old and feeble. I kind of like Joe Biden's response where he said yes I know how fucking old I am! I do think that when you are old like that inevitably people associate oldness with some kind of feebleness which is not really what world leaders want to project to people. Saying that I have accidents or I wear a diaper is not something that rings of I am a powerful in charge leader.

4 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

@themerger

"I understand why they don't but perhaps a change in stigma and social perception if world leaders discussed aging and incontinence more freely???"

Possibly but is probably unlikely seeing as I think that most leaders want to project an image of strength and I think that a lot of these leaders given that a majority of them are elderly tend to want to take attention away from the fact that they are growing old and feeble. I kind of like Joe Biden's response where he said yes I know how fucking old I am! I do think that when you are old like that inevitably people associate oldness with some kind of feebleness which is not really what world leaders want to project to people. Saying that I have accidents or I wear a diaper is not something that rings of I am a powerful in charge leader.

I hear you there. This if very tangential, but this conversation reminds me of the posturing the Dominican dictator, Rafael Trujillo, would have to do later in life. Mario Vargas Llosa writes in Feast of the Goat how Trujillo might very well have wet himself frequently, especially later in life (he had UT problems from his 30s onward):

"There it was: the dark stain covered his fly and part of his right leg. It must have been recent, it was still damp... his insensible bladder was still leaking... A lashing rage shook him. He could dominate men, bring three million Dominicans to their knees, but he could not control his bladder."

@themerger

I suspect a dictator would probably be even more insecure over it or an authoritarian in general sort of like how Hitler was supposedly horribly flatulent or how Trump lied about his weight. In a country like America you can make fun of the frailties of your leaders but in a total dictatorship if you laugh at the dictator for peeing themselves you're probably going to end up dead, so I imagine with dictators they probably end up experiencing a lot of these situations but nobody dares speak of them.

It almost reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld where George was going to Cuba to joke with Castro and Castro was talking about his embarrassing experience at dinner and he was said if I wasn't a dictator there's no way I would have gotten away with that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e7LicRweOg

51 minutes ago, themerger said:

I totally agree that this is probably typical among the world's leading class. Septi-/octogenerian bladder + high-stress job = accidents now and then.

I understand why they don't but perhaps a change in stigma and social perception if world leaders discussed aging and incontinence more freely???

A discreet nappy (or more likely, adult pull-up) would do the job and probably go unnoticed… pride perhaps getting in the way?

@nappypants

"A discreet nappy (or more likely, adult pull-up) would do the job and probably go unnoticed… pride perhaps getting in the way?"

I would think so honestly. Even if it was really discreet I think that people might notice and speculate, and although diaper lovers would rejoice at having somebody so famous promoting their lifestyle perhaps, I think that the average president would be pretty embarrassed if people knew that they wore diapers.

2 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@nappypants

"A discreet nappy (or more likely, adult pull-up) would do the job and probably go unnoticed… pride perhaps getting in the way?"

I would think so honestly. Even if it was really discreet I think that people might notice and speculate, and although diaper lovers would rejoice at having somebody so famous promoting their lifestyle perhaps, I think that the average president would be pretty embarrassed if people knew that they wore diapers.

People might notice and speculate (and there has been such speculation about at least three recent US presidents/candidates, though perhaps politically motivated) but they’ll certainly notice and speculate if someone actually wets themselves in public without protection!

I’m not suggesting a NorthShore Megamax, more a discreet pull-up which you can easily dress to disguise, and will probably prevent any accident from being noticeable anyway. There must be loads of famous people who wear diapers/pull-ups and we don’t notice it.

@nappypants

"People might notice and speculate (and there has been such speculation about at least three recent US presidents/candidates, though perhaps politically motivated) but they’ll certainly notice and speculate if someone actually wets themselves in public without protection!

I’m not suggesting a NorthShore Megamax, more a discreet pull-up which you can easily dress to disguise, and will probably prevent any accident from being noticeable anyway. There must be loads of famous people who wear diapers/pull-ups and we don’t notice it."

It reminds me of this episode of the TV show King of the Hill where they were doing a comedy routine where they were making jokes about diapers and then he ended up feeling the guys pants and it turns out he really did wear diapers and it ended up humiliating him. When Hank said that he also wore adult diapers and couldn't name his favorite brand that was when he realized that Hank was just sort of mocking him. He brought up the fact that adult diapers are a multibillion dollar industry and I doubt that the majority of those people are fetishists, so it certainly must be that there are millions of people including celebrities who must wear adult diapers without anybody knowing it, and I think that anybody knowing the contents of anybody's pants is a big scandal no matter what the reason!