Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Pee fetishism in The Divine Comedy (Dante's Inferno)

I found a thread on another forum that spoke of a scene in Dante's Inferno in which Dante gives and receives a golden shower. While I've never read the full divine comedy, I have found no other evidence that such a scene exists. I don't know if it just got lost in translation, or if the versions of the inferno I've found aren't complete, but if anyone knows if this passage exists and could link me to some way to read it, that would be great

Here's the original thread I found https://peefans.com/topic/16414-james-joyce/

4 hours ago, LostLittleOne said:

I have read the whole thing, and I do not recall such a scene.  I could b e forgetting it, but I do not recall that it was there.  I thought I'd be able to see it on my shelf, but I'm not spotting it.  Because I'd like to read it again to be sure of this. 

The excerpt posted certainly doesn't feel like an actual except of Dante's Inferno.  Dante is usually pretty haughty in the inferno and his character arc amounts to him becoming ok with condemning the people in hell.  Whenever Dante failed to condemn the damned Virgil was always quick to chastise him and push him on his journey.  So having both characters receive a golden shower and enjoy it despite knowing that it's what caused the woman to be in hell in the first place sounds wildly out of character and completely against the narrative of the rest of the epic. 

On 12/8/2022 at 3:02 AM, deviomo said:

I found a thread on another forum that spoke of a scene in Dante's Inferno in which Dante gives and receives a golden shower. While I've never read the full divine comedy, I have found no other evidence that such a scene exists. I don't know if it just got lost in translation, or if the versions of the inferno I've found aren't complete, but if anyone knows if this passage exists and could link me to some way to read it, that would be great

Here's the original thread I found https://peefans.com/topic/16414-james-joyce/

I found a copy of the full Divine Comedy, that looks to be a pretty complete english translation. When I have the time and motivation, I'll read through it and if this scene does exist, I'll make another post about it.

On 12/8/2022 at 6:46 PM, Nimbus said:

Well you can try asking @Gothes since they were the one who shared that tidbit last time.  Maybe they have more info for you. 

Oh boy, I complely forgot about this lol

On 12/9/2022 at 12:51 AM, LostLittleOne said:

I have read the whole thing, and I do not recall such a scene.  I could b e forgetting it, but I do not recall that it was there.  I thought I'd be able to see it on my shelf, but I'm not spotting it.  Because I'd like to read it again to be sure of this. 

I found the scene on a different forum where a user posted the whole bit claiming it was an excerpt from the inferno. I haven't read it (yet) so I didn't know if it was indeed a part of the story or not. But because the poetry was nicely written I automatically assumed that it was. That's pretty much all I can say about it.

• 2 months later...