Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Recently I bought some goodnites-brand disposable bed mats intended to protect against bedwetting (frankly to me they just look like puppy pee pads with Goodnites branding, no idea if there's a significant difference). 

Over the past couple weeks I "tested" a couple of them by just peeing on them directly, and they seem to be able to absorb quite a lot. So, a few mornings ago, I decided to a full (purposeful) bedwetting and see how they do.

I put on a pull-up, laid down, tried to relax, and after about 5 minutes was able to let it flow-- I was a bedwetter up until almost my teens, but the subconscious conditioning is pretty strong against going in bed at this point... I've tried a few times in the past, and this was the first time I've really succeeded fully. At first it was just some forced spurts, but once the floodgates opened I was truly able to wet myself fully.

Unfortunately I succeeded a bit too well-- I was laying on my side, which rendered the generic pull-up pretty ineffective and made it a true bed-wetting experience. This was honestly kind of nostalgic for me, bringing back a feeling I hadn't experienced in a long time (with the added charge of being awake and having done it purposefully). Unfortunately, the pee also overflowed the bedwetting pad and left a sizeable wet spot on my mattress - more cleanup than I had bargained for 😕

My next plan is to try two of them, covering a larger area of the bed. The pee seemed to really want to spread upwards rather than down, which surprised me? My shirt ended up getting pretty wet too. The issue is, how I'm nervous about having to clean my mattress again, which isn't what I wanted out of this whole exploration.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any experience with these bed mats, or competing ones, and if there are any strategies to maximize their effectiveness? From a noise & cleanup perspective I'd much prefer something like this, rather than a plastic sheet or the like. Maybe I need to get more effective pullups/diapers, but frankly some leakage is a big part of the appeal for me.

Normally I wouldn't recommend anything from a brick and mortar store, let alone Walmart but, I will give a thumbs up to their bedwetting pads. They are much larger, and cheaper than puppy pads and I use them for the exact scenario you just described. It's rare that I sleep on my side but when I do, diapers often tend to leak. I don't use them often because I have a mattress protector but, they are a great "Just in case" measure if you are staying in a hotel. 

I find that overlapping them as you suggested does pretty well but isn’t foolproof. There are unobtrusive mattress covers that I always have one of on the bed. Doesn’t solve the laundry issue (not a problem for me because I like to see just how much I flooded my sheets in my sleep.) but it does protect your mattress and just wipes clean. Good backup for those pads and goodnites of yours. 

I use a reusable waterproof bed pad on my bed.  It is on top of the bottom sheet so if I wet easy to take it and wash it with my wet clothes and the top sheet and no need to strip the whole bed. 

I also have a waterproof mattress cover under the fitted sheet and one of the white vinyl mattress covers under that for total protection, just in case. 

As a nappy lover, I often wear one overnight. A full waterproof mattress protector is uncomfortable but I do get the occasional leak.  I put a single Tena bed pad beneath my top sheet.  This kind of slight leak can be from the leg or waist of my PVC pants, it isn't a real flood so the pad is laid lengthways and one is sufficient to protect the mattress.

I prepare three pads for situations like bed wetting or nappy changes when my wife might wee over my parts and into my fresh nappy.  Two are laid widthways with the edges just touching, or even with a gap of a few inches , then a 3rd pad is laid across this point so it can become very warm, wet, this inevitable flood finds its way safely to the centre of one or both of the first pair.  These pads provide loads of protection, allowing us to go about our day with confidence ;o)  Often at least one remains dry or has a small trace of overflow, it can be reused later to avoid wastage.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, dandeliontea said:

Recently I bought some goodnites-brand disposable bed mats intended to protect against bedwetting (frankly to me they just look like puppy pee pads with Goodnites branding, no idea if there's a significant difference). 

Over the past couple weeks I "tested" a couple of them by just peeing on them directly, and they seem to be able to absorb quite a lot. So, a few mornings ago, I decided to a full (purposeful) bedwetting and see how they do.

I put on a pull-up, laid down, tried to relax, and after about 5 minutes was able to let it flow-- I was a bedwetter up until almost my teens, but the subconscious conditioning is pretty strong against going in bed at this point... I've tried a few times in the past, and this was the first time I've really succeeded fully. At first it was just some forced spurts, but once the floodgates opened I was truly able to wet myself fully.

Unfortunately I succeeded a bit too well-- I was laying on my side, which rendered the generic pull-up pretty ineffective and made it a true bed-wetting experience. This was honestly kind of nostalgic for me, bringing back a feeling I hadn't experienced in a long time (with the added charge of being awake and having done it purposefully). Unfortunately, the pee also overflowed the bedwetting pad and left a sizeable wet spot on my mattress - more cleanup than I had bargained for 😕

My next plan is to try two of them, covering a larger area of the bed. The pee seemed to really want to spread upwards rather than down, which surprised me? My shirt ended up getting pretty wet too. The issue is, how I'm nervous about having to clean my mattress again, which isn't what I wanted out of this whole exploration.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any experience with these bed mats, or competing ones, and if there are any strategies to maximize their effectiveness? From a noise & cleanup perspective I'd much prefer something like this, rather than a plastic sheet or the like. Maybe I need to get more effective pullups/diapers, but frankly some leakage is a big part of the appeal for me.

I have washable bed Mats from Amazon and they're amazing~ they hold so much I got a 2 pack and I just overlap them. I'm short myself but 2 cover most of my queen size bed. And keep the mattress ok when me and my boyfriend wet ourselves and just cuddle together. I can give u the link, not sure if you're looking for something reusable like that but they're fabric so good to keep quiet too

22 hours ago, dandeliontea said:

Honestly that sounds great to me, I'd definitely like the link just to look into them. Do you just throw them in the washing machine or do you have to hand wash them? If they're machine washable then reusable sounds ideal - saves a lot of money in the long run!

I just toss them in the wash with some towels and dry the same 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B094N5X5VY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title