Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Lauren's Game Thread - Feedback, Discussion, Hints, Spoilers

5 hours ago, Tinkletown said:A video with all the gameplay would be a substantial effort.  If someone else wanted to, I wouldn't stop them, but I wouldn't expect anyone to actually do it. I guess I could create a story version without the minigames for phones or even for people who want to skip the boring bits and just experience the various scenes.

It would be appreciated since I have no way of playing right now 🙂

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently uploaded a game I made to the Downloads section. It's nothing too spectacular, but I did put a lot of work into it. I decided to create this thread as a way of encouraging feedback. Also, i

@AkenoSama I knew it might be a problem for non-native English speakers, but I just didn't know how to make things easier for them without drastically changing things or making them too easy overall.

I just 100%ed the game and thought I might give some feedback/ a review   As for the first game, the theater, I think this is the game at its strongest (though I'm biased in regard for my lo

@Tinkletown A point of feedback I'd like to report for the classroom holding minigame is the behaviour of the word spawns. 

While I understand that it may be a feature and not an unforeseen nuisance, there are times where a word classified as dry spawns on top of a wet word, and registers as a dry hit, which can seem a little unfair since the player's already confirmed their target and made the decision to fire. I'd like to suggest spreading out the spawn points so there's less chance of two words colliding. The fact that the words overlap is a little bit troublesome in general, but you gotta make the player earn their CGs, right? Anyway, impressive effort, looking forward to what you'll offer the community in the future.

Edited by CiaphasMerf (see edit history)

@CiaphasMerf Thanks for the feedback. I was already aware of that issue. I could have, and probably should have, done something about it. I just felt it was a rare enough occurrence to not completely ruin someone's run and added just a hint of difficulty and randomness. That may just be a justification for laziness on my part, but I'll never admit to it publicly.

@WatchMeWiggle That's a complicated subject. I did put a lot of time and effort into the game, and I have nothing against anyone wanting to be compensated for their work. I just don't feel right putting my stuff behind a paywall. If there were some sort of donation system, that would be one thing, but if I charged a flat fee, I'd feel a lot more pressure to deliver a perfect game and try to accommodate everyone's various requests. It would turn it from a hobby into a job, if that makes sense. In a way, it would also limit me creatively. People would expect a certain type of product, so if I wanted to experiment with new things, some people might feel cheated. For now, the fact that you'd be willing to pay is praise enough. So, thank you.

@TheGreatNobody Yeah, git gud! That's what the kids say these days, right? You're not the first person to have trouble beating Clarissa, but it will eventually happen with enough practice and maybe some luck. Hopefully, anyway, or I'm gonna sound like a jerk.

A fine game, and indeed excellent by the usual standards of something of this scale. I particularly like the variety of minigames and the creativity to get reasonably compelling gameplay from the simple mechanics. There's a few more issues like typos (it's spelled "bow-legged", not "bowl-legged", for instance). And as someone said above, the gallery could contain all the pictures from each ending, or even the entire scene (with the animation and text) instead of just a single still image.

Whatever you end up doing with this one, I'll be looking forward to what you come up with next.

@EnragedFilia That's it, I'm firing my editor. I can excuse not knowing all the rules, about where to put a comma, but misspleling words is, too much. Honestly, it is one of the major drawbacks of doing a solo project. I've gone through every bit of the game hundreds of times, but I'm mostly focused on the mechanics.  I often click through the dialogue or just glance over it without really absorbing the words. I am neurotic enough to get annoyed by typos and grammatical errors, and I weirdly feel more compelled to fix them than the more substantial stuff people have suggested.

Here's the thing about adding more to the gallery: I'm sadistic and wanted to force everyone to replay the minigames in order to view the scenes and aftermath images. Or maybe I just didn't think about it. Adding more images is pretty simple enough. Replaying the whole scene is a lot trickier.

I'm kind of torn between wanting to make a small update with some of the feedback in mind and just leaving the game as-is and moving on to other projects.  Most people who were ever going to play this game have already played it, and most of them are already done with it.  How many people are really going to download an updated version of the game just to see a few more images in the gallery? I'd have to make it a more substantial update in order to justify a new download, and that would be more work than anyone is likely to appreciate.

Sorry for rambling a bit there, and thanks for the feedback.

@mustholdit There's a couple hints already out there, but if you're still having trouble I'll add a few more.

Spoiler

In order to beat her, Lauren has to be at her limit in the end.

Spoiler

Self-sabotage can sometimes be beneficial.

And if you don't want to bother figuring it out, the full spoiled solution is:

Spoiler

No diaper, teenage sex wager, no butter, diuretic in both sodas.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really a spectacularly well done game for a one person project. The story and unique dialogues are really nice, the minigames are a fun idea, and a bladder gauge is always great, especially if topped with intriguing animations for the characters as they get increasingly desperate.

The one thing I'd personally wish for to make the game perfect (in my eyes, obviously) would be to somehow include a bit more leaking before the eventual wetting. Like, for example, in a separate desperation stage after a certain bladder gauge level, where there'll be a couple of leaks before the inevitable release.

Concerning the already much discussed basketball game, I'd tend to agree with those saying an option to somehow make it a bit easier would be nice. Beating them all has taken me a lot of attempts, and the one I finally beat Clarissa on felt like it mostly came down to luck, and I had honestly started to get pretty frustrated at that point. So I'm fairly sure people with certain disabilities will effectively have no way to 100% complete the game, missing out on some great unlockable content this way. I absolutely understand the artistic choice to make it challenging but beatable, but for me personally it was tuned up a little too much.

But again, this game is one of the rare gems in the omo niche, so thank you so much for all the effort you've put into it!

Edited by mad cat (see edit history)

@mad catThanks for the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the game.

Adding a leaking component isn't a bad idea, I just think it's one of those things that would be more work than is worth it. The story is already pretty flimsy. The only way I could really rationalize in my mind that all the girls would just stick around to the point of wetting themselves is if they just never even considered the possibility that they could lose control. If they started leaking, then they'd try harder to leave the challenges early making the wetting scenes more complex, particularly the basketball and library ones. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, I'm just saying I was too lazy to do it. It is something to keep in mind, though, for future projects, if there are any.

Yeah, I get it with the Clarissa basketball game. I got so caught up in trying to make something at least somewhat challenging, that I lost sight of the real goal of the game. I mean, it's not Dark Souls. No one's going to be streaming this on twitch or bragging on some subreddit about how they beat the entire game without losing once. That's why I appreciate the feedback I've gotten. I am planning on doing a small update to the game as well as releasing a lite version with very streamlined versions of the minigames. I'll probably adjust the difficulty of the basketball game a bit. 

@Cazo Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I didn't get the notification until just now. There isn't a hidden game, so I'm going to assume you're just talking about unlocking the other images in the gallery. I'll try to make it as clear as possible, as there still seems to be some confusion. I'll dispense with the spoiler tag since the game's been out long enough, and we're on page two of the thread.

In order to unlock the secret endings, you need to complete the first three minigames in a Challenge Mode run without saving, even at the beginning, and without using the diaper. Then, before you take on the last girl, you should be given the option to raise the stakes. Yes changes the scene after the minigame, No keeps it the same as a standard run. Hopefully that clears it up.

Spoiler

Just beat the last of the extra content, very interesting turning all the mechanics around. The fixes to the library is very much welcome. The school extra scene also fixes the problem of the desperation sprites being out of the way (it would be nice if Lauren could also have an accident here but it wouldn't make any sense thematically.) The only real complaint I would have about the new content, funnily it's commented on in game, maybe if the player is too obvious have Janelle notice and have an alternate ending, but I'm sure implementing this would be a real pain. Maybe add in one final diaper challenge to give a sense of symmetry to the project?  Do you plan on doing anything else with this or do you think this is the last update?

Edited by Just Some Guy (see edit history)

@Just Some Guy 

Spoiler

Someone suggested adding Janelle and the teacher to the game, and initially I dismissed it as an unworkable idea. Then I thought it would make for an interesting challenge. I know I could have changed up Lauren's wetting scenes a little more to accommodate Janelle, but that would have required a bit more work than I really wanted to do. I do like symmetry, and I tried to have it in most other parts of the narrative. I wanted to do something with the diaper on the last challenge, but I didn't really know how to make it work without stretching the bonds of reality even more.

I think I'm done with updates on this game. I can't imagine there's anything left to really add to it. I'd rather switch focus to a new project at this point. Thanks again for the feedback.

@LifeIsStrange Well, it is luck-based. Or at least RNG-based. Are you talking about the original version, or the updated one? I did lower the difficulty a bit with the update. It still might be a challenge to beat Clarissa, but I don't think it needs to be too easy. There's always the Lite version that takes the challenge away completely. I'll definitely be more mindful of difficulty levels moving forward.

56 minutes ago, Tinkletown said:

@Just Some Guy 

Reveal hidden contents

Someone suggested adding Janelle and the teacher to the game, and initially I dismissed it as an unworkable idea. Then I thought it would make for an interesting challenge. I know I could have changed up Lauren's wetting scenes a little more to accommodate Janelle, but that would have required a bit more work than I really wanted to do. I do like symmetry, and I tried to have it in most other parts of the narrative. I wanted to do something with the diaper on the last challenge, but I didn't really know how to make it work without stretching the bonds of reality even more.

I think I'm done with updates on this game. I can't imagine there's anything left to really add to it. I'd rather switch focus to a new project at this point. Thanks again for the feedback.

@LifeIsStrange Well, it is luck-based. Or at least RNG-based. Are you talking about the original version, or the updated one? I did lower the difficulty a bit with the update. It still might be a challenge to beat Clarissa, but I don't think it needs to be too easy. There's always the Lite version that takes the challenge away completely. I'll definitely be more mindful of difficulty levels moving forward.

I think it was the updated one.

@mad_mick_atat Crap! I forgot to set the price tag at $50. I was wondering why there were so many downloads, but I wasn't making any money. Oh well, too late now.

Just joking, obviously. As I've said before, I wouldn't feel comfortable charging for my stuff. Though I have no problem with anyone else who does so. I'm just glad so many people seem to have enjoyed it.

@shadowfox1777 Yeah, that was a big part of my motivation in making it. I enjoy visual novels as a medium, and I wanted something with the themes I like taking more of a central role. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. It really does help to know that people appreciate my work.

Edited by Tinkletown (see edit history)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty neat! Fun game with quite a variety of girls, outfits and scenarios.

I won't lie, if the "skip black screen for reference" had been fixed before I completed the game I might not have had as good a time. I do read, and I recognise the books, but I'm terrible at names lol.

If I had to pinpoint something to critisize, it's absolutely the faces. I get they are hard though, so I'll forgive the occasional Tekken-1-Kazuya-CG-faces lmao.

Solid 8/10, hope you build on this! (New girls? New scenarios? Customisation? Sequel? Prequel? Full Lauren's Game Cinematic Universe?)

PS: thanks for the PBSD, Post-Basketball Stress Disorder

@Misteriousmr Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. I figured the library game would be kind of polarizing. It's just the best I could think of that sort of fit in the narrative of the game, and fit my limited programming skills. Similarly, my artistic skills are practically non-existent. I am experimenting with different rendering and post-processing techniques, but I wouldn't expect anything significantly better.

I feel like my work with Lauren's Game is done. I did grow to like some of the characters a little and toyed with the idea of expanding some of the story with a short kinetic novel, but I'm not really sure it would be worth the effort. I've already started work on a couple other projects, but it's going to be a while before I have anything new to share.