Sign In

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 1 of December  

Ok, I was just trying to be nice and assume that you only wanted to avoid using "they" because you thought that it was bad grammar to do so, not that you just wanted to find out if they were a man/wom

Day 7 of December (Epilogue)

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Bombality said:

Day 19

image.thumb.png.e4626d3cef9b23705cfd738bb5764328.png

(also since at least one person wants to know this: if you can't refer to them as... well them, because you feel it's gramatically incorrect, you may refer to them as "she")

Ok. Thank you. I was wondering what gender it was. And was a woman all along so it’s a she. And yeah one of them said I had to call it they, but thankfully now I can call it she now.

8 hours ago, Christian2002 said:

Ok. Thank you. I was wondering what gender it was. And was a woman all along so it’s a she. And yeah one of them said I had to call it they, but thankfully now I can call it she now.

Do- do you have something against using they/them ? It's not that fucking hard-

Also, did you seriously use "IT" ?

Edited by Cyross (see edit history)
1 hour ago, SecretPerson said:

In most cases, nonbinary people find it jarring to be referred to as either "he" or "she", and to address this situation, people in the last few decades have started using the words "they" and "them" for this purpose. At first it may seem strange/wrong to refer to a singular person as "they", but the same thing I said before about respect and symbolism applies to this case as well: by doing it the way the person prefers, you are telling them that you understand and that you care. It sounded ungrammatical to me at first too, but after doing it for a while, it started to sound completely natural.

While I wholehartedly agree with you on the way people can feel about being addressed as if their gender were different, I must admit that I'm still dumbfounded how they seems to have become so generally accepted as the preferred genderneutral pronoun. It is a plural. In my opinion things would have worked out way easier if a new pronoun would have been introduced to respectfully and undisputably refer to a single person in a gender neutral way.

3 hours ago, Cyross said:

Thid may be less weird if you realize English may not be someone's native language. Many - at least European - languages still have a much more recognizable concept of grammatical gender and therefore do have a way to refer to singular, neuter (neither musculine nor feminine) words. That English word that comes closest to that, seems to be it. And it is - as far as I know - only in English where such a word cannot refer to a word refering to a person. So to many people speaking different languages natively (like me), "it" feels like a much more sensible way to refer to a singular person (or object) without a specified gender.

In fact, it makes more sense to me. It 's only because I heared that in English there seems to be concensus to use 'they' instead that I understand people ask to be refer to in that, but while there is no actual word to specifically refer to a singular, gender neutral person, "it" really feels like it should have been the proper word to refer to these people. So when someone who is not a native speaker says that, I consider it much more likely that they don't  know better and actually try to do what seems best than that this should be considered an insult like it may feel like to a native English speaker.

I feel like the point of using 'they' as a gender neutral pronoun is because it's already so naturally part of how we speak. The singular use of they may seem a bit strange but if you think about it a bit more it's a pretty common way to use the word. For example, the sentence 'Ask someone if they could help' should be easy to understand and straightforward. Not a random example, by the way, that was the example sentence under the definition of they reading: "used to refer to a person of unspecified gender". So if you're saying 'they' is only plural I don't know what you're basing that on, because it's not the definition of the word. Also briefly looking at Wikipedia would suggest the singular use of 'they' has been around in English since the 14th century so I'm betting we've all run across it.

It is totally valid to bring up that non-English speakers may have a harder time with this and that it may not be so intuitive. So it would be good to avoid getting too angry at people over things. There's rarely any benefit to getting angry at people over stuff online anyway. Lets just calmly inform people and move on. So, for example, 'it' may feel more intuitive but it's also the incorrect word to use in this context. They can be used singularly and has been used that way for a long while in the English language. Can we all agree to that? 

1 hour ago, Tentacool said:

Excusethe bad timing on my part but I just really wanted to compliment the character design, I really love how you pulled off that Spikey hair look, Bombality! 😮

I have to agree with you. I like the spikey hair look too. It reminds me of Misty's hair design from Pokemon Black & White 2. Bombality really nail the character design. I'm loving this so far but I feel like nobody's paying too much attention because there's like a mini war in the comments right now.

1 hour ago, Feelitflow said:

ok there is no way they're going to make it 

1 hour ago, Tentacool said:

Have you forgotten who's the artist? That bulge will continue to grow, I bet!

Yeah, if this was following the stages of real life desperation, no way, I would be about to run out of them. However, I can just make more 🙂

Edited by Bombality (see edit history)
14 hours ago, Cyross said:

Do- do you have something against using they/them ? It's not that fucking hard-

Of course not. Also please don’t curse at me. I don’t like cursing. I never do that.

12 hours ago, Eddymb28 said:

The fact that so much chaos is happening because Bomb decided that [Insert Name] should be non-binary is ridiculous

Yeah, I know right.

48 minutes ago, Christian2002 said:

Of course not. Also please don’t curse at me. I don’t like cursing. I never do that.

Yeah, I know right.

Sorry for cursing.

It's just that I've seen so many people being horrible to trans characters I kinda jumped into conclusion, and I apologize for that.

Edited by Cyross (see edit history)
17 hours ago, Ishimura said:

I feel like the point of using 'they' as a gender neutral pronoun is because it's already so naturally part of how we speak. The singular use of they may seem a bit strange but if you think about it a bit more it's a pretty common way to use the word. For example, the sentence 'Ask someone if they could help' should be easy to understand and straightforward. Not a random example, by the way, that was the example sentence under the definition of they reading: "used to refer to a person of unspecified gender". So if you're saying 'they' is only plural I don't know what you're basing that on, because it's not the definition of the word.

I based that on totally not thinking about examples like this and never realizing there actually is more singular use of they in English. Thanks for clarifying. I guess that makes it less odd grammar wise.

3 hours ago, Kid_Omo said:

It just occurred to me.  Are we sure they're still drinking the required amount of water?  I'd imagine careful movements would slow that down.  But we don't want them to get dehydrated.

I sure hope so, or that there is a way for us to remind them. Wouldn't want them to get a headache.