Sign In

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 1 of December  

Ok, I was just trying to be nice and assume that you only wanted to avoid using "they" because you thought that it was bad grammar to do so, not that you just wanted to find out if they were a man/wom

Day 7 of December (Epilogue)

Posted Images

So this may sound stupid, but how does non-binary person even work? Like, i get it, we call them "they" and stuff. But how does it work biologically? Shouldn't there be, like, primarily and secondary sexual characteristics and e.t.c.? 

p.s. I'm russian lol people are very intolerant here, and there are almost no non-binaries, so it's harder to understand that

1 hour ago, Redtiger said:

So this may sound stupid, but how does non-binary person even work? Like, i get it, we call them "they" and stuff. But how does it work biologically? Shouldn't there be, like, primarily and secondary sexual characteristics and e.t.c.? 

p.s. I'm russian lol people are very intolerant here, and there are almost no non-binaries, so it's harder to understand that

In my opinion, the root of all modern gender 'problems' is that our concepts of gender and even sexe encompass multiple different things. Even strictly biologically there is the genes, the primary and secondary sexual characteristics you mentioned (both how they developed and how they currently are after possible surgery and/or hormonal therapy), internal reproductive organs, hormones and probably some other things that don't  immediatly jump to my mind right now.

Sociologically, you can add how someone wants to be addressed to that, as well as 'manly' and 'womanly' petsonality traits, clothing style etc. etc. We really associate a lot of things with gender. And in most cases that's  fine as it all adds up and someone has e.g. all the 'male' characteristics in all these categories. But sometimes it doesn't, and someone doesn't  fit fully in either of those two (binary) categories.

Edited by ola93 (see edit history)

We have known cases where there are differences between biological characteristics for a long time, btw. It's mostly differences between the biological and the sociological and psychological aspects that have gotten more attention more recently with people being recognized - at least to an extend in some countries - as transgender, non binary etc.

In a sense I feel like a change like that has also happened with the growing acceptances of gay people etc. Traditionally, feeling attracted to women was a characteristic that was strongly associated with 'being male' and that fit most people, but nowadays we mostly recognize (though probably not in Russia) that there are 'men' who are attracted to men  and 'women' who are attracted to women. In a sense, that's  another example of a system that was binary and has expanded to encompass groups that me be minorities but were found to exist non the less.

18 hours ago, ola93 said:

We have known cases where there are differences between biological characteristics for a long time, btw. It's mostly differences between the biological and the sociological and psychological aspects that have gotten more attention more recently with people being recognized - at least to an extend in some countries - as transgender, non binary etc.

In a sense I feel like a change like that has also happened with the growing acceptances of gay people etc. Traditionally, feeling attracted to women was a characteristic that was strongly associated with 'being male' and that fit most people, but nowadays we mostly recognize (though probably not in Russia) that there are 'men' who are attracted to men  and 'women' who are attracted to women. In a sense, that's  another example of a system that was binary and has expanded to encompass groups that me be minorities but were found to exist non the less.

Okay, thanks, mate!