Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

anyone into history or mapping?

I'm pretty into history in general and admittedly the darker sides of history things like the Holocaust, slavery, dictatorships, Hiroshima. Not so much into maps but I do like history in general and read a lot of history books and magazines and watch lots of history programs.

One particular area of history that seems to be extremely neglected when it comes to real scholarship that was the history of women and bathrooms! I would write a book on it except there isn't much available information to write a book, and if there was that information available well somebody already had done it!

I also write a lot of horror and science fiction and alternate history and time travel stories with historical settings.

17 hours ago, Bothan1138 said:

parts of the Cold War, and the Space Race.

Isn't the space race just parts of the cold war?

5 hours ago, Lisk said:

How do you feel about "the man in the high castle"?

Never personally watched it, but it looks like an interesting series!

I forgot to mention this, but i'm also interested in alternative history.

thanks for all the replies!

Edited by marekmisar (see edit history)
5 hours ago, Lisk said:

How do you feel about "the man in the high castle"?

It’s been a while since I’ve read the book, but there’s a reason it’s one of the cornerstones of Alternate History.

The biggest issue with it is that it caused German Victory in WWII to become a huge cliche in the Alternate History genre.

As for the Amazon series, I enjoyed it for the most part. The world-building was both creepy and interesting at the same time, and you were given characters to care about on all sides of the conflict.

The final season was where things started to get a bit weird for me, and the conclusion felt rushed and unsatisfying. It also left me asking a ton of questions.

I am!! Just a little bit. The Cold War was such an interesting time to me.

WWII is also up my alley! The American Revolution era is also a favorite of mine. I don't really look into it, but someone I'm close too does!

I have a bunch swirling in my head at every moment... So my interest is probably caused by that. Got obsessed with an idea and now it plays on repeat!!

On 10/31/2022 at 10:51 AM, DesperateJill said:

One particular area of history that seems to be extremely neglected when it comes to real scholarship that was the history of women and bathrooms! I would write a book on it except there isn't much available information to write a book, and if there was that information available well somebody already had done it!

Perhaps you could write some historical fiction on what women did when there were no bathrooms to be found, what great efforts they made to hold and the alternative forms of relief they found?

@glad1

"Perhaps you could write some historical fiction on what women did when there were no bathrooms to be found, what great efforts they made to hold and the alternative forms of relief they found?"

I did do one story that I posted here and in my blog that took place during the 1960s during the freedom rides and how a black woman was unable to find a colored toilet in order to relieve herself due to racism. I have a couple of other stories that might have historical settings, as I think that that is something that hasn't been done very much with omorashi, and it really makes a lot of sense to do so seeing as in the past women had even fewer options for relief.

7 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@glad1

"Perhaps you could write some historical fiction on what women did when there were no bathrooms to be found, what great efforts they made to hold and the alternative forms of relief they found?"

I did do one story that I posted here and in my blog that took place during the 1960s during the freedom rides and how a black woman was unable to find a colored toilet in order to relieve herself due to racism. I have a couple of other stories that might have historical settings, as I think that that is something that hasn't been done very much with omorashi, and it really makes a lot of sense to do so seeing as in the past women had even fewer options for relief.

The historical aspect of desperation and relief is an absolutely fascinating concept and coincidentally one I am actively working on too, in the form of the little desperation comics I produce. I would certainly be interested in any thing you write on the subject

@bustin2pee

"The historical aspect of desperation and relief is an absolutely fascinating concept and coincidentally one I am actively working on too, in the form of the little desperation comics I produce. I would certainly be interested in any thing you write on the subject"

I did have another one that I haven't gotten around to writing yet that was going to take place in the old South where some racist old southern ladies who own a plantation and have clothing that is making it impossible to urinate are being tortured by the slaves who get revenge on them by peeing in the field within sight of them knowing that they can't go to the bathroom, the irony being even slaves have more freedom to urinate than they do.

2 hours ago, Zhannapeed623 said:

I love history! I'm really big into the transformation of feudal japan into a modern industrial society, and its associated struggles with militarism and shinto/fascism. Anything involving the japanese empire in the 2nd Sino Japanese war, and in particular the pacific war. One of my ultimate favorites to read and study and chat endlessly about. 

Should i say something rude?

Yes.

You're a weeb.

(i'm sorry)

2 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@bustin2pee

"The historical aspect of desperation and relief is an absolutely fascinating concept and coincidentally one I am actively working on too, in the form of the little desperation comics I produce. I would certainly be interested in any thing you write on the subject"

I did have another one that I haven't gotten around to writing yet that was going to take place in the old South where some racist old southern ladies who own a plantation and have clothing that is making it impossible to urinate are being tortured by the slaves who get revenge on them by peeing in the field within sight of them knowing that they can't go to the bathroom, the irony being even slaves have more freedom to urinate than they do.

Oh wow, tortured by not being allowed to pee is awakening the darker side in me! I hope you will eventually write that story.

@bustin2pee

"Oh wow, tortured by not being allowed to pee is awakening the darker side in me! I hope you will eventually write that story."

I definitely plan to write it because I put it on my priority list of stories I'm definitely going to do. Of course I put it on that list in December 2020 because when you put too many stories on your priority list it kind of defeats the purpose of having a priority list. Speaking of which once I'm done posting this it's time for me to go through my notebooks and think of which stories I'm going to add to the priority list…

I love history anything to do with WWII and the pacific side of WWII as well. I find both sides so interesting between the rise of Germany and the Holocaust and how America did not want to enter the war till late. The reasons for the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor and how America got into the Pacific War. 

• 3 weeks later...

@Zhannapeed623

"On another topic though, I've been getting really into world war one lately."

I think that World War I often gets overlooked because World War II was more prevaling in the popular consciousness, and because there are still some elderly veterans alive, so I think it's more part of people's experience. There was briefly a more of a surge of an interest in World War I around the Centennial but I still think that World War II tends to overshadow World War I in most people's minds, and is much more in the popular culture, but I do share that interest in World War I too. I feel like you can't fully understand World War II if you don't understand the first one that led to the conditions that created the second one.

19 hours ago, Zhannapeed623 said:

True I suppose, but... and I know I'm gonna get so much shit for this. I am not an anime person. I have no problems with it, but its definitely not a reason for my fascination with Japan lol! 

On another topic though, I've been getting really into world war one lately. Alot of interesting and crucial stuff gets overlooked. The eastern front, the colonial wars in Africa. The Pacific battles. Plus I love a good debate about why battleships were always a bad idea.... wink wink 🤣!! 

I actually didn't know what a weeb was until like 2 years ago 🤣🤣!!! 

I am also fascinted with WW I and espeicially the breakup of Austria-Hungary, it's a really interseting topic. And i agree that the eastern front is sadly overlookedby most poeple, but it's still really interesting!

19 hours ago, Zhannapeed623 said:

On another topic though, I've been getting really into world war one lately. Alot of interesting and crucial stuff gets overlooked. The eastern front, the colonial wars in Africa. The Pacific battles.

Very true that most coverage of WW1 centres around the Western front trench warfare with very little mention of the other theatres of war. From my own (British) point of view, there is also the disaster of the Gallipoli campaign and the actions in the Mjddle East/Mesopotamia areas against the Turkish which don't get a lot of attention.