Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female Having to pee so bad it raised my blood pressure!

I've heard the same thing.

I was in the hospital once for a couple of hours.

There were other people in the same room.
There was also a woman who had been there already for a while and she got a "hose" / "pipe" / "tube" (something?) in her hand and she had to stay still, I don't know what it is called in English.
I heard when she asked the nurse how long the procedure would take because she would have to visit the toilet soon.
The nurse said about 10 minutes, and asked if the woman could wait that time.
And the woman said she can wait.

10 minutes later, the nurse came to remove the tube and said that now the woman can go to the toilet, but she has to come back afterwards to measure her blood pressure.
The woman replied that she can wait until the blood pressure is measured first, she is not in such a hurry.
But the nurse replied cheerfully that it's better for her to go to the toilet first, because needing to pee might raises her blood pressure.

I think that makes perfect sense honestly, if you have to go to the bathroom bad enough that is a source of stress and stress raises the blood pressure. Just like when I have been vomiting a lot my blood pressure is often really high because you are putting a strain on your body. Having to pee isn't as much of a strain as vomiting I wouldn't think, but I definitely think that the stress of using your strength to hold in a full bladder is probably going to get your heart racing a little bit faster.

Holding a full bladder can be like a mild work out in and of itself sometimes!

39 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

I think that makes perfect sense honestly, if you have to go to the bathroom bad enough that is a source of stress and stress raises the blood pressure. Just like when I have been vomiting a lot my blood pressure is often really high because you are putting a strain on your body. Having to pee isn't as much of a strain as vomiting I wouldn't think, but I definitely think that the stress of using your strength to hold in a full bladder is probably going to get your heart racing a little bit faster.

That's exactly what I thought. In the OPs case they were holding quite a lot. Maybe they were stressing out about if they were going to make it?

Or just the thought of "Oh no. What if I pee myself right now. In front of this nurse."

Definitely would cause someone to stress out.

7 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

In this case, blood pressure is usually high because of dehydration. But there is some strain that takes places during the actual vomiting process that would temporarily increase blood pressure.

19 hours ago, blakgrlmajic91 said:

It turns out having to pee really bad raises blood pressure significantly! So here is how I found that out…

On Tuesday I had an AM appointment. Since it’s the morning I had my usual coffee and water. It’s about a 30 minute drive to the place but since I had so much to drink I already felt the need to pee when I got there. My goal was to hold it through the appointment since I don’t like going in public bathrooms if I can help it and it was supposed to be fairly quick. But it turns out I went to the wrong location for my appointment lol. So frustrated and having to pee even more I had another 20 minute drive and I’m really starting to have to pee. No big deal I thought…it’ll be quick once I arrive. So I get there and I walk up to receptionist and all the pressure was pushing down at that point. I’m struggling to disguise how bad I have to go. I was discretely bouncing my leg up and down and when that wasn’t working as well I started to cross my legs one over the other and then switch as I’m talking to her. Some people come up behind me and I am sure they saw what was going on. I finally got to sit down and thankfully it wasn’t long before the nurse took me. I went back and I literally could not keep still. She went to take my blood pressure and it was really high and so I ended up telling her that I had to pee really bad and it was a little stressful because I had gone to the wrong location first. She laughed and said yes having to pee  will do that to you. I kind of laughed it off with her but really I was surprised with myself because I usually don’t tell people when I have to pee. I just figured it must be so obvious to her and I should offer some explanation for the high blood pressure. But anyway, she told me that when everything was done I could go to the bathroom. The whole time she was trying to make small talk while completing her tasks and kept mentioning how sorry she was that everything was going more slowly. I really felt like she was trying to keep it light. She also joked and said that it’s only because I said I needed to pee that things were taking so long. I was actually starting to get pretty desperate but trying hard to keep somewhat composed but I was definitely doing the pee pee dance. I would be able to sit still for a few seconds but the urge would hit and I would start bouncing slightly and crossing my legs tight again. I held it through the appointment but it was a struggle! I thanked the nurse for being so kind through my appointment. Instead of going to the bathroom there I went to my car and drove until I got to some of the back roads by my house and peed by the side of the road. Couldn’t quite make it home but the release felt amazing!

That makes a lot of sense but hadn’t considered it before.

I am impressed at your waiting though and would love to know more about the drive and what led you to pee beside the road so close to home. I bet it felt amazing to finally let it flow 

20 hours ago, blakgrlmajic91 said:

It turns out having to pee really bad raises blood pressure significantly! So here is how I found that out…

On Tuesday I had an AM appointment. Since it’s the morning I had my usual coffee and water. It’s about a 30 minute drive to the place but since I had so much to drink I already felt the need to pee when I got there. My goal was to hold it through the appointment since I don’t like going in public bathrooms if I can help it and it was supposed to be fairly quick. But it turns out I went to the wrong location for my appointment lol. So frustrated and having to pee even more I had another 20 minute drive and I’m really starting to have to pee. No big deal I thought…it’ll be quick once I arrive. So I get there and I walk up to receptionist and all the pressure was pushing down at that point. I’m struggling to disguise how bad I have to go. I was discretely bouncing my leg up and down and when that wasn’t working as well I started to cross my legs one over the other and then switch as I’m talking to her. Some people come up behind me and I am sure they saw what was going on. I finally got to sit down and thankfully it wasn’t long before the nurse took me. I went back and I literally could not keep still. She went to take my blood pressure and it was really high and so I ended up telling her that I had to pee really bad and it was a little stressful because I had gone to the wrong location first. She laughed and said yes having to pee  will do that to you. I kind of laughed it off with her but really I was surprised with myself because I usually don’t tell people when I have to pee. I just figured it must be so obvious to her and I should offer some explanation for the high blood pressure. But anyway, she told me that when everything was done I could go to the bathroom. The whole time she was trying to make small talk while completing her tasks and kept mentioning how sorry she was that everything was going more slowly. I really felt like she was trying to keep it light. She also joked and said that it’s only because I said I needed to pee that things were taking so long. I was actually starting to get pretty desperate but trying hard to keep somewhat composed but I was definitely doing the pee pee dance. I would be able to sit still for a few seconds but the urge would hit and I would start bouncing slightly and crossing my legs tight again. I held it through the appointment but it was a struggle! I thanked the nurse for being so kind through my appointment. Instead of going to the bathroom there I went to my car and drove until I got to some of the back roads by my house and peed by the side of the road. Couldn’t quite make it home but the release felt amazing!

Great story!

It must be really inconvenient not beinng able to use public bathrooms, and having to find somewhere where you can pee outside when you can't wait any longer 

@ews21

"In this case, blood pressure is usually high because of dehydration. But there is some strain that takes places during the actual vomiting process that would temporarily increase blood pressure."

True I'm always dehydrated when I'm in the hospital as that's the main thing that gets me there because all of the vomiting does leave me dehydrated. But it's definitely true that a lot of the times when the nurse takes my vital signs and if my blood pressure is really high it usually is right after I just had a fit of vomiting. So sometimes they will wait until I stop vomiting and then take it again and they will get a more normal reading.

5 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@ews21

"In this case, blood pressure is usually high because of dehydration. But there is some strain that takes places during the actual vomiting process that would temporarily increase blood pressure."

True I'm always dehydrated when I'm in the hospital as that's the main thing that gets me there because all of the vomiting does leave me dehydrated. But it's definitely true that a lot of the times when the nurse takes my vital signs and if my blood pressure is really high it usually is right after I just had a fit of vomiting. So sometimes they will wait until I stop vomiting and then take it again and they will get a more normal reading.

I know that sensation well. I do the same thing. Although a higher blood pressure when someone is dehydrated is better than a low blood pressure

Yes, having a full bladder does cause an elevated blood pressure. Over 20 years ago I suffered a spinal cord injury that interrupted signals between my bladder and brain. At first what my brain interpreted as gotta go RIGHT NOW was really “you’re already wet”. One time I was rushed by my then wife into a Dr. appointment. The nurse measured my blood pressure which was way high. She took off the cuff and a few seconds later it was obvious I peed in my pants. I didn’t have any spare clothes. She measured my blood pressure. It was much lower.

3 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

Why is high blood pressure better when dehydrated?

When you’re very dehydrated, various tissues in your body are pulling in as much water as they can to feed themselves, which means a corresponding drop in blood volume. Less blood circulating means less pressure exerted against blood vessel walls (i.e., lower blood pressure.

@BladderChamp

"When you’re very dehydrated, various tissues in your body are pulling in as much water as they can to feed themselves, which means a corresponding drop in blood volume. Less blood circulating means less pressure exerted against blood vessel walls (i.e., lower blood pressure."

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense, the blood pressure goes up as the body is less struggling to get every last available bit of water.

7 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@ews21

"I know that sensation well. I do the same thing. Although a higher blood pressure when someone is dehydrated is better than a low blood pressure"

Why is high blood pressure better when dehydrated?

So ideally properly hydrated bp is 90-140 systolic. If you are dehydrated, blood pressure can rise (this is a mid stage finding to dehydration, the first is an increase in pulse) as a response to retain more water (and maintain circulation). If it drops below 90 then you have a serious problem as your body is failing to compensate. So a patient with 150/90 vomiting all day is much better than 80/60 vomiting all day as the first patient can still compensate while the second is crashing. This is a summary so I have left out some details for brevity.

@ews21

"So ideally properly hydrated bp is 90-140 systolic. If you are dehydrated, blood pressure can rise (this is a mid stage finding to dehydration, the first is an increase in pulse) as a response to retain more water (and maintain circulation). If it drops below 90 then you have a serious problem as your body is failing to compensate. So a patient with 150/90 vomiting all day is much better than 80/60 vomiting all day as the first patient can still compensate while the second is crashing. This is a summary so I have left out some details for brevity."

I think that sounds about right because when I am vomiting I often do have a blood pressure that goes into about 150, which I guess while that is bad it is better than having it low and usually doesn't get them too alarmed. Usually they will take it again soon afterwards and usually once I start vomiting it starts to even out a little bit more.

3 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

@ews21

"So ideally properly hydrated bp is 90-140 systolic. If you are dehydrated, blood pressure can rise (this is a mid stage finding to dehydration, the first is an increase in pulse) as a response to retain more water (and maintain circulation). If it drops below 90 then you have a serious problem as your body is failing to compensate. So a patient with 150/90 vomiting all day is much better than 80/60 vomiting all day as the first patient can still compensate while the second is crashing. This is a summary so I have left out some details for brevity."

I think that sounds about right because when I am vomiting I often do have a blood pressure that goes into about 150, which I guess while that is bad it is better than having it low and usually doesn't get them too alarmed. Usually they will take it again soon afterwards and usually once I start vomiting it starts to even out a little bit more.

Technically vomiting is increasing the blood pressure by constricting the aorta/main branches off by increasing pressure in the chest. So it is a separate process to the one I described.