Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your decision has been made: you are going to Make Nyssa Pee First. Your choices have reached their ultimate conclusion, and you shall soon learn of their consequence.   One thing was clear

Your decision has been made: you are going to Pace yourself as Nemean suggests. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.   “Yeah. Yeah, you’re right. I guess sacrificing myself here

Your decision has been made: you are going to Ally with Orca. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.   No, no. You just couldn’t betray Orca now. The moment you two had shared tog

Posted Images

Your decision has been made: you are going to pair up with Siren. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.

You think things over. Would it be better to go with someone who needed to pee badly, given the game? Your eyes fall towards Siren. She’s looking right back at you, expectantly. Some part of you seems to trust her, despite the fact that you just met. Why?

“I… I’ll go with Siren.”

Rocker nods. “In that case, I’ll go with Orca.”

“That leaves me and Nemean. Very well.”

“O-oh! Yes, let’s g-go.”

“That speaking metal can better let us do another round quickly! Waiting’s, like, no good at all.”

“Ditto. However, we have no idea what’s behind these doors. We need to be careful.”

“Isn’t it pretty likely we’re going to be forced to do some kind of test? Something related to the DP game?”

“Given the nature of the game,” you can’t help but push your legs together slightly. “even just waiting around doing nothing would be a kind of test.”

“Regardless, we can’t afford to stand around. We should go. Everyone, please be careful in there.”

You nod. Everyone heads through one of the three open doors. Inside is a tiny hallway, no larger than a closet with another closed door at the end. It feels vaguely sci-fi to you, reminiscent of a decontamination chamber. The metal door slides shut behind you. After a few seconds, the secondary door opens, and you are let inside a larger room.

The room is completely white, which an extremely sparse interior. The only feature is a pillar in the middle of the room. Walking closer, you realize the pillar has a computer screen on either side. The screens are completely blank. Before you have any time to examine them further, the mechanical voice returns.

Each participant has now entered the game rooms in pairs. The Voting Game will now begin. Each participant will receive one vote, which they may cast for any other participant including for themselves, or nobody. After ten minutes, the votes will be tallied. If any player receives more votes than any other player, that player will be awarded one DP. Any player who receives zero votes will be required to drink diuretic liquid. That will be all.

As soon as the voice finishes speaking, the screens on the pillar light up. You see six buttons, one for each participant. Nemean, Siren, Orca, Rocker, Mime, Chatty. You move over to the other side of the pillar, where Siren is examining her screen. She turns towards you.

“Is it the same thing on the other side?”

“Yeah. It seems that we need to vote for somebody, and whoever receives the most votes will get 1 DP.”

“That’s good, right? Though it also said whoever receives no votes will have to drink a diuretic.”

“Any ideas on who to vote for?”

“Maybe Orca, since she needs to pee the worst?”

You think for a moment. That would potentially bring Orca to 3 DP, assuming she got the most votes. “That might be a viable strategy. Though, if everyone thought the same way, everyone but Orca would be forced to drink.”

“Yeah… you’re right. So what do we do?”

“I’m not sure. Let’s consider what outcome would be best, perhaps?”

Siren thinks for a moment. “The best possible result would be if everyone other than two participants receiving 1 vote, and the remaining participants receiving 0 and 2 votes respectively. That way, one person gets the extra DP and only one person has to take the diuretic.”

“The problem is that we don’t know how the other groups will vote.”

“Right. We might be able to guess some of them though.”

“Orca is probably going to vote for herself, right? It seems likely Mime will too, and Rocker might also do that.”

“That would leave Nemean. Given she just used the toilet, she’s probably going to be the most likely to vote for someone else, right? If everyone else comes to that conclusion, it seems the most likely everyone other than Nemean will vote for themselves. That way, we would end up with my ideal outcome.”

You think. Were you missing something? It almost seemed too easy, but you couldn’t find any problems with Siren’s logic. Something was nagging you though. Something that had been bothering you for a while now. Some feeling you couldn’t quite put your finger on. What was it?

“It’s like a game of chicken…”

“Huh?”

“If everyone votes for themselves, we lose out on the potential reward of extra DP. However, you do not want to vote for someone who is already receiving enough votes to win anyway. So you’re essentially trying to figure out who is going to be the first to vote for someone other than themselves. You want to play it safe, but not too safe.”

“Except we know Nemean has much less to lose than everyone else.”

“Yeah. You’re right, it’s just… I don’t know. I feel like we’re missing something, but I’m drawing a blank.”

So you weren’t the only one. “Yeah. Me too, actually. But if we can’t think of anything else, shouldn’t we act on the line of reasoning we have?”

Five minutes remain until votes are tallied. If any player wishes to cast a vote, they must do so before then.

“Well. We can keep thinking about this for a while, but soon we’ll have to make a decision.” You walk over to the other side of the pillar.

“Okay. Let’s think this over one last time, and then cast our votes.”

You look at the names on the screen. Who should you and Siren cast your votes for?

DECISION – Who do you vote for?
ORCA
SIREN
ROCKER
NEMEAN
MIME
CHATTY

DECISION – Who do you suggest Siren votes for?
ORCA
SIREN
ROCKER
NEMEAN
MIME
CHATTY

Edited by DerivativeWings (see edit history)

Your decision has been made: you are going to vote for yourself and Orca. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.

“First, I need to confirm something. How badly do you need to pee, Siren?”

“Oh- well… I’m still doing fine, more or less.”

“In that case, I think we should vote for Orca and myself.”

“Do you want to explain your reasoning?”

“Sure. Basically, I think we were overthinking things before. And also, I think it’s actually you who has the least to lose here, not Nemean. After all, you’re doing quite good on DP, and you also don’t need to pee so badly. It’s possible Nemean would want to vote for herself since it might actually be a really long time before she gets to use the toilet again.”

Though you can’t see Siren behind the pillar, you can imagine her facial expression, lost in thought. “I guess that does make sense. I’ll vote for you now, then.”

You hear a light beeping sound, probably as Siren enters her vote. Some strange premonition is still tugging at you. Why did Siren voting just now make you feel anxious? No matter. You press the button labeled “Orca”. Another beep, and then the screen goes blank.

“I guess all that’s left to do now is wait.”

“Yeah… Hopefully, everyone else will vote quickly. I guess… maybe we can talk about something while we wait?”

“Sure, let’s! Do you have anything you want to ask me about?”

“Hmm.” She thinks for a moment. “Do you have any movies, books or music you really like?”

You’re caught completely off guard by the question. “I… um… I guess I like relaxing music?”

Siren looks a little sheepish. “Sorry. That kind of conversation probably isn’t appropriate given where we are. It was just the first thing that popped into my head. I’ll try a different question instead; can you remember anything before you came to this place?”

“Yeah. I remember being at home by myself. I was up late studying. I was-” You clear your throat. “I was about to go to the toilet when I was knocked out, somehow.”

Siren nods. “For me, I was out in the forest on a walk. I was about to ‘use the bushes’-” She makes air quotes. “-and then I was also knocked out. Hm.” She looks a little puzzled.

“What’s up?”

“Well, it’s just that, I had to pee somewhat badly back then. I don’t know how much time had passed since then, but based on your story it seems like we were all taken at a time when we had to pee, maybe? I don’t have to pee as badly now, I don’t think. Or at least it should be worse than it is, if it’s been a while.”

“Maybe we were just captured at different times? I can’t imagine you were out in the forest that late at night.”

“I-um.” She looks away. “I’m actually a bit of a night owl. It quite was dark.”

What did this mean? Since you had needed to pee before the game started, you had assumed some kind of continuity. But… how long had really passed since you were kidnapped? You had no idea.

All votes for the Voting Game have now been tallied. The results are: Nobody received more votes than any other player. In addition, participants Nemean and Siren will receive a dose of diuretic liquid. In three minutes, the doors will open and the Voting Game will end. Participants who do not drink their diuretic liquid before then will receive a DP penalty. DP penalties applied to players who currently have 0 DP will be applied the next time they gain DP.

On cue, a compartment in the middle pillar slides open, revealing a glass filled with a liquid.

“Wait… what just happened?”

“There must have been a tie. Shit, maybe Nemean decided to vote for Rocker or something?”

“Because she has no DP…”

“Well, we won’t know for sure until we get back outside. But before then…” You glance toward the liquid.

“Right. I guess this is for me.” Siren heads over to the glass, and quickly downs it.

You wait in silence. What had really happened? Had you made the wrong call? Nemean voting for Rocker made sense – Rocker was at 0 DP and had also expressed that she needed to pee, yet…

The doors open with a swoosh.

You and Siren exit, just as Rocker and Orca do. Mime and Nemean come out of their room moments after.

“So it was a tie.” Mime looks disappointed.

“What even happened?”

“Nemean and Siren were the only people who had to drink, so were the only ones who voted for people other than themselves. I’m guessing Rocker and Orca?”

“Damn. Shit!” Orca looks around, then clicks her tongue. “I suppose it can’t be helped. Thanks for giving it a solid effort even if… Damn, that sucks!”

“Just to be clear, who did everyone vote for?”

“Both me and Orca voted for ourselves.”

“And I don’t want any shit for it! I’m on thin ice out here!”

“M-me and Mime voted for him, a-and Orca.” Mime nods to confirm this. “I’m also quite desperate.”

“S-sorry. I should have realized you would go for Rocker, given her low DP.”

“I see. Yes, it is unfortunate that things ended up as they did.”

For a moment, you are stunned by the double whammy of Nemean saying she voted Orca, and Siren letting it go so easily. However-

Voting for the second round of the DP game will close in 20 minutes. Please review the rules screen to see the current matchups. That will be all.

As everyone starts walking towards the screen, you get an opportunity to consider the situation. Orca, Mime and Rocker are all visibly desperate. Nemean still seems fairly shaken, so her nervousness from before was probably a little more than just her desperation. As for yourself, you are rapidly hitting the point of seriously needing to use the bathroom. As you approach the screen, you realize why Siren may have done what she just did. Feelings of distrust could be disastrous heading into the second round of the DP game, with so many people near the edge. And while someone was lying about their vote just now, that knowledge was useless unless you actually knew who it was. Your head is swimming with the possibilities as you reach the screen.

Current DP and matchups
Room 1 - Nemean [0 DP] versus Siren [2 DP]
Room 2 - Chatty [0 DP] versus Rocker [0 DP]
Room 3 - Orca [2 DP] versus Mime [2 DP]

You realize Mime is staring intently at the board.

“These matchups are not exactly ideal for either you or me, Orca.”

Rocker stands between you and Orca, obscuring your view of her. “No. We… should probably talk this over before we vote. Let’s go.” The two head off.

“Hey, Chatty.” You turn and raise your head slightly. “We need to discuss our vote as well.”

You give Siren a glance over the shoulder. She gives you a concerned look. You would like to discuss what just happened with her, but it doesn’t seem like you have a chance to talk with her in private for now. She heads off together with Nemean. You and Rocker stay near the board.

“So, let me just come out and say it. One of us is going to vote ‘Betray’ this round, and the other will vote ‘Ally’. We need to figure out which one of us will do which.”

You think it over. You need to pee quite badly, and you get the sense Rocker has it pretty bad too. You’re also both at 0 DP, rock bottom. If one of you votes betray and the other ally, one of you will end up at 2 DP.

“Why shouldn’t we both vote ‘Ally’?”

“There are two reasons for that.” Rocker adjusts her stance. “First, we need to avoid the worst-case scenario of double betray. If one of us promises the vote “Betray”, we can ensure the other person has nothing to gain by also voting ‘Betray’. Secondly, I think I’m close to the end of my rope. Getting to 1 DP now would only be a waste if I end up wetting myself anyway.”

You think about what she means. It was extremely likely you would both wet yourselves if you slowly accrued DP by voting ‘Ally’ over and over at this point.

“If you are adamant about this, I guess I have no choice but to go along with it.”

“I’m glad you see where I’m coming from.” Rocker crosses one leg over the other. “As I said, I’m close to my limit. I will consider your point of view, but ideally I would like to be the one to betray you.”

You consider your options. Rocker did seem genuinely desperate, but then again you didn’t exactly love the idea of being stuck at 0 DP as your bladder kept filling. Your mind also keeps wandering to the failed vote. Who was lying about their vote, and why?

DECISION – Choose one
I SHOULD BE THE ONE TO BETRAY
I SHOULD BE THE ONE TO BETRAY (LIE)
ROCKER SHOULD BE THE ONE TO BETRAY

DEDUCTION – Who is not being truthful about their vote?
ORCA
SIREN
ROCKER
NEMEAN
MIME
CHATTY

Your decision has been made: you are going to tell Rocker to betray you. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.

“I might really come to regret this, but I agree. You should be the one to betray here.”

Rocker seems immediately relieved. “I was really hoping you would say that. I-Well, I didn’t want to strongarm you in case you didn’t have much time, but…” She bites her lip.

“To be frank, I won’t last forever either. But if you only have a couple of rounds left at most, it really is best if you’re the one to betray here.”

“Thanks. I won’t forget this.”

The two of you head over to the voting booths. It seems the other two pairs have already entered. The doors close shut behind you as you enter your own booth opposite to Rocker’s. Once again you are inside the metal container with the strange device. No hesitation this time – you press “Ally” just as you promised Rocker.

Then you wait. And wait. You know it’s just supposed to be a few minutes, but it’s strange to suddenly be left alone with your thoughts like this. And your bladder. You can’t help but feel for the participants who have it worse than you in this regard. For Orca, Mime and Rocker, every minute must feel like an eternity with nothing to distract them.

Your thoughts wander. Who was lying about their vote last game? And more importantly, why? No matter how hard you thought, you just couldn’t make sense of it. Rocker, Orca and Mime did not stand to gain by voting for anyone other than themselves. That would just force them to drink the diuretic, and most likely tie to vote as a consequence. That left Siren and Nemean, but neither of them made any sense either. If Nemean was lying, wouldn’t that just mean she had voted for herself? If that was the case, Orca would still have gotten the most points. Did Nemean have some other reason to purposefully tie the vote? You couldn’t think of any. Siren also didn’t make any sense, since you were almost certain she had voted for you. After all, you had not been forced to drink any diuretic. It really did seem Nemean was the only one who could have done it, but… You really could not think of a reason why she would. Had she just made a mistake? Maybe you needed to confront her about this later?

As you finish your thought, the doors behind you open.

Voting for the second round of the DP game has concluded. Please review voting results on the display in the main area. After results are displayed, the toilet will become available for a time to anyone with enough DP.

You speed past Orca and Mime, reaching the screen ahead of anyone else.

Nemean

Siren

Chatty

Rocker

Mime

Orca

Current DP

Vote

Ally

Ally

Ally

Betray

Betray

Betray

DP Change

+1

+1

+2

+0

+0

DP Result

You look over at Mime and Orca as they arrive behind you. Neither of them seems especially pleased when they notice the result, and they seem to be conspicuously avoiding looking at each other. You decide to head on over to speak with Orca to spare the two of them some awkwardness.

“So, how are you holding up?”

Orca clicks her tongue. “Abso-bloody-lutely wonderful, thanks for asking.” She turns away for a moment. “Sorry, that was… I gotta pee, alright. It’s bad.”

Rocker sneaks up behind you. “Hey, if it’s any consolation, nobody using the toilet this round is a big fuckin’ relief to me. I think I have one more round before my bladder fills to the brim, honestly.”

“It… actually is. Sorry. I’m so focused on how badly I need to go that, well…” She takes a moment to compose herself. “Let’s both pee next round, alright?”

“Yeah. Though you should probably go first.”

Orca presses her legs together. “I’ll hold you to that, for sure. You’re not allowed to change your mind later!”

You decide not to bring up the fact that you’re also rather full, for now. You should be able to make it for a few more rounds… probably. Either way, it’s going to be a lot easier to focus on getting relief for yourself once everyone more desperate than you had gotten theirs.

You can see Nemean and Siren speaking to each other elsewhere. What are they talking about? Is it possible that Siren also suspects Nemean after the voting game? You’re just about to go join them, when-

The opportunity to use the toilet has now passed until the next round of the DP game. As nobody used the toilet this round, the DP cost remains at 4 DP.

Unsurprising, as nobody had the prerequisite 4 DP. You wonder if anyone would have waited an extra round for everyone else to catch up? Before you can finish the thought, the voice interrupts you again.

The first round of the DP game has now concluded. Three doors have opened in the main area. Enter these rooms in pairs of two. Participants may pair up as they wish, but exactly two people must enter each room. Failure to comply will result in a DP penalty.

It seemed like you would be paired up once again, probably to play one of those intermediary games. This might be your chance to confront people in private about their actions during the voting game. It also seemed like these games would force anyone who made the wrong move to drink. You didn’t exactly relish the thought of filling up on diuretic while you were at 0 DP.

Orca is the first to speak up. “I want to say I don’t, like, blame Mime for betraying me and stuff. But I don’t want to go with him right now.”

Mime shrugs, which seems also throw him slightly off balance. He brings his legs together a little closer. “T-that’s fine by me.”

“I know Chatty got to decide first last time, but I propose she gets the first pick this time too. She’s the only one at 0 DP, after all.”

“T-that’s f-fine by me.” You have a hard time reading Nemean. You haven’t really noticed a change in demeanor since the voting game, but then again she’s been staying off your radar for the most part. And she’s always seemed a little nervous. Before she used the toilet, you had assumed it was due to a need to pee. It’s not like it was unreasonable to be scared but… was there something else going on here? You couldn’t tell.

You realize everyone else is staring at you, waiting for your decision. You snap out of it. “Oh. Um, yeah. I guess I’ll go with…”

DECISION – Who to pair up with?
ORCA
SIREN
ROCKER
NEMEAN
MIME