Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Foreword: Updates will not be as frequent as the first time around. If you want to start by reading the first DP Game you can do so in the original thread or here. Reading the first part is, however, not a prerequisite to understand the second.

A Beginning

You wake in a dimly-lit room you do not recognize, slumped against a cold surface. The walls around you seem sturdy in a kind of rough way, dull metal or perhaps concrete. You initially feel a sense of muted panic, with questions like “where am I?”, “what is happening?” “am I in danger?” whirling around in your groggy head. However, as you come to, you try to ignore those thoughts as you look around the room to figure out where in the world you are.

You look around. The room is small, but not claustrophobic. There is no apparent light source anywhere, though the room is not quite pitch black. You see a table on the other end of the room, and there appears to be two glasses of water on it. You stand upright to examine the strange setup, but as you do you realize there is a second person in the room with you, sitting against the wall as you were. The person appears to be a young man roughly your age, fast asleep. He seems about your height, so a little short for a guy. He seems to have a somewhat restless expression in his sleep, but his facial features are otherwise fairly soft. You can’t really tell what hair color he has because of the darkness and the green beanie he’s wearing, but you think he might be blonde.

You shake his shoulders in an attempt to wake him.

“Huh?” The unknown person attempts to stand up, but is still somewhat incapacitated. “Where… are we?”

You quickly explain that you just woke up and have no idea what is going on.

“I’m drawing a blank, too… My last memory is…” He thinks for a moment. “I was at university. I was knocked out with some kind of strange gas.”

You think back to what you can remember from before you awoke. Your name is Johanna. You are a university student and a competitive swimmer. Your birthday is seventh of August. Your favorite type of candy is licorice. Last night, you had dinner out with some friends, but went home somewhat early and stayed up late writing a paper. Before you went to bed, you went to the toilet, where…

Were you seriously kidnapped while on the toilet? You remember hearing a strange hissing noise, like a gas, and breathing in something weird.

After thinking for a bit, you respond “I had a similar experience. I have no idea why we are here, so I suppose our best bet is to search around for a bit and see if we can figure out what is going on.” The stranger nods. “By the way, we should probably exchange names so we have something to call each-”

He interrupts you. “Sorry. Things still feel too uncertain. It’s probably paranoid of me, but let’s not share names until we know what’s going on a little better. I hope you don’t think poorly of me for being overly cautious.”

“I… can kinda see where you’re coming from. I think we need to trust each other and work together to get out of here, but we did just wake up in a strange place with no memories. We can think of nicknames later if we have to, but let’s just search the room for clues for now.”

The two of you decide to look around the room for a while, as finding an escape seems to be the highest priority. After some time in the room, you are getting more and more used to the poor lighting. However, the room is empty except for the table and glasses of water you saw earlier.

“Damn. It’s literally just the table with glasses. They seem strangely ominous, don’t you think?”

“Yeah. I didn’t find any weaknesses in the walls either. It seems the glasses are our only clue.

“Do you think… we’re supposed to drink this? They are wine glasses after all.”

He attempts to smell the liquid. “It’s odorless, at least.” He seems to pause and think for a moment. “It seems weird we’d just be dumped in a room with poison, but even so we probably shouldn’t drink them unless we have a very good reason to.”

As he thinks, he brings one of his hands to his face. That’s when you notice –

“Hey, there’s something written on your arm, under your sleeve!”

“Oh? You’re right… It says “Mime”. That’s weird, I wonder what that means.”

You quickly check your own arm as well, and find the word “Chatty” written on it with some kind of marker pen. But before you have any time to consider what this might mean, a loud mechanical voice plays inside the room.

“Welcome to the DP game. All players have now awoken, which means the game is ready to start. In the room you are currently in, you will find two glasses of water. One glass is ordinary water, while the other has been laced with a diuretic. In other words, drinking it will make you need to pee, but is otherwise harmless. There is no way of knowing which glass is which. In each room, decide who will drink which glass. After all players have drank from one of the glasses, you will be released from your confinement. Should any player fail to drink the liquid before the time limit passes, they will suffer a DP penalty. The time limit is ten minutes. That will be all.”

You and the stranger look around, trying to determine the source of the voice. No luck. “I guess we have to?” You say. “It seems kind of crazy but the voice said there would be consequences if we didn’t drink. In a game like this, that might mean…”

He appears to be lost in thought. “If whoever locked us in here wanted to kill us, it feels like they’ve had plenty of opportunity to do so already. But I’m getting a bad feeling. At the very least, we should take the time to look around for more clues while we can. We might still find something.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s fair.” You glance around in the darkness. “I still think drinking it is a better call than not in this case, but we should exhaust our other options.” The stranger nods.

The two of you search around the room in silence, to no avail. As this is happening, you have an opportunity to assess yourself for the first time since you woke up. You are quite stiff, but otherwise you seem to be in one piece. You are wearing the same casual outfit you wore before you were kidnapped. Jeans, a shirt with a flower motif as well as a small jacket. You’re also becoming more and more aware of a more intimate fact. You need to pee… and quite badly. You have a big bladder, but so it’s not an emergency or anything. But you can tell you’re pretty full. Your eyes keep wandering to the glasses of water on the table, especially now that you know that one of them, for whatever reason, has a diuretic in it.

Once again, the mechanical voice fills the room.

“There are now only three minutes remaining to complete the game. Any player who does not drink from a glass will suffer a DP penalty.”

You turn to the stranger. “I think we’re out of options. We need to drink it now, or we’ll have to find out whatever unknown punishment we will suffer if we don’t.”

He nods. “I’m still getting a bad feeling… But if you drink, so will I.”

It seems the choice is wholly yours. What will you do?

DECISION: Which glass to choose
-The glass to the right
-The glass to the left
-Do not drink from either glass

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your decision has been made: you are going to Make Nyssa Pee First. Your choices have reached their ultimate conclusion, and you shall soon learn of their consequence.   One thing was clear

Your decision has been made: you are going to Pace yourself as Nemean suggests. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.   “Yeah. Yeah, you’re right. I guess sacrificing myself here

Your decision has been made: you are going to Ally with Orca. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.   No, no. You just couldn’t betray Orca now. The moment you two had shared tog

Posted Images

Oh? This scene feels familiar...

Differences from last time:

Spoiler
  • Green's description of the gas is slightly more detailed.
  • Green interrupts you before you state your real names.
  • No "Elephant owed ethylene"
  • You make the decision whether to drink or not here; last time, you waited until there was one minute left before resolving to drink one of them

With that said, I choose the right glass.

Your decision has been made: You will drink from the right glass. As a result, the stranger will drink from the left glass. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.

“I guess I’m going to drink it, then. I’ll just pick a glass?”

The stranger nods. “All right. Whichever one you choose, I’ll take the other.”

You have some time to decide, but it’s not like one glass is better than the other… Even so, you take your time to decide, waiting for some kind of sign or clue.

You eventually settle on the right glass. It tastes like plain water. You have no idea why the mechanical voice is making you drink a diuretic, or if that was even true. If the voice was telling the truth, you kind of hope you got the plain water, since you already have to pee. Water or diuretic, either way it’s not really something you need in your system right now.

That reminds you of something. You glance towards the stranger. “If that’s what you want to ask, yes, I do need to pee. I can keep holding it for a while but it’s pretty bad.”

You were thinking that. “Yeah. Me too. This… might sound weird, but do you think it has something to do with this whole thing?”

“What do you mean?”

“The kidnapping and all that. We got stuck in here, we were just potentially forced to drink a diuretic, and-”

“The time limit has now passed, which means the preliminary round of the DP game is over. Doors to voting rooms will now open. After you exit, please ensure you read the rules for the DP game. The first round of the DP game will start in 20 minutes. In addition, the following participants have accrued a rule infraction: Orca. These players will suffer a 1-point penalty to their DP. That will be all.”

Suddenly, one of the empty walls in your room starts sliding upward, like a large industry door. You exchange glances with the stranger and head towards it, ducking under the door to get through before it’s fully open. You enter a much larger enclosed space, probably some kind of warehouse with a very tall roof. Unlike the small enclosure you had just been in, this room was well-lit for the most part, even if you didn’t see any windows. You don’t spot any obvious exits either, but glancing back and to the side you see the small rooms you just came out of, in addition to two other identical ones to either side of the one you just exited from. From the outside, you realize they are all cargo containers, or at least built to resemble those. The sliding industry doors on the two other ones are in the process of opening as well, and two pairs of people are exiting their respective containers just as you and your companion were.

The four others also seemed to realize they weren’t alone, and everyone started gathering in the open space of the warehouse. Since you and the stranger had occupied the middle container, the other two groups move to meet you there. The first two appear to be women, one taller and one shorter. The tall one is wearing a very distinctive red cropped jacket. She is blonde, with two braided pigtails. Her shorter companion is wearing a print tee with a lifelike reindeer and had dark hair. Out of the two, she definitely had the softer features.

The other pair consists of another two women, this time around the same height. The first one wears extremely plain clothing and has her ponytail hair tied with a vanilla-colored hair band. The final woman had straw yellow hair and had a look of annoyance about her. She was about your height and slightly chubby in a way you thought was more attractive than not. Everyone in the room appeared to be somewhere around your age, probably somewhere in their twenties or early thirties.

“Alright so… Anyone know where we are?” Red jacket lady speaks up before anyone else.

“No clue. Me and Chatty-” He nods towards you. “-woke up inside this container with no memory of how we got there.”

“Chatty?” Blondy looks puzzled.

“The circumstances being what they were, I didn’t feel totally comfortable sharing names. But I still need to call her something, so I figured I’d just use the word on written on her arm. Mine says Mime, see?” Mime shows his arm to the group.

“It’s not a terrible idea. If anyone had a reason to conceal their names, they could just lie anyway. This way, everyone’s on equal footing. Mine says Chatty, as he said.”

“Mine says Siren. I’m not sure how I feel about using the names given to us by this awful game, but until we learn a little more about what’s going on…”

Blondy looks at her arm. “Oh, so that’s what..! Dick!”

“W-what is it?” Vanilla-band speaks for the first time. You notice she has a slight stutter, or perhaps she is just nervous.

“Mine says ‘Orca’! That machine voice said I’d get some kind of penalty.”

“I’m guessing you didn’t drink the liquid in the initial room?”

“Yeah! It was a mystery liquid in a shitty dungeon, no thanks! But these codenames, and machine doesn’t even tell me what the penalty is… This sucks!”

“A-anyway. It says Nemean on my arm. N-nice to meet you!” Nemean’s smile looks more worried than friendly, and you get the impression she’s forcing it somewhat.

“And mine reads Rocker. So what’s next? Do we try and look for an exit?”

“The machine told us to look for some kind of rules. But looking for an exit is also a good idea. I suggest we split up and try to look for both?”

The six of you examine the large warehouse. Other than the three containers, it’s mostly empty. You search one of the far ends of the space together with Rocker. Pretty quickly, you are able to locate what looks to be a computer screen. You can clearly see some text on it.

Rules of the DP game
-In the DP game, players will play multiple rounds of a game similar to the prisoner’s dilemma. Each round is separated by some amount of time. Before each round, the players of the game are paired up randomly.

-There is only one toilet. It can only be opened by players who have enough “DP”. The first time the toilet is opened, it costs 3 DP to do so. Each subsequent opening costs 1 more than the last. However, if multiple players have enough DP to open the toilet, they may each open the door in turn without increasing the point cost until the last willing player has done so.

-Each player starts with 1 “DP”. Each round, two players square off, voting “Ally” or“Betray”. If both players vote Ally, they both get 1 DP. If both players vote betray, they both get 0 DP. If one player betrays and the other allies, the betraying player gets 2 DP, while the allying player loses 1 DP.

-A player’s DP can never go below 0.

-The game will continue for a number of rounds. When the game ends, each player who has not wet themselves will eventually be released for the game. A player who wets themselves can still keep playing until the game ends, however.

“What… the hell?”

“This has got to be the rules it was talking about, but yeah. That’s one insane game.”

“A game based on the prisoner’s dilemma… but with peeing? That’s not just insane. That’s… beyond the fucking pale. Who could possibly come up with something like that, let alone kidnap six people for it?”

“I don’t know. Either way, we should call over the others.” You shout to Mime and Nemean, who are examining the middle of the warehouse. They call out to Orca and Siren, and eventually everyone’s assembled. Everyone takes a few seconds to read the rules as they arrive.

“This is… beyond the pale. Why?”

“Hey, that’s exactly what I said!”

“I-it seems like there is a button. M-maybe it will show more information that we need?” Nemean points to a small button near the screen. You press it, and the text on the screen changes.

Current DP and matchups
Room 1 - Rocker [1 DP] versus Orca [0 DP]
Room 2 - Chatty [1 DP] versus Nemean [1 DP]
Room 3 - Mime [1 DP] versus Siren [1 DP]

“So that’s the penalty, then.”

“This is total trash. I’m stuck at 0 DP?”

“Well… a-at least you’re not that much further away than everyone else, right? Just one less point than everyone else…”

“No, that’s not it at all. At the point when I can actually get 3 points, it’s like, really likely someone else will already have used the toilet. So it will be more expensive, right?”

“Yeah… One person starting out with less points like this might actually be… really bad.” Mime looks grim. “Normally, we would be able to all vote Ally twice and everyone would be able to use the toilet together. At that point, we would practically have won the game. However, this is no longer possible when people start out with unequal amounts of points.”

“So you’re saying this is my fault for not drinking that stupid glass?”

“I-”

“Of course not!” You butt in. “We seriously considered doing the same. It’s just like you said, that glass was a seriously sketchy situation.”

“We can’t change that now, anyway. The best strategy would still be to work together. If anyone is in a crisis, we can change our votes accordingly and get them to a toilet in one or two rounds.”

“Yeah. And if possible, we should try to time it so that the greatest amount of people can use the toilet at the same time. So ideally, we want to wait for Orca to catch up before we use the bathroom. And if possible, we might want to let her betray someone to get her to the DP threshold faster.”

“I see. If I betray, then ally, I’ll reach 3 DP in just two rounds.” Mime nods, though Rocker makes no comment.

“T-that way almost all of us c-could use the toilet at the same time in just two rounds.” Nemean seems hopeful.

“Yeah. Key word being almost.”

“Regardless, did anyone find anything else in here? I assume there’s gotta be a place for voting somewhere around. And we might want to lay out all the information we gathered so we don’t miss anything critical.”

“Y-yeah. We saw some kind of doors near the center of the warehouse. I think there were three of them. M-maybe that’s where the voting happens?”

“Yeah. That might be it. Three pairs of votes, three doors? Checks out.”

You notice Mime still appears to be thinking about something. “You have something on your mind, Mime?”

“Oh? Oh, nothing. Just an odd feeling, that’s all. I was just thinking about those doors, but whatever it was, it’s gone now.” He looks a bit sheepish.

“Anyway, we found the bathroom! Though, it’s locked.” Orca does a mock pee dance to emphasize her statement.

“Figures. Though, at least we know where it is.”

“Y-yeah. That’s g-good…”

“Voting rooms have now been set up. Please enter your voting room as displayed on the computer screen. One player enters from the front, and the other from the back. When a player enters their voting room, the doors will close behind them until the voting time ends. Should a player refrain from voting, neither party will receive any DP. Voting closes in 10 minutes.”

You all hear the sound of the industrial front doors on the containers sliding open simultaneously, in addition to corresponding doors in the back of each container.

“Oh. Then, it wasn’t in those three doors in the middle after all. Then what the hell are those for?”

“Gang, I think it’s time for a strategy meeting. Let’s figure out in advance how we’ll vote so that the maximum amount of people get to use the toilet if anyone does. How are you all holding up? Any of the 1-pointers fit to burst?” You sit down on the cold floor, and Siren and Mime follow suit. Rocker tries to do the same, but immediately changes her mind and goes back to standing. Orca remains standing as well. Nemean seems to hesitate for a bit, then sits down with the three of you.

“Speaking as a total zero pointer, I’m practically drowning over here. It’s actually, like, bad. I’d like to betray so I can pee two rounds from now, please.”

“I… Hell. I Think I can take it for a while longer, Orca. I’ll let you betray me, but you owe me afterwards.”

“Ah… Thanks!”

“I’m still fine. For a bit, at least. I can definitely take two rounds.”

“I would like to use the toilet now in case anyone else does. If everyone at 1 DP can hold it for this round though-” Orca gives him a slight glare. “-I’ll wait as well.”

“I’m kinda full actually. I have a pretty big bladder though, so I think I can take it? Maybe.”

“I-I’m also fine!” You’re not sure she looks all that fine, actually. Might still be nerves rather than a full bladder, though.

“In that case, it seems like Orca is the one who needs it the worst at the moment. It is not possible for her to pee this round, however. So her choosing betray and everyone else choosing ally seems like the best bet.”

“That’s alright by me, but let’s do a show of hands to make sure everyone’s actually on board with this. Everyone in favor raise your hand!”

Orca is the first to raise her hand, with Mime raising his shortly thereafter. Rocker waits for a second, then raises hers as well. Nemean raises her hand almost at the same time. Siren takes a look across the group, then raises hers. You think for a moment. This plan, if successful, would land Rocker at 0 DP and everyone else at 2. It seemed as good of a deal as you were going to get, assuming everyone played nice. Were you missing something critical about this? You hoped you weren’t, as you raise your hand.

“That’s everyone in favor. We should probably go to the voting rooms, since we might be running low on time. The machine said we wouldn’t get points if nobody voted.”

Each of you head towards your voting rooms. The container you were just in is now open from both the front and back, though it seems the two entrances now lead to separate compartments. You assume that you were only able to access one half of the container before. Before you enter, Nemean approaches you.

“You look like you have something you want to say.”

“Y-yeah. Y-you’re not going to vote betray, are you?”

“I already told you I wouldn’t. I get you only have my word for it, but that’s also all I can give you at the moment.”

She looks away. “I-I m-might vote betray in the end.”

“Huh?”

“I-I’m planning to a-ally! B-but I have it pretty b-bad.” She crosses her legs slightly as if to emphasize. “I-I might have a moment of weakness when I-I’m actually inside…”

“But… why are you telling me this?”

“I just w-wanted to be honest. A-as I said, I’m planning on choosing a-ally…”

“I… See. Hey. If you really can’t hold it, you should just vote betray, you know. I don’t want your wetting on my conscience, you know.” Your bladder is sending some angry signals. It disagrees with your conscience.

“I-I-I, no. I can h-hold it.” She rushes off. You shrug, and enter your side of the cargo container. The industrial door grinds shut behind you, leaving you in near-darkness. It’s the same interior as when you woke up with Mime, with one exception. Replacing the table with the water glasses is a device that wasn’t in this room before. It’s a sleek metal thing with a single screen at shoulder level. The screen of the device displays two buttons, one reading “Ally” and the other “Betray”. Its purpose is immediately apparent to you.

After your conversation with Nemean, you’re not sure what to press. You should press “Ally”, right? But that was really weird, wasn’t it? Was Nemean truly desperate to pee, or was she not? She’d told you she’d definitely press ally, but she’d also told you she might betray anyway. What was she thinking? Was this some kind of reverse psychology? If it was, it was completely impenetrable to you, and besides, why would she even do that? Had she spoken to anyone else as well? Was she trying to manipulate the outcome of the DP game somehow? Or was she just desperate to pee and unable to organize her thoughts in a completely coherent way? That last one… made more sense than the rest of your speculations. But still. Something – you couldn’t put your finger on it – felt “off”.

Even with that in mind, you weren’t making any headway like this. You were going in circles. You just have to pick one.

DECISION – Choose one
ALLY
BETRAY

Edited by DerivativeWings (see edit history)

Ally

My guess on the numbers is maybe it's related to that Lapointe-Cooper scale from the first go around? Would make sense if Orca and Mime are the most desperate, as they have the highest numbers at the moment. Siren also seems to be the most casual and she has the lowest number. Based on the level of detail in the stories so far, though, it could just as easily be a red herring.

Finally, I'm feeling a strange kinship with Orca here. Maybe it's the swearing, maybe it's not trusting the machine voice, maybe it's just because she said she has to pee. Whatever it is, I'm continuing to enjoy the hell out of this story.

20 minutes ago, brothacheese said:

Ally

My guess on the numbers is maybe it's related to that Lapointe-Cooper scale from the first go around? Would make sense if Orca and Mime are the most desperate, as they have the highest numbers at the moment. Siren also seems to be the most casual and she has the lowest number. Based on the level of detail in the stories so far, though, it could just as easily be a red herring.

Finally, I'm feeling a strange kinship with Orca here. Maybe it's the swearing, maybe it's not trusting the machine voice, maybe it's just because she said she has to pee. Whatever it is, I'm continuing to enjoy the hell out of this story.

we'd need more info to see if the numbers match the breakdowns but it makes sense

Your decision has been made: you are going to Ally with Nemean. Only time will tell if this was the right choice.

The voting room door opens again, and you exit. The mechanical voice returns as soon as you do.

Voting for the first round of the DP game has concluded. Please review voting results on the display in the main area. After results are displayed, the toilet will become available for a time to anyone with enough DP.

You see Nemean exit. She awkwardly heads towards the scoreboard while avoiding your gaze. You feel a sense of foreboding. No, not just foreboding. Unease? You try to snap out of it as you gather with everyone else near the screen.

You take a glance around. Nemean is still looking away from you. You think she might even be looking away from the screen. Orca stamps her feet, but is keeping a close eye on the results. Siren also seems to be looking somewhere other than the screen. You try to follow her gaze, but you are interrupted as the scores for this round are suddenly displayed.

Results of DP Game

Rocker

Orca

Chatty

Nemean

Mime

Siren

Current DP

Vote

Ally

Betray

Ally

Betray

Ally

Ally

DP Change

+2

+2

+1

+1

DP Result

It checks out, and you can’t even blame her. You did, after all, tell her that she could betray you if it became unbearable. So what, exactly, is it that has you so on edge? You realize someone behind you just raised their voice, Orca you think. As you turn around, you see Orca and Mime already locked some conversation. Rocker seems to be listening in, though seems reluctant to join.

Mime turns to you. His brow is deeply furrowed, concerned. Orca seems to have calmed down somehow already. “Did Nemean tell you she was planning on betraying you?”

“Yeah, well…” You think back to the conversation you had with her previously. You couldn’t think of a good way to fully explain the interaction. “More or less. She seemed pretty desperate.”

“I see… I wish she had discussed this with the group rather than just you.”

“Yeah, like, I can use the toilet next round if I get another betray but…” Orca trails off.

“…But DP costs are increasing. We really don’t want to use the toilet one by one here.” He shivers.

Rocker chimes in. “I… I know I let you betray me this round, Orca. But I can’t hold it forever either.”

“Thanks again. Oof. It’s like I’m holding back a tsunami here.” Orca squirms as if to make a point. “Seriously.” She grits her teeth.

The conversation continues, but you stop focusing on it as you see Siren and Nemean are standing a bit away, near one of the voting booths. Did Nemean return from the toilet already? You think about whether or not to approach them, but then Nemean walks away towards the far end of the warehouse.

That’s weird, isn’t it? If Nemean was desperate enough that she absolutely needed to use the toilet this round, why did she let herself be stopped? You decide to walk over to the lone Siren.

“Hey.”

“O-oh! Hello. How are you doing?” She laughs, somewhat nervously. “Sorry. I guess this is not exactly the right time for pleasantries.”

“What were you talking about with Nemean, just now?”

“You heard?” She waits for a moment before continuing. “I was asking if she could wait a round before using the toilet, even though she had reached 3 DP.”

You look down the warehouse. “I’m guessing that’s a no?”

“Yeah. Ultimately, I did not want to convince her to wet herself. Just, on the off chance she felt that she could hold it one more round I thought that would be better for the group.”

“Good call.” You look back. Mime, Orca and Rocker still appear to be conversing. “How is your bladder doing, anyway?”

“Mostly fine, I think. It’s not that I don’t have to go at all, but I’m probably the best off out of anyone here. With that in mind and my current DP, I feel very lucky.”

You’re not quite sure why, but something about that feels reassuring to you. That said, Mime and Orca are right. You’re in a very sticky situation. You think back to your vote against Nemean. At the time, you assumed a result of Betray/Betray was the worst possible outcome – as it would not generate points for either participant. You had also assumed a result of Ally/Ally was the best possible outcome overall, as it would result in 1 DP for each participant. With that in mind, it had seemed logical for you to vote ally, in order to prevent a possible Betray/Betray scenario.

Now, you were not so sure. If you had betrayed Nemean, you would have most likely caused her to wet herself. However, she would also not have been able to raise the DP cost to use the toilet – resulting in much better odds Orca, Mime and yourself would have been able to use the toilet at the same time next round. That, in turn, would have slowed down the rate at which the DP cost increased each round. Of course, you didn’t want Nemean to wet herself and potentially become stuck here. But what if your decision had doomed someone else? Your thoughts are suddenly interrupted.

The opportunity to use the toilet has now passed until the next round of the DP game. Because one or more participants used the toilet, the DP cost has increased by one point. During future rounds, using the toilet will cost 4 DP.

You look around. Nemean is still nowhere to be found. There is a sudden swooshing sound, three of the six metal doors opposite to the voting booths all slide open at once. The mechanical voice continues.

The first round of the DP game has now concluded. Three doors have opened in the main area. Enter these rooms in pairs of two. Participants may pair up as they wish, but exactly two people must enter each room. Failure to comply will result in a DP penalty.

You nod to Siren and head towards the door. The rest of the group, sans Nemean, converges behind you. For a while, you walk in silence with you leading the charge. Until...

“Hey Nemean! It’s not like I wanted you to wet yourself and stuff, but you totally owe us all now.” Nemean seems to have returned without you noticing.

“I-I, y-yeah. I’m s-sorry, I just couldn’t take it in there. W-waiting.”

“What’s done is done. Even so, please discuss your plans with the rest of the group in the future.”

“Let’s do one thing at a time. We need to determine who goes with who through these doors.”

“I guess I’m fine with anyone. Though, I think Rocker should get the first pick since she volunteered to-”

Rocker interrupts her. “Chatty ended up losing DP as well. If it’s good with all of you, I think she should get to choose first. I can choose second unless there are any objections.”

“Yeah, that works for me as well.”

Nobody else speaks up to contradict this proposal, so it seems the choice is yours. You think for a moment. This game really was on a razor’s edge after just a single round. You simply could not afford to make light of any of the choices in front of you, even the choice of who to pair up with. Learning more about the other participants might be the final puzzle piece in some seemingly impossible decision when you played the next round of the DP Game. And besides that, you had no idea what was waiting for you inside that room. Who did you trust to have your back? Only one thing was certain. You needed to choose carefully.

DECISION: WHO TO PAIR UP WITH?
ORCA
SIREN
ROCKER
NEMEAN
MIME