Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

With the United States Grand Prix swiftly approachin' this weekend at Circuit Of The Americas, just outside the beautiful city of Austin, Texas, I figured it's time to talk F1; Racing In Its Purest Form.

Who's Your Favorite Constructor?

(McLaren)

Greatest Driver Of All Time?

(Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton, Fangio, Lauda in that order.)

Favorite Track?

(Spa-Francorchamps, or the Original Nordschleife of The Nurburgring. Apollogies to all Germans as I can't make any kind of grammatical accents on this cheap phone.)

Favorite F1 Car?

(McLaren M23, 1976)

Favorite Engine Era?

(BRING BACK THE V-10s!!! They sounded AMAZING! 😄)

Best Rivalry?

(Hunt vs Lauda, or Senna vs Prost. I can never just pick 1 or the other as they're both great for completely diff'rent reasons!)

How Much Do You Loathe Verstappen?

(The Correct Answer is "That Dangerous, Punk-Ass Torpedo Dutch-BOY(no offense to the Dutch, just him. Love y'all! ❤️) Should've NEVER Gotten His Super License!" Seriously y'all, the kid's almost WORST than Maldonado when it comes to colisions!)

And anything else F1 related!

Do You Think "Goin' Green" Is A Good Thing For Motorsport?

(Yes and No. While I can completely agree that all humans and/or corporate entities should make a concerted effort to lower their own "carbon footprint", the cars themselves shouldn't have to. These V6 Turbo Hybrids sound like shit no matter what "solution" the FIA/F1 comes up with. And I'm sorry, but watchin' Formula E is about as exciting as watchin' Golf: Not exciting at all, even borderline nap-inducing.)

Favorite F1 Facts?

(The average Formula One car can go from 0-100-0mph in under 4 seconds, and the composite brake disks can withstand temperatures exceedin' that of MOLTEN LAVA.)

I don't watch sports much, but I'll watch the fuck outta some F1 any time of year!

I don't consider myself a diehard F1 fan. I watch the occasional race on TV, especially Monaco and even play the video games. Honestly I'll watch it this weekend instead of Nascar. I watch Indycar more for open wheel racing. But I do follow F1 when I am able to. As far as those questions go. 

Favorite constructor is a toss-up between Ferrari and McLaren.

Greatest drivers are Schumacher, Senna, Lauda, Prost, Alonso. 

Favorite tracks are Monaco and Australia.  

Can't choose a favorite car or engine. Don't really know any.

Best rivalry is the same two you listed. Both really defined F1 greatness in my opinion. Hamilton and Rossberg was good as well.

I'll avoid the Verstappening question. (mainly because I only watch certain races. Don't really know enough.)

Personally I love watching Formula E. For the amount of time the action is intense. New York race 1 of this year is a good example. I mean MotoGP has Moto E. And there is an electric rally thing. I've heard that even Nascar is thinking of doing electric racing. Its kinda becoming the future. WRC has some hybrid rally cars.

Personally I love watching anything racing. Except for horses. Too fast. Mostly talking. I think as long as F1 doesn't have a repeat of the Indy GP from 2005 or 2006 things should be fine for F1 in America.              

13 hours ago, Janiseguchi said:

I don't consider myself a diehard F1 fan. I watch the occasional race on TV, especially Monaco and even play the video games. Honestly I'll watch it this weekend instead of Nascar. I watch Indycar more for open wheel racing. But I do follow F1 when I am able to. As far as those questions go. 

Favorite constructor is a toss-up between Ferrari and McLaren.

Greatest drivers are Schumacher, Senna, Lauda, Prost, Alonso. 

Favorite tracks are Monaco and Australia.  

Can't choose a favorite car or engine. Don't really know any.

Best rivalry is the same two you listed. Both really defined F1 greatness in my opinion. Hamilton and Rossberg was good as well.

I'll avoid the Verstappening question. (mainly because I only watch certain races. Don't really know enough.)

Personally I love watching Formula E. For the amount of time the action is intense. New York race 1 of this year is a good example. I mean MotoGP has Moto E. And there is an electric rally thing. I've heard that even Nascar is thinking of doing electric racing. Its kinda becoming the future. WRC has some hybrid rally cars.

Personally I love watching anything racing. Except for horses. Too fast. Mostly talking. I think as long as F1 doesn't have a repeat of the Indy GP from 2005 or 2006 things should be fine for F1 in America.              

Sorry for such a late respone. I saw your post right after I got done smokin' a Blunt with my Homeboy last night. By the time I saw it, I was too Stoned to formulate a coherant reply(please don't judge).

I think Ferrari has a more colorful history in F1, and motorsport in general, than McLaren, but I do love the McLaren Origin Story better. When you boil it down, Enzo Ferrari cared only about winnin' and makin' money, Bruce McLaren started it all for his love of racin' and engineering. McLaren's more willin' to take a chance at somethin' even tho it may not work out. Case In Point: The Ill-Fated Honda Deal a few years ago.

I shouldv've given Senna more Props in my Original Post. When I watched the Documentary and saw the footage of the ENTIRE crowd at Sao Paolo chanting his name to Ole it gave me chills. Then I cried for like 7 minutes straight at the end. He really was one of the Greatest.

Monaco and Albert Park, 2 iconic Street Circuits. I would almost put Street Circuits in their own catagory. There's so much Extra Shit the constructors have to do before they go to these vs just Normal Tracks.

Hamilton vs Rossberg was a good Slow Burn rivalry. Same could be said with Webber vs Vettel in the Red Bulls.

I will admit that I've only watched Formula E in it's very beginnings. I immediately wrote it off as the whole thing looked like a gigantic Clusterfuck. I should give it another shot. The whole thing for me is that I'm somewhat of an Audiophile; I've always had this weird obession Sound. I used to watch the Grands Prix back in the V-8 Days with noise-cancelin' headphones on. It's all about the SOUND! Lol

I totally agree with the Horse Racing. I have a friend that tried to get me into the Tripple Crown. I watched the Kentucky Derby with her and was just disappointed. Two and a half hours of Hype and Stupid-Lookin' Hats for Two Minutes Of Action. My first thought after it was all over was "Huh. No wonder we never watched this growin' up. Dad probably hates this more than I do!"

So il keep it short my favorite constructor is difficult but id say secretly got to be the prancing horse they have history and legends 

Greatest drivers of the current era are verstappen Alonso and Hamilton and goatifi 

Greatest all time goatifi and senna (for now)

Favorite track has to be Imola with it curves and narrow roads plus aqua minarli is one of the best corned 

All time favourite track suzuka suzaka is everything 

Dont have a favourite car 

As to verstappen hate i fomt have any i am a great fan of him and how he races and he receives and undue amount of hate due to the british media villifying him  so thats about it on that front 

F1 going green however is a very exciting prospect and i am higly interested in especially the renewable fuel theyl be using

12 hours ago, Avery Fox said:

So il keep it short my favorite constructor is difficult but id say secretly got to be the prancing horse they have history and legends 

Greatest drivers of the current era are verstappen Alonso and Hamilton and goatifi 

Greatest all time goatifi and senna (for now)

Favorite track has to be Imola with it curves and narrow roads plus aqua minarli is one of the best corned 

All time favourite track suzuka suzaka is everything 

Dont have a favourite car 

As to verstappen hate i fomt have any i am a great fan of him and how he races and he receives and undue amount of hate due to the british media villifying him  so thats about it on that front 

F1 going green however is a very exciting prospect and i am higly interested in especially the renewable fuel theyl be using

Imola's a good one! But I personally think no Corner can beat Eau Rogue at Spa.

Chachi Sanchez iRacing Last To First "Formula Vee" VR

My younger brother likes to do VR Racing durin' F1 Season. There was a period of about 2 weeks back in 2011 when he had the 8th Worldwide Fastest Time at Shanghai on F1 2010 for the PC. He uses a Logitech G27 Racing Wheel and I believe he has the Valve Index for a Headset by now but I could be wrong.

Anyways. For those interested. I figured I'd try to give him a Helpin' Hand with his numbers while keepin' it relevant. Downvote all you want, I'm just tryin' to be a Good Brother.

[He does NOT know I'm a Member of this Site and I'd like to please keep it that way.]

Things are gettin' "Quite 'Race-y'"(as "Sir" David Hobbs likes to say) down in Austin tonight. Everytime I go outside to smoke all I hear is the distinctive rumblings of V-8 Engines echoin' all around me. I love it!

If I had the means when I was younger I definitely would've be an Underground Street Racer. Fits perfectly with my inability to make "Good Decisions" 😄

I've only been to the first US Grand Prix after they BARELY finished gettin' COTA built. It was AMAZING!

It was the last year they were runnin' the V-8s, and Hamilton's last season at McLaren. Hamilton'd been chasin' Vettel all race, passed him on the 2nd to last lap, and won it all! Andretti did the podium interviews, then after that one of my brothers, our friend, and I went to the Piano Guys show on the other side of the Track.

The engines were so loud they shook the ground with EVERY downshift! Each change of gears I could FEEL in my core. The best part of the weekend was when we first pulled up to the Track on Friday in the middle of Pactice 2. When we got out of the van, we could smell the fuel burnin', hear the engines whinin', and feel the excitement in the air. I looked over at one of my brothers and quoted Clarkson: "I think the Grand Prix is in town, gents..." And without missin' a beat he qouted Hammond right back to me, "The wha'?"

It's still my favorite Family Trip we did after me and all my siblings turned 21 and could drink(I mean, that didn't stop us before, but still).

Also. Grand Prix Pro-Tip:

Be able to carry a conversation in one of the Romance Languages(French, Italian, Portugese, or Spanish. Romanian's technically a Romance Language as well, but the most useless one of all 5 for this situation). That way, when you ask a stranger if they've seen a Beer Guy around, you have an 80% better chance of understandin' said stranger when they answer you.

The sounds from racing is always the best part. I always wish I was born into the best yet deadliest era of rally. Group B. The sounds from that are amazing. And a woman almost won the championship. Video games and videos online don't do the sounds of Group B justice.

Anyways the race today was good. Just not for my driver. To go from pole to retirement isn't very good.       

I didn't get to watch. I got into a really bad argument with the Asshole Roommate that almost came to blows after he called me a faggot. Well. This Faggot had to have Other Roommate hold me back, otherwise Asshole Roommate would've ended up with a fuckin' speech impedement.

So yeah. I had to leave the apt to cool off. Called mgmnt and it's bein' handled. That's the one thing you DON'T call someone in Austin.

I tried to find a free livestream to follow on my phone, but they were all either literally bootleg footage of someone's tv and the resolution was just awful, or it was live commentary in Spanish, and altho I speak Spanish, I could never follow sports commentary as it's too rapid-fire and I can't translate it in my head fast enough.

I saw Sainz was out early, but I don't know what happened. I don't even know who won.

Edited by solous.persona (see edit history)
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice to find an F1 thread, I work in motorsport at both UK national and international level (but not F1) but I rarely look in the offtopic sections so hadn't seen this before!

I watch Grands Prix when I can but am not a diehard fan, for me the last couple of years have almost turned it into a 200mph version of WWE and made it into an entertainment rather than a sport, exacerbated by that bloody Netflix documentary stuff which seems to govern the sport for its own gains at times.

As for favourites, growing up I was a huge Damon Hill fan and was overjoyed when he won his World Championship.  Johnny Herbert and Jenson Button are also favourites of mine, Herbert for his immense courage to reach the top of the sport after almost losing his legs in an accident in 1988.  For me however the most talented racer of all has to be Jim Clark, who was almost unbeatable back in the 1960s.  Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher were both immensely talented, but were poor sportsmen, whereas Lewis Hamilton can be very whiny and unlikeable at times, but he is no doubt an immense talent (I first saw him race when he was eight years old in karts) and it's a great privilege that I've been involved in an era where he has been so brilliant.

As for this season so far.....meh.

• 4 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 8:04 PM, solous.persona said:

With the United States Grand Prix swiftly approachin' this weekend at Circuit Of The Americas, just outside the beautiful city of Austin, Texas, I figured it's time to talk F1; Racing In Its Purest Form.

Who's Your Favorite Constructor?

((Mercedes AMG Petronas)) 

Greatest Driver Of All Time?

((Schumacher, Lauda, Senna... Ugh I could do a Chart Countdown on this 🤣)) 

Favorite Track?

((Monaco, bitches!! Obviously because of the numerous crashes!!)) 

Favorite F1 Car?

((I honestly don't have one..)) 

Favorite Engine Era?

(BRING BACK THE V-10s!!! They sounded AMAZING! 😄

Yeah. I have to agree there. 

Best Rivalry?

(Hunt vs Lauda... 

How Much Do You Loathe Verstappen?

I don't!! How much do you loathe Hamilton 🤣 

And anything else F1 related!

Do You Think "Goin' Green" Is A Good Thing For Motorsport?

(not really. It takes alot out of what we love about motorsports.. But it's essential that we move on to more environmentally safe means of keeping the sport. It's either that or consigning it to history which we don't want, obvs

Favorite F1 Facts?

(here is where I really need to remind myself of all the stuff I used to follow when I was an avid F1 follower!!) 

As with many Sport, I lose interest very quickly when it gets repetitive.. Same people winning all the time.. Yeah. Bored. 

I used to be an avid F1 watcher in the 90s ((the Villeneuve vs Coulthard years)) and then had a resurgence of interest around 2010-ish?? Until 2016 when I fell like a sack of bricks for Nico Rosberg 😍🥴

Words can't describe how much I hate Lewis Hamilton tho. What a twazzock.. 

• 4 months later...