Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

It's spooky season! What's your favorite classic monster movie?

Obviously there's plenty of monster movies, but there were four that a lot of people classify as the classics. The originals.

Dracula

Wolf man/Werewolf

Frankenstein

Invisible man

The invisible man really isn't a monster movie per say, but I find it pretty terrifying.

What's your favorite and why?

Favorite as in monster from the movie. It doesn't even have to be from the movie just favorite one in general.

I like Frankenstein and the Invisible man. Invisible man because SPOOKY. Frankenstein because of it's beautiful story.

Guest WetterArgento

From the Universal studios versions of those stories I would pick Frankenstein (1931), Wolf Man and Invisible man are fun too, for Dracula I prefer other adaptations way better than the Bela Lugosi one

I would say it was kind of hard to decide as I really like all of them. I have got the legacy DVD collections of the Wolfman movies, the Dracula ones, Frankenstein, Invisible man, Mummy, Black Lagoon and all of those and it's really hard to decide which is the best one. I would have to say that the Bride of Frankenstein was quite good and the Invisible Man and the Wolfman. I didn't like the mummy ones as much as I don't really find mummies to be as exciting but I think that all of the originals were quite good. Reading a lot of what horror scholars have said that I have to say the Bride of Frankenstein was probably one of the few that is superior to the original and it really works as a great movie when you really think about it.

57 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

I would say it was kind of hard to decide as I really like all of them. I have got the legacy DVD collections of the Wolfman movies, the Dracula ones, Frankenstein, Invisible man, Mummy, Black Lagoon and all of those and it's really hard to decide which is the best one. I would have to say that the Bride of Frankenstein was quite good and the Invisible Man and the Wolfman. I didn't like the mummy ones as much as I don't really find mummies to be as exciting but I think that all of the originals were quite good. Reading a lot of what horror scholars have said that I have to say the Bride of Frankenstein was probably one of the few that is superior to the original and it really works as a great movie when you really think about it.

Oh, that's pretty cool! I hear that Bride of Frankenstein is REALLY good. So I should really get around to watching it.

I also agree with your take on the Mummy. That's not as scary or unique as some of the other movies released around that time.

1 hour ago, WetterArgento said:

From the Universal studios versions of those stories I would pick Frankenstein (1931), Wolf Man and Invisible man are fun too, for Dracula I prefer other adaptations way better than the Bela Lugosi one

I'll be honest. I haven't watched any of the original movies. I've seen like Kill Counts on them, but I've never seen the full movies. The characters I named are just so well-known nowadays that everyone has an opinion on them. I think Frankenstein has the best story though. Even if i only know a small bit of it.

@DerekOmoso

"Oh, that's pretty cool! I hear that Bride of Frankenstein is REALLY good. So I should really get around to watching it."

Yes, I think one of the reasons why it is generally highly regarded is that it's closer to the source material than the original movie, as in this one you can sense the pathos of the monster a little bit more and I felt like he was a little bit more fleshed out, even though he still doesn't really have much in the way of speaking roles!

Although I like all of the original ones it also must be said though that they are by contemporary standards pretty short. Almost all of the original monster movies like Frankenstein Dracula and the Wolfman only clocked in at about 70 minutes each, and in the Wolfman you only actually see him as the Wolfman for like less than five minutes of the whole movie.

That is why I actually held highly the 2010 remake of the Wolfman which was about twice as long as the original classic and everything, but I felt that they really fleshed out the story more and contained multiple werewolves and lots of werewolf action. Again the classics are very good and everything but I'm not is down on remakes as some people are.

"I also agree with your take on the Mummy. That's not as scary or unique as some of the other movies released around that time."

You know I'm a horror writer and I have written multiple stories and books about vampires, werewolves and zombies that I could never find myself getting into mummies as much. In fact I often joke that I actually had this dream once where I was being chased by a mummy and I just sort of got bored in the dream and it just sort of ended out of boredom!.

I have written a little bit about mummies but I feel like there's not as much you can do with them. I mean essentially a mummy is not really all that different than a zombie as it's a reanimated corpse and sort of shambles around slowly, but I don't know zombies seem like they are more versatile than mummies.

And although a lot of the sequels to all of the monster movies aren't as good as the original and get a little bit of repetitive I felt that all of the mummy movies were pretty much just the same one essentially told in different ways. Like I remember when I got the mummy legacy collection, which I hesitated to do for a while because I didn't think I would be as interested in it, I watched like all of the movies within a week and I really couldn't distinguish one from the other because they were also similar.

At least with the Wolfman, Frankenstein and the Dracula and the invisible man sequels they were a little bit more diverse than what they were doing with them. Mummies just don't seem to have as much material to work with. Admittedly a lot of the sequels there's a lot of overlap if you get all the legacy collections, as they all contain a lot of the same movies where the monsters all end up meeting one another or where they meet Abbott and Costello.

You know I think one of the reasons why the mummy wasn't as threatening is if you look at the other monsters they all have something that makes them malevolent. Dracula can drink your blood, the Wolfman can tear you apart, Frankenstein can crush you or throw you off a bridge or into the lake, the creature from the Black Lagoon, well I suppose he's not really especially scary either as he doesn't really do as much, and the invisible man can kill you without you seeing him, but the mummy just sort of walks slowly and is pretty easy to escape from, so not as much to be afraid of.

2 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I actually had this dream once where I was being chased by a mummy and I just sort of got bored in the dream and it just sort of ended out of boredom!.

That's funny! I like that.

You said that all the monsters are scary in their own way. Which is true. You said the creature from the black lagoon isn't really that scary either.... It looks spooky! Mummys are covered by the wraps. So not even that scary.

@DerekOmoso

"You said that all the monsters are scary in their own way. Which is true. You said the creature from the black lagoon isn't really that scary either.... It looks spooky! Mummys are covered by the wraps. So not even that scary."

The creature from the Black Lagoon does look kind of frightening and intimidating but at the same time he is also sort of like a slow-moving monster who doesn't seem as dangerous as the other ones. Mummies really are just people who are covered in wraps, you might as well even use them for toilet paper!

I mean if I had to say which one I would least want to run into it would probably be the Wolfman followed by Dracula. The way I see it the Wolfman is the one who can tear you apart and is the fastest and most aggressive, and Dracula can drink your blood. The invisible man can get the drop on you but even if he was trying to kill you if he picked up a weapon you would be able to see the weapon floating in the air. He's still basically human. Frankenstein can crush you or throw you off of stuff but he is also fairly slow-moving.

But no matter which way you slice it I feel that the mummies are probably the least frightening and the least malevolent, so Homer was definitely right, I would rather be chased by a mummy than the Wolfman!

2 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

if I had to say which one I would least want to run into it would probably be the Wolfman followed by Dracula. The way I see it the Wolfman is the one who can tear you apart and is the fastest and most aggressive, and Dracula can drink your blood. The invisible man can get the drop on you but even if he was trying to kill you if he picked up a weapon you would be able to see the weapon floating in the air. He's still basically human. Frankenstein can crush you or throw you off of stuff but he is also fairly slow-moving.

I completely agree with Wolfman I've never watched Dracula, but I think I would swap Dracula with Frankenstein. Sure Frankenstein is slow, but he can throw stuff at you and that's fast. Dracula is kind of fast, but you could just run outside during the day and avoid him. At night a bat form would be hard to see so maybe then I'd put him back there. 

13 hours ago, Weather said:

Kinda cheesy, but I love Hellraiser

I've never seen it! I've watched a kill count on it and it seems enjoyable. Not my thing to be fair, but I respect that you enjoy it. It seems cool!

2 hours ago, Mariner62 said:

The original Godzilla movie.

That's fair! I've uh... Never seen it, but giant monsters are terrifying! Nothing cooler than seeing a GIANT creature going through Tokyo.

18 hours ago, TheLoneRanger said:

Nothing is more terrifying than what your own imagination creates

That's true. I've not read/listened to them. I might do that with Frankenstein. Seems really enjoyable. 

23 hours ago, DerekOmoso said:

I've never seen it! I've watched a kill count on it and it seems enjoyable. Not my thing to be fair, but I respect that you enjoy it. It seems cool!

That's fair! I've uh... Never seen it, but giant monsters are terrifying! Nothing cooler than seeing a GIANT creature going through Tokyo.

That's true. I've not read/listened to them. I might do that with Frankenstein. Seems really enjoyable. 

The original Bram Stoker's Dracula.

This version from Amazon Audible isn't cheap, but it's a full cast Audio play running for 3.5 hours.

It's definitely worth a listen, and being a full cast you get lots of different voices, to help identify which character is speaking.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-BBC-Radio-Horror-Dracula/dp/B0045K3QZ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=3Q3JUC0A7PJHR&keywords=audible+books+bram+Stoker's+Dracula+full+cast&qid=1665769051&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjEyIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=audible+books+bram+stoker+s+dracula+full+cast%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-6

So I'll be the first to admit that my "Old-School"-ness(fuck you Fox News for ruinin' one of my favorite Slang terms) doesn't go very far when it comes to movies. I'm willin' to go as far back as the mid-70s and thats it. So I've never actually purposefuly sat down to watch a "Classic"(marketin' term for "Old As Balls") movie, unless it was Saturday Mornin' as a kid. Then my dad had me and my siblings all in the Den, and we'd all watch re-runs of MST3K on the Sci-Fi Channel(I'm REALLY showin' my age here! Lol). That was my Saturday Mornin' Cartoons growin' up, and my only exposure to any movie made before the mid-70s.

I still, to this day, have never seen any of the old "Universal Monster Movies", nor have I read the books(that part's the most shameful to admit). The only Close Thing I got is that Mary Shelley's husband Percy wrote my favorite poem of all time, "Ozymandias."

I've always had a Thing for Vampires so I gotta go with my O.G. Count Dracula. None of this Twilight bullshit. As a man who will voluntarily, and with great pleasure, let another man cum and pee in my mouth before I fuck his brains out, I think I have the right to say "That Twilight Bullshit Is Some Of The Gayest Shit I've EVER Seen!"

4 hours ago, solous.persona said:

As a man who will voluntarily, and with great pleasure, let another man cum and pee in my mouth before I fuck his brains out, I think I have the right to say "That Twilight Bullshit Is Some Of The Gayest Shit I've EVER Seen!"

This made me chuckle. 

But yeah I haven't read or seen any of them. Though I do fancy movies from the early 30s and onwards.

45 minutes ago, DerekOmoso said:

This made me chuckle. 

But yeah I haven't read or seen any of them. Though I do fancy movies from the early 30s and onwards.

lol I had an Ex who tried to get me into all the Twilight Movies. I hated every fuckin' second of it. Except one scene: The Baseball Scene. I like that scene for 2, and only 2 reasons:

1) "Supermassive Black Hole" is one of my favorite Muse songs.

B) Watchin' the Actress who played the Older Sister pitch a baseball with PRISTINE form is one of the most beautiful things I've seen. And I hate Baseball more than I hate Twilight.

If I had to pick a Favorite Scary Movie Of All Time, it's a tie.

The Exorcist 'cause I was raised Mexican Catholic. That was my version of "Scared Straight" from Mi Abuelita when I was 12.

The 1979 Original Alien. A 2hr Master Class put on by Ridley Scott on how to slowly ratchet-up the Tension in a Horror setting.

Edited by solous.persona (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Young Frankenstein's a riot, so many quotable lines!

My favorite pure horror movie would have to be The Exorcist, with honorable mentions to the original Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. There are several horror-comedies that are also among my favorites: Evil Dead II, An American Werewolf in London, and Slither all come to mind.

EDIT: Also in the category of pure horror, there's also John Carpenter's The Thing.

Edited by PPP (see edit history)
34 minutes ago, PPP said:

Young Frankenstein's a riot, so many quotable lines!

My favorite pure horror movie would have to be The Exorcist, with honorable mentions to the original Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street. There are several horror-comedies that are also among my favorites: Evil Dead II, An American Werewolf in London, and Slither all come to mind.

Oooh. I really need to expand my horror movie tastes. I like your answer though!

38 minutes ago, PPP said:

Thanks! You should definitely check them out if you get the chance. You mentioned the Kill Count, so I'll link one of my favorites: the Slither Kill Count. 

(Obligatory warning for gore, but who's surprised?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qi_OQvqwwA

I'll definitely check that one out.... I don't think I've seen that one which is kind of crazy. I was OBSESSED with Kill Counts for a whole week! I watched so many.