Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

[Discussion] Is holding & driving presently dangerous?

I recently had a very long, very full drive home from a restaurant some distance from my house, though I barely encountered other cars, I realized quickly that I found it difficult to pay attention to both holding it and driving. quickly, my situation became so bad that I simply pulled over and peed despite not being far from my town. I felt like I couldn't risk driving when my mind was so put off. I pondered that night if the common omo situation of being desperate behind the wheel is truly as arousing as it seems, especially when I was put in that situation first-hand.

Your takes?

As you noticed, desperation behind the wheel can be very distracting. You have to concentrate hard to stay focused on driving, but it can be done safely. I drive very often very desperate, by choice and often by necessity, because I get desperate on highway or similar roads when I have no safe place to stop and pee. Because you try focusing on the road not on holding, it's also much more likely to leak or wet yourself while driving. 

One more thing to consider about holding while driving. If anything unexpecting happens, like an accident, is very likely you will wet yourself involuntarily because of full bladder and forces involved. And you will have to deal with the situation in visible wet clothes at least at start, until you get a chance to change your clothes. It's always very humiliating experience. I was involved in a regular car accident twice (wasn't my fault and luckily no injuries) and wet myself on both occasions. It just happened, no warning, just a forces involved and a shock from car accident. 
If you are like me, who loses control over my bladder when I'm very nervous or scared, it is much more likely, you will wet your self, if anything unexpected happens during driving and you're already holding and were on a verge of wetting yourself even before unexpected event. I was stopped by police for traffic violations a few times and I wet myself on all of those occasions. I just get scared when authority figure is involved and I done something wrong. I told the officer what happened and asked if I can change, but I still had to get out of the car wearing wet clothes. Not a good experience, even for omo fan. In all of those situations, car accidents and traffic stops, I was not able to change clothes right away and had to stand all wet beside the road. Of course, everyone involved see your wet clothes and also everyone passing by is looking at you at that point.

I used to have a very risky habit of getting desperate and then pee in a bottle while still driving.

I got good at it but decided it is too dangerous  so I stooped doing it.

On the same subject, I remember that a friend of my wife once told us how see used to get one of her children disposable diapers from the back seat and pee in it when she was driving alone and become too desperate with nowhere to stop.

1 hour ago, Spectator9 said:

I have read that driving with a full bladder can affect your ability as seriously as driving drunk.  It may be a matter of degree.  If you just "have to pee" but have it well under control, you may actually be able to concentrate better, but once it becomes really urgent it's a major distraction.  

From my experience, it's not as dangerous ad drunk driving, because you brain can still function properly, but it is a major distraction to driving. I would more compared it to driving while using your phone. You can still drive, but your mind is totally elsewhere.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:54 AM, Spectator9 said:

I have read that driving with a full bladder can affect your ability as seriously as driving drunk.  It may be a matter of degree.  If you just "have to pee" but have it well under control, you may actually be able to concentrate better, but once it becomes really urgent it's a major distraction.  

Some years ago Mythbusters tested the idea. The woman and the two younger guys set up an obstacle course with all kinds of driving situations that might realistically arise. They first drove the course enough times to get consistent timing and scoring while “normal”. Then they each consumed enough liquid and waited for the desperation to set in and repeated the driving. Finally they each consumed enough alcohol to be just under the legal limit. (A State cop was present; apparently in California it is illegally to drive drunk even on a test course. The final results were something like this: if normal was scored 100 driving with a bursting bladder was low 70’s and driving almost legally drunk was mid 20’s. 

For myself, before my spinal cord injury several times I was driving and my bladder filled to capacity. If I couldn’t find a place to stop and I was headed home I peed my pants  rather than risk an auto accident.

9 hours ago, scinosensation said:

Some years ago Mythbusters tested the idea. The woman and the two younger guys set up an obstacle course with all kinds of driving situations that might realistically arise. They first drove the course enough times to get consistent timing and scoring while “normal”. Then they each consumed enough liquid and waited for the desperation to set in and repeated the driving. Finally they each consumed enough alcohol to be just under the legal limit. (A State cop was present; apparently in California it is illegally to drive drunk even on a test course. The final results were something like this: if normal was scored 100 driving with a bursting bladder was low 70’s and driving almost legally drunk was mid 20’s. 

For myself, before my spinal cord injury several times I was driving and my bladder filled to capacity. If I couldn’t find a place to stop and I was headed home I peed my pants  rather than risk an auto accident.

I have found the show Myth Busters have an agenda.

Sometimes they want to disprove a myth on purpose, and recreate the scenario in such a way that it has to fail.

• 3 months later...

Driving intentionally desperate on congested highways or in fast and heavy traffic definitely is not advisable for the sake of safety. But I have to admit that long ago I tested my ability to stand an overfilled bladder while on an interstate and 100 miles left to reach home.
But I really appreciate to drive my 4x4 on backcountry roads full to bursting. Paying attention to rough road and ruts while fighting against the urge of a bladder screaming for relief already for hours is a nice challenge.