Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Hi! I haven't really participated much in the off-topic side of things... So the first thing I want to discuss would be.... MUSIC!

List your favorite songs!

At the moment I have been listening to a bit of Will Wood!

Love, Me Normally. Is really good!!!!

You're gonna go far, kid. Is my absolute favorite at the moment. Such a bop.

I have yet to find a Bill Wurtz song I dislike.

Long Long Long Journey is probably my favorite by him. Where I've been is also really good. I hear The Ending the most by him. I love it!

I personally listen to a lot of Alt indie and 70s rock. 2000s rock is pretty good too.

Seether is my favorite band from the 2000s.

Billy Joel is my favorite from the 70s

Bill Wurtz is my ALL TIME FAVORITE. I love him.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:55 PM, DerekOmoso said:

I have yet to find a Bill Wurtz song I dislike.

Long Long Long Journey is probably my favorite by him.

YES.

Anyway, here's a few (I have way more but I don't like recommending too many at once because people tend to not listen to all of them):

• Porter Robinson - Musician
  • The Crane Wives - Curses
  • nelward - Ghost
  • Sidney Gish - Sin Triangle

And some Japanese music if you're into that:

• the peggies - Love Trip
  • HATENA - 夢? (Dream?)
  • Shin Sakiura ft. AAAMYYY - このまま夢で (idk how to translate this one, something like "In a Dream Like This")
  • CHOUX - 星屑フリーウェイ (Stardust Freeway)

Enjoy!

Oh man. I just found my new favorite topic for the day!

Favorite Of All Time:

Tocatta and Fugue in Dminor by J.S. Bach.

More modern examples include:

"Pardon Me" by Incubus

"The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac

"Tik Tok" by Ke$ha

"Birdland" by Maynard Ferguson

"What Is And What Should Never Be" by Led Zeppelin

"What Planet Is This" & "Ask DNA" by The Seatbelts(and Yoko Kanno)

that's just what I've been listening to for the past hr, but I could go all day!

Edited by solous.persona (see edit history)

Some other favorites:

Great White- Desert Moon
Metropolis-Darkest Side of the Night
Nickelback-Coin for the Ferryman
Hurricane-I'm On To You
Kix-Scarlet Fever
Dokken-It's Not Love
Pantera-All Over Tonight
Katy Perry-This Is How We Do
Miley Cyrus-Can't Be Tamed
Vanessa Carlton-A Thousand Miles
Bonfire-Sweet Obsession
Guns N Roses-Estranged
Evanescence-My Immortal

Songs I Can Play Over And Over Again(and never get tired of):

Piano:

too many to count but the Greatest Hits include...

Soulshine by GOV'T Mule(9min live version on YT ft Derek Trucks on 5-string)

Various Hits From Jesus Christ Superstar

Fuck U by Cee Low Green

Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd

Just Give Me A Reason by P!nk ft Nate Ruess

Halo Theme by Martin O'Donnell

Purple Rain by The Legend Formerly Known As "Prince"

Birdland by Maynard Ferguson

Bass:

Various Hits From Incubus including(but not limited to)...

Battlestar Stralatchtica, Pardon Me, Are You In?, and Nice To Know You

Fly Away by Lenny Kravitz

Around The World by Daft Punk

Aerials by System Of A Down

Guitar:

Brain Stew by Green Day which is just 25 Or 6 To 4 by Chicago only slowed down

Drums:

Various Hits by Incubus(see above)

The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin(that song's a fuckin' marathon!)

11 hours ago, solous.persona said:

Oh man. I just found my new favorite topic for the day!

Hahaha. I'm glad. The more I read the songs here the more I realize that I don't listen to enough music! 

I really like covers

RichaadEB has a lot of good ones.

Like, Bowser's inside Story final battle.

His newest one is a cover of Goofy Goober Rock. So that's fun.

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel is my favorite song by him.

You May Be Right is also really good!

26 minutes ago, solous.persona said:

Purple Rain by The Legend Formerly Known As "Prince"

Also I definitely read that as "The Rain Formerly Known As Purple"

That's a song from Risk of Rain 2's OST.

8 hours ago, DerekOmoso said:

Hahaha. I'm glad. The more I read the songs here the more I realize that I don't listen to enough music! 

I really like covers

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel is my favorite song by him.

You May Be Right is also really good!

Also I definitely read that as "The Rain Formerly Known As Purple"

That's a song from Risk of Rain 2's OST.

One of my favorite covers is Saxon's cover of Christopher Cross's "Ride Like the Wind"

On 9/26/2022 at 9:20 PM, DerekOmoso said:

It's wild how much music there is.

Downright ridiculous, even.

I have a playlist of almost 1000 songs (50 hours!), and that's just the Japanese music. The area of music one person can (let alone does) listen to only composes a tiny portion of the entire world out there. It's dizzying to think about... and yet you go anywhere in public and they loop the same 5 songs.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:13 AM, solous.persona said:

Tocatta and Fugue in Dminor by J.S. Bach.

Oh man, if we're talking baroque/classical/romantic (there's not really a good name for all three of those), my favorite composer would have to be Antonin Dvorak. His Quartet No. 12 ("American") is one of my favorite pieces of all time. I had the pleasure of playing his Serenade for Strings (which is apparently a title a lot of composers have used) in an orchestra and subsequently fell for his work. I'm also a fan of the sound of Antonio Vivaldi (although I admittedly don't know that much of his stuff).

On 9/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, DerekOmoso said:

Bowser's Inside Story is one of my favorite games, and the music is no small part of that.
Heard of FamilyJules? I really like his covers of Fan Club from Rhythm Heaven and all the Octopath Traveler stuff (another one of my favorite games).
Octopath's orchestral music is just so good, it also got like two official cover albums which are also fantastic!

Anyway, guess I'll drop a couple more (in order of roughly increasing energy level):

• Mori Calliope - end of a life
  • Dayglow - Medicine
  • Lemon Demon - Touch Tone Telephone (and the rest of the Spirit Phone album, actually a lot of these are part of albums that I'd recommend you check out)
  • Madeon ft. Passion Pit - Pay No Mind

I guess dedicating a section to Japanese can become a regular thing:

• 濱田金吾 (Kingo Hamada) - 街のドルフィン (Machi no Dolphin / Dolphin in the City)
  • 米津玄師 (Kenshi Yonezu) - 春雷 (Shunrai / Spring Thunder)
  • Official 髭男dism - Pretender
  • la la larks - Self

Alright, by this point I've said enough that anyone who knows me in real life stumbling across this post would probably be able to identify me 😅

@ZirconiumPen

LOVE Dvorak! We did "New World Symphony" as our Half-Time Show in High School, ended up placing 5th in the state of Texas for our division that year. Anytime I hear a movement from that symphony it brings back great memories.

There was a point in my life..."Tocata and Fugue" was one of my go-tos for competitions/auditions(the other being a Tarantela by Piekzonka), I played it so much my friends would blindfold me and get me to play it as this cool teenage-musician party trick(works great in bars. Every. Fuckin'. Time).

If we're gonna get technical, then I will say that Baroque is not my favorite; it's just too..."chamber music"-y to my tastes. And don't even get me started on the Harpsicord! We have a saying in Texas about irritating/grating sounds, I'll give you an example:

"Damn, Jimmy. Turn that Baroque shit off! That Harpsicord makes my teeth itch! Play some Holst!"

I have to know...what instrument(s) do you play!?

Never did get into the whole "J/K/C-Pop/Rock" scene. Just didn't really get a whole lot of exposure to it growing up in Bible Belt, TX. That being said I got a couple I like...

In some of my stories I posted I mentioned workin' for a Chinese Chef; Chef "Chino" we called him. We had a BlueTooth speaker in the kitchen and we would rotate who got to use it everday. So on Chef "Chino's" day we would jam out to Wang Leehom; AMAZING singer and musician! Also. The coolest fuckin' guitar I've EVER seen!

2524e43936df55b19891e9bb76951645--silver-dragon-guitar-design-529121119.jpg.db390d457dff3110eb48d3c1cf84f8b5.jpg

The other being from Japan. Those guys and gals in The Seatbelts play some of the hardest Jazz I've EVER heard!

Edited by solous.persona (see edit history)
7 hours ago, solous.persona said:

If we're gonna get technical, then I will say that Baroque is not my favorite; it's just too..."chamber music"-y to my tastes. And don't even get me started on the Harpsicord!

Aw, I love harpsichord...
In terms of those three, I'd probably pick classical as my favorite, but not by a long shot.

I have to know...what instrument(s) do you play!?

As a kid I rage quit piano after about a year so now I can only play basic stuff, but I've been wanting to pick it back up again. A while after that I started learning the violin and haven't stopped since.
I can also play soprano recorder marginally better than a third-grader as well as sing in-pitch (not necessarily well though)

So on Chef "Chino's" day we would jam out to Wang Leehom; AMAZING singer and musician!

Oh yeah he's great; I don't listen to Chinese music very much, but my family does so I've heard some of it

Never did get into the whole "J/K/C-Pop/Rock" scene. Just didn't really get a whole lot of exposure to it growing up in Bible Belt, TX.

Yeah, I can see that. My dad's kinda a weeb so I got a lot of experience there.

If you're interested, here's some iconic J-Pop to get you started (again, roughly increasing intensity):

• 竹内まりや (Mariya Takeuchi) - プラスティック・ラブ (Plastic Love)
  • 米津玄師 (Kenshi Yonezu) - レモン (Lemon)
  • King Gnu - 白日 (Hakujitsu / Broad Daylight)
  • REOL - drop pop candy
  • 星野源 (Gen Hoshino) - 恋 (Koi / Love)
  • YOASOBI - あの夢をなぞって (Ano Yume wo Nazotte / Tracing that Dream)
    • This song is from the EP THE BOOK; another song from it, 夜に駆ける (Yoru ni Kakeru / Into the Night) is extremely popular but not my personal favorite from the EP; that would have to be ハルジオン (Halzion)

I'm not super familiar with rock, nor am I sure where the line is between pop and rock, but here's some stuff that I think counts?

• Mrs. GREEN APPLE - インフェルノ (Inferno)
  • RADWIMPS - 前前前世 (Zenzenzense / Past Past Past Lives)
  • tricot - あふれる (Afureru / Overflow)
  • POLKADOT STINGRAY - テレキャスターストライプ (Telecaster Stripe)
  • Ado - うっせぇわ (Usseewa / Shut the Hell Up)

*Titles are given by Japanese (transliteration / translation). Translations are my own and may not match official translations. If only one thing is listed in parentheses, the original title was an English word / words.

38 minutes ago, ZirconiumPen said:

Aw, I love harpsichord...
In terms of those three, I'd probably pick classical as my favorite, but not by a long shot.

As a kid I rage quit piano after about a year so now I can only play basic stuff, but I've been wanting to pick it back up again. A while after that I started learning the violin and haven't stopped since.
I can also play soprano recorder marginally better than a third-grader as well as sing in-pitch (not necessarily well though)

Oh yeah he's great; I don't listen to Chinese music very much, but my family does so I've heard some of it

Yeah, I can see that. My dad's kinda a weeb so I got a lot of experience there.

If you're interested, here's some iconic J-Pop to get you started (again, roughly increasing intensity):

• 竹内まりや (Mariya Takeuchi) - プラスティック・ラブ (Plastic Love)
  • 米津玄師 (Kenshi Yonezu) - レモン (Lemon)
  • King Gnu - 白日 (Hakujitsu / Broad Daylight)
  • REOL - drop pop candy
  • 星野源 (Gen Hoshino) - 恋 (Koi / Love)
  • YOASOBI - あの夢をなぞって (Ano Yume wo Nazotte / Tracing that Dream)
    • This song is from the EP THE BOOK; another song from it, 夜に駆ける (Yoru ni Kakeru / Into the Night) is extremely popular but not my personal favorite from the EP; that would have to be ハルジオン (Halzion)

I'm not super familiar with rock, nor am I sure where the line is between pop and rock, but here's some stuff that I think counts?

• Mrs. GREEN APPLE - インフェルノ (Inferno)
  • RADWIMPS - 前前前世 (Zenzenzense / Past Past Past Lives)
  • tricot - あふれる (Afureru / Overflow)
  • POLKADOT STINGRAY - テレキャスターストライプ (Telecaster Stripe)
  • Ado - うっせぇわ (Usseewa / Shut the Hell Up)

*Titles are given by Japanese (transliteration / translation). Translations are my own and may not match official translations. If only one thing is listed in parentheses, the original title was an English word / words.

Oh man, thanks! I'ma check those out! I wish I could learn violin! I learned the bass first. The order of the strings tripped me up too much. Same with the cello, which devastated me! I think cello is the sexiest of all instruments 😍

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've gotten into this Bhangra Kick after a trip to the Corner Store for some Smokes. Dude workin' the Night Shift is from Nepal and he was just Jammin' that night! I heard a Bhangra-esque cover of Snow's Informer. In true 90's Kid form I immediately recognized the lyrics. I surprised myself with how much of that song I remembered after all these years! 😃

So when I got back I started combin' google and youtube to try and find this song as Nepali Clerk didn't have that much info on it; it was just a mix his buddy gave him. I haven't started in on soundcloud or bandcamp yet, but I figured I'd at least ask the only Online Community I'm a part of if they knew anything about it first.

So the closest thing I could find was a mix by DJ FRENZY called NARAM JAYA(feat. Chamkila, Amarjyot, & Snow). It's a mix of two songs to a great beat, the 2nd of which bein' Snow's version he did with Daddy Yankee called Con Calma(which I learned about durin' my Research). Wasn't a fan of Con Calma tho. All Mexican Pop Music sounds like a continuation of the same song, as the songs all have the EXACT same beat! It gets maddenin' to listen to after about 15mins. But with that Bhangra tho...

So I'll post a link to the video at the end, but I Was Wonderin'...

Does anyone know the name of the First Song?

Does anyone know what they are sayin'? Is the song in Hindi, Nepali, Urdu?

Is there on the Internet somewhere just a straight-up Bhangra-style cover of Informer? I'm still not 100% convinced this is the same song I heard.

Any other info on the Fist Song would be greatly appreciated. Thank Y'all So Much!

So Informer(Con Calma) doesn't start in the song 'til around 2:20. But I personally think the last 20secs are the best part of the whole thing; I'll settle for just a loop of that last 20secs.

NARAM JAYA

16 minutes ago, DerekOmoso said:

I found two songs from one of my friends that I REALLY enjoyed.

It's Time. By Imagine Dragons

It Don't Exist. By Bayside.

I enjoy them both a lot!

I'll have to check out the 2nd one.

I'm honestly tired of Imagine Dragons(no offense meant). Radio did what Radio does best and just played them ad nauseam.

However. There is one song I could listen to over and over again...

Pentatonix, Lindsey Stirling-Radioactive 

1 minute ago, DrBorderline said:

I listen to a lot of video game soundtracks, especially those from the Ace Combat series.

Hearing Daredevil for the first time was almost a religious experience.

I've never played those games, but I am curious on the soundtrack. I'll probably listen to a few tonight.

That's an odd statement. I'm curious though lol