Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Japanese Schools and Bathroom Use Restriction

My limited understanding of the Japanese culture is that they had a system of military rule (the Shoguns) for thousands of years until the mid nineteenth century.  During this time the general population lived in fear of receiving the edge of a sword at their necks, which led to a very obedient culture. I've been to Japan twice, and it seems that obedience and the following of rules is still very much ingrained. 

Given the amount of material I'm finding based around the wetting in class theme (with adult models), I'm wondering if toilet restriction during lessons is a big thing in Japanese schools. 

Are wettings frequent, and what is the general response from staff and classmates if someone does have an accident?

I once thought as you did that because omorashi was originating in Japan that maybe there was a lot of bad bathroom situations in Japan but for many years I talked to an American who moved to Japan and became an English teacher there and he said that there isn't really any truth to that, he said that Japanese students pretty much had access to the bathroom whenever they wanted and that bathroom access in Japan was actually pretty damn good if not superior to that in the United States. Make of that what you will.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, students were not free to leave their seats during class, but could go to the restroom if permission was granted. Rather than restricting restrooms, schools continue to call on students not to hold it in. The restrooms were never closed, there were plenty of stalls, and they were kept clean because students usually cleaned them. Reading other topics, I find that we are blessed, although there are still some unreasonable school rules from the days of the coup regime that ended 77 years ago.

I think we appear to be obedient because we are strongly taught the ethic of 'don't bother others'. Since our culture is built on a bottom-up approach, it is done through self-regulatory linkage. I also made an effort not to interrupt the class because of my own fault.
With training at an early age, we gain experience in holding it in, even if it is not the purpose, and some of us are awakened to omo because of it. I feel that Japanese content is often imbued with nostalgia: 'I was just a kid back then, but I did my best'. (I still sometimes have nightmares about the time I reached my limit in the middle of the crowded street, haha.)

I am sorry. I have never seen an accident in a school, so I don't know what the actual response is.

During the samurai regime, it seems that it was not so much a politics of fear. There were limited cases of rude revenge. If the samurai could not prove self-defense, it was considered street-murder and he could be charged with seppuku.
A game of flying kites named 'squid' became popular in the Edo period. The shogunate banned it because of the number of accidents, but the common people changed the common noun for kites to 'octopus' and kept on doing it. We cannot self-regulate when it comes to fun.