Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

A question about our account profiles

Hi,

I know I'm new here, or at least I know I'm only recently active.

The site and community is great and I'm not wanting to change anything.

Would it be possible to include in our account profiles, the option to add locations.

Now I'm not suggesting that this be a forced option, but a choice, and even those who choose would be allowed to be vague. Ie: just stating country or state or province. I'm not suggesting we give full street addresses here.

Every week we see another post asking where everyone is from.

I personally am trying to organise meets, I've had a few replies from people in open chat saying the location is just too far, I'll check the person's bio and look for clues in their posts as to location, but usually have to resort to a private message, only to find the meetup location is too far because they are in a different country.

Now I've no problems sending people private messages, but each time I do I notice it tells me how much message space is left.

Had I known in advance that the person found the meet too far, because they live on a different continent, I wouldn't contact them privately to find a more suitable location.

This is just a thought as I said and I'm not wanting to make any fundamental changes to the community.

Regards

The Lone Ranger 

Edited by TheLoneRanger (see edit history)
23 minutes ago, DerivativeWings said:

While someone behind the wheels so to speak would be able to give you a more definitive answer, I don't think you'd want to encourage sharing personal details on a site like this. Even if it was optional, one person accidentally doxxing themselves using a site feature is a pretty bad time.

I did suggest both optional and vague.

Not full street addresses.

What might be better than that is maybe just an option to show your continent? A drop down box to select North America, Europe etc. That wouldn't be bad I think.

It would be interesting to see how many members we have across the world, maybe that would help the community feel more globally inclusive?

But i think showing your state/province would be going way too far.

3 minutes ago, Kyuu said:

I can see about adding an option to display your country of origin for sure, but I will definitely not be providing any fields for anything more specific than that for security reasons, as highlighted above.

That would be very kind.

As I said I'm not wanting to come in and make big changes.

I'm also very happy with the rules laid down by the admins.

This place is run very well, and I appreciate how big a job it is.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my suggestion.

Regards

The Lone Ranger