Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Random thoughts about the history of locations, and moments lost in time.

You ever think about just like, all the things that have ever happened at a specific location? Like, consider all the things that happened in the very spot you are sitting, from the beginning of time. Of course, the Earth is revolving around the Sun, the universe is expanding, we have a tenuous understanding of spacetime in general, blah blah blah etc. But forgetting about that. Relatively speaking my chair could be - and probably is - positioned right where some Native American soldier was slaughtered in the War of 1812. I wonder what else has happened right here. How many people had sex right here (besides me 😈)?

I started applying that thought process to omo. I wonder if anyone else has had an accident in this building before? Where in my home have previous residents pissed themselves? Then I started thinking about front porches. I feel like any older home has likely seen a front-porch accident or two at some point in time. It makes you think about the layout of buildings and homes, and where things are predisposed to happening. Who knows what's happened in your very own bathroom, before you moved in...

• The title was changed to Random thoughts about the history of locations, and moments lost in time.

Yeah I actually do think about this sometimes. I have a very active imagination (I always have, but I also intentionally excercise it). The movement of the earth, tectonic plates, as well as local natural disasters, mean pinning down what a "location" even is gets a little tricky over long periods of time. However, as long as we live where other humans have for a time, we are undoubtedly surrounded by sites where people peed in nature, wet themselves, had close calls, and so on.

I actually do think about stuff like that from time to time as what things look like in the past but they will look like in the future and the fact that everything is technically connected in some way. I didn't actually think of it in regards to who might have had sex here or who might have gone to the bathroom in my house. Needless to say though I don't really think anything ever interesting ever happened in my house. Apparently before I was born some drug addicts lived in the attic where I live now in like the 1970s or something so sometimes I think about that. But that's pretty much as interesting as things get.

@trekkie

"@DesperateJill Actually, that might mean some really exciting stuff happened there. Maybe there was a big shootout between drug cartels, or police raids. Maybe the door to your room has been kicked in by SWAT teams like thirty different times."

I don't think it was anything that dramatic as I think that my grandfather was just renting out the attic after my dad moved out in the 1970s. Later on my parents moved back into this house and my grandfather lived in the attic and then after he died I moved into the attic. I don't really think much dramatic stuff has happened in my house in general. But when I look at that little junk room where I keep all of my books and stuff it still has this wallpaper that has like wooden soldiers on it like it was for a kids room and there is like crayon or something scrawled across the wall, and I always think when I see that I wonder if the drug addicts were somehow having some type of crazy experience in that room!