Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Post-Apocalyptic Interactive Part 2 Redux

[This is a redo of the second part of my Post-Apocalytptic Interactive, with some minor edits from before. I'll start by doing a recap, mission-by-mission, until we get to where we left off.]

-------------------------------------------------

When the apocalypse first hit, it was thought that humanity would never recover. How could they, with most of the population either dead or zombified? Yet humans have a remarkable ability to bounce back from seemingly sure destruction. Years later, while life would never be the same, they had managed to secure their place in this new world. Safe zones and economies had been established, with hired mercenaries taking on all sorts of jobs. 

Which once again brings us to the bar in the Los Angeles safe zone…

Our characters 

Miller

The leader of the mercenaries and by far the most experienced, Miller is armed to the teeth with an AK-74 assault rifle, an M1911 pistol, a bowie knife and C4 explosives. Although he is only in his late twenties, he gives off an air of someone much older; not surprising given that he lost his eye to bandits and his family to zombies. His mercenary crew is the closest thing he has to a family now, and he would do anything to protect them.

Eve

Created as part of a government project to make the perfect human, Eve is still new to the ways of the world. She is learning about expectations of behavior, but still has a ways to go. Eve is equipped with Digistruct technology, which allows her to manipulate molecules to form her clothes and weapons. Between her pulse pistol and portable railgun, she brings a lot of firepower to the team.

Anne

A teenage girl of 16, Anne is small for her age but makes up for it in spirit. Orphaned at a young age, she survived for years on her own before joining up with Miller. She reveres him, gets along with Eve and has a friendly rivalry with David, but still doesn’t get along with Jackson. A valuable member of the team, Anne is armed with dual USP pistols, frag grenades, a crowbar, and biting sarcasm.

David

Kind-hearted but somewhat shy, David is nonetheless a valuable member of the team. He is around sixteen years old, and spent most of them apart from other people. His only companion was Gertie, a loyal pit bull/mastiff mix, who can hold her own in a fight and sniff out zombies. David carries an AR-15 assault rifle, G17 pistol, a crowbar, and smoke grenades.

Jackson

The newest member of the group, Jackson’s first meeting with them did not go well: he had been ordered to kill them. The mercs turned the tables, however, and helped him kill his corrupt bosses. Free for the first time in his twenty years of living, Jackson joined the group. He is trying to atone for past mistakes, but still has something of a hard-edged, lone wolf mentality. Eve seems to like him, though. Jackson wields a hunting knife and a crossbow, with three electric and three incendiary bolts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seated at the bar, Miller reminisced as he nursed his beer. It had been more than a year since he had formed his mercenary group, and a few months since they’d had a decent paycheck. More and more guns for hire were getting in on the scene, and competition was fierce. All the best jobs were taken quickly. Miller finished his drink and turned to face his crew.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it,” he announced. “We’re running low on funds and we need some cash, fast. We’ll have to snap up every job we can find, no matter how hard.”

“Eh, doesn’t sound too different to our usual work,” said Anne. “‘Easy’ isn’t exactly in our job description.”

“Fair enough,” David agreed. “Let’s check the job board.”

> Live Specimen

P.O.V character: Eve

Difficulty: Easy

Details: Dr. Hayes needs assistance with her research. Help her capture a live zombie to further her scientific endeavors.

>Lost and Found

P.O.V character: David

Difficulty: Medium

Details: The daughter of a wealthy merchant has gone missing. It’s been a little while, but he thinks she’s still alive. Either way, he wants you to locate her.

>By the Light of the Moon

P.O.V character: Jackson

Difficulty: Hard

Details: The next safe zone over, Venice Beach, is being invaded by zombies every full moon. Fight them off and see if you can determine the cause.

>The Woodsmen

P.O.V character: Anne

Details: Woodcutters in Los Padres Forest gather essential materials for construction. Protect them from zombies and wild animals so they can get some decent work done.

>Viva Las Vegas

P.O.V character: Miller
Difficulty: Very Hard

Details: Provide “entertainment” for the Las Vegas safe zone. Details are unclear.

Mission selected: By the Light of the Moon

[P.O.V: Jackson]

Jackson studied the strips of paper.

“How about this one?” he inquired. “Seems pretty simple; we just have to waste a bunch of zombies.”

“I’m always down for that,” said Anne.

“They attack every full moon?” said Eve. “That is not normal.”

“We’ll be careful,” Miller assured her. “The next full moon’s tomorrow night; we better get going.”

The mercenaries piled into their jeep and headed out. With five people and a very large dog, it was a tight fit. With Miller driving and Anne calling shotgun, Jackson was forced to squeeze into the back seat with Eve and David; Gertie lying at their feet. Jackson shifted in his seat as Eve was pressed up next to him. He tried to move his legs, because he was pretty sure Gertie was drooling on his boots.

The sun was setting when they arrived at Venice Beach. Jackson hauled himself out of the jeep, stretched his legs, and took a look at the safe zone that lay before him. Waves lapped gently against a boardwalk that stretched to the horizon. Inland, palm trees and multi-colored buildings lined a vast stretch of concrete. Various people were wandering about, looking like they didn’t have a care in the world.

“Nice place,” David commented. Jackson was silent. Truth be told, it was a little too vibrant for his tastes.

1464063040_PAR26.thumb.jpg.d95cdc5db28e02d135d90655b8165e76.jpg

The mercenaries headed down the street, where a young woman in a business suit confronted them.

“You’re here about the mercenary job , I take it.”

“Right,” Miller confirmed.

“I’m Mayor Hill,” said the woman, extending a hand. “I’m in charge of operations in this safe zone.”

Miller shook her hand. “Glad to meet you. Now, what can you tell us about your zombie problem?”

“Not much,” Hill admitted. “They come from the sea and attack every full moon, then retreat when morning comes. Nobody’s sure why.”

“Perhaps it has something to do with the tides,” Eve suggested.

“Could be,” said Hill. “In any event, we’ll pay your regular rate for you to take them out and extra if you can put a stop to it for good. The full moon isn’t until tomorrow night, but you’re welcome to stay at one of our inns until then.”

The inn was a cozy white stucco building with an outdoor dining area overlooking the beach. The mercenaries ate a quick dinner, then headed upstairs to their rooms. There were three available and David lost the coin toss, so Jackson got one to himself. The bed was comfortable enough, but when night came he found he couldn’t sleep. Questions kept racing through his head. Why were these zombies not acting like the rest? Why was it only happening at this location? As he tossed and turned, he realized something else was keeping him awake: his bladder.

Grumbling to himself, Jackson got out of bed and headed downstairs to the men’s room. Upon entering, he saw that the only stall was occupied and the only option was a tough-style urinal.

Whatever, beggars can’t be choosers, he thought as he unzipped and let loose. Jackson’s pee stream hit the back of the trough with a sound like rain on a tin roof. He shook off and zipped up once he was finished, then turned to leave. Just then, the stall door opened.

“Keep it down! I’m tryin’ to sleep here!” yelled the occupant, a shabbily-dressed man with a long gray beard.

“Why the hell are you sleeping in a toilet stall?” Jackson inquired.

“Don’t trust beds, I don’t!” said the old man. “Last time I slept in one was fourteen years ago. It was a different time, let me tell you. Why, back in those days-”

“Whatever,” said Jackson, making for the exit. This geezer was getting on his nerves.

“Say, you’re one of them mercenaries, aren’t ya?” the stranger asked. “Here to kill the zombies?”

“Maybe,” said Jackson curtly. “What’s it to you?”

“I know all about ‘em!” the old man exclaimed. “I know why they’re comin’ here and how we can stop ‘em.”

“Uh-huh,” said Jackson, doubtful. “Then why haven’t you told anyone?”

“They all think I’m crazy! ‘Crazy Louie,’ they call me. ‘Oh, that Crazy Louie, he’s crazy,’ they say. ‘That’s why we call him Crazy Louie.’ But I know more than they think, that’s for sure. I can tell ya about lots of things! Including the zombies!”

Jackson hesitated. Could Crazy Louie actually know something? Or was he just living up to his nickname?

What the hell, thought Jackson. It’s not like I have anything to lose.

“Okay, old man,” he said. “Tell me about the zombies.”

“Haha!” Louie cackled joyously. “Finally, somebody with some sense! Anyways, back when this place was settled, we had a whole buncha zombies to clear out. We cast off in boats from up north and attacked from the sea. They tried to come after us, even though they couldn’t swim. We got most of the zombies, but some of ‘em musta escaped. They’ve been livin’ underwater since then, swelling their ranks with unfortunate divers and fishermen.”

“Hm. That explains where they came from,” Jackson mused. “Looks like you people weren’t thorough enough in your work.”

“Anyway,” Louie continued, “I figured out what’s bringing ‘em: the moon!”

“I could’ve figured that one out,” Jackson grumbled. “They show up every full moon; that’s pretty damn obvious.”

“No, no, no,” said Louie. “Don’t you get it? Living underwater, they’ve grown to be attracted to the light of the moon. If we can make a bigger and brighter light, we could lure ‘em all away!”

“That’s…” Jackson was going to say ‘crazy,’ but he fell silent as he thought about it. “That’s actually not a bad idea, old-timer. But how would we make this light?”

“Well, I don’t have all the answers,” said Louie apologetically. “I’m sure you can figure something out though.” He yawned. “Well, see ya! I’m goin’ back to sleep!”

He slammed the stall door shut, leaving Jackson alone with his thoughts.

In the morning, Jackson told the rest of the mercenaries and Mayor Hill about his encounter. At first, they were as skeptical as he had originally been. However, by the time Jackson had finished his story, he could see they were intrigued.

“It’s an interesting idea,” said Miller, “but where would we get a light big enough?”

“I can help with that,” said Hill. “We have several searchlights that we use for security purposes. If we shine them all together, it should be brighter than the moonlight.”

“Okay, but how will we kill them all once we lure them here?” asked Anne.

“There’s an abandoned warehouse not far from the shore,” Hill explained. “We can lure them in there, then blow the whole place sky-high.”

“Sounds good to me,” said Jackson, “but we’ll have to hurry to get everything in place.”

“He’s right,” Miller concurred. “Mercs, let’s move out!”

It took them most of the day to haul the searchlights into place. By the time they were ready, it was late in the afternoon. From his rooftop position, Jackson gazed out at the sea. Both it and the sky were a dark iron gray. Beside him, Eve checked the sights on her railgun.

“Are you prepared, Jackson? It will only be a few more hours.”

“Of course I’m ready,” Jackson replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Judging by your body language, you seem worried,” said Eve.

“I told you I’m fine,” said Jackson. Truth be told, however, there was something about the dark skies and sea that gave him a foreboding feeling. He knew it was nonsensical, but for some reason he couldn’t shake it.

Hours passed. Night fell. Jackson had nearly fallen asleep, but Eve shook him awake.

“They are coming!” she cried. He looked around and saw she was right. The searchlights were shining a massive beacon into the sky. Hordes of pale, barnacle-encrusted zombies were rising from the waves, following the lights towards the empty warehouse. 

“It’s working!” Miller called from the next rooftop over, watching the zombies funnel inside.

“Great! Now let’s blow it up!” shouted Anne.

“Are you crazy?” Jackson snapped. “There are still more coming!”

“That may be,” said Anne, “but if we wait, the ones already in the warehouse might get out. We have to do it now!”

Jackson thought it over, and decided to go with his gut instinct.

“We’re waiting,” he said, “and that’s final. It shouldn’t take long for them all to get here.”

“Whatever,” huffed Anne. She jumped over to an adjacent rooftop to join David. “Just don’t expect me to save you when you get overrun.”

Jackson ignored her, sat back and watched the zombies continue their march. They piled into the warehouse just as planned, until one stopped in its tracks and looked up at Jackson. It raised a skeletal arm and let out a high-pitched shriek. At the signal, dozens of other zombies swarmed around it, piling onto each other and forming a ramp of writhing bodies.

“What the hell?” Jackson exclaimed. “They’ve never done that before!” 

“They’ve never been attracted to moonlight either,” Anne pointed out. “Now get your dumb ass onto this roof!”

“You little-”

“Jackson!” Eve interrupted him. “We must leave; there are too many of them!” She leapt across the gap to join the others. Looking at the growing mob of zombies, now reaching the edge of the roof, Jackson realized she was right. He swallowed his pride and was about to make the jump when he felt a sharp pressure on his calf. He turned and saw, to his horror, that one of the zombies had made it onto the roof and now had a bony hand wrapped around his lower leg. Jackson quickly decapitated it with his hunting knife, but more were climbing up, ramps forming on every side now, blocking his path. His pulse began to race as the reality set in: he was trapped, and the undead were closing in.

“Oh, shit!” cried David. “What are we gonna do now?”

“There’s too many of them!” Anne shouted. “We’ll never be able to make it to him!”

“We can’t just leave him!” Miller argued. “And we won’t be able to set off the explosives until he’s clear!”

“Well,” said Anne quietly,” if he’s dead either way, then-”

“No!” Eve’s voice rang out loudest of them all as she raised her railgun. “Jackson, get down!”

Jackson did as he was told, dropping to his stomach. Not an instant later, he felt a searing heat over his back as several loud blasts rang out. 

“Come on!” Eve called. Jackson raised his head and saw zombified lower bodies slumping all around him, their upper torsos disintegrated by Eve’s railgun. Already, more zombies were rising to take their place. Jackson didn’t hesitate; he made a desperate jump and was just able to grab the edge of the next rooftop. Eve hauled him up as zombies grabbed at his heels. Then, to his surprise, she threw her arms around him in a tight embrace.

“Er, thanks,” Jackson managed to get out, not quite sure how to react.

“Hey!” Anne’s yell broke the tension. “Are we gonna blow this thing up or what?”

“Oh,” said Eve, finally letting go. “Of course; let us do that.”

Taking cover behind a rooftop AC unit, they held their breath as Miller pushed the detonator. The ensuing blast lit up the night sky even brighter than the spotlights, knocking the mercenaries flat and leaving their ears ringing. When the sensation finally cleared, Jackson stood up to survey the devastation. Nothing but rubble and charred corpses were left in the explosion's wake.  The mercs waited in silence for several minutes, but no more zombies rose from the ocean.

“Holy shit,” Anne said softly. “I think we did it.”

“I think you’re right,” said Miller, breathing a sigh of relief. “Now what do you say we go collect our reward?”

“You just read my mind!” Anne replied, perking up.

“You all can go do that,” Jackson groaned. “I’m going back to the inn to get some sleep.”

“That’s understandable,” said Miller. “You’ve certainly had it rough.”

---------------------------------------------------------------

After hours of slumber punctuated by nightmares, Jackson was awoken by a pounding on his door. He staggered over to the keyhole to see Eve standing there looking expectant.

“Just a minute,” he groaned. Still groggy, Jackson raised his curtain and stared out into the orange sky. It took him a moment to realise that the sun was setting, not rising.

“Jesus,” he mumbled, “how long was I asleep?”

“Approximately eighteen hours and forty-seven minutes,” Eve replied from the other side of the door. 

Jackson hurriedly dressed himself before answering the door. 

“What is it?” he asked.

“Well,” said Eve, “the mayor is throwing a celebration for us at the local cantina and I was wondering if you wanted to come. I know you are tired and it may not be your preferred environment, but I still thought you might have… fun, maybe?”

Jackson paused. What was with the hesitation in her voice? And should he go? Taking a chance had led to him discovering the zombies’ weakness, but it had also nearly gotten him killed. The stakes weren’t nearly as high here, but he was still conflicted.

Jackson thought about it, and decided to take a chance.

“Sure,” he said, opening the door. “Lead the way.”

By the time they arrived, the celebrations were well underway. Drinks were being poured and the air was filled with a raucous mixture of music, cheers and laughter. 

“The mayor already made her speech,” Eve explained, having to yell to make herself heard.

“Suits me,” said Jackson. He took a seat at the bar and Eve sidled up next to him. He accepted the beer that was offered, but when the bartender turned to Eve, Jackson pulled him aside.

“She’s a bit of a lightweight,” Jackson whispered. “Get her something weak, okay?”

The bartender nodded, and Jackson turned to his drink, satisfied.

“You know,” he said to Eve, “I never did get the chance to thank you properly for saving my life.”

“Oh, think nothing of it,” she replied. “We are a team; that is simply what we do.”

“Even so,” said Jackson, “I, uh, I appreciate it.”

“Any time,” said Eve with a smile.

“Yo! Jackson!”

The man in question turned and saw Anne waving from the other side of the room. He hesitated; the interactions between the two of them were usually tense.

“It’s all right!” Anne continued. “C’mon over, I won’t bite.”

Jackson shrugged and went over to see what the fuss was about, leaving Eve to refill her glass.

“What is it?” he asked, arriving at the younger girl’s table. Anne cast a glance downward before answering in a subdued voice.

“Listen,” she said, “about what I said earlier? About leaving you to the zombies? I’m… sorry.”

Jackson paused. “I think that’s the first time I’ve ever heard you apologize to me.”

“And it'll probably be the last,” Anne said with a smirk.

“Honestly, I don’t blame you,” Jackson admitted. “I didn’t think I was getting out of there either.”

Anne nodded. “And you probably would have done the same for me.”

“Yeah, I guess - hey!” Jackson realized her meaning and scowled as the girl burst out laughing.

“I’m just messing with you!” she cackled, slapping him on the back.

“Whatever,” said Jackson, but he was smiling as he returned to Eve.

What he saw when he got back horrified him. Eve was slouched over the bar, surrounded by empty glasses and obviously drunk. She picked her head up as he approached.

“Jackson,” she slurred, “where have you been? You have to t-try this stuff.”

Jackson rounded on the bartender, furious. “What the hell did you give her?”

“L-long Island Iced Tea,” the man stammered, sweat dripping from his brow.

“That’s not weak!”

“It was the lightest stuff I had,” the bartender protested. “I didn’t realize she was that bad at holding her liquor.”

“Consider yourself lucky that this is a celebration,” growled Jackson. “Otherwise…” He let the threat hang in the air and turned to Eve. “C’mon,” he said, draping her arm over his shoulder, “let’s get you out of here.”

Jackson steered Eve towards the back door and out into the alley behind the cantina. He sucked in a breath of fresh air and turned to her.

“Are you all right?” he asked. “Can you stand?”

“S-sure,” Eve replied, pulling away from him. She swayed on her feet a little, but managed to stay upright.

“Good,” said Jackson. “Now, let’s get you back to the inn. You’ll feel better in the morning.”

“H-hold on,” Eve groaned. “I need- I gotta… gotta pee.”

“Not surprising,” Jackson grumbled. “Okay, the women’s room is-”

“N-no time!” Eve interrupted. Her eyes went wide, and Jackson saw a small damp spot appear at the crotch of her suit. “I’m just gonna do it here.”

“At least take your clothes off first!” Jackson protested. “You’ll get them soaked!”

“Y-you first,” teased Eve, the damp spot growing larger.

“This is not happening this is not happening this is not-” Jackson stopped muttering to himself. “Okay, okay I will! Just deconstruct your suit already!”

Jackson had no intention of following through on his promise. He mimed unzipping his pants, but apparently that was good enough for Eve. Her suit vanished and with a blissful sigh she began peeing freely. The golden liquid came out in a wild stream, spraying the insides of her thighs and running down to form a massive puddle at her feet. She let out an almost orgasmic moan and Jackson turned away, embarrassed. Behind him, he heard the torrent of urine gradually slow down to a stream, then a trickle, then just a few drips. Only when there was absolute silence did he turn back around. Eve was standing there, still naked and looking at the pool she had made with apparent pride.

1794572015_PAR27.thumb.jpg.3b6d7a58af64b8e07f4479c36c72f529.jpg

“Haahhh,” she sighed, “that felt good. Look how much there is!”

“Um, yeah,” said Jackson. “Now why don’t you put your clothes back on so we can head back to the inn?”
“Nah. I think I’ll stay like this,” said Eve, shaking her hips to dry herself off. 

“Well, you can’t go back like that,” Jackson protested. He fidgeted; this was getting awkward.

“W-what’s goin’ on?” asked Eve. “You need to pee too?”

“No, I’m fine,” Jackson assured her.

“Iss okay,” Eve slurred, staggering over to him. “I’ll help you out.”

“What are you- ah!” Jackson jumped back as Eve reached for his fly. She continued forward, pressing up against him.

“Eve, stop,” said Jackson, trying to keep his voice level. “You’re drunk, this isn’t you.”

“Whadda you mean?” asked Eve, draping her arms over him. “Don’t tell me you don’t like this.”

It was true; the feeling of her nude body touching him wasn’t exactly unpleasant. Still, Jackson wasn’t about to take advantage of her in this state.

“No,” he said firmly. “I don’t like this, and if you were sober you wouldn’t either.”

“Really?” Eve’s hand reached for his crotch again. “Sure feels like you do.”

Jackson pulled away violently; this was the last straw, he couldn’t take it anymore. He dashed back inside, leaving Eve swaying in the alley, and searched the bar until he found Anne.

“What’s going on, Jackson?”

“Look, I need you to take care of Eve,” Jackson explained, his face flushed. “She’s completely wasted, and she won’t listen to me.”

“Okay?” Anne replied. It was clear that she knew there was more going on, but thankfully she didn’t pry. 

Jackson breathed a sigh of relief.

“You’re a lifesaver, Anne.”

The girl chuckled. “Wouldn’t be the first time.”

With that, Anne headed out to the alley, and Jackson to the inn, where he took a long cold shower. With any luck, Eve wouldn’t remember what happened in the morning. He sighed.

“This was a disaster,” Jackson said to himself. Still, as he headed to bed he had to admit it: he had a good time.

-------------------------------------------

Mission complete!

-------------------------------------------

The reward money from the job had been substantial, and to Jackson’s relief, Eve didn’t seem to remember her drunken escapades. Either that, or she just didn’t mention it. It wasn’t long, however, before the mercenaries found themselves on the hunt for a job once again.

> Live Specimen

Details: Dr. Hayes needs assistance with her research. Help her capture a live zombie to further her scientific endeavors.

>Lost and Found

Details: The daughter of a wealthy merchant has gone missing. It’s been a little while, but he thinks she’s still alive. Either way, he wants you to locate her.

>The Woodsmen

P.O.V character: Anne

Details: Woodcutters in Los Padres Forest gather essential materials for construction. Protect them from zombies and wild animals so they can get some decent work done.

>Viva Las Vegas

Details: Provide “entertainment” for the Las Vegas safe zone. Details are unclear.

Mission selected: The Woodsmen

[P.O.V: Anne]

“This one looks good,” David said, taking down a strip of paper. “We’ll get to see a new place.”

“And there’s a good chance we’ll get to kill some zombies,” Anne added, taking a look.

“That’s good enough for me,” said Miller. “Let’s hit the road!”

“I call shotgun!” Anne announced.

“Again?” groaned Jackson.

The drive to the site took them along a winding road through a once-affluent abandoned neighborhood, with mountains to their right and a beautiful stretch of beach to their left.

“Nice view,” Anne commented. She turned to Miller. “You ever been to this place?”

“Once,” Miller replied, “a long time ago. It’s a beautiful place; forests and canyons and rivers…” He trailed off, reminiscing. “And it’s huge; nearly 200,000 acres. I’ve barely seen a fraction of it.”

“Sounds great,” said Anne, not sarcastic for once.

After about an hour, the jeep turned towards the mountains, heading through miles of scrubland. Eventually, an outpost came into view at the side of the road, staffed by a large bearded man. As they got closer, he stepped out and waved to the mercenaries.

“I take it you’re not with our crew?” he asked. 

“No, we’re here about the contract,” Miller replied. “For protection?”

“I see,” said the bearded man. “I’m glad someone finally took it. We’ve been trying to get some decent lumber for months, but zombies keep chasing off the woodcutters. The main mill’s a little way up the road, I’ll radio in and let them know you’re coming.”

“Much obliged,” said Miller with a salute.

As they drove onward, the chaparral gave way to lightly wooded foothills, populated mostly with oak. Anne heard the mill before she saw it; a loud buzzing noise filled the air, mixed with a steady series of barked orders. When they got closer, she saw the building was long and low, with several flatbed trucks surrounding it. A tall woman in overalls and a hard hat came out to greet them.

“Barry told me you were coming,” she said, raising her voice to be heard over the saws. “I’m Helen. You must be the security detail.”

“That’s right,” Miller confirmed. “Where do you want us?”

“Actually, I’ll need to split you up,” said Helen. “We need some guards for the crew that’s heading into the forest, but we also need some of you to stay here. The zombies are getting bolder; they’ve tried to attack the mill a few times.”

“Okay by me,” said Miller. “Mercs, how do we want to do this?”

“Well,” said Anne, “I’m going to the forest. I wanna see more of this place.”

“I would like to go as well,” Eve added.

“Sounds good to me,” said Miller. “I’ll stay here and keep watch.” David and Jackson gave noises of agreement, and the matter was settled. Soon enough, Anne and Eve were off, riding up the mountain trail in two flatbed trucks. Even with her seatbelt, Anne found herself bouncing around from the bumpy road. 

Over time, the terrain got rougher and the forest got thicker. When the trucks came to a stop, Anne staggered out and took a look around her. Trees completely surrounded her, forming a bright green canopy over her head. Light filtered down through the leaves, forming patterns on her skin. No matter how hard she looked, Anne couldn’t tell which way they had come. 

“Beautiful,” Eve whispered in awe. Privately, Anne agreed.

“Okay, listen up,” barked the foreman. “We’ll be harvesting these live oak here, so let’s get to it. Ladies, you two spread out and cover us.” 

Anne checked and loaded her USPs, and she heard the distinctive sound of Eve’s weapons materialising. The lumberjacks grabbed chainsaws from the backs of the trucks, and the air was soon filled with a continuous whirring roar, punctuated by the occasional crash of a falling tree, and the hisses of lumberjacks relieving themselves on the trees.

Goddammit, thought Anne, circling the area with her pistols drawn. I can’t hear a thing over these saws! It’s hard enough to see through all these trees; zombies could sneak right up on us!

After her fifth time around the perimeter with no incidents, Anne paused to lean against a tree and take a swig from her canteen. She closed her eyes, savoring the refreshment and the silence surrounding her. 

The realization hit her a moment later. The sound of the chainsaws had stopped, as well as the chitters and chirps of the forest animals. And that could only mean one thing. Swearing under her breath, Anne raced back towards the trucks.

Anne heard the chaos before she saw it; a cacophony of screams and moans. She burst into the clearing and a horrible scene met her eyes. A horde of zombies had emerged from the trees and was bearing down on the workers. Anne wasted no time, drawing her pistols and opening fire. Zombies collapsed under her hail of bullets, but more kept coming.

“Eve!” she called. “Where are you?”

Anne’s cries were answered by a blaze of light from Eve’s pulse pistols as the white-haired woman ran to her side.

“There are too many of them!” Eve shouted over the noise. “We won’t be able to protect the workers at this rate!”

“Got that right,” grumbled Anne. “They’re dead meat if we stay here.”

“We need to get them out. Can you cover me while I get them in one of the trucks?”

“Sure thing,” said Anne. “Then I’ll take the other one and join you.”

“You can drive?” Eve asked incredulously.

“Eh, how hard can it be?”

Eve wasted no time in rounding up the workers, while Anne kept the horde under control with a few grenades. No sooner had everyone loaded onto the first truck than it took off through the forest.

“Wait up!” Anne called, hopping behind the wheel of the second flatbed. 

One of those lumberjack assholes must be driving, she thought angrily. Eve would never abandon me like this!

Anne stretched her foot out to reach the gas pedal, and the truck roared to life. She jerked the wheel to the right to avoid hitting a tree, but doing so sent the vehicle bouncing over a fallen log.

Okay, Anne admitted, maybe this isn’t as easy as I thought. She peered through the maze of trunks ahead of her, trying to keep sight of the other truck. Stepping on the gas, she managed to pull within fifty feet of it. Then, suddenly, it swerved to the left in a hairpin turn. Anne tried to copy the motion, but instead she felt her truck tilt violently to the right. A sensation of tumbling weightlessness followed, then nothing but darkness.

-------------------------------------

Tap. Tap. Tap.

“Urrgh,” Anne groaned, eyes sealed shut. “Go away!”

Tap. Tap.

“All right, all right!” she snapped. Groggily, Anne opened her eyes and several things hit her at once. One; she was alive. Two; she was lying in an upside-down truck cabin. Three; she was bleeding heavily. And four; there was a zombie tapping at the window.

“Fuck!” Anne cried. She drew one of her USPs and obliterated both the glass and the zombie with a single shot. 

“Jesus,” Anne mumbled, “what happened?” Peering out the shattered window, she could see dirty forest floor, the now-dead zombie, and the base of what looked like a sheer rock wall.

That explains it, she thought. Must’ve gone straight over a cliff. I couldn’t even see the fucking thing! Groaning, Anne undid her seatbelt and fell to the floor (technically the roof). She tried to move, but searing pain shot through her body. 

“Dammit,” Anne mumbled. “Probably broke something.”

Gingerly, she tried to move again, only to be met with more pain.

No good, she thought. I have to get out of here and rejoin the others! Or did she? Mulling it over, Anne second-guessed herself. The others would surely be looking for her, so maybe staying put would be a better option. Plus, the truck would offer some shelter from the weather and zombies. And she hated to admit it, but she might not have the strength to go too far. 

On the other hand, Anne rationalized, I’d be a sitting duck if another horde shows up. 

Anne decided to get moving. She didn’t want to be trapped inside the truck’s cabin. Biting her lip as pain shot through her, Anne crawled out through the shattered windshield. Once she was clear of the truck’s hood, she collapsed on her side, breathing heavily. Gingerly, Anne lifted her head to take in her surroundings. There were still plenty of trees around her, though not as many as there had been atop the cliff. Anne raised her head to try and see the top of said cliff, but it was too tall and obscured by foliage.

Shit, I’m lucky to be alive, she realized. Now which way should I go? She looked up at the cliff, and saw that it seemed to slope down towards her left. With no better options, Anne headed in that direction.

Several minutes passed, and Anne felt like she had barely made any progress. She sat down with a sigh, trying to get her bearings. Then she saw a glint of metal on the forest floor. Curious, she walked over and found what looked like a fat pistol lying on the ground.

It’s a flare gun! Anne realized. And it’s got one shot left. I can signal for help! Then she hesitated. Or it might attract zombies. But I can handle zombies, Anne decided. Better than being lost out here forever. With that she aimed the gun at the sky and pulled the trigger. A bright red flare shot up, trailing smoke behind it. With nothing else to do, Anne sat back and waited for her rescuers to show up. Sure enough, she soon heard the sound of footsteps echoing through the woods. But when she turned to look, unfamiliar faces greeted her.

The newcomers were half a dozen men, dressed in ragged clothes and sporting hungry grins. Anne drew her guns; she had encountered a lot of freaks with lascivious intentions, and these guys looked like prime examples.

“Stay back!” she yelled, hoping they wouldn’t realize that she was injured. The men merely laughed and inched closer, like wolves circling their prey. Anne fired, striking one of them in the chest. He collapsed, but before she could shoot again, a hairy arm reached from behind her and wrapped around her neck. Anne struggled against the previously unseen seventh man, but it was no use. Another of the men approached, wielding a wooden baseball bat. He swung, and everything went black.

—------------

For the second time that day, Anne woke up with a throbbing pain in her temples. She gingerly opened her eyes, but everything was still black, only with a few tiny specks of light. Anne tried to sit up, but found she couldn’t; something was binding her legs together. Slowly, her addled mind managed to piece the information together. She was lying on her back, limbs bound with rope, staring up at the night sky. And she wasn’t alone.

A demented giggle came from her right. Anne could barely make out the form of one of the men, silhouetted against the starlight.

“Looks like she’s awake,” he laughed. “We got us one tasty treat here.”

Anne’s blood ran cold, her worst fears seemingly realized.

“Get your cock anywhere near me and I’ll  bite it off!” she snarled, trying to sound braver than she felt. 

“What?” said the man. “Oh, you got the wrong idea. We ain’t gonna do nothing like that.” He rolled Anne over, and she saw a large bonfire blazing in front of her. “We’re just gonna eat ya.”

“What the fuck?” cried Anne. She thrashed against the ropes binding her, but was unable to budge them. “Are you insane?”

“Nope,” the man replied. He drew a meat cleaver from his belt and crouched down beside her. “It’s all perfectly natural. We’re all just animals after all, and what do animals do?” He grinned, revealing jagged yellow teeth. “They eat each other. Rip and tear and- aaagh!”

His words were cut off as a large black shape burst from the trees and knocked him to the ground. Vicious snarls mixed with his screams, and Anne could just make out his assailant by the light of the fire. It was Gertie, her massive jaws clamped around the would-be cannibal’s neck. With a swift jerk of her head, the man’s screams abruptly stopped. Anne felt a wave of relief wash over her as her fellow mercenaries emerged from the forest, guns drawn. David walked over to his dog and looked down at the dead man.

“Looks like you were right,” he said coldly. He turned to Anne. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Anne managed. “You guys saw my flare?”

“Flare?” said Miller. “No, we saw that huge bonfire they have over there. Figured you had lit it.”

Anne looked at the other cannibals, still recovering from the shock of what had happened, and burst out laughing. “Should have killed me before you lit the fire, dumbasses!”

“Fine!” one of them screeched. They drew weapons and charged. Seconds later, all of them had fallen to a hail of gunfire.

“Not a smart move,” Miller commented, his rifle smoking, “charging four people armed with guns.”

—----------------------------------

Mission complete!

—----------------------------------

By the time they got back to the mill, it was early morning. The payout from the job was decent, but a lot of it went into getting Anne patched up. Though Miller assured her it wasn’t her fault, she still couldn’t help but feel a little guilty. Regardless, the mercenaries needed another job, and they needed it soon.

> Live Specimen

>Lost and Found

>Viva Las Vegas

Mission Selected: Viva Las Vegas

[P.O.V: Miller]

“Let’s do the Vegas one,” Anne said. “We need a big payout, and it looks the most promising.”

“You sure you’re up for it?” asked Miller. He wasn’t sure if she had fully recovered from the last mission.

“I’m sure,” said Anne stiffly. She stood up and began counting her ammunition. “Let’s go already!”

“I agree,” said Eve. “Las Vegas is about five hours away; we should leave as soon as possible.”

Soon enough, the mercenaries were on their way. Their route took them deep into the desert, and the heat was particularly intense. Miller wiped sweat from his forehead as he drove and took a look back at his companions. They were all silent, far too hot to make any attempt at conversation. Anne was turned away from the others, looking sulky. If Miller had to guess, he would have to say that her pride was still wounded from having to be rescued.

The girl’s a fierce one, he rationalized. She’s not the type to take that sort of thing lying down. Hope this mission helps. A little zombie-killing oughta get her spirits up.

When the sun finally began to set, it was a relief to all of them. 

“Finally,” groaned Anne. “I thought I was gonna pass out!”

“Tell me about it,” said David. “But on the bright side, we’re almost there!”

“I was just thinking about that,” said Eve. “Given that we are in unfamiliar territory, it might be wise to stop for the night.”

“What are you talking about?” Anne retorted. “In another hour or two, we’ll be there!

“Maybe,” said Eve, “but it is risky traveling here after dark.”

“Your call, Miller,” David said.

Miller thought it over, and decided that the best option was to play it safe.

“We’ll pull over and stop for the night,” he announced. “We can sleep in shifts; I’ll take first watch.”

“Okay,” said Anne, a little reluctantly. Miller found a flat stretch of ground and pulled the jeep over. After everyone had taken care of everything they needed too (eating, stretching, and pissing), they curled up inside the jeep to rest. Miller kept watch for several hours before waking Jackson, and the night passed without incident.

As soon as dawn broke, the mercenaries were on their way again. The Las Vegas safe zone soon loomed on the horizon, an sprawl of buildings surrounded by a massive protective wall. They drove up to the gate where they were stopped by two rifle-wielding guards.

“Easy there,” said Miller. “We’re just here for the job. You know, the ‘entertainment?’”

“Finally,” grumbled one guard. “I thought nobody would be-”

His partner elbowed him in the gut before addressing Miller.”Head right on through. Go down the main stretch until you reach the pyramid, then take a right. Then they’ll be waiting for you at the fifth building on your left.”

“Much obliged,” said Miller. He drove in and immediately his eyes went wide from visual overload.

“Holy shit,” Anne gasped in awe. “What is this place?”

Miller honestly wondered that himself. It was certainly a far cry from the Los Angeles safe zone. That one was utilitarian over all else, with dilapidated skyscrapers serving as a barrier around simple buildings made from salvaged materials. Las Vegas, on the other hand, was extravagant and colorful, with buildings in various architectural styles sporting neon signs, some burned-out and others still running. There were a few exceptionally strange structures scattered around, including a giant globe, a run-down ferris wheel, and a 300-foot pyramid dead ahead.

“Think that’s it?” Jackson quipped. Miller took a moment to gaze at the massive monolith before taking a right.

Counting buildings, Miller found that the fifth one on the left was shaped like a temple made of marble. Roman-styled, if he remembered his history. Below a sign reading LITTLE CALIGULA’S, more guards were indeed waiting. 

“Welcome,” said one. “We’ve been expecting you.”

“We are grateful for your presence,” the other added. “However, we must ask that you lay down your weapons before entering. Basic safety; I’m sure you understand.”

Anne started to protest, but a glare from Miller stopped her. “We’re guests here; we have to abide,” he explained. “Besides,” he added under his breath, “if things go south, Eve still has access to her Digistruct weapons.” 

“Fine,” said Anne reluctantly. The mercenaries handed over their guns and entered the building, escorted by the guards. 

Based on the extravagant exterior, Miller had been expecting the place to be a palace on the inside. Instead, it was dark, dingy, and seemed to consist of endless corridors. He felt uneasy, and was glad he had his combat knife hidden inside his shirt. Eventually, the guard came to a stop in front of a massive iron door. He pried it open with difficulty, and Miller was blinded by the bright sunlight. Then he felt someone shove him from behind. Caught off-guard, he tumbled forward and landed on a rough sandy surface. He heard sounds of struggle, then a deep clang as the door slammed shut. Squinting from the sun’s glare, Miller took in his new surroundings.

He and his mercs were at the edge of a large circular stadium about 300 feet in diameter. The arena was littered with bits of improvised cover, like piles of tires and barriers made from steel sheets. A 20-foot wall encircled the area, followed by several rings of seats filled with people.

Wait a minute, Miller realized. I read about this. This place is a cali… a colli…

“Welcome to Little Caligula’s Colosseum!” roared an ecstatic voice. Miller located the source as a man with a megaphone in a booth situated in the top row of seats. “We’ve got one hell of a show for you today! Please welcome our latest competitors!” The crowd cheered in approval, chilling Miller’s blood.

“What the fuck is this?” cried Anne over the noise.

“Colosseum,” Miller answered. “In Ancient Rome, gladiators fought to the death here.”

“I knew this was a bad idea,” David groaned.

“Now, say hello to our returning champions!” the announcer continued. “The very finest of the Praetorian Guard!”

Another door opened across the arena, and several people stepped forward, clad in body armor and carrying spears.

“You know the rules,” said the announcer. “Last ones standing win! Weapons are scattered throughout the colosseum. Now, release the zombies!”

Dozens of small doors opened, releasing the shambling hordes.

“What do we do?” Anne shouted.

“We should stay as a group,” Eve suggested. “That way, we will not be overwhelmed.”

“Wrong,” said Jackson. “We’d get swarmed if we did that. We should split up and ambush them.”

Should they stick together?

>Stick together

>Split up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

“Live or die, we stick together,” Miller said firmly. “Find a weapon, then we’ll reconvene behind that wall.” He pointed to the sturdiest bit of cover he could find. “Move out!” 

Miller dashed forward and grabbed an assault rifle that was lying on the ground. Unfortunately, so did one of the guards; and Miller was barely able to dive behind the wall. Looking to his left, he saw that all his companions had grabbed guns (except Eve, who had materialized her pulse pistols). 

“What now?” asked Anne, loading a sawed-off shotgun.

“We’ve got cover between 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock,” Miller replied, gesturing to the wall. “If we cover each other we should be able to take them out one by one. I’ll take 4 o’clock; David, 5; Anne, 7; and Jackson, you’ve got 8. Eve, keep watch if someone tries to flank us. Your railgun should take care of them.”

With that, the mercs took up positions. Miller lined up his shots precisely, carefully taking out the guards as they approached. They kept coming, however, and he was soon low on ammo. Then he spotted a rocket launcher one of them had dropped nearby. If Miller could get to it, he would be able to take out the whole group in one shot.

Or, he thought, I could blast the wall and we could escape.

What to shoot?

>Guards 

>Wall

Another short, quick post; next one will be longer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Rolling to avoid gunfire, Miller grabbed and loaded the rocket launcher. He took aim and fired at the group of advancing foes. There was a massive fireball, a deafening roar, then silence. Then-

“We have a winner!” shouted the announcer. Miller looked around; bodies of both guards and zombies lay strewn around the coliseum. The wooden doors opened, and more guards arrived to escort the mercenaries away. 

“Well done,” one of them said. “That was the best show in ages.” He led them into a lavishly decorated room with soft-looking beds and deep purple curtains. The mercs’ confiscated gear lay on a wooden table. 

“Rest here for a while,” said the guard. “When you’re ready, head down the hall and to the right; we’ll give you the reward.” He turned and left. David flopped down on one of the beds and sighed.

“Glad that’s over.”

“Agreed,” said Anne. “Now grab your gear and let’s get the hell out of here!”

“Are we going to leave without the reward?” Eve asked.

“Of course we are,” Anne replied. “It sucks to get stiffed, but do you really think we can trust these people?”

What should they do?

> Run

> Stay

• 2 weeks later...

“I think we should stay,” said Miller. “If there’s trouble, well, they were either nice or stupid enough to return our gear.”

“Fair enough,” said Anne. They headed down the hallway, where they were greeted by the guards once more.

“Courtesy of the Emperor,” said one, handing them a large sack. Miller looked inside and saw it was filled with gold coins.

“Damn!” Anne marveled, picking one up. “What’s the exchange rate on these things?”

Not much, it turned out. The coins were mostly copper, with only a thin layer of gold on the outside. It wasn’t long before the mercenaries were checking the job board again.

“This ‘missing person’ one has been posted for months,” Jackson noted. “I say she’s dead by now.”

“For once, I agree with you,” said Anne. “But whoever posted it is still paying.”

“Or we could assist Dr. Hayes,” Eve suggested. "It appears her efforts have been unsuccessful so far."

Choose a mission

> Live Specimen

>Lost and Found

Details: The daughter of a wealthy merchant has gone missing. It’s been a little long while, but he thinks she’s still alive. Either way, he wants you to locate her.

• 3 months later...

“Let’s check in on Dr. Hayes,” said Miller. “I’ve been wondering what she’s up to.”

“Sounds good to me,” David agreed, and they were off. The good doctor was standing by the front door of her shack when they arrived.

“Ah, glad to see you again,” she greeted them.

“You as well,” said Eve, shaking Dr. Hayes’ hand.

“What’s with this job you have for us?” asked Jackson, getting straight to the point. “You want us to capture a live zombie?”

“Technically, it wouldn’t be considered ‘alive’,” Eve corrected. “‘Active’ would be a better term.”

“Whatever,” Jackson groaned, but Eve saw the hint of a smile.

“Either way, I need one that I can observe the behavior of,” said Dr. Hayes. “I believe I may be close to a breakthrough in my research.”

“And how do you propose we do that?” Anne questioned.

“Follow me,” Dr. Hayes replied.

She led the mercenaries inside and down the stairs to her work area. Sitting in the middle of the room was a contraption made of two connected boxes, each big enough to hold a person. One was a steel cage with one side that could slide up, and the other was a glass box that was so sheer it was nearly invisible. 

“That’s tempered glass,” Dr. Hayes explained. “It’s strong enough to withstand any zombie. They head for the bait in the glass box, and when a zombie enters the cage, it triggers the switch and traps itself inside.”

“Neat,” said Miller. “So what’s the bait?”

“Well…” Dr. Hayes looked a little nervous. “You are.” Seeing the looks the mercenaries were giving her, she hurriedly continued. “The zombies won’t be attracted by dead meat, and the glass box is perfectly safe. Pick off any stragglers and you’ll be fine.”

“I see,” said Eve. “In that case, I volunteer to be bait.”

“Not a chance,” Anne snapped. “This whole plan is insane. I say we go in, mow ‘em down, and leave one. Then we blow its legs off and haul it back here.”

“That sounds even more dangerous,” said David.

“At least nobody will be trapped in a cage that way,” Anne countered.

“Either way, it’s ultimately up to Eve,” said Miller. “Eve, what do you say?”

Which plan should she go with?

> Dr. Hayes’

> Anne’s

• 6 months later...

Eve thought it over. Attacking the zombies head-on would be dangerous, but nothing they hadn’t faced before. Plus, she didn’t really like the thought of being trapped in a cage for hours. What if she had to pee? She gave the others her opinion: they should go with Anne’s plan. Dr. Hayes didn’t look too happy about that, but she was in no position to argue. The mercenaries headed for a location she suggested: a gas station overrun by a horde. The horde wasn’t too big, but there were more than enough zombies to fit their purposes.

They parked their jeep atop a ridge overlooking the gas station. Miller scoped it out with  a pair of binoculars.

“It’s pretty crowded down there,” he reported. “Anne, soften them up with a few frag grenades, then we’ll head in and wipe out the rest.”

“What about the specimen?” Eve asked.

“We’ll leave one,” Miller replied, “then have David break its legs with his crowbar.”

“Sounds like a plan,” said Jackson. “Bet you I get the most kills.”

“You’re on,” said Anne as she loaded her pistols. Eve materialized her pistols as well, but Miller held up a hand to stop her.

“I need you to stay here,” he told her. “Cover us with your railgun in case things get ugly.

Eve nodded, then took up a sniper’s position lying on her stomach. The rest of the mercs started down a small trail on the side of the ridge. About halfway down, Miller stopped.

“Now, Anne!” he ordered.

Anne grinned as she took out two grenades. “Finally, I get to use these!” She pulled the pins and hurled them into the center of the horde. A huge explosion went up and the mercs rushed into battle. Eve watched them through the scope of her railgun. They were doing well, not that she’d expected any less from her friends. Still, it looked like there were more zombies than anticipated. Maybe they’d been hiding inside the station? Either way, Eve fired her railgun through the thickest part of the crowd, reducing the zombies to piles of blackened bone.

The mercenaries kept cutting swathes through the horde, but there seemed to be no end to the zombies. It was several minutes before the flow even slightly slowed down, and by that point Eve could barely see her companions through the piles of bodies. Also, she realized her bladder was starting to get pretty full. She chuckled at the irony of how she’d avoided the cage out of fear of becoming desperate, only for this to happen. She hadn’t expected the job to take this long.

Eve considered her options. She could take a quick break now, which seemed fairly safe as the zombies were starting to wind down. Or she could try to hold it until the battle was over. Maybe she could even use the restroom at the station. It would make for a nice change of pace, even though she didn’t mind peeing outdoors (Anne seemed to actively enjoy it). But would she be able to hold her pee in for that long? Her need to pee was getting pretty bad…

What should she do?

>Take a break

>Hold it