Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Allow users to view the status of posts pending approval

As a new user, my first 7 posts require moderator approval which I totally understand. 

However, my newer posts have been approved while some of my older posts have not. This makes me wonder if my older posts were silently rejected. If they were rejected for some reason, I don’t know the reason. 

It’s also hard to view my pending posts as they don’t show up under my profile or content I’ve posted. 

My suggestion is to provide more transparency into the approval process. Such as:

* Providing a place where new users can view their pending posts and their moderation status.

* Providing notifications for rejected posts and why they were rejected. 

Apart from that, I’ve been enjoying the site so far 🙂 Thanks for reading. 

13 hours ago, KozmoFox said:

Hi!

Allow me to address this one directly mainly because this actually mainly concerns me.

I cannot speak as to the UI  of the site, maybe there's some merit to having a space to look at them, but the transparency will stay essentially exactly how it is. I can explain how it works however, because I handle the vast majority of it. Its a good chunk of my time, to be perfectly honest.

The queue, I must state firstly so that what I'm about to say sinks in, gets pretty massive. Hundreds of posts massive. This is a far bigger site than most people give it credit for, hundreds of thousands of accounts and millions of unique visitors. Obviously not all of them are posting, but it piles up. There are lots of posts to be vetted. These posts come from people in the new member category. Once your first seven posts are approved, you're golden unless we put you back on mod queue for being naughty and now you need to be babysat by Mama Kozmo. A lot of people are babysat by Mama Kozmo.

All of these posts are vetted by the human eye. Mine, the majority of the time. It needs to be this way; the entire purpose of this system is to weed out spammers, creeps, bots, angry camgirls looking to guerrilla advertise, the list goes on. Some of these can be caught with automated systems, others not so much. A good eye needs to see these things, and after awhile its just like that one guy in the matrix says. You stop seeing posts, and you start specifically seeing the signs. Your eyes flick around looking for things like character ages in fictions, anything involving other people or public things or unowned property, the list goes on. Creepy people have patterns and you recognize them after years of this.

The actual FUNCTION of the queue is very yes/no/maybe. I have several buttons at my disposal. I have the big green approve button, which does exactly what you think it does. I have the big red delete button, which also does exactly what you think it does. There are two more buttons; hide and skip. I use Hide to hide a post from public view but NOT delete it. Normally we go straight to delete, things that aren't touching the public have no need of taking up server space, but there are instances where something is particularly egregious and we need to keep it up to deal with it in other manners as well. Skip is for when I'm genuinely straight up 100% on the fence about a post and I want Kyuu to see it and make the call instead, or if I want to leave a post in the queue that I find REALLY FUNNY like, I dunno, random spams of Simpsons vore, I am absolutely leaving that in the queue for Kyuu or Ashi to accidentally stumble upon.

Assuming I explained that enough, I'm going to draw a few lines in the sand for the public to see. Some of them might make some people mad, and they can stay mad this is my job not theirs, but hopefully it can be seen where I'm coming from on these things.

Out of the gate, the day you make me explain on each individual rejection why I rejected it is the day I resign. I am 100% completely serious. Any I know the tinfoils out there are going "CENSORSHIP!!! YOU'RE HIDING SOMETHING!!" but no, its because it simply will take far, far too long. The queue would require its own entire team of people, because like I said initially, we get HUNDREDS of these posts. It doesn't have its own unique team of people, it has me. Here's where I start saying the spicy bit. It does not need more than me, and we are wholly of the belief the system does not require what you are asking of it, nor should it. The approval queue system isn't going to be getting a team full of people alongside me just so it can be typed in "Sorry octopus_slutlord34, we do not allow pikachu guro as stated in--". That is just not happening. Ever. Again, I will quit when it does. I'm not doing it.

This can be possibly be recontextualized by pointing out that the approval/denial rate is probably far off from what you'd expect. It could honestly be in the ballpark of 50/50 some days, and that's no joke. On top of the bots and spammers, some people have just obviously never posted on a forum before. I genuinely hate to say it, but the vast majority of the posts in the queue are dumb. I'm not levying an attack at you with that, I just want you to know that the posts your post is surrounded by in that queue, are definitely not posts made by your intellectual peers. The next guy in the queue is a guy necroing a 10 year old thread about memes to talk about how much his wifes crotch stinks, with photo evidence. I bet you hope that's a joke; I pulled that one from memory. If the point I'm trying to make isn't seeping in at this point I don't know what will.

This is getting to be a long post but I don't get the opportunity to talk about just what I do and how much I do around here so I'm excited so sorry for hijacking your post a little with an insanely long answer. But furthermore, it could be easy to overestimate how much time is spent on one of your posts. I can click delete after reading 2 or 3 words without so much as knowing a characters name, if they're the right three buzzwords. I do not come to your post in the queue to have a deep ponder on it and type up a reflection, I spend a moment with it and I make my judgement. The post is skimmed, and if a thing jumps out about it, it can be deleted and we're immediately onto the next post. There's hundreds. There's no time for more than that, and to be perfectly and straight up honest; that's not a matter of neglect. It really is all that is required. Like I said, after years you very much develop systems and a sense for things and at this point I think all of our staff have acquired said sense. Spend years skimming hundreds of low quality omo-org posts a day and you'll pick out the bad apples at lightspeed too, you know?

But that does not mean the process is fast. Again, hundreds. This is actually why I am the one doing this so often to a degree, I'm very autistic (no, really) and my very very specfic thing is I can read really really fast. As a result, I am able to go through the whole 100+  queue while giving it its due diligence. BUT, make me have to stop on half of those low quality posts and type out the worlds most obvious reason every single time, would absolutely neuter mine and any other staff members pace at this work, for essentially no gain. Again, Little Timmy doesn't need an explanation on why his simpsons vore was rejected.

In fact, omorashi.org is a privately owned site; we in the staff team firmly believe absolutely nobody is entitled to a letter of explanation as to why something can't be up on our site. Nobody is owed it by default. However, as mean and angry as I made that sound, that doesn't mean we won't tell you if you reasonably ask, ESPECIALLY if you go through some minor effort to help me recall which post it was; again, it was one of hundreds. You send in a ticket asking "where did my post go?" and at a glance not only do I not know what post you're talking about, I don't even know who you are, you're the 400th member name I've seen TODAY. But, if you go, "Hi I had the post up about the whatchamahoosits in the dinkleberg" and I might remember "Oh yeah! Sorry I'm unsure if you were aware but in that show rosemary whatchamahoosits is underage, if you aged her up and specified shes 18 with a minor edit and reposted it'd be fine." But that's the exception to the rule for members that are reasonable and think to just ask in our ticket system, and would be absolute chaos to try and make the default.

Now, I realized I just offered a buttload of context without offering any real solutions, so let me fix that. Most of this stuff ends up silently deferred to me simply by default, so I will tell you what I expect of you as a member when I delete your post. This is what goes through my mind as to what you should be doing or thinking.

- Read the guidelines and mull over the post. That is the main thing I want people to do. I also handle a lot of the warnings and bans on the site, but I try not to give them out to people in queue in favor of simply deleting the post and going to the rules and guidelines to become more familiar with them and hopefully not do it again.

- If you can't see a way that applies, think to yourself if you violated general forum etiquette. The most common form of this is necroing, if a post in the queue is going into a thread that's had no activity in months, I don't care what the post is, unless its TRULY thread revival material I'm binning it. No self respecting forum allows that. Beyond that, were you trying to advertise something? Did something you say in the post come off like it could be creepy or offensive to another member?

- If all else fails, ask me! It could have been a mistake! As much as I'm a complete whackjob who goes into manic phases declaring herself God Queen of Everything, I am in fact prone to human error sometimes. With hundreds upon hundreds of posts, sometimes my hand will slip. Maybe I missed. Maybe I was just having a bad day and didn't give your post the due diligence it deserves. Theyre valid concerns to have, and if you're patient with me and are efficient in actually allowing me to recall whichever post it was, I'll gladly help you!!

- More of a footnote, if you're writing a fiction or something and its an edge case, and you're unsure it will stay up, save a copy. I'm serious. We don't keep it. If its deleted its gone and if you write to us upset that was your only copy of the fiction, I'm sorry but its genuinely not our problem. Save your stuff, folks.

HOPEFULLY that massive amount of text helps contextualize the approval system and how I as the proverbial Thunderball use it. I apologize you're not going to get the kind of transparency you asked for, hopefully this explanation serves to be better transparency in its place!!

Wow, thanks for this interesting look behind the scenes. Really appreciate all the hard work that is invested in keeping this place in order. Thank you!

You must have acquired a quite impressive skillset over the years in pattern recognition. It’s a pity you can hardly include that in your cv.

Edited by HereToStay (see edit history)
On 8/21/2022 at 6:23 PM, KozmoFox said:

Hi!

Allow me to address this one directly mainly because this actually mainly concerns me....

- Read the guidelines and mull over the post. That is the main thing I want people to do.

As you have to read so much of the junk, and most people start posting before reading the guidelines.

(Yes I'll hold my hand up to this and prepare for my spanking!)

I think your all doing an amazing job.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but yes I've not seen one post advertising junk for sale, only posts from like-minded individuals.

Thank you for keeping the place nice.

Regards

The Lone Ranger