Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Question about best way to post multi-part story

Hi, fellow dribblers and gushers! 💦

I've been in a position lately where my interest in wetting has been very much ON, but my opportunities to browse and/or indulge have been very limited. Therefore, I have resorted to an old standby — making up shit in my head and writing it down. A Word document, after all, is very easy to minimize and hide and does not look particularly sus, 😈 and now I have A LOT of pages with something that is essentially explicit wetting smut. 🙈 

I want to share it here, but I thought I would ask what the best way of posting it is.

Is it better to just keep adding the subsequent parts as new comments whenever I get them finished, or should I add them all separately? I'm thinking it's best to keep it all in one place, right?

And how do I handle tags if I do that? Should I add tags that apply to the whole story, even if the things that are referenced by the tags do not appear until a later instalment? Can I edit the tags as I add instalments?

Suggestions welcome. 😊

Well, if you look at the other stories posted here... most are contained in one thread, with new parts added as replies.

About the tags... if you want new tags with each chapter, then I guess you need to post each chapter as a new thread (number them). Ironically, the person who did post his story in (so far) two threads, didn't change tags... 😋

Edited by vincp44 (see edit history)

What i would and is personally doing in my stories is the former. Posting them under the same topic as replies — adding more as i finish more chapters. As for tags, i'd add more as the story progresses. For things that don't have existing preset tags, i will write them as content warnings either at the beginning of the story or at the beginning of a chapter if said themes were introduced later into the story.

I think keeping each story organized under their own roofs is much easier to follow, both for the author and the readers

That's just my take on it though

Anyways, hope that helps 👍

16 hours ago, wendywetpants said:

Is it better to just keep adding the subsequent parts as new comments whenever I get them finished, or should I add them all separately? I'm thinking it's best to keep it all in one place, right?

For me, the best solution is adding consecutive parts as comments. The advantage is such that the readers can subscribe to a subject and then they are notified of a new part. So there is a small chance of missing it.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:55 PM, Unbeknownst said:

Also, there’s a dedicated blog section that can be used for this sort of thing. The only problem I have with the using blogs though is that making a new post only notifies those that follow the blog meaning regular fiction readers will miss it since the blog and fiction sections aren’t integrated. 

Oh wow, I never knew the blog section had stories too, I think that needs to be a bit more pronounced somehow on the site, or maybe some sort of integration would be good.

The simplest and probably best way is to do it all in one thread. Something I've done when I felt like I needed separate tags for each part is include the tags written out at the start of each part. (For example Part 1 [Group Desperation] [Relief]). Though unless you are dealing with fairly unusual tags, even that probably isn't super needed. Good luck writing!

On blogs; the blog section is actually super useful for fics, but people rarely search for fiction there. I tend to use it as a way to store big projects that also have their own thread.

People posting different chapters as different threads is actually one of the things on the site I really hate, and wish was actually a rule that would be enforced. It just buries everything else under the same story taking up a bunch of space. The only downside is the lack of tagging; again, something I wish we just had the freedom to edit at any time. If you know what you'll be writing later, you can tag ahead of time and worst-case scenario is that someone only interested in that content would be momentarily disappointed, but if I come back to Suikoden a year later and write about a character I didn't know existed when I started the thread, there's nothing I can do. And it's even worse if it's now a character of a different gender.

The blog section ends up being the best of all worlds (less cluttered, individually taggable chapters, the reader doesn't have to scroll to find a specific section), but it is less trafficked and obvious. I still get a surprising number of views (I think blogs show up better on Google), so it's good as a backup for a multi-part story.