Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Expanding Bladder Capacity

I don’t have incontinence or an overactive bladder, but I’ve always googled if I could make my bladder bigger and gotten results for that kind of thing. My current holding capacity is 1150ml (which is small, I know,) but I want to one day hit 1500, maybe even 2000ml.  

Has anyone ever tried to train their bladder to hold larger amounts? Did it work and how much more could you hold? Most importantly, how does one stretch and expand the size of their bladder without screwing it up? 

• 3 weeks later...

First - I would not estimate your capacity of 1150 ml being small, rather above average.
In younger days I also was unhappy with the size of my bladder and started to enlarge it simply by always postponing peeing until the urge became overwhelming and I was on the verge of wetting. The positive side effect was that doing so enabled me to reduce peeing to twice a day or sometimes even more infequent. I think the essence is not to do this just every now and then but as an everyday habit. For me it worked. But your goal of 2000 ml really is demanding

I think that judging yourself based on this community probably isn't fair to yourself. I've read that the average bladder capacity is somewhere between 400ml to 500ml, and you're way above that.

I define anything below 500ml as small, anything from 500ml to 1L as average, and above 1L as a big bladder. 

I'm not sure if it's physically possible to increase your bladder capacity by holding urine. From what I understand, bladder training is more psychological. The theory is that by waiting longer to urinate after feeling the urge, your brain will adapt and, all other things being held constant, you will be able to wait longer before feeling the urge to urinate. For example, if someone has a maximum bladder capacity of 600ml, and they normally feel the urge to urinate at 300ml, after bladder training, they may no longer feel the urge to urinate until 400ml, but their maximum capacity is still 600ml. 

In my experience, the above is true. Since I started holding regularly, I don't think my maximum capacity has increased much (maybe 100ml max), but I've learned that what I used to consider "desperate" is nothing, and that the feeling of a truly full bladder is sooooo much more painful/ agonizing/ panic inducing. 

@lsn1

"I'm not sure if it's physically possible to increase your bladder capacity by holding urine. From what I understand, bladder training is more psychological. The theory is that by waiting longer to urinate after feeling the urge, your brain will adapt and, all other things being held constant, you will be able to wait longer before feeling the urge to urinate. For example, if someone has a maximum bladder capacity of 600ml, and they normally feel the urge to urinate at 300ml, after bladder training, they may no longer feel the urge to urinate until 400ml, but their maximum capacity is still 600ml. 

In my experience, the above is true. Since I started holding regularly, I don't think my maximum capacity has increased much (maybe 100ml max), but I've learned that what I used to consider "desperate" is nothing, and that the feeling of a truly full bladder is sooooo much more painful/ agonizing/ panic inducing."

I think there is definitely some truth to that as after I got my job where I had to hold for six or seven hours I had to mentally prepare myself for that. However I still felt the urge at the same rate and although I was able to hold it I never really stopped thinking about the fact that I had to pee for most of the day. But I really don't think that you can expand your bladder that much beyond what you are born with.

I am confident that you could increase your bladder capacity by training. Consider those people who report bladder capacities of 1800ml upwards - I don't think those people were born with such a big bladder from day one. Training, consciously or not, must have had at least some impact.

Here is where am I at :

• Age: As with all physical training: the older you are, the harder it is to get to the same results. Start early.
  • Measure: regularly measure your capacity. But do not only consider the cases where you are bursting at 10/10. Instead, also consider the times when you just regularly use the toilet. Track your bladder's content over time. Besides the max capacity, see if the average fill level also increases. Take pride in this as well: it is probably easier to increase your avg. fill level than expanding your bladder to a 2L tank.
  • Known your bladder: whenever you measure, try to guess how much you are holding. Note that down as well. Track over time how much your actual fill level deviates from your estimates. The desperation might at times not much be related to the actual amount of urine you are holding. Getting a good feel makes it easier to estimate when you have no measuring cup at hand.
  • General Routine: stick to a pee schedule. Pee X times per day and define up-front when those moments are. But find something that works for your daily life. It must be challenging, but possible. If you aim too high, you are going to lose interest soon. Regularly evaluate your pee schedule: does it still fit? Is it still challenging? 
  • Training 1: increase the amount of liquids you drink. Drink regularly instead of everything at once (probably better for your kidneys). Let your bladder fill up. Gently massage it if possible. Feel it. Enjoy it. Masturbate if it helps you to keep it in.
  • Training 2: disrupt your schedule and add some additional hours to one of your holds.
  • Rest: don't do more than two extreme training holds after each other. Give days of rest in-between. It is probably similar to what we are being told at the gym: the recovery is when the muscles build up.
  • Kegel: do Kegel exercises. Do reverse Kegels as well. Don't do them with a full bladder, don't do them after a big hold. Build it into your daily routine. Bus ride = Kegels. 
  • Go gentle: Avoid overdoing it. Your aim is to train, not to harm. Listen to your body: strange sensations in the region of your kidneys: abort and rest.
  • FInd a buddy: as with the gym, find someone to share your workout with. Talk about it. Compare.
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, DesperateJill said:

@lsn1

"I'm not sure if it's physically possible to increase your bladder capacity by holding urine. From what I understand, bladder training is more psychological. The theory is that by waiting longer to urinate after feeling the urge, your brain will adapt and, all other things being held constant, you will be able to wait longer before feeling the urge to urinate. For example, if someone has a maximum bladder capacity of 600ml, and they normally feel the urge to urinate at 300ml, after bladder training, they may no longer feel the urge to urinate until 400ml, but their maximum capacity is still 600ml. 

In my experience, the above is true. Since I started holding regularly, I don't think my maximum capacity has increased much (maybe 100ml max), but I've learned that what I used to consider "desperate" is nothing, and that the feeling of a truly full bladder is sooooo much more painful/ agonizing/ panic inducing."

I think there is definitely some truth to that as after I got my job where I had to hold for six or seven hours I had to mentally prepare myself for that. However I still felt the urge at the same rate and although I was able to hold it I never really stopped thinking about the fact that I had to pee for most of the day. But I really don't think that you can expand your bladder that much beyond what you are born with.

While I think you can physically enlarge your bladder somewhat, the psychological factor is an important one.  You can train your sensory nerves and your brain to accept more fullness before you feel any urge to pee, and train your bladder muscles not to respond to being very full.  

That being said, the bladder is somewhat elastic, and we know some people can hold until their bladders swell quite noticeably.  The bulge diary has many pics and videos of that.  They probably had large bladders to start with, and they have trained themselves to find pleasure in the pain, or even not perceive pain at all.

@Spectator9

"While I think you can physically enlarge your bladder somewhat, the psychological factor is an important one.  You can train your sensory nerves and your brain to accept more fullness before you feel any urge to pee, and train your bladder muscles not to respond to being very full.  

That being said, the bladder is somewhat elastic, and we know some people can hold until their bladders swell quite noticeably.  The bulge diary has many pics and videos of that.  They probably had large bladders to start with, and they have trained themselves to find pleasure in the pain, or even not perceive pain at all."

I think that psychology is a major factor in desperation, I've even said that desperation is maybe 90% psychological but the physical bladder only has so many limits. But it's true you can train your mind to tune out the pain or the fullness, although I find that I can't ignore it completely, I have found that nonetheless I can put it in the back of my mind if I really need to, but I never stop feeling the urge to go, it's always sort of there at least in the back of your mind urgently telling you that you need to pee.

@ryancorm

"I know a girl who goes once a day and holds 2300-2400ml each time"

Is she German? I think a lot of us know who you are talking about if she is. But she seems to be able to deal with it by enjoying the pain from a full bladder so I guess there is a lot of psychological factors to that, although she said that she trained herself to hold for 24 hours very gradually by increasing it over the course of many years.

But I think that the average person even if they trained to make their bladder larger will never be able to achieve that level, it's a rare few who can go once a day, because I think for the average person even if they could physically do that it would probably be maddening!

On 9/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, darkcoffeenow said:

I am confident that you could increase your bladder capacity by training. Consider those people who report bladder capacities of 1800ml upwards - I don't think those people were born with such a big bladder from day one. Training, consciously or not, must have had at least some impact.

Here is where am I at :

• Age: As with all physical training: the older you are, the harder it is to get to the same results. Start early.
  • Measure: regularly measure your capacity. But do not only consider the cases where you are bursting at 10/10. Instead, also consider the times when you just regularly use the toilet. Track your bladder's content over time. Besides the max capacity, see if the average fill level also increases. Take pride in this as well: it is probably easier to increase your avg. fill level than expanding your bladder to a 2L tank.
  • Known your bladder: whenever you measure, try to guess how much you are holding. Note that down as well. Track over time how much your actual fill level deviates from your estimates. The desperation might at times not much be related to the actual amount of urine you are holding. Getting a good feel makes it easier to estimate when you have no measuring cup at hand.
  • General Routine: stick to a pee schedule. Pee X times per day and define up-front when those moments are. But find something that works for your daily life. It must be challenging, but possible. If you aim too high, you are going to lose interest soon. Regularly evaluate your pee schedule: does it still fit? Is it still challenging? 
  • Training 1: increase the amount of liquids you drink. Drink regularly instead of everything at once (probably better for your kidneys). Let your bladder fill up. Gently massage it if possible. Feel it. Enjoy it. Masturbate if it helps you to keep it in.
  • Training 2: disrupt your schedule and add some additional hours to one of your holds.
  • Rest: don't do more than two extreme training holds after each other. Give days of rest in-between. It is probably similar to what we are being told at the gym: the recovery is when the muscles build up.
  • Kegel: do Kegel exercises. Do reverse Kegels as well. Don't do them with a full bladder, don't do them after a big hold. Build it into your daily routine. Bus ride = Kegels. 
  • Go gentle: Avoid overdoing it. Your aim is to train, not to harm. Listen to your body: strange sensations in the region of your kidneys: abort and rest.
  • FInd a buddy: as with the gym, find someone to share your workout with. Talk about it. Compare.

This key list reminds me of my own list. All the points have been described so well. Thank you for sharing this and invigorating the passion to push myself again! 😄

I first measured aged about 11 or 12 and was 1080ml, and couldn't improve for several years despite frequent training. But as most of you will know, I am now 1800ml and can regularly achieve 1600ml.  Only this week I made it to 1710ml (exactly 3 imperial pints) and even better, for the first time in my life managed to get and maintain an erection while really full.  I tried sex with my GF while this full and she encouraged me by making me drink 2 extra pints of water in the last hour of the hold. Eventually she turned over and I couldn't take resting my bladder and what felt like my whole weight on her bum during rear entry, so emptied and measured, then resumed our sex session.

My point is that my capacity at absolute maximum has risen from 1080ml to 1800ml.  I don't agree that holding is primarily psychological, the bladder and sphincter have to be trained like any muscle as well as choosing mentally to ignore the sensations while training.

From what I've read online, official sources tend to say you can't really "expand" your bladder capacity, but more or less increase the strength of your Kegel muscles.

However, anecdotally, I've been able to expand my bladder capacity a good amount over the past ~10 years. During high school I never measured, but I could easily drink 2 water bottles before having to pee. Few years ago, I pushed myself and had a capacity of ~1.2L, then over time (thanks to the discord server!) I've been able to get my capacity to 1.75L.

Basically all I did is log my holds, and drink on a set schedule. Every time, try to last 5 minutes more. Eventually, the amount of time you can hold will go up slowly over time.