Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I've seen that statue (the one you're using as base picture) with my own eyes. It's The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen, Denmark. Personally, we had a penthouse apartment for the week we were there, across the street from Tivoli Gardens. I loved taking the day and walking down Strøget, or renting a car to head out to Bilund and visit Legoland. Of course, I have Danish blood, and I would usually pop into a shop on Strøget and get myself some Tyrkisk Peber candies.

Your reply sent me back checking my sources.  Indeed the statue on the rock ("smudged" out in my layering) was inspired by Copenhagen's Little Mermaid.  The statue in the background layer represents a popular recreation in the area.

Your post also reminds me of a 1952 movie celebrating Hans Christian Andersen, fairy tails and Copenhagen.  In spite of lacking jazz influence and heavy percussion and being too melodic for popular music here, the movie's song celebrating Copenhagen remained high on the popular charts for weeks.

Had I realized the story inspiring the statue inspiring the more recent statue, I would not have used an image from Disney's version of the original story.

Best regards

• 3 months later...