Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female Gallon of Water Every Day for a Week. Here's what happened

Author Ana Suarez describes the "benefits" of drinking a gallon of water per day.

https://www.sfgate.com/shopping/article/benefits-of-drinking-a-gallon-of-water-a-day-15853750.php?IPID=taboolaAllRR&tblci=GiAZG6Z_uMgGaawwWOBqenTLnaogc6O1qDqv_6gHcLIUxSDP2EsorMzujP-Sr7fXAQ#tblciGiAZG6Z_uMgGaawwWOBqenTLnaogc6O1qDqv_6gHcLIUxSDP2EsorMzujP-Sr7fXAQ

After describing the supposed health benefits, she continues about how many times she had to pee in 24 hours, how many times during the night, the most frequently she had to pee, needing to plan restroom breaks when going out, her family's reaction to her constant restroom needs and a time she thought she would "embarrass" herself.

She takes so much interest in her bladder function (and wants everyone to know her bladder habits) she sounds like one of us.

I've done the gallon of water in one day before. She's not exaggerating, it really is every 30ish minutes. Oftentimes I would force myself to wait even the 30 minutes. The first few glasses feel really nice going down, but after a while your body hits peak hydration and it doesn't even feel good to keep drinking that much water. I feel like Paul Newman trying to eat 50 eggs in an hour in Cool Hand Luke, I'm just forcing water down my throat. After that it's like a constant drip from my kidneys into my bladder, and even as I finish peeing I can feel my bladder starting to fill up again. Even forcing myself to wait 30 minutes between bathroom visits, I had a full bladder every time I went. It's the same principle behind Rapid Desperation- except you're doing it all. day. long.

I can't imagine doing it all day every day. I do it once every few months when I'm preparing to donate blood. (Usually the day before I have a donation appointment.) It keeps you well hydrated into the next day as well, even if you drink a normal amount the next day.

9 hours ago, skirtandtights said:

I've done the gallon of water in one day before. She's not exaggerating, it really is every 30ish minutes. Oftentimes I would force myself to wait even the 30 minutes. The first few glasses feel really nice going down, but after a while your body hits peak hydration and it doesn't even feel good to keep drinking that much water. I feel like Paul Newman trying to eat 50 eggs in an hour in Cool Hand Luke, I'm just forcing water down my throat. After that it's like a constant drip from my kidneys into my bladder, and even as I finish peeing I can feel my bladder starting to fill up again. Even forcing myself to wait 30 minutes between bathroom visits, I had a full bladder every time I went. It's the same principle behind Rapid Desperation- except you're doing it all. day. long.

I can't imagine doing it all day every day. I do it once every few months when I'm preparing to donate blood. (Usually the day before I have a donation appointment.) It keeps you well hydrated into the next day as well, even if you drink a normal amount the next day.

Also most workplaces don't offer breaks every half hour, so this would annoy your coworkers at the best, and get you in trouble with management at the worst.

7 minutes ago, Wettishfettish said:

Be careful out there, kids! You can get brain damage or even die from drinking too much water!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318619#:~:text=This can affect the brain,in severe cases%2C become fatal.

That's mostly if you go to the real extremes. A gallon paced throughout a day has no danger. Basically, don't drink more than about a liter (1/4 gal) per hour, and you're safe.

According to figures quoted in a 2013 study, the kidneys can eliminate about 20–28 liters of water a day, but they can remove no more than 0.8 to 1.0 liters every hour.

To avoid hyponatremia, it is important not to outpace the kidneys by drinking more water than they can eliminate.

The authors of the study report that hyponatremia symptoms can develop if a person drinks 3–4 liters of water in a short period, though they do not give a specific time estimate.

According to one case reportTrusted Source, soldiers developed symptoms after consuming at least 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of water per hour.

Another reportTrusted Source describes the development of hyponatremia after drinking more than 5 liters in a few hours.

Water intoxication and prolonged hyponatremia also occurredTrusted Source in an otherwise healthy 22-year-old prisoner who drank 6 liters of water in 3 hours.

Finally, according to one reportTrusted Source, a 9-year-old girl developed water intoxication after consuming 3.6 liters of water in 1–2 hours.

Bottom line: The kidneys can remove 20–28 liters of water per day, but they cannot excrete more than 0.8 to 1.0 liters per hour. Drinking more than this can be harmful.

I was wondering if you could get water poisoning (as opposed to alcohol poisoning…) from drinking a lot of beer, as that’s probably one of the most common situations in which people consume a lot of fluid. Beer is about 95% water, after all! Even so, exceeding the litre per hour threshold is unlikely even in a 10-pint session, for those who go in for that sort of thing! Then there’s the diuretic effect of the alcohol, though if your kidneys are at full output capacity then it probably matters little at that stage whether it’s booze or water you are consuming.

Apparently, though, there is a condition called “beer potomania” which is similar, seemingly driven by low sodium levels in people with a long-term high-beer diet. It doesn’t appear to be linked to one-off drinking binges, though.

Lately I've been hydrating more. Drinking more water, less coffee, less soda, and definitely not at a rediculous rate, but yeah, committing to staying hydrated is torture for me at work, because work is the one place where any time I feel the urge, I gotta go! At home, or even on the road, or the mall, I have no problems holding it like a champ.

Back in the early pandemic I fell down this rabbithole on youtube. It seemed work from home made a lot of people willing to try it with easy bathroom availability.  Lots of vlogs and stuff with mentions of desperation, contant peeing etc, usually in a comic relief sort of way.

As for the challenge itself, I really wouldn't recommend it unless you drink a lot already. I tried it one lazy Saturday and stopped about 2/3 through. That much water made me naseous. 

• 1 month later...

I tried this "gallon of water per day" a few times and failed miserably every time. I even took in calculation 20% water I get with food. Well, I managed to drink 2,9L of liquid per day, I just didn't manage to get to a bathroom fast enough every time.

I had a few real wetting accidents per day every time I tried. I just didn't manage to get from one place with a bathroom to another fast enough and peed myself while on the way. It was everything from big leaks up to a full wetting. It happened in a car, on the sidewalk, on the bus, in an elevator in my home building, in front of my flat, in the middle of the hallway in a supermarket and even in the bathroom of a supermarket itself. Not to mention while working at home. I didn't manage to get through online meetings without asking for pee break or wetting myself. It's definitely not a drinking schedule I could live with every day.