Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Favorite pokemon games - originals and hack roms

I have been a renewed avid fan of pokemon games for the past several months now, since fall of 2021. I remember playing the old pokemon games red and yellow, then sapphire. I remember having trouble and my mom having to help me with Brock in Pewter City. I loved the yellow version with the same Kanto theme and layout. The originals were the best and first. I remember trying to get Fire red version but buying sapphire version. This version had graphics which were such an overhaul and so new. But it was still pokemon and playing it was amazing. I always played mudkip in pokemon sapphire. 

Years later, after almost 20 years, I have come to enjoy pokemon again. But now I can appreciate hack roms despite being illegal. I have played a number of them. But the ones I am sticking to are neon blue version, orange gba demo version, ultra violet version, and coral version. Not only am I an avid gen 1 gamer, but I have come to love pokemon crystal, gold and crystal clear version 2.5.1 by Shcokslayer 2.0.

I wish crystal version had ampharos but this time I lucked out by getting an elekid (now electabuzz) from an egg nearby Goldenrod City. I loved this guy, as well as my meganium, poliwhirl, arcanine, fearow, hypno, raticate, haunt er, rhydon, and graveler. Before crystal, I played yellow version to win against the elite four with mid-40 level pokemon - pikachu, butter free, clefable, snorlax, prime ape, and seadra. Amazing. I once had a level 100 charizard many years ago. 

My apologies for rambling on. Please share your pokemon gaming experiences. What were your favorite moments? What are your favorite original games and hack roms? What were/are your favorite pokemon? How did you win against the gym leaders and elite four? FYI: pardon me if I don't understand past generation 3 because I only played up to gen. III. But still share any experiences you want to mention even if beyond gen. 3.

I have to admit that I kind of like Reborn. Not because of its plot, it was abysmal at first and is only semi-okayish now (after the most obvious and glaring issues with it was rectified or at least smoothed). But it does offer an interesting challenge in new field mechanics - you're basically adapting your knowledge to the new conditions this game provides, and somehow it works. The challenge is there, you're supposed to actually learn what you can and what you can't do, and - most importantly for a Pokemon game - you get rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny. These rewards are nothing game-breaking though, but it can make things easier. All in all, the game's pretty solid up until around chapter 10, then the level cap and 'mon availability becomes high enough to just steamroll things as soon as you solve the boss gimmick. The last version I've played was chapter 15, and I'm not coming back to it until it gets a full release w. But I still recommend it. Just make sure that you stay away from Rejuvenation, if it's still alive. It's pure cringefest.

It's Reborn made by 8 years old ww. The map design is much worse, the challenge is nowhere close in terms of design (winning by using unorthodox team composition vs "let's see how you win with these shitmons lolkek"), the difficulty is generally all over the place (but is actually lower than Reborn's, and not in a good way), and don't even get me started on characters. Seriously, senketsuken? The only redeeming quality it has is the shadowmon mechanics lifted from Colosseum/XD, but it just gives you mons with illegal moves, which grows old really fast.