Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

female OAB and incontinence as social problem in films, literature etc

We all know there are a lot of films, articles, books about different social problems - from poverty to sexual violence, murders and so on. 

These artworks contain very terrible scenes.

But there no films, books about overactive bladder, incontinence. Or maybe there are a small quantity of ones. Personally me don't know such artworks (Not films about other main topic just with pee scene, but artworks with incontinence as a main topic)

But incontinence is a very important problem! Especially for women. It has medical, social and other impacts. The percentage of people who suffers from this is more than from robberies or murders, or even sexual violence.

I propose to discuss why is this problem (incontinence) not shown in mass culture?

I am not sure that something like this will ever be featured in the mainstream as it's seen as a taboo and personal subject in the eyes of the majority of the people.

I know that's wrong and I sympathise with people who suffer this condition, but I can understand why it's not been covered yet.

But you never know. It might be something that's covered in the future

I agree it's largely because almost everything toilet related is considered taboo. If anything toilet related does get covered it is not taken seriously. As a person who loves toilet humor I can understand that, but as a person who has been on the receiving end of not having adequate toilets I realize how serious access to toilets is, especially for women.

So yeah I definitely wish that they would cover the women's toilet situation in popular culture and media but I think aside from people in groups like this not many people are interested in taking bathroom related matters seriously, even though it affects us all, and especially the 52% of the population that can't just whip it out and pee discreetly outside of a restroom. I would love to see a pop culture reference or pop-culture treatment of potty parity.

But hey if I ever become a famous writer under my own name I will try to pitch a movie!

4 hours ago, Kate95 said:

We all know there are a lot of films, articles, books about different social problems - from poverty to sexual violence, murders and so on. 

These artworks contain very terrible scenes.

But there no films, books about overactive bladder, incontinence. Or maybe there are a small quantity of ones. Personally me don't know such artworks (Not films about other main topic just with pee scene, but artworks with incontinence as a main topic)

But incontinence is a very important problem! Especially for women. It has medical, social and other impacts. The percentage of people who suffers from this is more than from robberies or murders, or even sexual violence.

I propose to discuss why is this problem (incontinence) not shown in mass culture?

I agree with DesperateJill that it's likely to do with the taboo and the fact that it is found to be humorous. 

In the examples you gave of social issues, poverty, sexual violence, murders, etc., there is a victim and a perpetrator (or organization/selfish individuals/people who can change to help others etc. in the case of poverty). These things are frequently discussed as being universally bad (in addition to simply being universally bad), and often involve conversations surrounding reform and punishment for perpetrators. They are also things frequently visible to people. 

If I've ever seen any incontinence in films, it's usually a symptom of some sort of serious illness or intense fear, and that illness or what's causing the fear is the main focus. Incontinence is something many associate with shame and wanting to deal with it in private where it isn't visible. 

I've noticed more and more (and I think this is largely due to YouTube and how easy it is for people to post their thoughts nowadays) that we might see more open discussion of health issues in the future. There is one YouTuber I know of who very openly talks about her incontinence in a candid way so that she can help others who might feel embarrassed and lost. 

5 hours ago, petitewonder said:

There is one YouTuber I know of who very openly talks about her incontinence in a candid way so that she can help others who might feel embarrassed and lost. 

A lot of thanks for all who had commented my topic!)

What is the name of this YouTuber?

Or can you share here the link on her channel?

it would seem cruel and not politically correct, but I personally hope talking about incontinence and such remains taboo, from an omorashi lover's point of view.

If people start talking about incontinence, not making it to the toilet in time, wetting themselves etc. without any embarrassment, the omorashi fetish is done for, it's finished. I believe this fetish is fundamentally based on shame, and this needs society to uphold the expectation of adults should only relieve themselves in toilets, keep themselves dry and not show signs of desperation, because it's "shameful" failing to do so.

It's like people want to see nudity because it's not common, right? If people are not wearing clothes or transparent clothing is the norm or something, no one would treat nudity as anything special.

We should not normalize talking about incontinence... for the sake of keeping this fetish alive.

Edited by cute_Bladder62
grammar and spelling (see edit history)

I can't recall off the top of my head the names of the books, but I've come across a fair few novels that have incontinence as a component to the plot line. I will agree in saying that they're few and far between, but they do exist! I usually come across the books by accident and have ranged in genres.

I think literature is far more forgiving to the topic versus a more visual media such as film.

@cute_Bladder62

"it would seem cruel and not politically correct, but I personally hope talking about incontinence and such remains taboo, from an omorashi lover's point of view.

If people start talking about incontinence, not making it to the toilet in time, wetting themselves etc. without any embarrassment, the omorashi fetish is done for, it's finished. I believe this fetish is fundamentally based on shame, and this needs society to uphold the expectation of adults should only relieve themselves in toilets, keep themselves dry and not show signs of desperation, because it's "shameful" failing to do so."

I have thought about this often and I do think that the taboo nature of it is partially why it exists altogether. I think that there would still be people who are turned on by omorashi even if society was different, but I think that a lot of it is the fact that yes you are expected to hold it, you are expected to control yourself, not to talk about going to the bathroom. I've often said that in a world where everyone had adequate access to toilets that I probably would have never developed the fetish the way I did.

The trade-off of course is that there are still going to be a situation where women often have to hold it out of necessity even when not desiring to do so, and I think because of the taboo nature of topic it probably is rather unlikely to change. I think that even talking about it in general or in places like this are being more open about it wouldn't necessarily take away from the shame of it. Societal conditioning runs deep.

As a person who has a fetish with this I sometimes feel conflict over the fact that I enjoy seeing women desperate to pee but also feel some degree of frustration having experienced a real practical side of that. It's a weird feeling when you are both an omorashi fan and a person dealing with the practical difficulties of needing a bathroom when you go to a website and people are talking about things like potty parity and everybody's laughing it down or telling people who don't have easy access to a bathroom that they should just suck it up and deal with it. That has certainly increased the fetish for sure but I sometimes wonder if the fetish is sort of an outgrowth of a unfair and perhaps mildly sadistic society!

Once again desperation is a morally complex fetish for sure.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:48 AM, Kate95 said:

A lot of thanks for all who had commented my topic!)

What is the name of this YouTuber?

Or can you share here the link on her channel?

*facepalm* I can't believe I didn't post the link lol

Her name is Bumble Pree and she is a college student who has MS but talks about all the ways she is managing her condition.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BumblePree/featured