Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Ban on peeing (or worse) in sea in Spanish resort.

Vigo is on the extreme north west corner of Spain where the Atlantic ocean provides the water for beach-goers. The next nearest land to the east is America. Authorities there have introduced a ban on peeing in the sea! My view, for what it’s worth, is that an attempt to ban peeing in the sea would make it likely that more people would do it, safe in the knowledge that it is impossible to police thereby making it more of a dare.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/21/swimmers-to-be-fined-645-for-urinating-in-sea-at-spanish-resort-16862900/ 

Stay wet’n’happy,

Roger.

Good luck to them lol, unless someone exposes themselves to pee in the sea, no way they'll never catch anyone, even someone being obvious about it. Another thing is, how do you prove it lol? Someone may look suspicious and like they're definitely relieving themselves, but what if they're not? I think its just to intimidate people, so they think "meh, just in case ill use the bathroom instead", they underestimate how lazy people are tho 😛

I can see everybody has reached the same conclusion I have, I mean literally how can enforce something like that short of the person obviously standing there and peeing directly into the water in full sight of anybody. The last thing we need is some type of piss Gestapo enforcing who is going to urinate in the ocean, and I don't see why anyone would want to ban that as it's completely harmless. And I'm surprised about this being a law in Spain seeing as in Spain I heard that public nudity that even sex in public and masturbation were actually legal, so for them to be uptight about people urinating in the ocean seems kind of ridiculous under the circumstances.

The law serves no purpose and it's unenforceable, so I have to label it as "stupid".  Of course there are people on this board who would love to see beachgoers desperately holding their wee, but I doubt that any of us live in Vigo.  And just where do the residents of Vigo think their toilet waste ends up?  (Hopefully treated, but often not.)