Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Source Button in Text Editor

25 minutes ago, Keita123 said:

How do you get access to it? I want to post with html tags since my posts often come out weird if I just copy pasted it from GDoc.

While the editor uses HTML formatting, inputted HTML is heavily restricted and sanitized, so the "source" option is not available for standard users as you can't really use unrestricted HTML formatting.

You can paste as plaintext using shift+ctrl+v and apply basic formatting using the editors built in tools instead, however.

BBCode is deprecated and no longer supported, and the editor does not support markdown formatting at this time unfortunately.

Document editors can be weird when copying and pasting, but there are some good MarkDown editors that should let you copy and paste into the site while preserving formatting if that's your thing. Or at the least you could export to HTML and copy and paste that.

I tend to use something like Typora myself but I think others should work well as well.

Pasting in raw HTML will not work. The way the editor works is it will preserve some HTML formatting if you copy and pastย textย that was HTML formatted.

Your browser will copy this HTML formatting when you CTRL+C it, and then will preserve some of that formatting when pasted again.

However, the amount of formatting you can preserve is restricted. Only basic styling is preserved.

Generally, raw HTML editing / posting isn't something anyone would need, and providing a source option might mislead people into thinking they have more editor flexibility than they really do.

to;dr technically modern browser editors are just heavily restricted and sanitized HTML. We no longer use bbcode or anything like that, but it's also absolutely not raw HTML support either.

Hopefully that makes sense lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wrote a simple script to setย style="color:inherit;"ย on some HTML tags. This should fix the color issue when pasting.

https://forum-post-helper.netlify.app/color-inherit.html

So you would get some HTML code from Markdown or otherwise, and paste it into the text area. After clicking the button you can copy the preview and paste it into the forum editor. I noticed however that it doesn't work when pasting only one paragraph.

• 3 weeks later...