Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

malefemale I finally got a waterproof mattress protector

I put it on over my original, non-waterproof one. And I tested it by pouring some water over it, the sheet under it is still dry.

So, for the record - though I should already know the answer to this cause it says "waterproof" but I want to make sure I don't stain the mattress - I could lay on any mattress that says "waterproof" with a full bladder and wet myself, and not a drop of pee will soak through onto the mattress below, and anything under the mattress protector will stay completely dry and un-stained. Correct?

If so, I'm going to have a lot of fun with this, including testing to see if I can actually wet the bed while asleep if I drink enough before bed. And sometimes if I really need to pee after waking up... Also if there's a really loud thunderstorm I can pretend I'm doing a fear wetting. Tonight I plan to drink a lot and then go to bed. And if I have to pee before I fall asleep, I'll either try to hold it or let it all out.

One more question: Will peeing while laying down enough times make it easier to accidentally wet the bed? (Hoping the answer is no because if I go to a hotel or relatives' house I don't want to wet the bed there)

34 minutes ago, Zayralius said:

If you just pee while laying down, but not while you are asleep, there should be no problem. If you pee and then fall asleep it could be otherwise, because you sugest your body that peeing and sleeping (especially wet) are somewhat connected. Doing it once or twice and then give it some recovery time there should be no problem, but don't do it too much.

How much recovery time would you recommend? And is this peeing and then falling asleep/peeing while asleep, or peeing after I wake up in the morning?

(Though to be fair I was already planning on not doing it a whole lot as I would have to run the washing machine twice each time, once for waterproof and once for the rest of the sheets and my wet pajamas. Also tonight my "drink a whole lot before bed" is mainly to test to see if I am capable of peeing while asleep and how much I had to fear it when I didn't have waterproof protection, and from there, either restricting it to waking up really needing to pee - and I still plan on wetting in the bathtub like usual - or when I hear really loud thunder)

Wetting the bed while conscious a lot of times will probably teach your body that the bed is fine to pee in, just like how peeing in the ocean teaches your body that its fine to pee in swimwear (part of the reason why i legit cannot hold it at the beach), habit makes everything, ever wonder why your need to pee gets worse the closer you get to the bathroom? its cause your body knows where you're going 😛 Not sure if the habit is transferred over when you're asleep tho, it doesnt make sense for it to do it in a way, most people pee while sitting but falling asleep while sitting wont make you wet yourself just because you're sitting, think its more to do with the location you teach your body thats its okay to pee in, might depend on the person tho

6 hours ago, The Dark Wolf said:

Oh, and I can confirm I cannot get to sleep when wet. (I was hoping to get to sleep before my drinks hit me. At least the mattress cover did its job)

Im the opposite haha, sleeping while wet is actually kinda comforting, specially if its still warm

4 hours ago, Stinky Pikachu said:

Wetting the bed while conscious a lot of times will probably teach your body that the bed is fine to pee in, just like how peeing in the ocean teaches your body that its fine to pee in swimwear (part of the reason why i legit cannot hold it at the beach), habit makes everything, ever wonder why your need to pee gets worse the closer you get to the bathroom? its cause your body knows where you're going 😛 Not sure if the habit is transferred over when you're asleep tho, it doesnt make sense for it to do it in a way, most people pee while sitting but falling asleep while sitting wont make you wet yourself just because you're sitting, think its more to do with the location you teach your body thats its okay to pee in, might depend on the person tho

Yeah, that is why I was asking this. I usually do my wettings while sitting in the empty bathtub, and sometimes if I really need to go (though never for my morning pee, so my desperation levels have to be pretty high for this to happen) it just starts coming out. Of course I can't think of any situation where I will be sitting in the bathtub while wearing pants, shorts, or underwear while really needing to pee, other than when I am planning a wetting, so it's not a threat, and if I really wanted to I could probably hold it. But that's an example of how my body knows that sitting in the bathtub while wearing something is the time to pee.

A few times I would be going on a long drive and put protection on my seat. The plan was, in case something unexpected happens and I can't hold it, but a few times I would deliberately wet myself, and I noticed it is actually very hard for me to pee while sitting in a car seat. And after like two or three wettings I decided to stop because, if it's hard to deliberately pee while sitting in a car, then it would be hard to accidentally do so too if I'm on a roadtrip with someone else, and I want to keep it that way, and not teach my body that sitting in the car is the time to pee. (Though one time I stopped at a secluded side road, got out of my car, wet my shorts, and then got back in. That way I didn't pee in the car)

4 hours ago, MaleOmoFan94 said:

I don't have a waterproof protector yet, but I would like to buy one. Can you tell all of us who don't have them where you bought yours and what brand it is? I've looked online, but many of the ones I looked at had bad reviews. Also, let us know how yours holds up. I hope you don't have any problems with it, definitely keep us updated.

The brand is Mainstays and I got it at Walmart.

I drank an alcoholic beverage, a cup of tea, and at least three glasses of water before going to bed. So I really had to pee and couldn't get to sleep, and eventually I peed full force for about half a minute. I could feel the pee pooling around my butt. The pajama shorts I was wearing were completely soaked, there wasn't a single dry spot on them, my legs were pretty wet as well, and my mattress protector and the sheet that was on over it, were very wet. Long story short, there was a lot of pee and a lot of wetness. And when I took the mattress protector off to wash it and the rest of the sheets, everything underneath was completely dry. Not a drop of pee got through.

Tip for drying it: Set the dryer on low temperature setting, and as soon as it is finished drying, take it out, otherwise the heat of it sitting inside the dryer without moving could melt it. And for washing it, obviously use waterproof setting on your washing machine.

1 hour ago, The Dark Wolf said:

Yeah, that is why I was asking this. I usually do my wettings while sitting in the empty bathtub, and sometimes if I really need to go (though never for my morning pee, so my desperation levels have to be pretty high for this to happen) it just starts coming out. Of course I can't think of any situation where I will be sitting in the bathtub while wearing pants, shorts, or underwear while really needing to pee, other than when I am planning a wetting, so it's not a threat, and if I really wanted to I could probably hold it. But that's an example of how my body knows that sitting in the bathtub while wearing something is the time to pee.

A few times I would be going on a long drive and put protection on my seat. The plan was, in case something unexpected happens and I can't hold it, but a few times I would deliberately wet myself, and I noticed it is actually very hard for me to pee while sitting in a car seat. And after like two or three wettings I decided to stop because, if it's hard to deliberately pee while sitting in a car, then it would be hard to accidentally do so too if I'm on a roadtrip with someone else, and I want to keep it that way, and not teach my body that sitting in the car is the time to pee. (Though one time I stopped at a secluded side road, got out of my car, wet my shorts, and then got back in. That way I didn't pee in the car)

The brand is Mainstays and I got it at Walmart.

I drank an alcoholic beverage, a cup of tea, and at least three glasses of water before going to bed. So I really had to pee and couldn't get to sleep, and eventually I peed full force for about half a minute. I could feel the pee pooling around my butt. The pajama shorts I was wearing were completely soaked, there wasn't a single dry spot on them, my legs were pretty wet as well, and my mattress protector and the sheet that was on over it, were very wet. Long story short, there was a lot of pee and a lot of wetness. And when I took the mattress protector off to wash it and the rest of the sheets, everything underneath was completely dry. Not a drop of pee got through.

Tip for drying it: Set the dryer on low temperature setting, and as soon as it is finished drying, take it out, otherwise the heat of it sitting inside the dryer without moving could melt it. And for washing it, obviously use waterproof setting on your washing machine.

That sounds good, is the protector cloth with a waterproof backing? Also, I'm not sure if my washer has a waterproof setting, if it doesn't do you think a delicate or warm setting instead of a hot setting would work? As for drying it, would air drying work? If I get one like yours I want to make it last as long as I can and air drying it might make it last longer.

43 minutes ago, MaleOmoFan94 said:

That sounds good, is the protector cloth with a waterproof backing? Also, I'm not sure if my washer has a waterproof setting, if it doesn't do you think a delicate or warm setting instead of a hot setting would work? As for drying it, would air drying work? If I get one like yours I want to make it last as long as I can and air drying it might make it last longer.

I think the lower layer of it is the waterproof one and the top layer can absorb the wetness.

Check your washing machine's warnings and stuff to see if it says whether you shouldn't wash waterproof stuff in there. If it doesn't say it, maybe google your type of washer and if and how it can wash waterproof stuff. As for drying, air dry didn't seem to want to get it super dry. But many sites said to use a Low setting for temperature on the dryer, after air drying two or three times I dried it in there and it worked. If you use a low setting and remove it immediately after it's done, I think it should be fine. Maybe your dryer is better at air drying than mine, you can try it first and if it doesn't dry it enough, try regular dry on Low. Or you could just hang them up to dry (but be careful the pegs don't poke holes in it), though it will be dripping a bit taking it out of the washer, unlike other stuff (maybe air drying once first will reduce the dripping level).

20 hours ago, MaleOmoFan94 said:

I’ve been satisfied with the mattress protector below.  Being all vinyl I simply sponge down and towel dry in place when it gets wet.  On the downside, being vinyl the protectors will get stiff and crack in time (maybe two years).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M5WIMG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

As always, loads of great advice from our friends above. Another source of decent waterproof cover is IKEA, if you are near one… they hold up pretty well. 

My advice for the plastic backed waterproof sheets is to handle with extraordinary care. The waterproof layers are very thin, and very fragile. As mentioned in an earlier post, they will all crack over time, but they easily tear, or puncture also.. usually tiny holes, that you might not even see so well, but the moisture will find its way through without too much bother, and park itself on your otherwise beautifully clean mattress. Laundry should be done with soft items only (no zippered garments!!) and drying on low temperature only… air dry could take a while and just be careful if hanging up, that it doesn’t sag too much under its wet weight, and over stretch the waterproof back sheet.

A more durable option could be one of these waterproof pet throws, that now come in all shapes and sizes and colours and patterns. Many are soft and fluffy and indeed offer a waterproof barrier. These are just more durable also. They are quite pricy, but likely worth it in the long run.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, The Dark Wolf said:

So, for the record - though I should already know the answer to this cause it says "waterproof" but I want to make sure I don't stain the mattress - I could lay on any mattress that says "waterproof" with a full bladder and wet myself, and not a drop of pee will soak through onto the mattress below, and anything under the mattress protector will stay completely dry and un-stained. Correct?

Correct, but!

I've found they're not 100% reliable over time. 

I have two of them layered on my bed with a quilted layer between them.  If the top one leaks, the quilt soaks it up and the bottom one stops it.  Redundancy.

As far as that goes, I pee the bed maybe once or twice a month, and it is always a bursting-to-empty affair, never diapered.

59 minutes ago, Legends said:

@The Dark Wolf where can i get one so i dont have to clean as much

I found them at Walmart.

1 hour ago, SoggyShorts said:

Correct, but!

I've found they're not 100% reliable over time. 

I have two of them layered on my bed with a quilted layer between them.  If the top one leaks, the quilt soaks it up and the bottom one stops it.  Redundancy.

As far as that goes, I pee the bed maybe once or twice a month, and it is always a bursting-to-empty affair, never diapered.

About how long, or how many washes, do you think until it might start leaking?

Also I still have my non-waterproof cover underneath it (but I don't know if that will sufficiently stop any leaks from staining the mattress).

Oh, and last night I did a more successful test to see if I am capable of peeing in my sleep. I did have to run to the bathroom before falling asleep but I drank a lot of water after that. I remember dreaming twice, and needing to pee in between both dreams (and during the second dream), but I woke up dry both times (aside from some sweat but I already know how wet it gets when I pee in the bed and it wasn't anywhere close to that).

28 minutes ago, SoggyShorts said:

Ah, you know, it's a great and probably relevant question, but I haven't actually noted when I've changed it.  I just keep a spare one in the package in the dresser drawer for when one fails. 

I just don't want it to fail before I decide I've had my fun and get rid of it or otherwise replace it. Unless there is an easy way of removing stains from mattresses (in case I either get a new bed or move, in which case someone will notice any pee stains if they are there)

Any estimates?

14 hours ago, The Dark Wolf said:

I just don't want it to fail before I decide I've had my fun and get rid of it or otherwise replace it. Unless there is an easy way of removing stains from mattresses (in case I either get a new bed or move, in which case someone will notice any pee stains if they are there)

Any estimates?

Sorry, dude, I got nothin'.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:23 PM, WBxx said:

I’ve been satisfied with the mattress protector below.  Being all vinyl I simply sponge down and towel dry in place when it gets wet.  On the downside, being vinyl the protectors will get stiff and crack in time (maybe two years).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M5WIMG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

They might last longer if the plastic protector had a fabric pad over it. Then the washable pad would soak a good amount of liquid and the plastic sheet would hopefully not get quite as wet.

Something like this could be an option for a second layer… They are likely more durable, and they are washable.  If you are worried about leaking onto mattress, I’d go with a traditional ‘waterproof’ cover over entire mattress, and then something like this product over the top, under where you are laying. 

https://www.amazon.com/Vive-Washable-Incontinence-Bed-Pad/dp/B00ZZ00GCM/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1APZNVKYX700W&keywords=Rubber%2Bmattress%2Bprotector&qid=1655836637&sprefix=rubber%2Bmattress%2Bprotector%2Caps%2C264&sr=8-24&th=1

(there are several similar options…)

hopefully two layers will hold! 

good luck!

Well, there is fabric on top of a "thermoplastic polyurethane laminate" layer on the bottom.

This morning I wet my pajama shorts while laying in bed again, it still kept everything underneath dry. (And still took a bit of effort to pee, which is good as my body has not yet recognized the bed as a place to pee, so I might reserve next one for a thunderstorm)