Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Any students? What helps you study?

Perhaps make a checklist or schedule of what you need to get done. Make sure to check off each task as you do it. After completing work, take a break, walk about, get a treat/snack. But then return and focus on the next bit. If you are able, set a time-budget for each task. 

Music could help you focus. Perhaps not sing-along songs, but just more background music. Just so you have something to keep you company. 

if you struggle to focus due to other reasons (anxiety/stress etc..) you might consider trying to listen to some ASMR (thousands of videos on YouTube). If you don’t know it, it is basically just people making calm soothing sounds, or talking quietly/ whispering to the camera. It is really quite odd, but I do find it strangely relaxing. 

good luck!

andrew

Hej,

A checklist is a really good idea. I set often also goals and have little rewards for reaching them.

Music works for me also pretty good. The only condition for me is, that the language of the song and the language I'm working in, are not the same. Because then it's easier to tube out the lyrics.

And lastly what may seem a bit strange, but I talk to myself while studying or writing essays 😄 It really is strange but it helps me a lot^^

Good luck and don't forget to take breaks.

Sven

Not currently a student, but when I studied, or was working on a machine to learn (namely computers), I listened to some music to keep my mind on track. Helps me focus.

A lot of people also struggle with staying focused if their workspace, be it their desk or work room, is disorganized and messy. 

Other than that, routine. Be aware of when your mind wanders. If you can't keep your focus, take a break and try again later. Maybe have a shower that may or may not be in your pants to relax.

Not really a student any more. But when I was in the hell that is school I usually always listened to music. Either on the radio or on YouTube. Music always seemed to help me through my homework and everything. I still listen to music when cleaning. Sometimes it helps. Just try to avoid head banging or air instruments.        

I guess I was lucky in the fact that I was always a good student despite the fact that I was easily distracted and a huge procrastinator. Luckily I tend to remember and retain everything that I hear, so simply listening to the lesson in class I will usually remember what I learned without having to repeatedly study it. At most right before class I would study and just read over my notes so that they would be fresh in my mind before a test and I never really had any problems. If I don't understand something the first time studying it generally doesn't help me in the long run.

Even now I have to admit I'm a terrible procrastinator even when it's something I actually want to do. Like I have nearly 2 dozen things I need to get around to reading editing and publishing both under my pseudonyms and my real name (including three omorashi novels) and I keep thinking of constant excuses not to do that. I ended up publishing and reading and editing like three of them last month and then I got sick and now I still haven't gotten around to doing it.

Back when I was in high school and college if I had weeks to do a report I would do all of the reading and write the essay and do basically the whole project like literally the night before staying up all night to finish it rather than working on it gradually. Somehow amazingly I got good grades though, so maybe I actually do work good under pressure, under pressure of a full bladder in regards to my job outdoors anyway LOL.

Music playlists, nothing with vocals, at least not in a language you speak. Lyrics can hijack your brain. Ace Combat is good for this, as are various other video game soundtracks.

If you do have ADHD, formal diagnosis or informal self-diagnosis, stimulants help. If you can't get a prescription for something stronger, coffee and soda are ubiquitous in the modern world. (Assuming you don't have a heart condition or diabetes or something else that keeps you from partaking.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...