Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

How do I get people to commission me for stuff? Please, please read.

I'm reaching the end of my rope here, you guys. I don't have a steady income. I'm a freelancer, which means I rely entirely on other people buying things from me to keep from being homeless. My parents won't take me back if I can't pay rent and they won't help me financially either. But nothing I do or say works.

I know people can make a living freelancing. I know it's possible to earn $1k/month or even more solely on Patreon. So what do I have to do to get people to bite? I know I'm a talented writer, but people on here don't seem willing to pay for writing and certainly not mine, which is fine. I know I'm not a great artist, but I can make it clear that I'm drawing a chick pissing herself, which I feel like that's the whole point of this site, no? Pee, and girls? I'm not the worst artist I've seen on here, either, but I've made post after post and I offer what I think are really reasonable prices and no one wants anything from me, so just tell me what the hell would make you commission something, anything, from me. I'm terrified, I don't want to lose my apartment. I don't want to be homeless and starving. 

I know I can deliver things that I get paid for. I get commissioned regularly from two people on here for writing, but it's not enough, and with prices going up on everything it's not even enough just to cover my monthly grocery bill anymore. I don't know how else to reach you guys. I can't seem to get taken seriously no matter what I say or do and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. Please, just, give me something. Advice. References. Preferably I'd love for people to see this and start DM'ing me for actual commissions, but in lieu of that just help me. And please, please, don't downvote this post or give it a laugh reaction, because that's happened several times now and it's so rude and pointless. Everyone needs money; don't act like you don't get it. 

Have you considered that there's just not enough willing to pay clientele here to make a consistent living out of it? I haven't heard of anyone on this website making a living out of writing commissions, and many freelancers outside of this website can't fully live off commissions either. Beside that, people who make real living on Patreon, Onlyfans etc. are the very top few percents, who typically offer something quite unique that has high demand and low supply, for most of the creators it's just a small extra money. I remember reading a blog of one fetish Onlyfans model, she said she makes about $1300-1500/mo there, but she's consistently at least in top-2%. What means out of 50 random models there, all trying their best to make awesome videos and photosets to get subscribers, she's consistently the #1 who beats other 49. That's really hard to achieve, in writing, drawing or making videos.

There's several people on this site who offer very well made commissioned writings, drawings and even holding webcam shows, so paying clientele (which is not huge to begin with, because like you said - cost of living is rising, so less and less people can afford to drop extra money on stories or drawings) is stretched among them all.

I see you creating topics about wanting commissions all the time on omorashi.org, and I think everyone else sees them as well, so I'm sorry to rain on your parade but if it doesn't blow as much as you wish after months of trying, maybe it's just not a viable business plan for you to make a living out of commissions here? I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but maybe it's better to diversify your income, at least for the near future, and try to do some paid writing jobs for other places (I don't mean omorashi only), or even better mix some writing income with a different part time job?

I freelance write in real life completely unrelated to omo. However it’s extra income and not bread and butter because the money just isn’t reliable or consistent. Unfortunately however amazing you are as a writer (in some sites I write for I am paid more than double the other writers and I have done a lot of work for well known sites too) it’s a never ending struggle as no sooner have you had one piece accepted your have to immediately start another. 
If you require regular income to meet basic needs like remt, food etc unfortunately the only guarantee of getting this is looking for other sources that are reliable and consistent like paid employment at least for the meantime so you can survive. 

Honestly, and I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I can't see anyone on a site like this commissioning someone to create anything for them. Its a fetish forum, and there are thousands of people with similar interests. People write stories, and create fictions, for free and because it turns them on. I chat to many people in this site, and I have created stories based on their ideas, because they excite me, and I enjoy doing it. Now, there may be some, who don't have a talent for writing, or who have really niche ideas, who are willing to pay, and in those cases, then you are perfect for them, but I don't see that ever being enough to sustain a regular income. 

I can't pretend to be anything like an expert on freelance writing, and I have no idea how viable it is to make a living from, but I would wager a bet theta there are VERY few, if any at all, who make a living purely from writing or creating fetish material. I completely understand your conundrum, and as you say prices are going up for everyone, but sadly, that makes it even less likely for people to spend on something like this, in my opinion. I wish you all the best, I honestly do, but genuinely, I feel you would be better off exploring different avenues to get your writing or your artwork picked up.

17 hours ago, SpaceWonderer said:

Have you considered that there's just not enough willing to pay clientele here to make a consistent living out of it? I haven't heard of anyone on this website making a living out of writing commissions, and many freelancers outside of this website can't fully live off commissions either. Beside that, people who make real living on Patreon, Onlyfans etc. are the very top few percents, who typically offer something quite unique that has high demand and low supply, for most of the creators it's just a small extra money. I remember reading a blog of one fetish Onlyfans model, she said she makes about $1300-1500/mo there, but she's consistently at least in top-2%. What means out of 50 random models there, all trying their best to make awesome videos and photosets to get subscribers, she's consistently the #1 who beats other 49. That's really hard to achieve, in writing, drawing or making videos.

There's several people on this site who offer very well made commissioned writings, drawings and even holding webcam shows, so paying clientele (which is not huge to begin with, because like you said - cost of living is rising, so less and less people can afford to drop extra money on stories or drawings) is stretched among them all.

I see you creating topics about wanting commissions all the time on omorashi.org, and I think everyone else sees them as well, so I'm sorry to rain on your parade but if it doesn't blow as much as you wish after months of trying, maybe it's just not a viable business plan for you to make a living out of commissions here? I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but maybe it's better to diversify your income, at least for the near future, and try to do some paid writing jobs for other places (I don't mean omorashi only), or even better mix some writing income with a different part time job?

No, dw about it, I appreciate the honesty! I do wonder how that OF model who makes $1.3k a month does it, though. Like, what sort of fetish work does she do, do you know? Because when I started thinking about doing this stuff as a career I kind of assumed that omorashi being such a niche fetish meant that there would be more people willing to pay for content. Not because there are so many people who are into it, but because there are so few that there would be more willing to pay to see it. If that makes sense. 

I do try and promote my writing outside of this site, it's just that I have the same exact issue everywhere else. I have been looking at part-time work but there's very little out there that I'm finding and nothing ever seems doable -- either the company doesn't respond to my application, or it turns out to be a scam. 

Tbh I've been wondering if anyone saw my commission posts on here so to hear you say it is a little bit embarrassing, ngl, lol. 

9 hours ago, Mbgpeelover said:

I freelance write in real life completely unrelated to omo. However it’s extra income and not bread and butter because the money just isn’t reliable or consistent. Unfortunately however amazing you are as a writer (in some sites I write for I am paid more than double the other writers and I have done a lot of work for well known sites too) it’s a never ending struggle as no sooner have you had one piece accepted your have to immediately start another. 
If you require regular income to meet basic needs like remt, food etc unfortunately the only guarantee of getting this is looking for other sources that are reliable and consistent like paid employment at least for the meantime so you can survive. 

Well, just out of curiosity, where else do you write and how do you manage to get clientele? If you want you can DM me about it; I'm just always looking for legitimate sites as most of the ones I've found turn out to be nothing but scams. 

9 hours ago, pguy69 said:

Honestly, and I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I can't see anyone on a site like this commissioning someone to create anything for them. Its a fetish forum, and there are thousands of people with similar interests. People write stories, and create fictions, for free and because it turns them on. I chat to many people in this site, and I have created stories based on their ideas, because they excite me, and I enjoy doing it. Now, there may be some, who don't have a talent for writing, or who have really niche ideas, who are willing to pay, and in those cases, then you are perfect for them, but I don't see that ever being enough to sustain a regular income. 

I can't pretend to be anything like an expert on freelance writing, and I have no idea how viable it is to make a living from, but I would wager a bet theta there are VERY few, if any at all, who make a living purely from writing or creating fetish material. I completely understand your conundrum, and as you say prices are going up for everyone, but sadly, that makes it even less likely for people to spend on something like this, in my opinion. I wish you all the best, I honestly do, but genuinely, I feel you would be better off exploring different avenues to get your writing or your artwork picked up.

No, it's all good, my dude! I need honesty. 

I am trying very hard to find other sites with people who will pay for my writing and/or art. The problem, as I said to someone else in this thread, is that they all turn out to be scams, or I just never get noticed. 

In answer to  who I write for I don’t feel I can say as I need my real life to stay anonymous on here for privacy but it isn’t fiction I write in real life and I found the sites as I followed them for years before finally submitting. I also spent years building up my reputation via social media (Facebook page, Twitter profile etc) and writing for free to build up support. It didn’t just happen unfortunately. 
i was first published in my teens though which did help. 

6 hours ago, astralis said:

No, dw about it, I appreciate the honesty! I do wonder how that OF model who makes $1.3k a month does it, though. Like, what sort of fetish work does she do, do you know?

Yes, in her blog she was writing that pretty much she does most things other successful OF models do. Recording erotic/fetish/bdsm videos, photosets, doing private fetish webcam shows with fans, recording video customs, actively interacting with her subscribers in DMs etc. She mentioned that to get that amount of money she spends several hours a day interacting with her fans or creating content, so it's a hard work, and it's not always pleasant because there's plenty of jerks around just like everywhere. She also has accounts on Fetlife and other fetish sites where she actively promotes her work, so she doesn't stick to one fetish or one website and covers a broad umbrella of both. Just keep in mind, that average Onlyfans monthly income of models is only about $180 (and that's average, not lowest, so you still have to beat half of the models there to make $180), so she has to stay in top-2% of models to make as much as she does.

6 hours ago, astralis said:

Because when I started thinking about doing this stuff as a career I kind of assumed that omorashi being such a niche fetish meant that there would be more people willing to pay for content. Not because there are so many people who are into it, but because there are so few that there would be more willing to pay to see it.

It sounds logical but I think it's a common misconception. There's no lack of omorashi content in general. Just think, there's a few decently large forums dedicated to omorashi, together they deliver at least a few fictional stories a day, at least a few of real life experiences, some drawing and several omorashi videos from all over the internet. Each of us has at least a few free writers we favorite and waiting for their new stories with anticipation. Can't find the story you like? Well, try roleplaying - I got lots of my fantasies in writing just by roleplaying with people who have similar interests. There's also story/art exchange, like I'll write story you want if you'll write a story I want. See - all these things are free and don't cost a penny.
There's many people on Twitter and other networks offering free or paid content all the time.
Now if we talk about paid content, then there's several professional high quality studios that deliver omorashi videos/photos - Bound2Burst, Lovewetting, INeed2pee etc. There's also many amateur models offering omorashi audio or video (pre-recorded or customs) - Evangelynex, Frankie and dozens of random models from MV, PH etc.
There's also quite several talented artists and writers offering their omorashi commissions on this or other websites. I can keep going on.

So while omorashi is kind of niche fetish if we compare it to let's say spanking or rope play, there's no lack of content in general imo. There's more content being delivered daily for free than most people would have time to watch/read. And there's quite a few options of paid content as well. I don't feel like this market is oversaturated, but the offer of commissions is certainly generous, and paying clientele is stretched somewhat thin across them. I don't say that I never pay for the content, but I tend to pay only occasionally and for very specific things.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you in anything, but I'm offering a perspective from the POV of consumer, not creator. From my pov, I don't see the lack of content creators in omorashi scene (beyond loads of free content people share just because they enjoy making it, not because they want it to be their job), and tbh if I'd want to pay for custom story or video right now, I would have to think who to ask about it first, because there's at least several good names come to my mind right away to pick from. If you really want to be in this business, I'd suggest to study your competition and market a little to have a better vision of what you're getting into.

7 hours ago, SpaceWonderer said:

Yes, in her blog she was writing that pretty much she does most things other successful OF models do. Recording erotic/fetish/bdsm videos, photosets, doing private fetish webcam shows with fans, recording video customs, actively interacting with her subscribers in DMs etc. She mentioned that to get that amount of money she spends several hours a day interacting with her fans or creating content, so it's a hard work, and it's not always pleasant because there's plenty of jerks around just like everywhere. She also has accounts on Fetlife and other fetish sites where she actively promotes her work, so she doesn't stick to one fetish or one website and covers a broad umbrella of both. Just keep in mind, that average Onlyfans monthly income of models is only about $180 (and that's average, not lowest, so you still have to beat half of the models there to make $180), so she has to stay in top-2% of models to make as much as she does.

It sounds logical but I think it's a common misconception. There's no lack of omorashi content in general. Just think, there's a few decently large forums dedicated to omorashi, together they deliver at least a few fictional stories a day, at least a few of real life experiences, some drawing and several omorashi videos from all over the internet. Each of us has at least a few free writers we favorite and waiting for their new stories with anticipation. Can't find the story you like? Well, try roleplaying - I got lots of my fantasies in writing just by roleplaying with people who have similar interests. There's also story/art exchange, like I'll write story you want if you'll write a story I want. See - all these things are free and don't cost a penny.
There's many people on Twitter and other networks offering free or paid content all the time.
Now if we talk about paid content, then there's several professional high quality studios that deliver omorashi videos/photos - Bound2Burst, Lovewetting, INeed2pee etc. There's also many amateur models offering omorashi audio or video (pre-recorded or customs) - Evangelynex, Frankie and dozens of random models from MV, PH etc.
There's also quite several talented artists and writers offering their omorashi commissions on this or other websites. I can keep going on.

So while omorashi is kind of niche fetish if we compare it to let's say spanking or rope play, there's no lack of content in general imo. There's more content being delivered daily for free than most people would have time to watch/read. And there's quite a few options of paid content as well. I don't feel like this market is oversaturated, but the offer of commissions is certainly generous, and paying clientele is stretched somewhat thin across them. I don't say that I never pay for the content, but I tend to pay only occasionally and for very specific things.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you in anything, but I'm offering a perspective from the POV of consumer, not creator. From my pov, I don't see the lack of content creators in omorashi scene (beyond loads of free content people share just because they enjoy making it, not because they want it to be their job), and tbh if I'd want to pay for custom story or video right now, I would have to think who to ask about it first, because there's at least several good names come to my mind right away to pick from. If you really want to be in this business, I'd suggest to study your competition and market a little to have a better vision of what you're getting into.

i def appreciate the advice and candidness, friend. i feel like my personal understanding of what “marketing” entails is not what it actually is, because from my perspective i have been marketing just by posting my rates and examples of my work. but it seems like it means more than that? and that in general, this is a very difficult thing to get into. 

1 hour ago, astralis said:

i def appreciate the advice and candidness, friend. i feel like my personal understanding of what “marketing” entails is not what it actually is, because from my perspective i have been marketing just by posting my rates and examples of my work. but it seems like it means more than that?

I mean it is a variant of marketing, and it works to a certain extent - you said you already have a couple of regular customers what is pretty good. But if your goal is to make a living income out of this, then I feel like maybe you didn't realize that posting rates and work samples on this website is just a little fraction of work you will have to do trying to get there. If it would be that easy, I'd quit my daytime job long time ago to become an omorashi freelancer lol.

1 hour ago, SpaceWonderer said:

then I feel like maybe you didn't realize that posting rates and work samples on this website is just a little fraction of work you will have to do trying to get there

I clearly didn't, lol. Do you mean I should keep posting rates and samples on other sites as well like Reddit, etc.? Because I do that, too. 

12 minutes ago, astralis said:

I clearly didn't, lol. Do you mean I should keep posting rates and samples on other sites as well like Reddit, etc.? Because I do that, too. 

You can keep doing that, but just posting rates and samples is unlikely going to get you to living income imo. I don't have a business plan I can give you, and likely nobody here will do it either. I'd suggest with my best intent that you do a research and further educate yourself in the freelance writers industry. If you want to live off it, it's a real job, not a side kick, and will require many hours of hard work on your end before you may achieve a success. And by work I mean not just copy-pasting your ads around internet.
Maybe you can start with resources from reputable websites like "How To Become a Freelance Writer: A Guide To Getting Started" or this "How to Become a Freelance Writer", and hopefully it will give you some ideas where you need to start your long journey.

Edited by SpaceWonderer (see edit history)
9 hours ago, GrimmRetails said:

I'm not disparaging your writing but there is a massive difference between words on a piece of paper and a human being doing stuff on camera.

you are kind of disparaging my writing here but it’s okay, i don’t take it personally. not everyone has a vivid enough imagination while reading to fully immerse themselves in a story but anyone can watch a video and see what’s going on

2 hours ago, astralis said:

you are kind of disparaging my writing here but it’s okay, i don’t take it personally.

No, I literally am not because I have never read your stuff and therefore I have no basis to rate the quality of your work. But your chosen medium is competing with the visual arts. 

Fetish based writing use to be the only option I had growing up. Now I can download my favorite videos on my phone, that include a real person, doing real bodily functions, and I can get my rocks off anywhere and anytime on that as opposed to having to scroll through paragraphs of plot to get to the part I get off on. 

Even static visual images work better for me than staring at a screen trying to read. 

Sure, I have a great imagination. But I can make up my own stories in my head or even write my own stuff. And as others have pointed out there is a ton of free stuff out there.

That's reality. 

not everyone has a vivid enough imagination while reading to fully immerse themselves in a story but anyone can watch a video and see what’s going on

You're kind of insulting potential readers here. You may not realize it but this is not the attitude you want to present if you're trying to encourage people to look at your stuff. 

Your best most realistic bet would be to find a job that pays some bills and puts food in your belly so you can be in a better position to buckle down on your creative projects.

37 minutes ago, GrimmRetails said:

No, I literally am not

you are, though. you’re making a blanket statement about writing not being as stimulating as video. thats disparaging to all writers of any content. i am a writer. therefore. 

38 minutes ago, GrimmRetails said:

But your chosen medium is competing with the visual arts. 

i am pretty sure i did mention in this post that i’m also happy to draw comics or single images and no one, including you, is interested in that either, so idk what to tell you here. 

40 minutes ago, GrimmRetails said:

Now I can download my favorite videos on my phone, that include a real person, doing real bodily functions, and I can get my rocks off anywhere and anytime on that as opposed to having to scroll through paragraphs of plot to get to the part I get off on.

incredible. amazing. still doesn’t change the fact that i’m not filming myself doing this shit and even if i was, there’s zero guarantee my videos would be visible under every other one that’s already posted. 

42 minutes ago, GrimmRetails said:

That's reality.

ok calm down lmao

43 minutes ago, GrimmRetails said:

You're kind of insulting potential readers here. You may not realize it but this is not the attitude you want to present if you're trying to encourage people to look at your stuff.

you sound exactly like the lady i do contract work for. and i’m done trying to encourage anything on this site, tbh. i’m not insulting any “potential readers”. if someone wants to read a story abt a fetish w the intent of getting off to it they’re not gonna come at it from your angle. they’re gonna be fine w taking extra time to read, even just scroll to the juicy bits, etc. all the stuff you’re not interested in doing anymore bc visual porn. 

45 minutes ago, GrimmRetails said:

Your best most realistic bet would be to find a job that pays some bills and puts food in your belly so you can be in a better position to buckle down on your creative projects.

ok you’re either my mom, my therapist, or my contract lady, and considering this site i don’t know which would be worst. (betting on my mom, tho. ugh lol.) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, astralis said:

ok you’re either my mom, my therapist, or my contract lady, and considering this site i don’t know which would be worst. (betting on my mom, tho. ugh lol.)

I believe he´s just trying to be realistic. Is not about lecturing anyone. Some people manage to work as full time freelancers and be quite successful, but all freelancers (not only artists, but any other professions) sometimes can have "holes of income" in their contracts. If this happens, It is not a sin to consider to get a regular job to get and secure fee every month for a while. It is also possible to have another freelance job as well. I personally have a job that ensures me to pay the rent, and then I let my freelance comissions come and go. It also allows me to take comissions on my own terms. I mean I have the freedom to reject a comission or a customer if I don´t like the project or I believe the payment offered is not worth enough. So I only do Illustrations when I enjoy doing it and I considers I´m properly paid for it.

i am pretty sure i did mention in this post that i’m also happy to draw comics or single images and no one, including you, is interested in that either, so idk what to tell you here. 

Where can we find samples of your comics or illustrations? I´m an illustrator myself, and I´ll be glad to take a look and tell you my  opinion and suggestions about your visual stuff.

Edited by OmutsuSamaArt
misspelling (see edit history)

you are, though. you’re making a blanket statement about writing not being as stimulating as video. thats disparaging to all writers of any content. i am a writer. therefore. 

Well, not neccesarily disparaging. Is just facing a couple of facts:
-For all I know, fetishes like Omo or ABDL has a bigger rate of male consumers. And men has more attraction for visual staff regarding fetishes, kinky and sexual staff. So is not a general rule about writing, but I believe it applies to kinky, fetish, porn genres.
-Video staff has a bigger payment because your personal exposure is bigger. Illustrators and writers like you and me can have a public profile and/or hide theirselves under a fiction nickname when they produce kinky stuff, unless they want the otherway. In a video you expose yourself publicly. And specifically in any video containing kinky/sexual scenes you expose yourself in a high level. Not everybody can deal with that. I never did it personally, and I don´t know if I will be confortable on doing it. Being a kinky/pornstar requires a certain personality that not all of us can have. 

BTW Have you tried yourself on writing some staff outside the fetish world?

Edited by OmutsuSamaArt (see edit history)