Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Any Astronomy lovers out there?

I highly recommend Space Engine (available on Steam). It is populated with real astronomical data and fills in the gaps with procedural generation. I occasionally enjoy zooming out to the galactic scale and then navigating my way back to Earth without using the Go-To search function (Orion is very helpful for this purpose-- start by finding the molecular cloud complex, then try to align Orion's stars, starting with the belt, and move around a bit 'til you find Sirius, then get it aligned to its spot in Canis Major and our solar system won't be far). This software probably gives the best sense of scale of any depiction I've seen, from planetary surfaces all the way out to a comoving distance of around 10 Gpc from Earth (similar to the distance of the most distant astronomical objects ever identified and about 2/3 of the way to the particle horizon).

• 3 months later...

Omg I hope y'all are still active; I'm a HUGE space nerd! I've took a tour of NASA in HS. I actually got to stand in the middle of the old Apollo Mission Control room. You can just...FEEL the history that was made in that room, it was incredible. I'd totally get a job there cleaning floors or whatever; I wouldn't care. It's fuckin' NASA! Problem is Houston's too much of a shit-hole. Oh well.

It's funny 'cause my roommates and I were talkin' just last night about our preferred apocalypse scenario. When it became time for my suggestion, I hit my vape and simply said: "Wolf-Rayet 104." Blank stares. This lead to me a running a mini-lecture series on supernovae, stellar fusion, gamma ray bursts, acute radiation poisoning, and the concept of the the speed of light. All in all it took almost 2hrs and left one of my roommates absolutely terrified of space. Fun times 😄

15 hours ago, solous.persona said:

Omg I hope y'all are still active; I'm a HUGE space nerd! I've took a tour of NASA in HS. I actually got to stand in the middle of the old Apollo Mission Control room. You can just...FEEL the history that was made in that room, it was incredible. I'd totally get a job there cleaning floors or whatever; I wouldn't care. It's fuckin' NASA! Problem is Houston's too much of a shit-hole. Oh well.

It's funny 'cause my roommates and I were talkin' just last night about our preferred apocalypse scenario. When it became time for my suggestion, I hit my vape and simply said: "Wolf-Rayet 104." Blank stares. This lead to me a running a mini-lecture series on supernovae, stellar fusion, gamma ray bursts, acute radiation poisoning, and the concept of the the speed of light. All in all it took almost 2hrs and left one of my roommates absolutely terrified of space. Fun times 😄

Hahahahahaha i bet there minds we're blown 😂 I love Space! I'm always active on here 😉

6 hours ago, StubbornBunny said:

Hahahahahaha i bet there minds we're blown 😂 I love Space! I'm always active on here 😉

lol yay nerd shit!!!😄

My brother and I both submitted applications to the Mars One Project babk in the day. Sucks that it went bankrupt, but then again, I always kinda knew in the back of my mind that it was all too good to be true. At least right now; give it a few years.

5 hours ago, PetrichorDL said:

Not sure if "Astronomy lover" would be a fitting term for me but I very much like the topic but I don't have any equipment like a telescope. There are some really great and fascinating videos about that topic from the youtube channel Kurzgesagt - In a nutshell

LOVEEEEEEEEEEE these types of videos, so interesting and entertaining! ❤️ 

• 3 weeks later...

It's my favorite time of year in Texas y'all! The First Cold Front Of Fall finally blew in last night. Which means everytime I go outside to smoke I get to close my eyes, look up towards the sun as the cool breeze flows over me and think "I'm feelin' the warmth of an object that is currently over 92 million miles away from where I'm sittin' right now." I love the Fall...

20 hours ago, Cherry Petal said:

I really love space! I've been wanting to get a really nice telescope but there's too many trees where I live currently. At least there's JWST pictures to get excited over, and some really good progress happening on space travel too!

Yay!!! Another Space Nerd joins the Ranks.

I just found Apollo Radio Chatter videos on Youtube. Great to fall asleep to!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, solous.persona said:

With a Screenname like that you'd better be a Space Nerd! 😛

Fair enough. I am a huge science fiction and fantasy fan. The old Star Wars Expanded Universe was one of my favorite fictional universes.

But I am also a bit of a casual NASA, space flight, and space exploration nerd.

And while there does tend to be a bit of an overlap, I’ve noticed that the real-world Sci/Tech panels at large sci-fi conventions are tend to have much smaller crowds than the celebrity panels, or even the fan discussion panels.

As for me, I’ve been loving “realistic” sci-fi lately. Things like The Martian, The Expanse, and For All Mankind.

Star Wars a we knew it growin' up is dead to me. Thank and Fuck You Disney. I don't even acknowledge Disney Star Wars and I've made it my Life Mission to make sure Disney gets $0.00 of my money.

The Expanse...I could talk about The Expanse all day! I've read thru whole series 3 times. I haven't read the newest one yet, but it's on The List. Of the show I've only seen up to the 1st episode of Season 4. I was a little disappointed as it took a season and a half to do the first book, but only 4 episodes to do the third book, which is my favorite one.

Have y'all watched any Scott Manly? He's a youtube "Armchair Physicist" and has a lot of videos about the science of The Expanse, Space Exploration in general, and he does a lot of cool stuff in Kerbal Space Program(like buildin' and flyin' a Viper mk II from Battlestar Galactica).

Disney Star Wars has been very hit-or-miss for me. But in general, I tend to find that anything that Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau have been involved with has actually been quite good. Dave Filoni was essentially George Lucas’ apprentice while making the Clone Wars cartoon, and Jon Favreau launched the MCU with Iron Man. Together they gave us The Mandalorian which has been one of the best things to come out of Disney Star Wars. So those guys seem to know what they’re doing.

The Expanse is an excellent show. Excellent characters, excellent plot, and mostly realistic physics for space travel and space combat. I have not had a chance to read the novels the show was based on, but they are on my “to read” list.

I don’t know if I’ve seen that specific YouTube channel, but I have watched sever videos about which sci-fi movies and shows tend to get things right, and which ones are just Space Fantasy.

And if you haven’t seen it, I do recommend For All Mankind. It’s an alternate history show on Apple+ where the Soviets beat the US to the moon, and the space race continues.

It shows stuff like moon bases, Helium 3 mining, atomic engines, rotational gravity, and solar sails all in a fairly realistic manner.

The most recent season showed a race to Mars between the US, the Soviets, and a “Totally Not SpaceX” private space company.