Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Retro games and emulators

I have been thinking about playing some old retro games (not hack roms) but I don't want to spend the money. But apparently downloading such games might be illegal. If I download pokemon red version on an emulator is it illegal? If so why? It's not a hack rom version. Also, it's cheaper to download. What do you think? What is the legal 4-1-1 on the matter? And how do you make a patch of the game to download it? 

Guest AromaticPee

Um... you could always try using Raspberry Pi for such things. You know, it works for almost every single retro game there is. But don't take my word for it... hehehe...

Guest WetterArgento

Emulator software is legal so theres no problem with that. Pirating games is technically not legal since the games are copyrighted but the only times companies have taken legal action has been against websites that let you download the games and not against people that own them. So you shouldn't worry on that front

Edited by WetterArgento (see edit history)
On 5/29/2022 at 9:46 AM, WetterArgento said:

Emulator software is legal so theres no problem with that. Pirating games is technically not legal since the games are copyrighted but the only times companies have taken legal action has been against websites that let you download the games and not against people that own them. So you shouldn't worry on that front

There are Internet service providers who will terminate your service or slow it down if you illegally download stuff, though.

On 5/28/2022 at 10:35 PM, Uroguy said:

I have been thinking about playing some old retro games (not hack roms) but I don't want to spend the money. But apparently downloading such games might be illegal. If I download pokemon red version on an emulator is it illegal? If so why? It's not a hack rom version. Also, it's cheaper to download. What do you think? What is the legal 4-1-1 on the matter? And how do you make a patch of the game to download it? 

ROM hacks are generally legal because they're usually distributed as a patch that doesn't contain any copyrighted code. The patch is then applied to a ROM image that you ideally dumped yourself. If it's a game that's still being sold first-party (Pokémon Red Version is available for purchase on the Nintendo 3DS), pirating is basically stealing.

I suggest looking up a music video called Don't Copy That Floppy, it's entertaining and educational, if a bit outdated.

Hey, I am not interested in anything that is illegal. I am looking for other legal avenues to obtain retor pokemon games that aren't made and sold anymore. I don't want to choose a method that's going to land me in prison though. How do i download a patch of let's say, a hack rom pokemon game? Also, which pokemon hack rom games don't have copyright material and code? How do you download such a game as a patch?

Edited by Uroguy (see edit history)
Guest WetterArgento
16 hours ago, silvermoon said:

There are Internet service providers who will terminate your service or slow it down if you illegally download stuff, though.

Haven't heard that happening before with the providers where I'm from, but its an interesting thing to keep in mind

Guest AromaticPee

You could just use a Raspberry Pi, you know... that way, you can easily access lots of games, provided you have the right controllers for each console!