Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What are the rules on continuing someone else's story, if its been declared dead/won't be continued by the author?

This is honestly more a question of pure curiosity I've been wondering, if any of the admins have an answer?

Considering how many fictions here get abandoned, I was wondering if its against the rules to continue someone else's work; if they have definitively abandoned it?

Do you need their permission? Is it outright forbidden? Is there a time limit?

I was wondering as I saw a sequel fanfic here to 'Ashley's Orientation Day', by a different author; however that was from another site.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, just something that's been rattling around my brain for a while. 😛 

I would ask the OP first, and if they allow it go ahead. 

If the OP is deactivated or hasnt been on the site for more than a year that's another story. Still It would be proper to make your own thread saying it's an unofficial continuation and link the original writer. 

Edited by Here4theFun (see edit history)

@Tom Hayfield Man, it is always nice ask for permission, so I guess it is always the best way to follow....but lets be honest here too......sometimes the author of that story could be like " last time online 3 years ago " or the person just vanish from internet...I'll use the workshop from steam as base, in the mods.....they made it all time, when the game update but the mod was abandoned by the person who create it, you have some persons that post it with the tag " continued "and made references from the original post and made clear that it is not his work

This is a exemple of what they do

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2263331727
pufA0kM.png

I dont know it it helps or if it is against some rule from the site or copyright terms, plus Im not a ADM, but that way they made on steam looks really fair to me.....anyway was just my personal opinion, as I said first, ask for permision is the only way 100% sure that it is okay