Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I've been googling around a bit, and it seems on average a bladder fills up in around 8 to 9 hours of waiting after drinking a big amount of water... For me this is somewhat correct.

My question is, how long does it for y'all take untill your bladder is full?
Say you drink a whole lot of water and then just wait, how long until you lose control?

Also do certain things affect your hold? For instance whether you drink water or soda? Or how much movement you do in a day?

I'm trying to make a very hard (but possible) challenge for me and my girlfriend...

I'm not sure how long it takes until I really pee my pants, but I've measured how fast my bladder is filling a lot of times and it depends on how much I drink.

I have measured multiple times how much it takes for 500ml !! to be in my bladder (it's not full at that point).

If I didn't drink for a couple of hours before and then:

I drink 500ml, that exact amount will be in my bladder after 2:10 hours.

I drink 1,5 Liters, there will be 500ml !! in my bladder after 1:20 hours already.

I don't know, 7-9 hours seems really long. It really only takes an hour or two to get the "need to pee" feeling, and then you can hold that for a few more hours or drink more to become more desperate quicker. I find caffeine and sodas really make me more desperate. Tea is also really great. 

I don't know about movement though. Let's say I exercise, it actually makes me pee less (for me at least), I'll drink several water bottles and barely anything comes out because I made myself dehydrated from exercise. 

8 hour seems like a long time, quick google search says 6-7 bathroom trips is normal so even by highly average standards, 8 hours seems a bit long. 

For me it varies anywhere from an hour to 4 hours. Obviously a lot of things that affect it, whether I'm only drinking once and done, or drinking throughout like a normal day, whether I'm drinking sodas, tea, beer or just water and countless more

Naturally this can vary quite a bit, but going from completely empty to losing control when I'm intentionally loading up on fluids (several bottles of water plus tea or other liquids) has taken as long as three and a half hours. 

Re-wettings will often take significantly less time if my bladder is overworked.

Edited by ThreadbareOmo (see edit history)

If I drink a large volume of liquid (>1.5l) then my bladder will be full (~1300 ml) after 2h15 to 2h30 depending on how hydrated I was to begin with. If I drink normally it will fill more slowly 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, holdinggirl94 said:

I'm not sure how long it takes until I really pee my pants, but I've measured how fast my bladder is filling a lot of times and it depends on how much I drink.

I have measured multiple times how much it takes for 500ml !! to be in my bladder (it's not full at that point).

If I didn't drink for a couple of hours before and then:

I drink 500ml, that exact amount will be in my bladder after 2:10 hours.

I drink 1,5 Liters, there will be 500ml !! in my bladder after 1:20 hours already.

This is awesome. How do you judge 500 ml? Do you have a very good sense of how much is in your bladder at any time?

On 5/15/2022 at 10:50 AM, CenturyBladder said:

If I drink a large volume of liquid (>1.5l) then my bladder will be full (~1300 ml) after 2h15 to 2h30 depending on how hydrated I was to begin with. If I drink normally it will fill more slowly 

This is awesome. How do you judge 500 ml? Do you have a very good sense of how much is in your bladder at any time?

Well I always feel the same way if I'm holding, so yeah it's pretty easy to figure out how much is in my bladder and sometimes I measure it when peeing and I'm nearly always correct about the amount.

At 200ml: I feel a small tingle in my bladder, but it disappears after a few minutes.

At 400ml: I really start having to pee.

At 500ml: I get really nervous.

At 600ml: I can't sit still anymore. I have to wobble my legs, press them against each other or moving back and forth on a chair.

At 700ml: I have to keep moving, I can't sit anymore, because if I'm sitting, I will pee my pants, there is no way of holding it while sitting.

At 800ml: I pee my pants, no matter what.

Guest K95F

Theres tons of factors that affect how long I can hold. I've been anywhere from the extreme ends of 30 minutes to 5 hours (5 hours isnt that extreme for some of you is it now). Anything from what I drink, to my anxiety levels, to what activities I do. 

Usually I eat and drink normally even if I am going to start an intentional hold. Filling my bladder slowly and continuously I feel the 'desire to void' after 6 to 8 hrs but can easily suppress or postpone the feelings. If I don't respond to the urge most of the time the pressure subsides and I can go on holding it for quite a few hours. Typically I can wait for 12 hours on a regular basis but sometimes I push myself further, ignore the rising urge and sometimes head for 24 hours.

How long does it for y'all take untill your bladder is full? As long as I have drank at least 800 ml, it only takes a couple hours to feel like my bladder is full. I feel gentle urges before that amount, but I've noticed from logging liquid intake in the OmoOrg Discord that 800-1000 ml is when I start wiggling and getting desperate.

Say you drink a whole lot of water and then just wait, how long until you lose control? If I drink a huge amount all at once, it actually fills me up and gets painful, rather than creating the NICE (and arousing) feeling of fullness. The ache in my bladder doesn't necessarily make me lose control, I just get super uncomfortable and HAVE to relieve the pressure willingly. 

Also do certain things affect your hold? For instance whether you drink water or soda? Or how much movement you do in a day? I always stick to water. Other liquids risk me needing to poop, which turns me off. Movement does affect me, though. Usually, I start holds and chug water while sitting. If I stand up and walk around, that makes the desperation worse, and it starts coming out.

I would say 8-9 hours is very abnormal. I think you can only hold that long if you are not drinking enough water. In my experience, my kidneys can produce about maximum 500-600 ml pee per hour. I try to match my drinking to achieve this maximum since that creates pee that is mostly water and makes me pee myself quickly so the health risk is minimized. How much to drink to achieve the 500 ml pee depends on how much I'm sweating (you don't want to drink TOO much, that could give you water intoxication). I usually drink like 500 + 500 + 500 + 500 + 750 ml at 45 minute intervals. I drink 750 for the last one since I sweat a lot more when I'm bursting. I've never been able to hold it for 45 minutes after that 5th drink. I always pee myself when my bladder reaches 1400 ml which happens somewhere between 2.30 to 3.30 hours.

Edited by Brennan (see edit history)

Even if you drink nothing, your bladder will still fill since your organs still produce waste to be filtered out. For this reason I find it's really hard to make a consistent and fair challenge considering what you drank yesterday will effect your hydration and anything containing toxins like caffeine or alcohol will get filtered much faster. So in conclusion you and your girlfriend would have to drink the same stuff at the same time for 24h at least before holding. I think after that, It usually takes me about an hour after drinking water to feel the effects, and after 3-4 hours id say 75% of it is in my bladder but beyond that id depends how hydrated I was to begin with. 

In terms of what types of activities makes me need to pee more. Personally I find standing in weird positions challenging and then cycling between sitting and standing. Once I'm in a position for a while I become less desperate. Maybe try a yoga tutorial or something :). I have a friend that says she always needs to pee when she does exercise which is cute but that usually doesnt get me too bad. Would love to hear the results of your experiments! I can only really test things on myself 🙂   

On 5/11/2022 at 12:59 PM, xaz9998035 said:

I've been googling around a bit, and it seems on average a bladder fills up in around 8 to 9 hours of waiting after drinking a big amount of water... For me this is somewhat correct.

Say you drink a whole lot of water and then just wait, how long until you lose control?

Also do certain things affect your hold? For instance whether you drink water or soda? Or how much movement you do in a day?

I'm trying to make a very hard (but possible) challenge for me and my girlfriend...

Bladder capacity varies a lot, anywhere from under 500ml to 2-3+ litres. I'm on the upper end of that and if I were drinking what I normally do, I would hold it all day and still not be full to the point of losing control. 

If I drink 1 liter per hour (which should be the absolute maximum to drink before risking water intoxication by the way, unless you started dehydrated), it takes about 3 hours until I reach a desperate stage if I was hydrated before I started, probably 3.5-4 hours if I wasn't.

Drinking some soda/beer in the beginning is good to cause a bit more irritation of the bladder, which causes more urgency for a hold. Same goes for holding in your morning pee.

I find the best thing to make myself leak accidentally is to continue drinking water even when I'm already bursting, and to limit movement and ability to hold with hands (like lying on my back, legs spread, no fidgeting, etc). I would avoid putting more than a little external pressure on the bladder if it's bulging out and full, it's a good way to hurt yourself. Being near water features like a flowing river, dripping tap, or sound effects might make it harder to hold.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, xaz9998035 said:

How  long it takes my or anyone's bladder to fill varies wildly depending what /how much I have had to drink. On average probably 3-4 hours, sometimes less.

I don't know where you got the 8-9 hours after drinking a large amount of water, but it  is vastly, overstated by two to three times, even without drinking a lot. 

Back in my high school days my large and cast iron strong bladder could hold my pee all day at school, so 8-10 hours. But it freaking HURT everything down there.  I had to pee badly by noon time , about 5 hours in. My bladder was already full. By sheer will I held it until 5PM , without an accident, but the agony was intense.  Now I can't come close to that, except when I am asleep.

I can hold it 5-6 hours if I must before I leak, if I take it easy on what I drink. I generally avoid that because of other health issues. Routinely I can wait 3 hours or so.

I have held it up to 15 hours* with considerable leaking , but half that time I was asleep. When I woke up my bladder was starting to stretch, and what is commonly referred to as full . The bladder is capable of considerable distension beyond the "full" point. After waking up, I consumed 3 large mugs of tea. Within a couple of hours my bladder was painfully stretched. Most people won't deal with that unless forced to. I held on for another hour or so before the leaking started. Of course they were occasional at first, but became more frequent and bigger until my pants were soaked. That took another 2 hours or so. 

In the past I have measured as much as 1.35 liters of pee in my bladder . That was painful beyond fun. Now I can only hold 800 or so ml. 

Most physicians, say an average normal adult should pee every 2-4 hours, producing around 500 ml. If you are going less frequently you are dehydrated and risk UTI and possible bladder or kidney damage.