Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Latch key incontinence

• The title was changed to Latch key incontinence
22 hours ago, Showerproof said:

As long as you are walking and exercising leg muscles you are also exercising the pelvic floor which keeps the gates shut, hence it is rather harder to pee while walking than while standing still.  But once you stop it all relaxes. 

I'm glad you picked up on this tbh because I've thought about it a lot over the years. My first 4 experiences of accidents happened before 18 and were 'latch key' related - ot at least related to suddenly becoming stationary before losing control soon after.

I actually think a lot of mitigating factors are going on psychologically / biologically / physically that can cause loss of control, and I've noticed since my first accident that keeping on moving is the single most effective way to stop a loss of control, or at least hold it in until the last minute.

This is definitely something that I experience often, getting unstoppable need to pee, when I'm already in front of the toilet or only a few steps away, like when unlocking the front door. Getting out of the car to go to my apartment or use nearby public bathroom also has similar effect. I often start to leak heavily at those moments.

I can also confirm, that holding pee when you stop after walking, can be a problem. Sometimes when I walk desperate for a while, than stop at the pedestrian crossing to wait for green light, I get strong urge to pee, sometimes strong enough to wet myself. Strangely, urge get stronger when I have to wait and stand still, opposite to the times I just stop for a moment and don't have to wait for green light to start walking again. 

10 minutes ago, CarmenCD said:

This is definitely something that I experience often, getting unstoppable need to pee, when I'm already in front of the toilet or only a few steps away, like when unlocking the front door. Getting out of the car to go to my apartment or use nearby public bathroom also has similar effect. I often start to leak heavily at those moments.

Totally relate...

if I need to pee and then come home, front door, see the toilet... it just adds so much to the urgency!

I don't have a big history of accidents from being unable to hold it anymore, I'm more of a sneeze leak girl.

But a few weeks ago I allowed myself to get really desperate driving home and between the car and the toilet there was a lok of leaking...so it can really happen to me. I did were a menstrual pad in preparation, so I managed to keep my clothes dry. But it was a pretty hot experience.

I'm not so sure if it has anything to do with movement or not. I think it's psychological. 90% of my accidents are exactly latch-key accidents. I'm desperate, but fine, as long as I'm not in the vicinity of my home. But when I get there it's when it goes wrong. Doesn't matter if I get home walking, by car, by public transport or whatever, I see my front door and I get frantic.  

On 4/26/2022 at 3:22 PM, wannagetwet said:

It’s super real! On my 22nd birthday I went out to bars with some friends and got absolutely hammered, lol. So I took an Uber home (no roommates, fortunately) and as I was trying to unlock my front door I just started peeing uncontrollably. I couldn’t stop once I’d started (holding myself or crossing my legs was useless at that point) so my jeans got completely soaked and a puddle quickly formed at my feet. I knew there was no sense in going inside and peeing on the floor so I just stood there on the front porch, enjoying the feeling of pissing myself out in the open. I still fantasize about it sometimes 👀

So hot 🔥

Mine many latch-key accidents seem different from what I've read here.  Most of mine happen while I'm walking.  Nearly always I'm walking home with a medium bladder signal.  I round a corner and see my apartment building.  Within 6 paces my pee starts flowing.  The urge still feels just a little stronger.  But I can't stop peeing for maybe 5 seconds.  These unannounced pees are a major reason I wear a pull-up or diaper 24/7.

I feel it has a lot to do with how strong the link is between your bladder and your brain. I know some people that just can "forget" their need when doing something else. Or that can just keep carrying on what they are doing, even though they get lots of urgency signals from their bladder.

For me that is not the case: when I feel the need, it doesn't go away and only gets stronger. And the stronger it gets, the less brain space I have to concentrate on other things. So in the case of handling keys, it's like I have to force my brain to make space to concentrate on opening the door. Causing a sudden diminishing in holding power. Same thing when I am close to the toilet and start anticipating: my brain suddenly is lured into thinking and not holding.

So I think it is more a question of how much a "psychological" type you are when it comes to holding.

@DespLoveDennis

"I feel it has a lot to do with how strong the link is between your bladder and your brain. I know some people that just can "forget" their need when doing something else. Or that can just keep carrying on what they are doing, even though they get lots of urgency signals from their bladder.

For me that is not the case: when I feel the need, it doesn't go away and only gets stronger. And the stronger it gets, the less brain space I have to concentrate on other things. So in the case of handling keys, it's like I have to force my brain to make space to concentrate on opening the door. Causing a sudden diminishing in holding power. Same thing when I am close to the toilet and start anticipating: my brain suddenly is lured into thinking and not holding.

So I think it is more a question of how much a "psychological" type you are when it comes to holding."

I have often said that desperation is like 90% psychological, as I feel that I am similar, when I have to go to the bathroom even if I can hold it for a long time I still constantly and thinking about the fact that I have to go to the bathroom, and it's hard to concentrate on anything other than the fact that my bladder is full. I know there are some people who can just ignore a full bladder for hours at a time like it were nothing, but even if I am capable of holding I'm still thinking the whole time I have to go to the bathroom, and I find it impossible to forget that I need to go to the bathroom until I actually do go to the bathroom.

55 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

I have often said that desperation is like 90% psychological, as I feel that I am similar, when I have to go to the bathroom even if I can hold it for a long time I still constantly and thinking about the fact that I have to go to the bathroom, and it's hard to concentrate on anything other than the fact that my bladder is full. I know there are some people who can just ignore a full bladder for hours at a time like it were nothing, but even if I am capable of holding I'm still thinking the whole time I have to go to the bathroom, and I find it impossible to forget that I need to go to the bathroom until I actually do go to the bathroom.

Yeah, there was a discussion about that recently… when you’re trying to have an accident under safe/controlled conditions that sense of jeopardy isn’t there, so unless you have a genuinely weak bladder, your willpower is exhausted before your physical limits are reached. A bit like trying to hold in a diaper, when there’s a safe discreet release whenever you want it. Whereas if you’re in public or in company or even just trying to make it home without soaking your nice clothes, that sense of panic takes over, you think you’re going to have an accident so you potentially do.

7 hours ago, LizJWetting said:

I think it's a physchological thing too. Like when you're home or almost home, you subconsciously think that it's "safe" to go, so your body relaxes slightly and perhaps relaxes too much. Getting home always seems to make my desperation worse for that reason, and I've had accidents in that situation before.

Yeah, I think it's probably a mix of both too.

I have the opposite of this. If my urge to urinate is around 5/10 or greater, I get super nervous and start to panic unless I'm 100% sure there's a clean, functioning, unlocked restroom nearby. I'm so terrified of having an accident that I rush home or to the nearest restroom as though I were moments away from peeing myself. However, I often realize once I'm about to pee that I could have held it much longer if need be, albeit with some discomfort.