Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

JetBlue flight from Boston to Dominican Republic has no bathrooms

A 4 hour Jetblue flight took off with the the cabin crew knowing all bathrooms were out of order. Passagers were not told until they were airborne. Apparently, “a good number of passengers ended up relieving themselves in their pants out if desperation.”

So, which one of us let that plane take off? 😉

https://listindiario.com/la-republica/2022/04/10/716695/pasajeros-de-vuelo-de-jet-blue-se-quejaron-de-que-viajaron-con-banos-fuera-de-servicio

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1471917

Edit: sounds like they were actually told before boarding, but still…

Edited by BENAir01 (see edit history)

Honsetly it's not that bad in the sense that if you are sitting in the window or middle seat you may end up holding it in for hours anyways if your seatmate is asleep or you are too shy etc., 

Check out this thread I have of all my desperate flight experiences where its basvcailly the same as no toilet in the flight for hours because I was stuck in the middle or window seat. Read especially my July 4 2021 post which was one of the most painful pee holding experiences I ever had 

I would be livid since I seriously doubt I could hold my urine for 4 hours unless I was intentionally avoiding liquids before the flight. Even then, I'm not sure I could wait. I'm also not comfortable urinating into any sort of container during the flight  since anyone could see me. I need the privacy of a restroom to relieve myself. I hate wetting myself, but I probably would have lost control during the flight 

It's funny as this reminded me of a similar story about a plane that had no functioning bathrooms on a six hour flight and everybody immediately thought of me when they heard that story. On a flight without bathrooms for four hours I would survive but I would spend most of the flight desperate and it would be hard to enjoy the fact that others were desperate when you are holding on for dear life yourself. Especially if that was unexpected it would be rather aggravating and I would think that they should get like a discount on their tickets if not a full refund as it was one of those situations where the expectation there would be bathrooms was taken as given.

It reminds me of when I was on a bus tour once and there was the presumption that the bus had bathrooms but the bathrooms were out of order, and once again they just expect everybody to take it in stride. When there is a reasonable expectation that you are going to have a bathroom to then not provide one I think is really shortchanging people and really not respecting them. I mean I can understand if it was suddenly to go out of order, but you should have found some alternative to just expecting everybody to go without bathrooms the entire trip.

4 hours without a bathroom break would be a challenge for a healthy adult (assuming they are well hydrated) let alone kids and those with disabilities or medical conditions who might have weaker bladders. I'd certainly struggle unless I'd avoided drinking anything for a few hours beforehand. When drinking my usual amount, I could probably just about hold on for 4 hours but I'd be really uncomfortable and would be rushing to a toilet the moment I was off the plane. 

6 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

Airplane seem to be one of those places where you would just naturally assume that there was a bathroom. I mean why wouldn't an aircraft have a bathroom because those are pretty long flights?!

I would assume that an airplane would have a bathroom on board especially for a flight lasting two or more hours. Even so, I'm so afraid of being desperate to pee/ having an accident, that i would pee as many times as I could and avoid liquids for a few hours before boarding. As a general rule, I do this unless I'm 100% sure there's a bathroom somewhere.

1 hour ago, Willing_toHold said:

Well let's put outrage aside and just imagine how interesting it could be as a passenger on that flight. Looking around to see who looks desperate,  etc. Beats the usual in flight boredom, no? Personally I think I would cover myself in a blanket and piss into the airsick bag.

I would have loved, loved, loved to have been on that flight! 😍

8 hours ago, OmoSamurai said:

Wow, that is bananas. I can't imagine a airline company actually letting the plane take off without functioning facilities. I'd be mad as hell. Especially if I paid a lot for that plane ticket. I guess it would have been impossible to switch planes or something.

Well, if actually shouldn’t be too hard (usually there’s a plane on standby at very large hubs) and it’s possible it could have been solved with a 1 hour delay for mechanics to look at it. 

8 hours ago, lsn1 said:

I hate wetting myself…

Then… what are you doing on this website? 😝 image.gif.8a405f5bb9fc11a3357954cfc21ad971.gif

3 hours ago, Spectre Jester said:

Yeah this doesn’t sound all that fun, a plane with no bathrooms. It’d be nice to see people holding their pee or even wetting themselves, but I don’t think I could enjoy much of that if I was trying hard not to pee myself either.

I’d quite like to sit there smugly in my nappy watching others get desperate and wet themselves 😉 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, BENAir01 said:

I was wondering how long until these two forums would cross paths.  This occurrence is unusual but it happens often enough to be a thing.

5 hours ago, nappypants said:

I’d quite like to sit there smugly in my nappy watching others get desperate and wet themselves 😉 

Agreed or I'd blend in and use it as an excuse to have an accident.

On 4/12/2022 at 9:17 PM, lsn1 said:

I would be livid since I seriously doubt I could hold my urine for 4 hours unless I was intentionally avoiding liquids before the flight. Even then, I'm not sure I could wait. I'm also not comfortable urinating into any sort of container during the flight  since anyone could see me. I need the privacy of a restroom to relieve myself. I hate wetting myself, but I probably would have lost control during the flight 

It's ok for me. Actually I never use the bathroom on plane for a trip to 6 hours (4 hours flight plus 1-2 hours boarding and taxi etc).  I usually drink whatever the flight attendants offered plus a bottle of water from myself. Sometimes I have to use the bathroom of airport, or I can? hold it to my home or hotel. 

For the intercontinental flights that take more than 10 hours, the bathroom is necessary for me. 

• 3 weeks later...