Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Work bathrooms

1 hour ago, Alias Unknown said:

So unironically, the bathrooms at my workplace are currently being remodeled. Manager said there would probably be a temporary “solution” for customers but didn’t mention us. 

omo brain aside, i hate my work place

That sucks, I'm very sorry to hear it. I once worked in a water treatment facility that didn't have bathrooms, I actually thought the guy was joking with me but then he was serious, he said "I'm serious, go to the coffee shop there if you want a bathroom". A company that treats its workers so badly is a terrible company. 

It's shocking to think that an employer would even consider expecting their staff to work full shifts without even the most basic and necessary facilities. Personally, omo aside obviously, I'd be either going home or asking them to arrange for me to take breaks at another location with the correct facilities, but I know it's not that easy for a lot of workers unfortunately.

As an aside, for a short while we were taking our breaks at a location with temporary facilities in portacabins. Although there were toilets open to the public in one of the cabins too, it was agreed that we would have our own private toilet facilities which were kept locked. The height of luxury.

You should report them. Looking at your post history it seems like they really don't treat you all well, and having employee restroom is a federal requirement: https://www.osha.gov/restrooms-sanitation

Additionally, there are some requirements for access for employees. It doesn't look like your manager has always followed that either.

Edited by StNick (see edit history)

@DesperateToes

"Why should it be illegal? If you can't hold it, get another job."

That's what people told me when I got an outdoor job where there were no toilets available for six or seven hours. Of course not everybody has the option of finding another job because it doesn't mean that you can always find a job that is ideal. My job was pretty good aside from the bathroom situation so I basically went with it and just learn to hold it but it was certainly not easy!

@Alias Unknown

"They probably are but you know how businesses find loopholes"

When I got my job outdoors where there often weren't bathrooms we were told that we would use the bathrooms wherever we happen to be on site, except for the problem is that the bathrooms were often closed especially due to Covid, but that wasn't really the fault of the employer, as they just naturally seemed to assume that these places would have open bathrooms, and unfortunately for us they did not.

I know this is going to make me sound like an evil bitch but it's so nice to find another woman who is not getting to pee at her job all day, but I had better shut up because knowing the karmic gods if I enjoy your desperation too much I will find that my job resumes this summer and you will probably have a new bathroom by then and then you'll probably be the one laughing at my situation.…

I've seen worksites where the portpotty was placed so inconveniently that the workers tended to hold their pee until it was urgent.  I've heard from restaurant workers who said the employee facilities were in another building or on another floor, far from where they were actually working.  Sometimes employers manage to meet the letter of the law without meeting the spirit of the law.

@Spectator9

"I've seen worksites where the portpotty was placed so inconveniently that the workers tended to hold their pee until it was urgent.  I've heard from restaurant workers who said the employee facilities were in another building or on another floor, far from where they were actually working.  Sometimes employers manage to meet the letter of the law without meeting the spirit of the law."

This is very true. Like during my job we could take a bathroom break whenever we wanted, but it was not the employer's fault if the places where we go didn't open their bathrooms or that they were out of order or what not.

The same was the situation in high school, as I have mentioned in numerous posts. Where because they found drugs and alcohol and the girls bathroom they locked all of them but one, so you had one girls bathroom with five stalls in it for several hundred girls and only four minutes to go between classes.

If somebody had told the school that they weren't providing any bathrooms for the girls they could say that there was a bathroom for the girls, the fact that it had a woefully inadequate amount of toilets for most of the girls to use it at any point during the day realistically was beside the point as far as they were concerned. Yes they provided the absolute bare minimum, so yes there were bathrooms, but fat chance of getting to use it unless you were really lucky to find it unoccupied and in a convenient location.

15 hours ago, scinosensation said:

I thought such situations were illegal. If not they should be.

4 hours ago, StNick said:

You should report them. Looking at your post history it seems like they really don't treat you all well, and having employee restroom is a federal requirement: https://www.osha.gov/restrooms-sanitation

Additionally, there are some requirements for access for employees. It doesn't look like your manager has always followed that either.

My point exactly!  Thanks for the citation, @StNick