Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Witnessing a friend’s silent desperation!

This just happened today, in one of my classes. Now, this is a guy who I’m pretty good friends with, and we’ve had a very complicated “situationship” type of thing in the past. (I still have feelings for him, don’t know how he feels, but that’s not the point of this).

This guy, we’ll call him Andy, and I have a few classes together. That’s probably how we’ve become so close. For a bit of context, Andy is very, and I mean VERY quiet. I’m one of the few people he talks to, and as far as I know, his only female identifying friend. And the only time he will say anything about his need is when he’s very quietly asking permission to go to the bathroom.

During this particular class I have with him, he almost always has to go about halfway through. I can usually tell when he’s about to get up and ask, because he does that nervous sort of look around to see if the last guy to go has come back yet so he can ask without being told to wait.

Well today was, well, a bit different. Almost immediately after class started, he seemed, a bit nervous. For about 25 minutes, it was blatantly obvious to me he needed to go. To the normal person, he might’ve just been uncomfortable or anxious, but we all on here know how we are. We can tell because we spend so much time reading about, experimenting, and looking for the signs in real life.

During this time period, he kept shifting around, tensing up, and moving his legs in weird positions with his thighs smushed together. At one point, he began fanning his legs a bit. I’m not exactly sure why he didn’t just get up and ask after a few minutes. I didn’t notice any of the other guys out, but that might’ve been it. Or he could’ve just been anxious to finish the late assignment he hadn’t turned in, and then trying to quickly work on another to make sure he could get it done on time. He did eventually get up and go, and he looked pretty relieved when he came back.

This is a pretty small sighting, I know, but it gets me really excited. 1. Because he usually doesn’t show this much movement, so it gets me to thinking the need must’ve been pretty urgent.

& 2. Tomorrow is a bit of a weird schedule due to the blocking and mandatory testing, so we’ll be spending a block period together that we normally wouldn’t for testing, in which you’re not allowed to get up and do things like go to the bathroom. At the end of said period, we’ll have lunch together, and I don’t believe he typically goes during lunch. Then after that, we’ll have the same class I witnessed the above story in together, in which we’ll be doing different stations (this teacher’s stations usually take awhile to complete), and working together on them. To add to that last bit, there’s NO WAY he would excuse himself in the middle of doing these ESPECIALLY in front of me to go (most likely because we’d be working on something just the two of us, and there wouldn’t be a way for him to silently step away). 

There’s definitely a possibility I’m getting way too prematurely excited for this, and it might not be as eventful as I’m hoping, but I’m still excited regardless.