Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

How is the average bladder size closer to 500mL?

From what I understand, in the general population smaller bladders are more common than you might think which will tend to effect the overall average. I've always just assumed people like us who can hold monumental amounts are an outlier as far as the numbers go. I for one have yet to find my upper limit which would be good if I was more interested in the desperation before hand.

This forum would be heavily biased towards people with larger bladders, as people into omo are more likely to push their limits more than an average person so they have a larger recorded capacity, and we tend to stretch out our bladders more often which can make them grow larger (not sure if this has been proven, but anecdotally it has happened to me)

I believe the average person can get 400-500 ml before getting an urge but if they push themselves they can hold up to 700ml when bursting

i've long since suspected those figures are on the low side. not only because an average is by nature going to be lower than the highest numbers, but because it's unlikely such studies recorded people's actual maximum capacities. more likely the participants were just instructed to pee when they felt like they couldn't hold it any more, rather than waiting for them to actually lose control.

plus, even if they did try to reach their actual limits, most people aren't very experienced at holding it. people on here are more likely to know what to drink or avoid drinking, what positions help most, how to distract themselves from the feeling, and so forth, as well as just being more used to the feeling and so able to ignore it better. practice makes perfect, and so forth.

Yeah there's no way this is right. Because I'd just read this thread, I just measured at the point where I was aware of needing to go – the level where I'd probably go if I was about to start a 1hr meeting just so it couldn't develop into a distraction, but nowhere near desperate. It came out at 500ml.

I know from observation compared to others I have a very normal bladder capacity, so that can't be the average maximum. I assume the studies are flawed. A proper study that really tested people to their absolute limit is something I'd be very keen to get involved in 😀

Medical reports I have read have given 600 mL as the "normal" capacity, but that some individuals can hold up to one liter.  We aren't a "normal" sampling here, and unless we're in the habit of having our friends pee in measuring containers, we don't know how much they can or do hold.  If I were told that half the population of the world has never held more than 600 mL in their bladders, I'd believe it.  

That’s generally measured to a desire to void immediately, not, you know, the point of pain or loss of control. And measuring by filling relatively quickly via catheter may give somewhat lower results than what people are capable of, although they line up relatively well with voiding diaries (i.e. the largest quantity people will hold in everyday life). 

“Bladder capacity under anesthesia” (measured to a fixed pressure instead of a subjective desire to urinate) is often quoted as closer to 1L so that may be a better estimate of what people are physically capable of on average. 

Or then if you look at fetish producers who have done a lot of measurements - B2B or Sneaky etc. the average ends up being maybe 700-800ml? That probably includes some selection for models who think they can pee enough to be impressive, but honestly I think it’s not a bad guess for the upper end of what most people hold in practice, in the event that they have no choice. 

(also there are studies that capture a pretty wide range/standard deviation with the largest volumes being over 1L, or over 1.5 occasionally. For various reasons medicine may be most interested in finding out the average, but the average is only one part of the picture of the distribution)

Edited by Mister_P (see edit history)
  • 1 year later...

First, I think 500 ml is the average volume when people "really need to pee", not the absolute maximum capacity right before wetting themselves. I believe only few people would hold until that point during the experiment.

I've seen multiple posts on the (non-omo) forums about people who were desperate to pee to the point that they started leaking (e.g. in a traffic jam), then peed into a container for "almost a litre". Some even mentioned the exact amount (around 800-1000). This supports my hypothesis that the average real capacity should be around 800-1000 ml.

Second, Frequent holding helps increase the capacity, so it's natural that omo people tend to have above average capacity. In my first serious holding a decade ago, my capacity was 860 (which should be totally average). Then, after a few holds, it increased to 1000. After a decade, my capacity is now 1240.

Edited by koyukoyu (see edit history)
16 hours ago, koyukoyu said:

First, I think 500 ml is the average volume when people "really need to pee", not the absolute maximum capacity right before wetting themselves. I believe only few people would hold until that point during the experiment.

I've seen multiple posts on the (non-omo) forums about people who were desperate to pee to the point that they started leaking (e.g. in a traffic jam), then peed into a container for "almost a litre". Some even mentioned the exact amount (around 800-1000). This supports my hypothesis that the average real capacity should be around 800-1000 ml.

Second, Frequent holding helps increase the capacity, so it's natural that omo people tend to have above average capacity. In my first serious holding a decade ago, my capacity was 860 (which should be totally average). Then, after a few holds, it increased to 1000. After a decade, my capacity is now 1240.

I also think the bladder capacity is defined as the point you have strong urgent to pee not the point you start leaking. It is much less than the maximum volume you can hold.

For me, 500-600ml is that point. And 1l is the threshold that my desire to pee may overwhelm the desire to hold. I may go to the bathroom if there is one. However it is still much less than the maximum.

I once had an unintentional rapid desperation experience when I was in high school. My kidney generated excessive amount of pee into my bladder shortly after a class began. I reached 1l threshold more than 1 hour before the end of the class. For the remaining time of the class I was struggling not to wet in the class. Finally I peed at least 2min in the bathroom (4-5 people peed at the next urinal during my pee). Considering that the flow speed is usually 20-25ml per second. I actually hold more than 2l.

from what i found, all of the research that points at this uses a self-reported level of urgency as the metric. so the point where people say they feel an urgent need. i obviously don't know about this for anyone else (though i wish i did) but for me from this point to actually leaking is about double the volume. i'd say take it with a grain of salt. i'm fairly certain that at least for many women the point where we feel like we really need to go (and where if we were able and allowed to, we'd definitely go) is not even close to the point where we'd actually decide to go if we were under some sort of societal or social pressure to hold it.

@jibbyjamie

"i'm fairly certain that at least for many women the point where we feel like we really need to go (and where if we were able and allowed to, we'd definitely go) is not even close to the point where we'd actually decide to go if we were under some sort of societal or social pressure to hold it."

I've never measured my output but I think that the 500 mL is basically just what researchers have found is when people generally go to the bathroom, but it is true that you often can hold a lot longer than that, especially in the case of women who are forced to hold it. I have learned the hard way that I can hold it for a very long time even when I'm absolutely dying. I mean my job where I would regularly be holding it I would have to go after two or three hours but then would end up holding it nearly twice that long but would have gone to the bathroom much sooner if they were possible.

On 10/4/2023 at 11:21 AM, jibbyjamie said:

from what i found, all of the research that points at this uses a self-reported level of urgency as the metric. so the point where people say they feel an urgent need. i obviously don't know about this for anyone else (though i wish i did) but for me from this point to actually leaking is about double the volume. i'd say take it with a grain of salt. i'm fairly certain that at least for many women the point where we feel like we really need to go (and where if we were able and allowed to, we'd definitely go) is not even close to the point where we'd actually decide to go if we were under some sort of societal or social pressure to hold it.

I absolutely agree regarding the piont about the big difference in volume beween feeling an urge and max capacity. If i hold to the extreme i can exceed 2 litres (rather proud of that) yet can get waves of urgency in certain situations at volumes as low as 500ml. I find all this very interesting. I dont think its possible to increase my max capacity much further but have been trying to work on 'everyday capacity' i.e. increasing the volume at which i can be out and about withought showing signs of desperation. Part of the motivation is from a sort of strange solidarity with the much discussed situations in which women often find themselves where there's just no chance to go and end up having to put up with it. 

It sounds as though you've compared your own 'first urge' volume with your max capacity. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the numbers? I find it fascinating as i say.

8 hours ago, Racehorse said:

t sounds as though you've compared your own 'first urge' volume with your max capacity. I was wondering if you'd be willing to share the numbers? I find it fascinating as i say.

ive done some experimenting with this, yes.

from the top of my head, roughly:

- first urge: 200-300ml

- strong urgency where i would normally say i really need to go if i were in a place where the option were available: 400-600ml

- dying: 700-1100ml

especially that last one has a rather big margin on it.

Edited by jibbyjamie (see edit history)
9 hours ago, jibbyjamie said:

- strong urgency where i would normally say i really need to go if i were in a place where the option were available: 400-600ml

I share the same views on these number.

In addition, there still a significant margin from dying to actually wetting. It may be double of the volume, for example, more than 2L.

10 hours ago, Sudoers said:

I share the same views on these number.

In addition, there still a significant margin from dying to actually wetting. It may be double of the volume, for example, more than 2L.

i don't have an accident (usually), rather my kidneys light on fire or i experience other severe pain. i do see this as a clear sign that this is my maximum.

i strongly doubt that a maximum bladder capacity of over 1l is common, and im fairly comfortable in saying 2l is extremely rare (and probably unhealthy).

Edited by jibbyjamie (see edit history)
On 10/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, jibbyjamie said:

Thanks for answering. Very interesting.