Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Is It Always Realistic to ALWAYS Have a Bathroom at Work at All Times?

Is It Always Realistic to Have a Bathroom at Work?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Always Realistic to Have a Bathroom at Work?

• Yes every place should ALWAYS have bathroom access all the time no matter what.
    • No, sometimes there are genuinely situations where it is just not practical to always have a bathroom and you just have to hold it in order to do the job.

I thought I had started a topic like this before but I can't seem to find it and I don't think that I included a poll if I did do it before so I thought that I would just start a new topic. This is sort of in regards to my job where I often had to hold it all day because either we were outdoors in the middle of nowhere very far from a bathroom or because the bathrooms were closed for practical reasons such as Covid.

I made the poll options very polarizing and either/or because I feel that it really is an either/or question. As frustrating as I found my situation where there often wasn't a bathroom available all day I now find myself begrudgingly admitting that there are some situations where you just aren't going to always have a toilet available all the time such as where you are in the middle of nowhere and that there are some jobs that just require holding, and I really hate to admit that!

So my question here for everyone is do you think that it should be an absolute given that in any situation you should always have access to a bathroom without weight or hesitation as soon as you need it, or are there some situations where very realistically speaking you just have to be able to learn to hold it in order to get the job done?

Again my thinking has evolved on this topic over the last year where after my experience it was extremely frustrating and everything like that, but at the same time I can see the rationale about how in some situations it just wasn't realistic to always have a bathroom right there all the time everywhere you go, although I have to admit it's hard to admit that!

It’s not always possible as when your out and about you should make the most of what there is but buildings should be in line with health and safety they should have toilets, hot running water etc, although having toilets doesn’t always mean they are there to be used when you want as busy offices/meetings can make you wait longer than you want, some places restrict your visits through systems, a place a friend of mine worked they made clothing you got 2 passes a day to use outwith your lunch  hour, you handed them to the shift manager, 

1 minute ago, Wetch said:

Going to the toilet is a pretty basic human need, so I think that the employer should at least try to have toilets within reasonable reach and should have a good excuse for not providing that. On the other side there are some situations that the employer doesn't have control over, like covid, blackouts, frozen pipes etc. 

Example frozen pipes and temp under 16 degree you should be sent home as employer unable to provide minimum h & s standards,

3 minutes ago, SoBursting said:

Example frozen pipes and temp under 16 degree you should be sent home as employer unable to provide minimum h & s standards,

Yeah, that's not possible. If we have a good winter here it's below freezing from November to March, and the country can't just stop because of that. There are plenty of jobs that have to continue that is outside, even though the temp is below freezing. Some of the public toilets here actually close during winter for exactly that reason. 

@Wetch

"Going to the toilet is a pretty basic human need, so I think that the employer should at least try to have toilets within reasonable reach and should have a good excuse for not providing that. On the other side there are some situations that the employer doesn't have control over, like covid, blackouts, frozen pipes etc. "

That is what I considered in regards to my job as technically these places did have bathrooms in most cases but they were closed due to Covid, which is not the fault of the employer, but was still extremely frustrating and I am thinking, why me?! Covid really screwed me over in that regard.

2 minutes ago, Wetch said:

Yeah, that's not possible. If we have a good winter here it's below freezing from November to March, and the country can't just stop because of that. There are plenty of jobs that have to continue that is outside, even though the temp is below freezing. Some of the public toilets here actually close during winter for exactly that reason. 

Here in uk those stats are for office work I don’t know of any for working outside except at heights wind can’t be more than x but certainly no requirement to provide toilets outside unless it’s a static place of work like a building site so yea the toilet is not a high priority..

There needs to be reasonable access to facilities, but that varies by job in terms of what’s reasonable. A fixed indoor workplace like an office or factory should be expected to have easily accessible toilets on every floor, but with some outdoor, mobile or extreme conditions occupations it’s not always within the employer’s control to be able to provide one in every eventuality. There always needs to be some contingency though… a “dry land” worker probably wouldn’t take kindly to the suggestion of wearing a diaper, but astronauts and technical divers do so without too much complaint! There’s other alternative relief options beyond that, but generally easier for those with male anatomy.

@Wetch

"Yeah, that's not possible. If we have a good winter here it's below freezing from November to March, and the country can't just stop because of that. There are plenty of jobs that have to continue that is outside, even though the temp is below freezing. Some of the public toilets here actually close during winter for exactly that reason."

I'm glad that my job basically was only like a summer and nice weather type of job, but then it's an environmental survey thing where we were taking count of the plants and animals and stuff like that and in the winter everything hibernates so…

"I understand that it is really frustrating, but covid really screwed everyone over in that regard."

Actually that's the big frustrating thing, it didn't! In fact in a lot of cases it was quite the opposite, as I talked to numerous women who used to have jobs where they didn't have the greatest bathroom access but because of Covid were working at home. In fact talking to people over the course of the last year it seemed like everyone was working at home with bathrooms except for me. It was rather ironic that in the time when everybody was at home with bathrooms 5 inches away was the first time I was really out and about outdoors in the world completely without toilets and it really was maddeningly frustrating for that reason. Most people actually were getting better bathroom access but for those who relied on public bathrooms, like I suddenly found myself in ironically, it was desperation hell!

@SoBursting

"Here in uk those stats are for office work I don’t know of any for working outside except at heights wind can’t be more than x but certainly no requirement to provide toilets outside unless it’s a static place of work like a building site so yea the toilet is not a high priority.."

That was the exact situation with my job. Although a lot of these places were parked in the restrooms were simply closed due to Covid a lot of places were in the middle of the woods or out in forest regions where there just weren't any bathrooms there at any given time and that's why I have to begrudgingly admit that it wasn't realistic to provide bathrooms, of course that wasn't a problem for the guys who just peed outside which was also frustrating.

@nappypants

"There needs to be reasonable access to facilities, but that varies by job in terms of what’s reasonable. A fixed indoor workplace like an office or factory should be expected to have easily accessible toilets on every floor, but with some outdoor, mobile or extreme conditions occupations it’s not always within the employer’s control to be able to provide one in every eventuality. There always needs to be some contingency though… a “dry land” worker probably wouldn’t take kindly to the suggestion of wearing a diaper, but astronauts and technical divers do so without too much complaint! There’s other alternative relief options beyond that, but generally easier for those with male anatomy."

Amen to that! Again that's what I was sort of getting at that I was posting at the same time you posted this, the guys will always manage to find other options and this is a situation where it mostly negatively impacts on women. Outdoor jobs don't really provide an obstacle for men urinating and I think that the people who took this job or who gave this job rather expected that the people who would take a job like that are accustomed to either holding it or going outdoors.

Oh yeah, compared to those who got to work from home it really really sucks! And us guys have a better chance to just quickly take it out and relieve ourselves. Omo play is all fun and games until it becomes a real humiliating emergency, but in some cases I really don't think employers really can do anything to make it better. It's all out of their control no matter how frustrating it is. 

@Wetch

"Oh yeah, compared to those who got to work from home it really really sucks! And us guys have a better chance to just quickly take it out and relieve ourselves. Omo play is all fun and games until it becomes a real humiliating emergency, but in some cases I really don't think employers really can do anything to make it better. It's all out of their control no matter how frustrating it is."

True that's why I say I begrudgingly admit that there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it, but oh my God is it just maddening, especially when you are in this situation and you are in an omorashi community. I mean over these years I have chatted with these women who are like teachers and stuff like that and nurses who had infrequent bathroom breaks, and now a lot of these people are working at home. Really it was an entire year where it seems like everybody was working at home EXCEPT for me in the total opposite situation of where I used to be. It's like everybody is relaxing and going to the bathroom whenever they want at home and meanwhile I am out there in the field of my legs crossed dying for a bathroom all day and being constantly reminded about how everybody else's at home getting to go whenever they want. It's truly maddening like you can't even begin to imagine. And yes the guys were able to go to the bathroom all day long, so my other pet peeve in regards to desperation was fulfilled as well.

It may be a biased viewpoint but I’m all for the normalisation of absorbent products (if they’re good enough for NASA and SpaceX…) - if you’re not an enthusiast like some of us are, just think of them as something functional! It’s only potty-training propaganda that makes people object. Though I’m talking strictly #1 purposes only, of course, you wouldn’t want to be using them for the other function and going about your day, fair enough…

There's plenty of jobs where frequent bathroom access is simply impossible. Start with truckers, bus drivers, traffic flaggers, linemen... I can probably write a whole page. If you take any of these jobs you know ahead that there will be many days where you will have to hold for hours, it's a part of the job environment.

I feel like the whole discussion applies to just a few fields like office workers, food service etc. there having frequent bathroom access at all times is at least an option.

@SpaceWonderer

"There's plenty of jobs where frequent bathroom access is simply impossible. Start with truckers, bus drivers, traffic flaggers, linemen... I can probably write a whole page. If you take any of these jobs you know ahead that there will be many days where you will have to hold for hours, it's a part of the job environment.

I feel like the whole discussion applies to just a few fields like office workers, food service etc. there having frequent bathroom access at all times is at least an option."

True and it seems that 71% of the people have answered the polls so far would agree with that, that it's not always realistic to have a bathroom in a lot of situations. And yet at the same time it seems like when you are in that situation yourself, where you are not with a bathroom, it seems like everybody else does have a bathroom. I mean maybe it's just because of Covid a lot of people are working at home like never before, but when you are out in the field it seems like everybody else honestly isn't. In the one year where I had my outdoors field job it seemed like everybody I was talking to was telling me about how they were working from home or how they were taking a bathroom break, so it feels like these jobs are a lot more rare than you would think.

Once again I am not disagreeing, I fully agree with the majority of people who have taken this poll, I realize now it's simply not realistic to have a bathroom in the situation I found myself in, I think it still just kind of hard getting over the fact of being the one who is doing without while everybody else seems like they are a little bit more lucky in the potty department! I don't think I will ever look at field workers the same way again after this.

7 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

@SpaceWonderer

Once again I am not disagreeing, I fully agree with the majority of people who have taken this poll, I realize now it's simply not realistic to have a bathroom in the situation I found myself in, I think it still just kind of hard getting over the fact of being the one who is doing without while everybody else seems like they are a little bit more lucky in the potty department! I don't think I will ever look at field workers the same way again after this.

I've had jobs with rare restroom opportunities before and have one now where I get to use the restroom only once or twice through the day. Tbh it never really bothered me much, I knew it's a job condition when I was applying and I don't have hard feelings over it. Most of the days I get to a mildly desperate state when I get to go pee, some days I hold at least once until my bladder aches. Surely I could take a different job, but it likely would come with other annoyances, and holding my bladder a bit longer than comfortable isn't the one that bothers me most lol.

@SpaceWonderer

"I've had jobs with rare restroom opportunities before and have one now where I get to use the restroom only once or twice through the day. Tbh it never really bothered me much, I knew it's a job condition when I was applying and I don't have hard feelings over it. Most of the days I get to a mildly desperate state when I get to go pee, some days I hold at least once until my bladder aches. Surely I could take a different job, but it likely would come with other annoyances, and holding my bladder a bit longer than comfortable isn't the one that bothers me most lol."

Exactly, it was a great job other than the bathroom situation. But the thing that was especially terrible for me though was the fact that I had once actively mocked people in situations like that before and thought they were crazy, all from the time of being at home working from home my entire life always with a toilet there, and then I went from that into like the deepest depths of female desperation situations while at work. And the thing that bothers me more than anything is not so much as the fact that I had to go to the bathroom all day, but the fact that I knew others were getting to go, that's what really kind of drove me crazy.

Like one thing I was just saying to someone in chat right now was the one thing that really drove me crazy is sort of like when I was in a park situation, and I was interacting with other women in the park, who might have had to go to the bathroom but they were able to leave the park to go to the bathroom and then come back later, where as I was still stuck in the park. So it might be the case where I was chatting with a woman, she would go home and use the bathroom and then come back and we would continue interacting, and it's like we both know that I didn't use the bathroom and she did and we are both not saying it but I think that we are both thinking it and it just makes you want to strangle the other person! But of course you don't, you just keep crossing your legs and smiling politely...

"Like one thing I was just saying to someone in chat right now was the one thing that really drove me crazy is sort of like when I was in a park situation, and I was interacting with other women in the park, who might have had to go to the bathroom but they were able to leave the park to go to the bathroom and then come back later, where as I was still stuck in the park."

In a situation like this I think that the employer should have granted you to leave the park if that was an opportunity to go to the toilet. Like, if there is a toilet a 15 minute walk from where you are working it should be ok to just take that time to avoid a painful hold, or even an embarassing accident. 

But I bet someone would also take that opportunity to leave the workstation just to be able to not work for half an hour, and then ruin the chance for everyone.. 

@Wetch

"In a situation like this I think that the employer should have granted you to leave the park if that was an opportunity to go to the toilet. Like, if there is a toilet a 15 minute walk from where you are working it should be ok to just take that time to avoid a painful hold, or even an embarassing accident.
But I bet someone would also take that opportunity to leave the workstation just to be able to not work for half an hour, and then ruin the chance for everyone.."

We are supposed to remain on site for the duration of the workday and we are supposed to use the bathrooms available there, however the park bathrooms were closed due to Covid so there wasn't the possibility of that. The other girls that I was chatting within the park of course weren't obligated to stay there so they were able to go home and they came back like a half hour or an hour later and then we continued talking, but there was an especially frustrating aspect to the fact that I knew they went to the bathroom and they knew that I did and yet they are still chatting me up and everything like that and I think that they found it vaguely amusing.

To me that is another one of the more difficult things to do, interacting with people in your bladder is full and you know they have gotten relief, it always makes you feel in sort of an inferior position. Even if they aren't taking advantage of the fact that you have to go to the bathroom there is sort of that unconscious knowledge between you that Hahah this girl didn't get to pee. Again most people probably aren't thinking on those terms but at the same time I know that I am certainly thinking about it!

Think about it in these terms, if you went to a park and you were chatting with a woman who said that she hadn't gone to the bathroom all day, you leave the park for a half hour or an hour and go to the bathroom and come back and you know she still hasn't gone to the bathroom what thoughts would be going through YOUR head?! Again most of the people in the park probably weren't into omorashi and they probably weren't thinking about it that much, but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

But again that's one of the issues that I had with the whole situation altogether, if I didn't have this thing for omorashi I probably wouldn't have fixated on the situation so much, but once again it sort of like a perfect storm, you have a woman whose obsessive with omorashi being put into a situation where she is constantly desperate and how could I not be thinking about that constantly? As a couple of people have told me, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person, which is easy for them to say as they aren't the ones holding their bladder all day!

I see what you mean, and it must be hard to hold your pee for the entire day. Or unhealthy if you choose to solve the situation by not drinking and becoming dehydrated instead. 

But that's what I mean by the employer have a responsibility to at least try to give their employees with the opportunity to go to the toilet. Your normally ment to stay in the park, but when those are closed they should grant you permission to leave the park if there is a toilet in reasonable distance. That being said, if the park-toilets are closed there would be a big possibility that the nearby toilets outside the park would be closed to.. 

I think that, as others have said, going to the bathroom is a basic human need and right, so facilities *should* be provided, for the sake of everyone's morale. Not only for the sanity of the workers, but for the benefit of the business, as people are obviously not going to do their jobs as well when they physically uncomfortable. Productivity and worker satisfaction will take a huge hit if people can't attend to their basic needs.

It's also unfair to people with medical conditions to not offer bathrooms, or for those who are pregnant or menstruating, for instance. These people may need more bathroom access than the average person, or may have hygenic concerns with which to address. 

I do understand that not every workplace is equipped to provide adequate bathrooms, but that should be discussed in the onboarding with the employee beforehand, and accommodations should be offered if possible to account for the individual's needs. For example, it should be understood that a person may have to leave the work site to find a bathroom if one is not provided and this should not be held against them.

It seems to me though, that workplaces in general are not compassionate to the workers' needs, and will consider it your problem if you need accommodation of any kind and tell you to work someplace else if you can't handle what's being expected of you, and thus hire someone else who can. So if they can't provide accommodation for something so basic and universal, they should at least provide a warning so those who aren't up to the task can still back out. 

6 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@SpaceWonderer

Like one thing I was just saying to someone in chat right now was the one thing that really drove me crazy is sort of like when I was in a park situation, and I was interacting with other women in the park, who might have had to go to the bathroom but they were able to leave the park to go to the bathroom and then come back later, where as I was still stuck in the park. So it might be the case where I was chatting with a woman, she would go home and use the bathroom and then come back and we would continue interacting, and it's like we both know that I didn't use the bathroom and she did and we are both not saying it but I think that we are both thinking it ...

Have you considered possibility that we're thinking do much about it only because it relates to our kink, and you were thinking about it more because it directly affected you?

I bet most people who aren't into omo really don't overthink such situations, and most likely your coworker not only didn't think much about her using restroom while you have to hold, but I place my bet that most of the days she didn't even remember it because it wasn't relevant to her day or her interests.

@Wetch

"I see what you mean, and it must be hard to hold your pee for the entire day. Or unhealthy if you choose to solve the situation by not drinking and becoming dehydrated instead."

I didn't the I dried myself but I definitely watched my liquid intake but even just sipping water here and there I still found myself having to go pretty badly for the second half of the day for the most part and by the end of the day I was basically always bursting at the seams.

"But that's what I mean by the employer have a responsibility to at least try to give their employees with the opportunity to go to the toilet. Your normally ment to stay in the park, but when those are closed they should grant you permission to leave the park if there is a toilet in reasonable distance. That being said, if the park-toilets are closed there would be a big possibility that the nearby toilets outside the park would be closed to.."

This is true, toilets tend to be closed everywhere but it seemed like especially in parks they either closed the bathroom or they didn't open them until later in the day when we had already left. But yeah often these places were in the middle of nowhere so it would be sort of a big inconvenience to have to leave every time somebody needed to use the bathroom, so I get that it's not always convenient but it was still rather frustrating holding it all day.

@AlwaysOmo

"Not only for the sanity of the workers, but for the benefit of the business, as people are obviously not going to do their jobs as well when they physically uncomfortable. Productivity and worker satisfaction will take a huge hit if people can't attend to their basic needs."

True, although in that context me and my other female coworkers didn't seem to be doing any worse at our job as a result of having to go to the bathroom, and as much is I hate to admit it I do remember reading a study that showed that people were more efficient and made better decisions when and a full bladder, so maybe it actually helps your productivity because you are so focused on holding it and you want to get the job done as quickly as possible and focus on the task at hand to distract yourself from your bladder good one of the bad things about the job was that there was a lot of downtime so there wasn't as much to distract from the fact that I really needed to pee so it was actually good when we were being busy and everything like that because then you just have to tell your bladder to shut up and focus on the task at hand, and it's amazing how you can actually ignore that to some degree under those circumstances, so I think that we deserve special credit for managing to be productive, efficient and polite under those circumstances.

"I do understand that not every workplace is equipped to provide adequate bathrooms, but that should be discussed in the onboarding with the employee beforehand, and accommodations should be offered if possible to account for the individual's needs. For example, it should be understood that a person may have to leave the work site to find a bathroom if one is not provided and this should not be held against them.

It seems to me though, that workplaces in general are not compassionate to the workers' needs, and will consider it your problem if you need accommodation of any kind and tell you to work someplace else if you can't handle what's being expected of you, and thus hire someone else who can. So if they can't provide accommodation for something so basic and universal, they should at least provide a warning so those who aren't up to the task can still back out."

To be fair they did kind of provide a warning but it sort of came after I accepted the job when all of the sudden it occurred to me what do you do about a bathroom in a situation like that and I asked about that and they said that you should bring your own toilet paper implying that in a lot of places it might make sense to just go to the bathroom outdoors, figuring that people who took a job like that would probably use to going to the bathroom outdoors. In my naïveté I assume that there would be always be a bathroom everywhere. Of course this was also before Covid and they said that most of these places would have bathrooms on the site itself, but of course that changed because Covid involve the closing of many public bathrooms, especially in places like parks and all the places that we usually went, so we pretty much got screwed over in that regard. Like I said the timing was just the absolute worst in my case, if not for Covid I might not have had all of these experiences, which is why think I'm going to call my bathroom memoir Woman Desperately Seeking Bathroom in Times of Covid.

But you are right that I think that most employers consider it to be your own problem. Like I think a lot of them are just ignorant of the conditions on site as they sort of assumed that there would be bathrooms and one day when we said that there were is no bathrooms and explained like on the final day of the van, they seemed genuinely baffled by the fact that we didn't have bathroom access but they also did not seem especially concerned like, oh well if the bathroom was closed I guess you just won't use the bathroom as though it's no big deal. Once again I think that in a lot of situations people just expect women to do without the bathroom.

@SpaceWonderer

"Have you considered possibility that we're thinking do much about it only because it relates to our kink, and you were thinking about it more because it directly affected you?

I bet most people who aren't into omo really don't overthink such situations, and most likely your coworker not only didn't think much about her using restroom while you have to hold, but I place my bet that most of the days she didn't even remember it because it wasn't relevant to her day or her interests."

Absolutely it's because of my kink that I was completely fixated on bathrooms. I mean I am sure that my coworkers I know they found it annoying but I guess that except when they were in that situation they probably never thought about it. They didn't go to sleep that night thinking I didn't go to the bathroom all day the way I did. Again a lot of people said that this was the perfect person for something like this to happen to you because I was already obsessed and fixated on bathrooms or to put me in a situation like that gives me a unique perspective on that, but I think that it made it so much worse because when you are a person who is obsessed with bathroom access and always finding where the bathrooms are to be in a constant state without a bathroom like that how can it not obsessive your mind?

While it is not uncommon for the average woman to find herself desperate often I think that very few actually think about it except when it happens to be in that moment. I think that when most people go to the bathroom they stop thinking about it until the next time you have to go to the bathroom. I know that the average woman doesn't get as much consideration to the bathroom as I do that's for sure. So yes I am definitely overly fixated on it and almost entirely due to the kink aspect of it, but also having to deal with the practical implications on top of that just made it sort of like a perfect storm.