Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

The Problem With Bathroom Scarcity: When There Is a Bathroom but There Isn't Enough so That There Technically Isn't One

I was thinking of this in regards to the other thread about the girl denied to go to the bathroom where I mentioned, as I have in numerous posts before, the situation in my high school where they locked all of the girls bathrooms but one. In this case they had one bathroom on one floor with five stalls to service about 750 girls with only four minutes between class, and you usually weren't allowed to go during class at the discretion of the teacher. So while some may have been fortunate to be able to use the bathroom here and there, on a general basis the majority of girls weren't getting to go to the bathroom the majority of the time.

This is a situation that I call bathroom scarcity, and I think that it's something that affects pretty much every woman encounters at one point or another. The way I see it this is a situation where they may technically provide you with a bathroom but because of the volume of people who need to use it versus the availability of bathrooms it's just not realistic to use it in any given amount of time or under the circumstances. So while yes they technically do have a bathroom available for women in that situation, your chances of using it are pretty much slim to none unless you get lucky, so it's pretty much the same as having a bathroom but not having one.

I am wondering if anyone here can relate to this situation of being in a place where they technically do have a bathroom available but because of the lack of capacity or some other reason or lack of time to use it that is simply not realistic for you to use the bathroom, so it's pretty much the same as being without one altogether.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was thinking of this in regards to the other thread about the girl denied to go to the bathroom where I mentioned, as I have in numerous posts before, the situation in my high school where they lock

@DesperateQueue I suppose I hadn't taken into consideration how long it would take each girl to use the bathroom but I would say it would take a minute or two per girl so I would think that at ma

The bottom line is that it is sad that we’re having to talk about long bathroom lines period (boys or girls) in countries such as the United States and Canada.  If we have problems here, I would think

Yeah Jill it's so true I agree with you, and until very recently I think architects used to just look at the number of washrooms available instead of number of stalls, until "potty parity" was an issue and laws were made to force builders to make larger womens' washrooms.

Sometimes I keep see bad decisions made by the people in charge and it's exactly as you say, and I think maybe they were being cheap or stupid.

For example, they converted a men's washroom into a women's washroom at a building in my school, and I agree it was a good decision in theory because there were barely any women's washrooms in the area so the idea was good. But that men's washroom only had 2 toilet stalls and like 10 urinals. I remember having a class down the hall the custodian in charge took a sledgehammer to destroy all the urinals and replace the men's sign with a women's toilet sign.

But in the end it just confused everyone, there was a big women's washroom maybe a 10 minute walk away but now all the women thought that this 2 toilet stall washroom was the only one available and there were huge lines of women to the toilets, to the point where the women's toilet lines were blocking the way to the classrooms yikes. Thank goodness the school got a giant grant nowadays, they built a new building next to it and the women's washroom had 50+ toilet stalls for a 500-student sized lecture. And it's what you said, in school environments there's barely any time to use it if there's a line.

11 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

I was thinking of this in regards to the other thread about the girl denied to go to the bathroom where I mentioned, as I have in numerous posts before, the situation in my high school where they locked all of the girls bathrooms but one. In this case they had one bathroom on one floor with five stalls to service about 750 girls with only four minutes between class, and you usually weren't allowed to go during class at the discretion of the teacher. So while some may have been fortunate to be able to use the bathroom here and there, on a general basis the majority of girls weren't getting to go to the bathroom the majority of the time.

This is a situation that I call bathroom scarcity, and I think that it's something that affects pretty much every woman encounters at one point or another. The way I see it this is a situation where they may technically provide you with a bathroom but because of the volume of people who need to use it versus the availability of bathrooms it's just not realistic to use it in any given amount of time or under the circumstances. So while yes they technically do have a bathroom available for women in that situation, your chances of using it are pretty much slim to none unless you get lucky, so it's pretty much the same as having a bathroom but not having one.

I am wondering if anyone here can relate to this situation of being in a place where they technically do have a bathroom available but because of the lack of capacity or some other reason or lack of time to use it that is simply not realistic for you to use the bathroom, so it's pretty much the same as being without one altogether.

It’s possible that they may have closed those other bathrooms not so much to punish the entire student body for the actions of a select few as much as it was to keep students save from getting involved with drugs, rape, or other things in those bathrooms.  It’s still a bad situation though when the schools feel that they have to shut down the majority of the bathrooms to keep students save.  I think if they have to do that, then, they should have modified the restroom policy to give students more time between classes to go to the bathroom, or more of an opportunity to go during class.  If the concern is not allowing students to use the restroom during class out of a concern of “safety”, that is one thing, but there should be some way to keep the bathrooms monitored at all times (at least the main bathrooms) to keep students safe.

It’s not hard to see the potential consequences of closing down all the girls bathrooms except for one.  First of all, with only one bathroom open instead of three or however many bathrooms your school had, that means any girl that needs to use the restroom needs to go to that one restroom, which is likely “out of the way” for many students.  Secondly, because that is the only bathroom and all the girls have to use that one bathroom, there is very likely to be a line for that one bathroom.  And if you’re not allowed to be late to class, and not allowed to use the bathroom during class, that means that you pretty much need to have your previous class be right next to the one bathroom that is not locked, and you need to go straight from that class to the bathroom when class is dismissed to have any chance at all to use the bathroom before the line builds up.  With 750 girls in your scenario, 5 toilets in the one girls bathroom, and only 4 minutes between classes, you can make some reasonable assumptions.  One is that it typically takes a girl at least one minute to use the stall (and that’s assuming they only have to pee and don’t need to take much time to pull pants up and down).  As a result, I figure that you can get 3 girls MAXIMUM per stall in a 4 minute passing period if they are all to pee and get to class on time (and even 3 girls per stall within 4 minutes might be optimistic).  So by doing basic math, that means 5 times 3 is a MAXIMUM of 15 girls (out of 750 girls) that would get a chance to wait in line (if there is a line, which there is very likely to be), pee, and get to class on time.  That’s 2% of the student girl population.  Now, not necessarily every girl will need to use the bathroom at every break, but you have to assume that at any given break at least 5% of the student girl population (and possibly 10% or more) will need to pee, with some girls being more desperate than others.  Anyway, we’re looking at 5% that need to pee, and only 2% get to pee, so what happens?  At the next break, that 5% becomes at least 8% (the 3% that didn’t get to go at the previous break, plus a new 5%).  And then the cycle repeats for another class period or two, and the lines get progressively longer at each break, until lunch time where at that point MAYBE all the girls that need to pee will FINALLY get a chance to pee, but if they have to pee, they may not have a chance to pee AND eat lunch (especially if there is a line at the bathroom, and then in the lunch line as well).  The  end result is that although technically there is one bathroom available, in reality, if only one of the three girls bathrooms is open, it’s almost the equivalent of having no bathrooms open if that one bathroom always has a line, because your only chance to use the bathroom between classes and not be late is to be the one of the first 4 or 5 girls in the bathroom before the line builds up.

On the other hand, if all the bathrooms were open, there are probably three possible bathrooms for the girls to use, and although I may not necessarily know how many stalls are in the other bathrooms, it would mean that the student body 750 girls could choose the “closest” of the three bathrooms (or the one least likely to have a line), which means that the overall length of the line in any one of three bathrooms (if there is a line) is likely to be significantly shorter.  So girls are less likely to have to go out of there way to go to the only bathroom that is open, and also less likely to encounter a long line.

I know this situation happened over 20 years ago, but I do not believe schools would be able to get away with such a strict bathroom policy and so few bathrooms open if there’s always a line nowadays.  However, I do wonder how many restrooms or stalls have need to be closed down nowadays because of concerns of covid-19.

Edited by DesperateQueue (see edit history)

@John

"Jill it's so true I agree with you, and until very recently I think architects used to just look at the number of washrooms available instead of number of stalls, until "potty parity" was an issue and laws were made to force builders to make larger womens' washrooms."

Yes what you mentioned was the perfect example there will be an equal number of washrooms but then the men's room will have an entire wall full of urinals in addition to the stalls so that you will have maybe two stalls for women and two stalls and 10 urinals for men and that will be considered equal even though men have six times as many places to go and women take twice as long so inevitably the line would be 12 times as long, or as to say there is going to be a very long line for the women and probably none for the men in most cases.

"Sometimes I keep see bad decisions made by the people in charge and it's exactly as you say, and I think maybe they were being cheap or stupid."

I think a lot of problems come down to people just being cheap and stupid in general, although I can see it from the callous standpoint of a person building a bathroom. Seeing as every place has an adequate number of restrooms for women there is no incentive to provide more because there is no competition for providing more bathrooms. So if I go to a place in the restroom line for women is just astonishing and abysmal I would probably still keep going to that place because it's the same everywhere so you kind of are forced to just put up with it if you want to go out in public places and stuff like that, particularly in crowded places where there are often toilets available but such a large number of people needing to use them that nobody is going to be able to use them without an astonishing wait, and a lot of the time you simply cannot wait around for a half hour just to use a toilet which means that you have to hold it.

"For example, they converted a men's washroom into a women's washroom at a building in my school, and I agree it was a good decision in theory because there were barely any women's washrooms in the area so the idea was good. But that men's washroom only had 2 toilet stalls and like 10 urinals. I remember having a class down the hall the custodian in charge took a sledgehammer to destroy all the urinals and replace the men's sign with a women's toilet sign."

Which is exactly why I feel that unisex would probably end up shortchanging women as urinals are cheaper and more efficient even though they can only be used by half the population. So I could well see if they went unisex them having a bathroom with two stalls where you have women and men alike sharing those two stalls while the men have the option of 10 urinals and you can see what a catastrophe that would be for the women, but I could definitely see something like that happening, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, and the thing is that women would probably just accept it as normal because we already use to holding all the time like that while the men are used to going without wait. That is why I think it takes so long for these things to change, it's been the case for so long that people just accept it as normal no matter how inconvenient, frustrating, unfair and infuriating it might be.

To me this strikes at the heart of the point I was making about toilet scarcity where you can have 12 places for the men to pee and two places for the women to pee and women are expected to make do for that and if they complain people say that we are just taking too long, but if men didn't have any toilets like that or if women had six times as many toilets you can bet that the men would be complaining and probably rioting over that. But I think that once again it sort of conditioning, women are conditioned to wait where men are accustomed to the privilege of being able to go without having the slightest delay in pretty much any situation, and just because it has always been like that everybody accepts it as normal.

I have to admit until I got on the Internet and heard about potty parity I always just assumed the ladies room line was our fault as well, and I would be getting frustrated at other women rather than the men who didn't give us enough bathrooms and I think that most women tend to have that attitude, that it's our fault not the architects fault.

@DesperateQueue

"If the concern is not allowing students to use the restroom during class out of a concern of “safety”, that is one thing, but there should be some way to keep the bathrooms monitored at all times (at least the main bathrooms) to keep students safe."

Well that was the logic that they were using. They kept the girls bathroom on the first floor open because it was directly across from the nurse's room so the nurse could see right into the bathroom at all times and what was going on to make sure that none of the girls were hiding drugs and alcohol in the bathroom. The reason that they closed the bathrooms on the second and third floor was because they couldn't be so easily monitored seem to be the logic that was prevailing.

But you did the math perfectly, that was about one stall for every 150 girls so about only maybe five of them could go between classes or maybe only one in every 30 girls would be able to go needed to go at any given time which once again means that the majority of those girls must have been holding it the majority of the day.
Even when all three of the bathrooms was open that was still only one stall for every 50 girls which was a little bit more tolerable but still was rather inadequate when it really came down to it. Even prior to them locking all of them but one I would frequently have to go several periods before I could get to go without a line which is why I tried to go between every class. My guy friends always laugh because I would always bolt the second the class was over and always try to use the bathroom between every class but they didn't realize that if there was a line it simply meant that sometimes you would have to hold and hold and hold until you got the opportunity whereas the guys never had that problem as I never once saw a line for the boys bathroom.

And that was the thing that was especially frustrating about that scenario was the fact that all of the boys bathrooms were open and each boys bathroom had at least 10 places to pee between stalls and urinals. So while the girls had to make do with five stalls the guys had 30 places to go so they had six times as many places to go and that was the thing that was truly infuriating, it was something that really only affected the girls. The second-year they eventually closed the boys bathroom for a similar reason but even then they still had twice as many places to go and I never heard any guys complaining that they had a hard time getting to the bathroom.

What I did pretty much was that I ended up waiting until lunch to go during those years when they closed all of the bathrooms. I would always try to go to the bathroom on the first floor whenever I passed it but otherwise I would have to wait until lunch by which time I would normally be bursting. I never ate lunch at school because I found the idea of eating lunch at school rather disgusting so I really didn't bother me as much that I had to wait 20 minutes at lunch just use the bathroom, but it still was rather annoying just because I had to go so bad by then.

"I know this situation happened over 20 years ago, but I do not believe schools would be able to get away with such a strict bathroom policy and so few bathrooms open if there’s always a line nowadays.  However, I do wonder how many restrooms or stalls have need to be closed down nowadays because of concerns of covid-19."
I heard that after I left that schools the drug problem got even worse so it wouldn't surprise me if similar policies were still in place. Again I feel that it's pretty common to deny women toilets or to have a severe lack of toilets resulting in the situation I described above at my school. I think that for time immemorial there have always been lines for the girls bathrooms between class and I think that most women just seem to accept it as normal and I think that few people complain about it. You see a line and you wait and it because that's just sort of what you do and if you don't you wait a couple of periods before you get to go. I don't think that anyone seriously questioned it back in high school, even I didn't really start to seriously question it until after the fact years later.

As I have said in numerous posts of mine as a result of my job I often ended up holding it simply because the bathrooms were closed due to Covid so I suspect that Covid has made this problem much worse rather than better, particularly for women needing to find a bathroom in times of need.

@DesperateJill

As you mentioned that there was roughly one stall per 150 girls (based on saying that there were 5 stalls for 750 girls) when only one bathroom was open, I’m am curious how many girls do you think could use a single stall within a 4-minute passing period.  Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you were implying that 5 girls could use each stall in a 4 minute passing period (meaning 25 girls out of 750, or 1 out of every 30 girls), and I’m not sure how, because I thought it took each girl at least a minimum of a minute to pee, and I would think given that logic, that a maximum of three girls could use each stall within a 4 minute break when you factor in transition time to and from class to get to the bathroom, and even that may be optomistic.  So assuming that’s correct, that would be 3 girls times 5 stalls, meaning only 15 out of 750 girls get to pee at any given break, which translates to 1 out of every 50 girls, or 2%.  Even if all three bathrooms were open, you’re still looking at a maximum of 45 out of 750 girls getting to pee at any given break.  Of course, if the boys bathrooms had 30 places to pee, you could conceivably see 90 boys getting a chance to pee (maybe even more, because it usually doesn’t take boys as long to pee as girls).

@DesperateQueue

I suppose I hadn't taken into consideration how long it would take each girl to use the bathroom but I would say it would take a minute or two per girl so I would think that at maximum maybe 10 girls could use the bathroom each time between classes. You are right it probably would be less than 2% making it a very dire situation.

I can say from experience that if there were more girls than there were stalls you probably weren't going to get to go if you still wanted to make it to class on time. Generally speaking if I went into the bathroom and there were five girls and there I would pretty much just shake my head and be like forget it I will just have to hope for better luck next time, and that was even before they only had the one bathroom open.

And you are right I had never once in my life seen any type of wait at the boys room, not even once, and asking my guy friends about it they said that there was never any line in the boys bathroom. Boys were pretty much guaranteed to be able to go to the bathroom between every single class if needed whereas girls would pretty much only get to go if they were lucky.

Now that I think back to it when someone was asking the teacher to use the bathroom it was almost always a girl and she was almost always told no, she should go between class.

So once again right here we had a major double standard where boys were always guaranteed relief whenever they needed it whereas girls just had to get lucky. I am thinking that I must not have been the only girl who ended up holding it for much of the day. Even before they closed the other two girls bathrooms I think that the situation was pretty terrible. Basically guys always got to go and girls you either were first in line or you were pretty much out of luck more or less.

And once again I don't think that this is true just in school, as I think it's true in a lot of places, where because of the longer amount of time it takes women to use the bathroom compounded by far fewer toilets it is usually the case where men can always go to the bathroom in almost all situations where toilets are available where as women it's more a matter of luck or only if you have a half hour to kill.

Again this is even more dire in situations where there is a limited amount of time to use the bathroom. In a situation where there is only a short time to use the bathroom even a large group of men can usually relieve themselves while only a small number of women can do likewise, so that's why when I say that there is bathroom scarcity I do say it's pretty much in a lot of cases the equivalent of almost not having a female bathroom whatsoever.

And again I think that this is normal, not just in school, but throughout all of society, and I think that most people just accepted it as normal and never really even seem to think about this situation. Even when I ask other women about the situation many seem to have a casual attitude of that's just the way it is even when some of them said that they would just love to have a bathroom.

Once again it's crazy what we accept as normal isn't it?

14 minutes ago, DesperateJill said:

@DesperateQueue

I suppose I hadn't taken into consideration how long it would take each girl to use the bathroom but I would say it would take a minute or two per girl so I would think that at maximum maybe 10 girls could use the bathroom each time between classes. You are right it probably would be less than 2% making it a very dire situation.

I can say from experience that if there were more girls than there were stalls you probably weren't going to get to go if you still wanted to make it to class on time. Generally speaking if I went into the bathroom and there were five girls and there I would pretty much just shake my head and be like forget it I will just have to hope for better luck next time, and that was even before they only had the one bathroom open.

And you are right I had never once in my life seen any type of wait at the boys room, not even once, and asking my guy friends about it they said that there was never any line in the boys bathroom. Boys were pretty much guaranteed to be able to go to the bathroom between every single class if needed whereas girls would pretty much only get to go if they were lucky.

Now that I think back to it when someone was asking the teacher to use the bathroom it was almost always a girl and she was almost always told no, she should go between class.

So once again right here we had a major double standard where boys were always guaranteed relief whenever they needed it whereas girls just had to get lucky. I am thinking that I must not have been the only girl who ended up holding it for much of the day. Even before they closed the other two girls bathrooms I think that the situation was pretty terrible. Basically guys always got to go and girls you either were first in line or you were pretty much out of luck more or less.

And once again I don't think that this is true just in school, as I think it's true in a lot of places, where because of the longer amount of time it takes women to use the bathroom compounded by far fewer toilets it is usually the case where men can always go to the bathroom in almost all situations where toilets are available where as women it's more a matter of luck or only if you have a half hour to kill.

Again this is even more dire in situations where there is a limited amount of time to use the bathroom. In a situation where there is only a short time to use the bathroom even a large group of men can usually relieve themselves while only a small number of women can do likewise, so that's why when I say that there is bathroom scarcity I do say it's pretty much in a lot of cases the equivalent of almost not having a female bathroom whatsoever.

And again I think that this is normal, not just in school, but throughout all of society, and I think that most people just accepted it as normal and never really even seem to think about this situation. Even when I ask other women about the situation many seem to have a casual attitude of that's just the way it is even when some of them said that they would just love to have a bathroom.

Once again it's crazy what we accept as normal isn't it?

Yeah, it is kind of crazy, and probably worse due to covid.

But if I was in your situation that you described in your school scenario, if I really was a girl and that desperate to pee between classes and encountered a line, I would consider waiting in line and peeing even if it meant being a couple minutes late, because if enough girls did that, maybe the teachers and administration would get the message that this bathroom situation just isn’t working.

Otherwise, the only real way around the problem for the girls is to go to the bathroom before school, at lunch, and after school, and hope that’s good enough to where you don’t have to pee at any other time during the school day.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, DesperateJill said:

Yes. This is was the case during most my cross-country races in high school. There would be the one bathroom in the park with like 4 stalls. But, with an invitational, there would be close to 300-600 people at the park-- just counting the students in the race alone. You tell me, where did we end up peeing 😏

@DesperateQueue

"But if I was in your situation that you described in your school scenario, if I really was a girl and that desperate to pee between classes and encountered a line, I would consider waiting in line and peeing even if it meant being a couple minutes late, because if enough girls did that, maybe the teachers and administration would get the message that this bathroom situation just isn’t working."

Plenty of girls were late to class all the time and at the time I hadn't even thought that maybe it was because they were going to the bathroom, but the teacher never asked why they were late simply just gives them a demerit for being late and that is all there is to it, so the teachers wouldn't even necessarily know that they were late because they were going to the bathroom.

And definitely towards the end of the day especially it looked like a lot of the girls in class were getting antsy.

I have to admit something I often think of when I look back on my high school thing is that we all like to think that we'd be revolutionaries and that we would take some type of a stand, but as far as I knew there were never any administrative companions and that every girl just sort of accepted the situation as normal and just dealt with it in their own way.

I was always kind of like the teacher's pet and wasn't excessively good student so I would never even think of being late and I would end up holding it for hours and being really uncomfortable but to me that was the lesser evil than being late to class, and I think that some people might've enjoyed seeing that because it was humbling seeing the teacher's pet having to deal with mortal concerns like that.

Same thing at my job where I said anyone who would put up with a situation like that was crazy and what do I do when I find myself in that situation, I just crossed my legs smile politely and hold it all day.

Once again most of us would like to think that we would be the revolutionaries but at the end of the day most of us are pretty complacent with situations no matter how unfair they happen to be, especially when we are young in high school and are under the authority of other people all the time. That is just sort of the normal thing when you are a teenager.

@Wet Twink

"Yes. This is was the case during most my cross-country races in high school. There would be the one bathroom in the park with like 4 stalls. But, with an invitational, there would be close to 300-600 people at the park-- just counting the students in the race alone. You tell me, where did we end up peeing"

For stalls for 600 people is pretty much the exact same situation in my high school, one stall for every 150 girls more or less. And again people consider this to be normal and think that people have bathrooms when there is no possibility of most people using them but I guess because they figure they give some bare minimum they feel that they have done no wrong.

And it must be even crazier when all of those people were running a race like that, I suspect a lot of them were running because they were getting ready to spring towards the bathroom at the end!

9 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@DesperateQueue

"But if I was in your situation that you described in your school scenario, if I really was a girl and that desperate to pee between classes and encountered a line, I would consider waiting in line and peeing even if it meant being a couple minutes late, because if enough girls did that, maybe the teachers and administration would get the message that this bathroom situation just isn’t working."

Plenty of girls were late to class all the time and at the time I hadn't even thought that maybe it was because they were going to the bathroom, but the teacher never asked why they were late simply just gives them a demerit for being late and that is all there is to it, so the teachers wouldn't even necessarily know that they were late because they were going to the bathroom.

And definitely towards the end of the day especially it looked like a lot of the girls in class were getting antsy.

I have to admit something I often think of when I look back on my high school thing is that we all like to think that we'd be revolutionaries and that we would take some type of a stand, but as far as I knew there were never any administrative companions and that every girl just sort of accepted the situation as normal and just dealt with it in their own way.

I was always kind of like the teacher's pet and wasn't excessively good student so I would never even think of being late and I would end up holding it for hours and being really uncomfortable but to me that was the lesser evil than being late to class, and I think that some people might've enjoyed seeing that because it was humbling seeing the teacher's pet having to deal with mortal concerns like that.

Same thing at my job where I said anyone who would put up with a situation like that was crazy and what do I do when I find myself in that situation, I just crossed my legs smile politely and hold it all day.

Once again most of us would like to think that we would be the revolutionaries but at the end of the day most of us are pretty complacent with situations no matter how unfair they happen to be, especially when we are young in high school and are under the authority of other people all the time. That is just sort of the normal thing when you are a teenager.

@Wet Twink

"Yes. This is was the case during most my cross-country races in high school. There would be the one bathroom in the park with like 4 stalls. But, with an invitational, there would be close to 300-600 people at the park-- just counting the students in the race alone. You tell me, where did we end up peeing"

For stalls for 600 people is pretty much the exact same situation in my high school, one stall for every 150 girls more or less. And again people consider this to be normal and think that people have bathrooms when there is no possibility of most people using them but I guess because they figure they give some bare minimum they feel that they have done no wrong.

And it must be even crazier when all of those people were running a race like that, I suspect a lot of them were running because they were getting ready to spring towards the bathroom at the end!

What you say is so true, when you're young you're always being trained to follow whatever authority tells you and it's really bad when you're young because if you get in trouble you can get screwed for life. Contrast this with, say, my grandparents, who are already set in life and always make a scene Karen-style to poor employees who have no control over the situation. 

It's really awful for women, I've even see it at companies where they won't let you use the washroom due to heavy workload. At one place I've seen, the boss was very old-fashioned, he said all women need to be wearing heels at work all day even though it was just an office job, it's really sad because I'd always see women holding it in getting exponentially desperate at the end of the day crossing their legs and forced to smile, if they didn't smile the boss would say "You're hard to get along with, you're not a cultural fit, maybe you'll be the next one we lay off".

But it's gotten better, sometimes you'll even see women protesting about the lack of toilets in countries like China and India.

In the old days even in North America I'd hear my older female teachers talk about how difficult it was to find a women's room, if they went to college they'd have to use the secretary's one washroom because there were no other female students and no female washrooms as a result, I'm happy things are getting better nowadays. 

14 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@DesperateQueue

@Wet Twink

Although you may never know for sure, I think that it is a fairly reasonable assumption that many of the girls in your classes that were late to class were late because they had to use the bathroom and the line was too long, based on the number of bathrooms and toilets available vs the number of girls in the school, and the amount of time between classes.  Otherwise, you probably would have had more interruptions in your classes from students needing to use the bathroom.  Of course, there are other reasons students can be late such as spending too much time talking and losing track of the time, not taking the most direct route to class, staying after class for whatever reason, or spending too much time at their locker either looking for something, or unable to get their locker locked or unlocked.  I don’t know about the boys, but I would bet you that for the girls that were late to class at your school, that at least 50% of them were due to needing to go to the bathroom and the line was too long.  Of course, since you don’t know the situation, it could be possible that those girls didn’t exactly take the most direct route from class to the bathroom to get there before the line got too long (if they went to their locker first, for example), so part of that may be their own fault.  But if there was only one bathroom open on the main floor it probably wouldn’t have made much difference what route they took from class to the bathroom, because they weren’t going to get there before the line built up unless their previous class was right next to the bathroom and they went directly from class to the bathroom as soon as class was dismissed.

But generally speaking, I think (or hope) the way most students tried to avoid getting involved in these nasty situations of being desperate to pee when the bathroom line was too long between classes was to use the bathroom before school, at lunch, and after school, and hope that was good enough.  And for most students, that was good enough, but some students may need to go more often if they are sick or have some kind of physical or medical condition the requires them to go more often.  Heck, some students probably try to avoid using the bathrooms at school entirely, and probably even more so now thanks to COVID-19 (lack of trust in using public toilets when you don’t know how clean they are).  That’s probably not a good idea, because realistically over the course of a 6 or 7 hour school day, most students probably need to use the bathroom and/or wash their hands at least once during the school day.  If you are one of the few that is lucky enough to make it through 7, 8, or even 9 hours without needing to pee or poo, and not even feeling all that desperate, and you are able to do that consistently, then you are indeed one of the few lucky ones (especially for the girls, because girls probably need to pee more often than the boys, and unfortunately probably don’t get as many chances to do so).

@John

"It's really awful for women, I've even see it at companies where they won't let you use the washroom due to heavy workload. At one place I've seen, the boss was very old-fashioned, he said all women need to be wearing heels at work all day even though it was just an office job, it's really sad because I'd always see women holding it in getting exponentially desperate at the end of the day crossing their legs and forced to smile, if they didn't smile the boss would say "You're hard to get along with, you're not a cultural fit, maybe you'll be the next one we lay off"."

He definitely sounds like a male chauvinist pig and very sexist at that, although I have found that female bosses are not necessarily more sympathetic to women needing to go to the bathroom, even though they should know better. Like my boss of my job was female and everything like that and when I told her about the lack of bathrooms situation she seemed genuinely puzzled but not especially concerned.

But it's true that women are still expected to just sort of smile politely even when they are in discomfort or have an urgent need such as the need to relieve themselves. I always thought that women who did that were especially accommodating and that it was somehow conceding to the situation, but then when I got my own job where I had to hold it all day I found myself smiling politely and trying to be as pleasant as possible, even while my bladder was screaming and ready to explode. So I guess it's just something that you tend to do in this situation, you may be dying, you may be going out of your mind, but you still want to be pleasant to everybody else even while you are going crazy with the need to go to the bathroom.

"But it's gotten better, sometimes you'll even see women protesting about the lack of toilets in countries like China and India."

True it is definitely a problem worldwide and it surprises me that more women haven't protested this but at least in the United States there isn't the terrible situation of having almost no public bathrooms at all like they have in India. But again it is a global problem that seems to affect women in every country and yet most women seem like they just accepted as normal however inconvenient and uncomfortable it may be.

Like I said bathroom scarcity is ultimately at the core of the issue where women need more toilets but get fewer, paradoxically, compounding the problem and causing great discomfort that we are just supposed to smile politely and put up with, and the thing is most of us do, like I said in my other thread about women being more patient about waiting for the bathroom.

"In the old days even in North America I'd hear my older female teachers talk about how difficult it was to find a women's room, if they went to college they'd have to use the secretary's one washroom because there were no other female students and no female washrooms as a result, I'm happy things are getting better nowadays."

True as bad as things still are it was worse in the past and I sometimes wonder if the reason why my mom and her sisters had such good bladder control was because they grew up in the 50s and 60s and went to Catholic school where bathroom access was probably few and far between.

But it's true that a lot of places are still designed for a world where women weren't part of the workforce or out of the home as much in society still hasn't really caught up with that even decades later. Like I remember my college in the library they had a men's room on every floor but they only had a women's room on one floor so I would end up having to go down to the first floor in order to go to the bathroom where the guys were able to just go to the bathroom on whatever floor we happen to be on. The lines usually weren't terrible but there was only one bathroom for women and three for men so these things still tend to linger.

@DesperateQueue

" I don’t know about the boys, but I would bet you that for the girls that were late to class at your school, that at least 50% of them were due to needing to go to the bathroom and the line was too long.  Of course, since you don’t know the situation, it could be possible that those girls didn’t exactly take the most direct route from class to the bathroom to get there before the line got too long (if they went to their locker first, for example), so part of that may be their own fault.  But if there was only one bathroom open on the main floor it probably wouldn’t have made much difference what route they took from class to the bathroom, because they weren’t going to get there before the line built up unless their previous class was right next to the bathroom and they went directly from class to the bathroom as soon as class was dismissed."

I hadn't actually thought about it much of the time but now that I look back in retrospect most of those girls who were late probably were trying to get to the bathroom as I noticed that some of them looked decidedly uncomfortable when they got to class. And you are right that maybe not everybody takes a direct route to the bathroom more bolts to the bathroom like a maniac the moment class lets out, as many people even when they know they need a bathroom and that there could be a line take a cavalier attitude. Of course there are some people who just don't care about being late to class at all, but I was not one of them.

I would always go right for the bathroom generally speaking and I only visited my locker once a day at lunch meeting that I would carry around a heavy backpack all day. I was always obsessed with not being late to class and everything like that and although I would try to go to the bathroom every opportunity I had if I went into the bathroom and there was a line I would simply shrugged my shoulders, walk away disappointed and hope for better luck next time. When it only had one opportunity to use the bathroom during the day other than lunch that became much more frustrating because there was almost always a line and that almost always involves walking away not getting to go.

Again I think that that was something that none of the boys ever encountered, and I think it's something a lot of guys still don't understand and that I try to get across, in a situation where there is a limited amount of time to use the bathroom it very often means that women don't get to go in a situation where the guys often can just run into the bathroom quick. Like I would see guys run into the men's room and be out like 30 seconds later but I never saw anything like that at the girls bathroom ever. I think that a lot of guys simply don't understand just what it obstacle the ladies room line tends to be for women seeking relief, it's just not something on their radar because it's not something they have to deal with.

"That’s probably not a good idea, because realistically over the course of a 6 or 7 hour school day, most students probably need to use the bathroom and/or wash their hands at least once during the school day.  If you are one of the few that is lucky enough to make it through 7, 8, or even 9 hours without needing to pee or poo, and not even feeling all that desperate, and you are able to do that consistently, then you are indeed one of the few lucky ones (especially for the girls, because girls probably need to pee more often than the boys, and unfortunately probably don’t get as many chances to do so)."

Exactly! That's why I am surprised that I didn't see more obvious signs of desperation or accidents or women getting really agitated during the day, although back then I wasn't as attuned to it as I was now and looking back in retrospect I can see some cases where I didn't just notice at the time but I kind of remember now. But yes the average person cannot go six or seven hours without a bathroom.

And you are hundred percent right as urinary journals did a study that found that women tended to go to the bathroom six or seven times throughout the day where as men tended to go three or four times throughout the day. This suggests that women go to the bathroom almost twice as much as men when given the opportunity, but the paradox is when not given the opportunity we end up having to wait, so the paradox is that we both need to go more often and get to go less which results in a lot more desperation.

So again when it comes to bathroom scarcity it's basically a triple whammy where women have to go twice as much, take twice as long and often have a half to a third as many bathrooms so it's not surprising that it results in lots of discomfort, but again I think that society accepts this as normal and when there is no bathroom available women are just expected to smile politely and do with out as though it were in some kind of big deal even when you are sitting there for hours or possibly all day with a painfully full bladder while male companions are sitting there comfortably relieved and wondering what has us so agitated!

It was like I said in one of my other thread's about a bus ride where there was a limited amount of time to use the bathroom or where the women's bathroom was out of order where the men got to go several times during the trip and the women didn't get to go at all. So when everyone finally arrived at destination the women were pretty much ready to stampede out of the bus and the guys are just looking at us like we are crazy and don't know what is wrong, and they just aren't considering the fact that all day while they were going to the bathroom multiple times we hadn't gone once. If they had been holding it all day while the women were getting to go at every stop they would be going pretty crazy too I would think!

@DesperateJill

“I hadn't actually thought about it much of the time but now that I look back in retrospect most of those girls who were late probably were trying to get to the bathroom as I noticed that some of them looked decidedly uncomfortable when they got to class. And you are right that maybe not everybody takes a direct route to the bathroom more bolts to the bathroom like a maniac the moment class lets out, as many people even when they know they need a bathroom and that there could be a line take a cavalier attitude. Of course there are some people who just don't care about being late to class at all, but I was not one of them.”

Your statement there does kind of make sense, but there is one thing I don’t quite understand.  If they were late to class, and still didn’t pee (I assume this because you said they were late and still looked uncomfortable when they got to class), then it’s almost as if to say that they waited in line to pee, ran out of time, and got to class late, and still didn’t get to pee, so that’s kind of a double whammy.  I would think that if you already know you’re going to be late, you might as well go ahead and use the bathroom if you need to go, even if it makes you late (or later).  After all, whether you’re 5 seconds late or 5 minutes late, they still count you as “late”, right?  The main difference is that by showing up only a few seconds late, you only miss a few seconds of instruction (as opposed to 5 minutes or more), but you get marked “late” either way.  So if you’re needing to pee, and you’re already late, I had thought why not go ahead and pee even if you’re 5 minutes or more late to class, so that at least you don’t have to ask for a pass to use the bathroom later (especially since your teachers weren’t willing to write many bathroom passes anyway, and probably less likely to if you already came into class late).  Did they have bathroom monitors that kicked people out of the bathroom is they were still waiting in line when it was time for class to begin?  That’s the only logical explanation to me.  If there was a bathroom monitor, maybe they could write passes to the girls who were late because they were waiting in line for the bathroom, as long as they got to the bathroom by a certain time relative to when class starts.

Also, you probably summed up the girls bathroom problem correctly.  Even without taking into account the closing down of the girls school bathrooms, we can make some reasonable assumptions.  1) Girls need to pee about twice as often as boys (on average).  2). Girls probably take twice as long as boys to pee on average.  3)  Girls are lucky if they have the same number of places to pee as the boys do.  They realistically need twice as many places to pee since they take twice as long and need to go more often, but sometimes they get only 1/2 to 2/3 as many places to pee (sometimes it’s worse than that).

And yet, you mention that there are 4 minutes between classes, and girls do not get any more time to pee than the boys do, even though on average, they do need to pee twice as often, and take twice as long to pee, and that also likely means there’s more likely to be a line in the girls bathroom than in the boys bathroom.   As a result, suppose that if you have a 4 or 5 minute passing period, there are  only 3 to 6 stalls in the girls bathroom, there are 15 to 20 girls that need to pee, then that means somebody is going to have to wait in line, pee, and be late to class if they are going to get their bathroom business taken care of.

@DesperateQueue

"Your statement there does kind of make sense, but there is one thing I don’t quite understand.  If they were late to class, and still didn’t pee (I assume this because you said they were late and still looked uncomfortable when they got to class), then it’s almost as if to say that they waited in line to pee, ran out of time, and got to class late, and still didn’t get to pee, so that’s kind of a double whammy.  I would think that if you already know you’re going to be late, you might as well go ahead and use the bathroom if you need to go, even if it makes you late (or later).  After all, whether you’re 5 seconds late or 5 minutes late, they still count you as “late”, right?  The main difference is that by showing up only a few seconds late, you only miss a few seconds of instruction (as opposed to 5 minutes or more), but you get marked “late” either way.  So if you’re needing to pee, and you’re already late, I had thought why not go ahead and pee even if you’re 5 minutes or more late to class, so that at least you don’t have to ask for a pass to use the bathroom later (especially since your teachers weren’t willing to write many bathroom passes anyway, and probably less likely to if you already came into class late).  Did they have bathroom monitors that kicked people out of the bathroom is they were still waiting in line when it was time for class to begin?  That’s the only logical explanation to me.  If there was a bathroom monitor, maybe they could write passes to the girls who were late because they were waiting in line for the bathroom, as long as they got to the bathroom by a certain time relative to when class starts."

There were no bathroom monitors but I think I get what you are saying and I think that I can answer from personal experience. What I think happens is that a lot of people go into the bathroom and get in line to go to the bathroom and hope they are going to make it but after waiting a minute or two and seeing the line not moving fast enough I think I had better get my ass to class, only to end up late regardless because they already waited a while for the bathroom but figured no I don't have enough time to keep waiting and still try to get to class and fail to get the class and I think that that was pretty common.

I know that often if I went between class and there was a line and there were only a few girls in the line I would sometimes maybe wait a minute or two if I could afford to wait that long hoping that I will get to the bathroom but then if the line doesn't move fast enough you just sort of throw up your arms in frustration and figure I better get running to class.

So I know I have definitely been in myself a couple of situations where I got into the bathroom waited in the line for a minute or so because the class was close by, but then I realized that I still wasn't going to be able to go to the bathroom and get to class in time so that I would go running into the class. I suspect that a lot of girls didn't find things as obsessive way as I did where as if I didn't get to go within a minute or two I wouldn't stick around and would run to class as fast as I could, and for the record I can't remember ever being late so I always ended up sacrificing bladder relief for being on time for class, again sort of an obsessive teacher's pet always afraid of getting in trouble.

But I suspect that a lot of girls probably tried going to the bathroom and then maybe when the bell rang they figured I had better just run to class now because I'm not going to get to go to the bathroom anyway. But I think it's a matter of timing and again I think that most people don't really have great timing, they might think they can use the bathroom only to find it is too late and then they go to the class in resignation afterwards is what I think happens if that makes sense.

"Also, you probably summed up the girls bathroom problem correctly.  Even without taking into account the closing down of the girls school bathrooms, we can make some reasonable assumptions.  1) Girls need to pee about twice as often as boys (on average).  2). Girls probably take twice as long as boys to pee on average.  3)  Girls are lucky if they have the same number of places to pee as the boys do.  They realistically need twice as many places to pee since they take twice as long and need to go more often, but sometimes they get only 1/2 to 2/3 as many places to pee (sometimes it’s worse than that)."

Exactly, and this is the case virtually EVERYWHERE. It doesn't make as big of a difference when you have time to wait around for a half hour to use the bathroom, as inconvenient and annoying as that can be you at least get to go, but when you only have a short brief stretch of time to use the bathroom this severe lack of opportunity is as I said in the title, it's like you technically have a bathroom but you can't use it in a reasonable amount of time so it's pretty much the same as having NO bathroom whatsoever.

And yes girls are in a triple whammy because this is backed up by fact where it has been shown that women peed 6 to 7 times a day compared to 3 to 4 times for men, women take twice as long to go and usually have about a half to third as many places to go when you factor in urinals. As a result of that the line is going to be at least six times as long, but I think that the problem is compounded when you multiply all of those factors combined. In fact there was a good video that I saw that showed that the line to the girls room is actually 34 times of the compared line to the men's room, which is why it's possible to have a truly enormous line to the girls bathroom but NONE whatsoever at the men's room.

I know from asking my friends that the men's room had like three stalls and seven urinals or something like that plus they had all three of the men's rooms opened, so while the girls had that one bathroom with five stalls between stalls and urinals in the three bathrooms for boys there were over 30 places to go, so we had a truly gut wrenching situation for the girls where the boys never had any wait and they had plenty of time to use the bathroom. I know that my guy friends could wine and in the bathroom and be out in 30 seconds and I even asked them and they said that they could never once recall there being an actual line in the boys bathroom.

And yet I can say from experience there was always almost some other kind of line in the girls bathroom, and if you weren't first in line you pretty much didn't really have much of an opportunity to go, and that was true even before they closed the other two girls bathrooms. So again that's a huge contrast where there is never a line for the boys and always one for the girls, and yet from the school's perspective they probably think that they are doing things fine and equal, and I think that it is not just that schools but basically virtually everywhere.

What it all amounts to is that in any situation where there is a limited time to use the bathroom it just goes without saying that the majority of women are just not going to get to go, and if this happens time and time again you could end up holding it for a very long time, and I think that's something the guys, who never have to wait in line, really don't realize, just how often women get stuck holding due to this lack of opportunity to relieve ourselves.

"And yet, you mention that there are 4 minutes between classes, and girls do not get any more time to pee than the boys do, even though on average, they do need to pee twice as often, and take twice as long to pee, and that also likely means there’s more likely to be a line in the girls bathroom than in the boys bathroom.   As a result, suppose that if you have a 4 or 5 minute passing period, there are  only 3 to 6 stalls in the girls bathroom, there are 15 to 20 girls that need to pee, then that means somebody is going to have to wait in line, pee, and be late to class if they are going to get their bathroom business taken care of."

Exactly, and teachers ask why don't you go between class and they just don't seem to get it! There simply isn't enough time or enough bathrooms to make it practical to do so. Before they closed all of the bathrooms there were 15 stalls for 750 girls amounting to about one toilet per every 50 girls, but after they closed all of that there was five stalls for 750 amounting to one for every 150 girls. Assuming that given between any class period you have to figure that at least several dozen girls would have to use the bathroom the math just doesn't work out, it simply means that the majority of girls simply just would not be able to get to a bathroom at any point during the day.

Again I would go at lunch when there would always be a very long line but then I could afford to wait 20 or 30 minutes just to use the bathroom, or I would go during gym class where there is a bathroom in the locker room on days I had Jim, and occasionally when I passed the bathroom to the nurse's office if nobody was in there I would get to use that if I was the first one in there, but short of that it pretty much meant holding it for most of the day. I don't know how some girls managed to go all day without a bathroom but I figure a lot of them must have been doing that. My one other friend who is female in school, I really just hung out with her and two other guys and I'd really didn't talk to anyone else in high school, she just held it all day and incidentally is now a nurse, so she has good bladder control, but for women who didn't have good bladder control I simply don't know how they got through the entire day without a bathroom but that had to be true for at least a good majority of the female student body.

Again I can't recall ever seeing any accidents and everything like that but looking back in retrospect I did notice that a lot of girls were getting agitated and antsy towards the end of the day especially and a lot of girls did ask to use permission to the bathroom during class and were turned down, and a lot of girls came to class late looking rather unhappy. Again I don't know that it was because they didn't go to the bathroom but you kind of have to assume.

And as I was saying in this thread it is literally true everywhere where basically if women don't have 20 or 30 minutes to spare just to take a piss you pretty much just have to hold it, which is really ridiculous when you think about it, but I am really pessimistic that we are going to see this problem be solved.

I feel like to even begin to make it possible for a majority of girls to use the bathroom in that short stretch of time between classes they would probably have to give at least double as many places as the guys when they were actually giving us just 1/6 as many places which is really astonishingly cruel when you think about it even compared to a normal place!

But again I am a realist, would it be practical to have 60 stalls for girls in the course of three girls bathrooms or even create six girls bathrooms each with 10 stalls? I just feel like that that is just not going to happen, because really to get girls to go as quickly as guys they would have to really give us pretty substantially more bathrooms to a degree that even I will admit is probably not practical for most places.

So it really is sort of a nightmare scenario really for women needing relief in a speedy manner in any type of crowded place, especially with limited amount of time to use the bathroom. Most of the time you can't just wait around 20 to 30 minutes to use the bathroom, so your only other option is to hold it and often for a very long stretch of time, which given that women have to go more often is even more difficult for us to endure compared to the guys.

And once again, and it really pains me to admit that given what an advocate I am of bathroom equality and whatnot, and given all of the desperate situations I have been in, but when it comes down to it I don't see any type of real practical solution as obviously they are never going to give women 34 times as many bathrooms as men or even a small fraction of that, even getting twice as many or an equal number of stalls two stalls and urinals is not the case in most places. I would like to think that in time it would change but I don't think it's ever going to approach true equity really ever.

What this ultimately leads to is that we are now in a situation pretty much universally where if there is a limited amount of time to use the bathroom and a large number of women who need to go the majority of women are just not going to get to go when there is no way around that, whereas for the guys they are pretty much guaranteed to always be able to go in their time of need. So any type of intermission, rest stop, between classes or large public events it's going to result in the women basically having to hold it while the guys are able to relieve themselves. It really really sucks, it's really really frustrating, but even I admit some degree of resignation that I don't think it's ever going to be otherwise and that the problem of toilet scarcity is not going to be solved.

So we have sort of a situation that if it weren't actually serious would be kind of comical where you have guys just sashaying in and out of the empty men's room in a calm and orderly fashion, and looking at women fighting to be first in line for the bathroom like a bunch of raging maniacs and looking at us like we are crazy. Well if you didn't get to go to the bathroom all day while we were peeing at every opportunity you would go crazy too! We have to compete for toilets, you do not, and that makes all the difference in the world!

Sorry I couldn't help but get on a rant here but if you look at the math, and I can see that you have, you can see that we really are in a terrible situation and it doesn't seem likely we are ever going to be getting out of it so we had better suck it up and cross her legs because it's going to be a long desperate journey.

@DesperateJill

I’d say it’s a bad situation all the way around.  The only thing I can really think of though is if they’re already late, they might as well go ahead and use the bathroom.  Although it may be frowned upon, it’s not like they lock the bathrooms up when class is supposed to be in session, do they?  Teachers and administrators may not like it, but at least it allows the students to get the relief they need before heading to class, even if it is 15 minutes late.  It just depends on how desperate their need is.  I don’t think teachers and administrators would get away with this kind of bathroom policy nowadays.

@DesperateQueue

"I’d say it’s a bad situation all the way around.  The only thing I can really think of though is if they’re already late, they might as well go ahead and use the bathroom.  Although it may be frowned upon, it’s not like they lock the bathrooms up when class is supposed to be in session, do they?  Teachers and administrators may not like it, but at least it allows the students to get the relief they need before heading to class, even if it is 15 minutes late.  It just depends on how desperate their need is.  I don’t think teachers and administrators would get away with this kind of bathroom policy nowadays."

It really was a terrible situation all around, and like I said in my last post I think this is true everywhere not just that schools but just for women's bathroom access in general particularly when there is only a limited amount of time to use the bathroom. They didn't lock the bathrooms between classes other than locking those other two bathrooms on the second and third floor during those last couple of years.

If a student was 15 minutes late the teacher would really be pretty annoyed with them I think and although I would like to think that maybe now they couldn't get away with that I am sure that I wouldn't be surprised if this was still a policy at my school seeing as I heard that the drug problem increased after I graduated and that relatively recently the school had a big problem with drugs and alcohol. And with that on top of Covid it wouldn't be surprising to me if they still had these policies in place.

Again like you said it's a terrible situation all around, but even I have to admit that I don't necessarily see a solution that would work out well for the girls in this scenario. Even before they locked the girls bathroom the situation wasn't great, although after they locked the bathroom the situation was just nightmarish. But short of giving the girls significantly more toilets than they had already I don't think that there was ever going to be a case where the majority of girls could go to the bathroom the majority of time between class.

And I feel like maybe this should be a threat all of its own was a poll as I am starting to become more resigned to the fact that there might just not be a solution, at least not a very practical solution, to these problems.

On 12/20/2021 at 6:19 AM, DesperateJill said:

@DesperateQueue

"I’d say it’s a bad situation all the way around.  The only thing I can really think of though is if they’re already late, they might as well go ahead and use the bathroom.  Although it may be frowned upon, it’s not like they lock the bathrooms up when class is supposed to be in session, do they?  Teachers and administrators may not like it, but at least it allows the students to get the relief they need before heading to class, even if it is 15 minutes late.  It just depends on how desperate their need is.  I don’t think teachers and administrators would get away with this kind of bathroom policy nowadays."

It really was a terrible situation all around, and like I said in my last post I think this is true everywhere not just that schools but just for women's bathroom access in general particularly when there is only a limited amount of time to use the bathroom. They didn't lock the bathrooms between classes other than locking those other two bathrooms on the second and third floor during those last couple of years.

If a student was 15 minutes late the teacher would really be pretty annoyed with them I think and although I would like to think that maybe now they couldn't get away with that I am sure that I wouldn't be surprised if this was still a policy at my school seeing as I heard that the drug problem increased after I graduated and that relatively recently the school had a big problem with drugs and alcohol. And with that on top of Covid it wouldn't be surprising to me if they still had these policies in place.

Again like you said it's a terrible situation all around, but even I have to admit that I don't necessarily see a solution that would work out well for the girls in this scenario. Even before they locked the girls bathroom the situation wasn't great, although after they locked the bathroom the situation was just nightmarish. But short of giving the girls significantly more toilets than they had already I don't think that there was ever going to be a case where the majority of girls could go to the bathroom the majority of time between class.

And I feel like maybe this should be a threat all of its own was a poll as I am starting to become more resigned to the fact that there might just not be a solution, at least not a very practical solution, to these problems.

Well, no one really “should” be 15 minutes or more late to a class unless the bathroom line really is that long and everyone has to pee pretty badly.  If that’s the case, then you would think enough students would be way late to class, and there would be complaints from the teachers about too many students being late, and also complaints from the students about not having enough time to use the bathroom, and some action would have to be taken.

But, it’s not that far-fetched to think someone could be up to 5 minutes late or so because of a long bathroom line, especially if there are only 4 or 5 minutes between classes.

One of the keys to avoiding this problem is to not wait until you’re about to pee your pants to get to the bathroom so that if there is a line, you can afford to wait.   However, the problem really rears its ugly head when you are about to pee your pants, there is a line at the bathroom, and you have to be in class or somewhere else within a few minutes or less.  So how do people (especially girls) deal with this problem during the school day?  They need to go to the bathroom before school, at lunch, and after school, and hope that’s good enough.  But what if that isn’t good enough and they truly are about to pee their pants during class, and then try to get to the bathroom after class (before they did pee their pants), and there is a long line?  For example, let’s say there are 5 minutes between classes, and the nearest girls bathroom has three stalls, but when you get in there, all the toilets are occupied and there are 5 girls ahead of you in line, who also look pretty desperate.  Should you:  A) wait in line and be late. B) ask to go to the bathroom during class. C). Ask to cut in line.  D). Pee on the floor, chair, desk, sink, trash can, or water bottle. E). Pee your pants at some point during class. F). Try to find another bathroom with a shorter line G) wait another class period and hope you don’t pee your pants and hope for better luck at the next break or H) Other?     Well, it is clearly stated that we aren’t allowed to be late to class, and we aren’t allowed to use the bathroom during class.  Asking to cut in line probably won’t work, especially if everyone else is desperate.  It is clearly stated that she can’t wait another class period either (maybe you personally could, but some girls realistically can’t wait another hour if they already feel that they are about to pee their pants).  Trying to find another restroom probably won’t work, unless it’s on the way to your next class, because of the extra time to navigate to and from the other bathroom to your next class, and there is the possibility the line may be shorter or longer in that other bathroom.  Therefore, the only “feasible” options are to pee your pants, or pee somewhere else (like the floor, chair, desk, sink, trash can, or water bottle), or the “other” option that is open for suggestions that I haven’t thought of.

@DesperateQueue

I don't know how other girls managed to deal with it, the only other person I really chatted with in high school pretty much was one of those girls who never used the bathroom all day long. I just made sure to be able to hold it until I got to lunch time or until I had the chance to go, but luckily I was never on the verge of pissing myself, even though I was always constantly desperate. I would try to go at every possible opportunity such as if I was by the one bathroom, if I had a gym class or every day at lunch, but lunch at least I was guaranteed to be able to get to the bathroom at least once a day.

Like I said plenty of girls came late to class, but I can't say conclusively that that was because they had to use the bathroom, and some of them looked like they were uncomfortable like they may be tried to use the bathroom and didn't, but again it's all conjecture on my part as I didn't really ask any of them directly. It would be kind of weird to go to someone who was late to class and just randomly ask, what were you waiting for the bathroom? I was considered weird enough in high school and that certainly wouldn't have improved things!

18 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@DesperateQueue

I don't know how other girls managed to deal with it, the only other person I really chatted with in high school pretty much was one of those girls who never used the bathroom all day long. I just made sure to be able to hold it until I got to lunch time or until I had the chance to go, but luckily I was never on the verge of pissing myself, even though I was always constantly desperate. I would try to go at every possible opportunity such as if I was by the one bathroom, if I had a gym class or every day at lunch, but lunch at least I was guaranteed to be able to get to the bathroom at least once a day.

Like I said plenty of girls came late to class, but I can't say conclusively that that was because they had to use the bathroom, and some of them looked like they were uncomfortable like they may be tried to use the bathroom and didn't, but again it's all conjecture on my part as I didn't really ask any of them directly. It would be kind of weird to go to someone who was late to class and just randomly ask, what were you waiting for the bathroom? I was considered weird enough in high school and that certainly wouldn't have improved things!

Did you witness any desperations in the lines for the restroom like complaining or crossing legs etc? Did girls like just not complain about this unfair and uncomfortable situtation? Do you think unisex bathrooms would have solved it where it was a bathroom with only stalls includfing for guys?

@Angusburger

"Did you witness any desperations in the lines for the restroom like complaining or crossing legs etc? Did girls like just not complain about this unfair and uncomfortable situtation? Do you think unisex bathrooms would have solved it where it was a bathroom with only stalls includfing for guys?"

The thing I witnessed most was just women standing in line looking annoyed, occasionally crossed legs, but mostly just sort of sighing and looking annoyed. Although there were clearly a lot of girls who were annoyed by the situation I never heard anyone lodge a formal complaint.

And as I have said in numerous posts before I feel like unisex bathrooms wouldn't solve the problem, and I couldn't picture them doing that in high school when people tend to be really immature about these matters. Can you imagine teenage boys and teenage girls sharing a bathroom in high school, that really would have been chaos!

18 hours ago, DesperateJill said:

@Angusburger

"Did you witness any desperations in the lines for the restroom like complaining or crossing legs etc? Did girls like just not complain about this unfair and uncomfortable situtation? Do you think unisex bathrooms would have solved it where it was a bathroom with only stalls includfing for guys?"

The thing I witnessed most was just women standing in line looking annoyed, occasionally crossed legs, but mostly just sort of sighing and looking annoyed. Although there were clearly a lot of girls who were annoyed by the situation I never heard anyone lodge a formal complaint.

And as I have said in numerous posts before I feel like unisex bathrooms wouldn't solve the problem, and I couldn't picture them doing that in high school when people tend to be really immature about these matters. Can you imagine teenage boys and teenage girls sharing a bathroom in high school, that really would have been chaos!

I absolutely do-  our unisexes at workplace.. sharing a line at some time maybe, but  I can't see a cause for chaos..

IMG_1702.HEIC IMG_1701.HEIC

Edited by ivan72 (see edit history)

@ivan72

"I absolutely do-  our unisexes at workplace.. sharing a line at some time maybe, but  I can't see a cause for chaos.."

A unisex bathroom at work with individual bathrooms with closed doors like that is different than a unisex bathroom in a high school with stalls where students could potentially look under the stalls at the men and women inside. That's what I was kind of thinking of when I was saying that it would be bad in high school as I feel that I schoolers aren't really mature about these matters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 4:43 AM, DesperateJill said:

@Angusburger

Did guys ever try and show off their lack of lines and tease girls in that way (regardless if they had a kink)? Were girls ever jealous about the guys lack of lines?

I wonder if girls in your school just drank less to not go to the bathroom at much especailly if they have a. test and dont want to take a test with a full bladder

@Angusburger

"Did guys ever try and show off their lack of lines and tease girls in that way (regardless if they had a kink)? Were girls ever jealous about the guys lack of lines?"

I think that the average guy, unless he had a fetish, would be completely oblivious to the lines of the girls bathroom. Privilege is something that you don't realize until it is challenged in some way, so I think most guys don't realize just how much easier it is for them to use the bathroom than girls. I know I was certainly jealous although I think that the average woman while perhaps annoyed by it probably doesn't think about it all that much, you just sort of accepted it as the way things are and don't really think about it unless you're a fanatic with a fetish and fixation like I am LOL.

"I wonder if girls in your school just drank less to not go to the bathroom at much especailly if they have a. test and dont want to take a test with a full bladder"

I think that would be the wise thing to do but most people in high school aren't the brightest people in the world and often take a cavalier attitude towards the bathroom even when they know they aren't going to get to go to the bathroom for a long time. But I can't recall ever seeing anybody have an accident, so I guess most people managed to make do or navigate the situation effectively.