Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Diapered at tsa

I have never worn a diaper in an airport. This Christmas I am flying to Denver to spend time with my family and I keep thinking about wearing during TSA. Do any of you guys have this experience? If so, what should I look out for? Be ready for? What to expect and bring with me?

Will they pat me down? What if I were to wet the diaper before going through? Could someone give me a run down for this?

1 hour ago, Loveomorashi11 said:

I have never worn a diaper in an airport. This Christmas I am flying to Denver to spend time with my family and I keep thinking about wearing during TSA. Do any of you guys have this experience? If so, what should I look out for? Be ready for? What to expect and bring with me?

Will they pat me down? What if I were to wet the diaper before going through? Could someone give me a run down for this?

I wear every time I fly and two pieces of advice:

1) diaper cream needs to go in your gels and liquids bag. I got held up in the UK for like 40 minutes because of this and it precipitated an agent opening my diaper bag and and seeing a trans-Atlantic flight's worth of diapers in there.

2) Wear underwear overtop for ease of change.

You might get a pat down, I've been patted down in a diaper and never had anyone say anything (usually a Goodnite or Tena), but if you are worried you can usually request those scanner machines if they have them, or just let the person know you are wearing protection before the pad down. A lot of people wear on planes. Also, those scanner things, I've gone through one in a soaked diaper and a dry diaper (Germany and the USA respectively) and was never flagged.

Good luck and report back 🙂

I always change right before going through security, so that the scanners won't detect a wet diaper.  I have been patted down a few times while wearing a diaper, but  nothing has ever been said.

Once, I had to have my carry-on hand searched and it was pretty much full of diapers.  I asked the agent to be discreet when she sees what is in there and her reply was that she had seen all sorts and was only looking for prohibited items.  We both had a bit of a laugh afterwards.

3 hours ago, SlendrWetr said:

Good input, have been wondering about this stuff myself in case I can travel for work wearing. If nothing else I would just insist the padding is for a "medical condition" or "recent operation".

Well yeah, and there’s no reason for them to question why you’re wearing it, unless they think you have a bomb/drugs or something inside it. I don’t expect “diapers can only be worn for genuine medical reasons” is in any airline’s T&C’s! Some people probably wear them due to concerns over being able to use the toilet onboard, even if they’re not full-on incontinent. Though the issue might be if you’re travelling with others who are unaware of your underwear choice.

4 hours ago, nappypants said:

Some people probably wear them due to concerns over being able to use the toilet onboard, even if they’re not full-on incontinent.

"I sometimes need the toilet without much warning" is pretty hard to argue with in an environment where take-off, landing and turbulence can put the toilets out of use for anything up to half an hour at a time.

As long as you don't go through wet, you're good.  Until the pandemic, I flew every week.  The most that's happened is that I get a pat down in the waistband area or on the sides, but I don't even know if that's because of the diaper or because of what I'm wearing over it.  I just wear the diaper under jeans or shorts most of the time.  They have had me lift my shirt and did a pat down on the waistband of the diaper.  But I never got more than that.  Also had my bag searched a couple times with diapers in there, but never had anything mentioned about that.  I don't even know if the person knew what they were.  They're usually looking for something specifically on a bag check.

I never thought of this, but now that you bring it up, I imagine it must be fairly common. There are so many people with health issues that result in some or complete incontinence from overactive bladder to Crohn's disease, and being on a flight is a situation where a) the toilets are not always available and b) the toilets can be cramped and uncomfortable, especially for people of size or people with mobility issues. Also, I'm sure plenty of elderly people or people who are postpartum rely on diapers. The TSA employees must see it pretty often. 

On a side note, one of my childhood friends used to be a stage manager and so was her boyfriend at the time. They told me that an issue they ran into a lot was having to clean theatre seats when elderly theatre patrons can't hold their bladder until intermission or for the entire show in shows without an intermission. I never thought of that, but I guess it must be fairly common in environments where access to toilets is somehow restricted. 

Good luck with your trip, and I hope you have safe travels! ❤️ 

2 hours ago, slothmallow said:

On a side note, one of my childhood friends used to be a stage manager and so was her boyfriend at the time. They told me that an issue they ran into a lot was having to clean theatre seats when elderly theatre patrons can't hold their bladder until intermission or for the entire show in shows without an intermission. I never thought of that, but I guess it must be fairly common in environments where access to toilets is somehow restricted. 

They really should start recommending people wear diapers in such places if that’s the case!

On 12/13/2021 at 3:30 PM, nappypants said:

They really should start recommending people wear diapers in such places if that’s the case!

Yeah, I imagine a lot of theaters might feel awkward bringing it up, but I agree, because it's not really fair for the theatre staff to have to keep cleaning the seats, and I imagine the seat would eventually need to be reupholstered, depending on how big an accident. There's only so much spot cleaning and steam cleaning can do when something gets soaked. 

An elderly client in my office once left a urine stain and some odor in a chair. I, of course, didn't say anything, because I didn't want to embarrass him at all. I assumed that maybe he had a leak he wasn't expecting or maybe he was wearing a diaper that leaked. After he left, I asked one of my bosses what to do, and we just ended up throwing out the chair. It's a non-profit, though, and we just have a bunch of old folding chairs that I think we're probably donated. If they were nice chairs or the chairs were attached, like theater seats, I imagine that would be an issue. I always tried to make sure that client used a folding chair that wasn't upholstered whenever he was in the office. There was never an issue again, so maybe he started wearing diapers or got better diapers? Idk what I would have done, though, if the issue had become a trend. It would be an awkward conversation to have for sure. 

It would be kind of wild if airlines, theatres, etc started putting out marketing asking people to please wear a diaper if they have issues with accidents. I actually think it would be nice, because so many people struggle with incontinence or medical issues that cause incontinence. Maybe it would help take some of the shame and stigma away for something that is actually commonplace. 

Ive gone through diapered for many years.  Wet or dry, just depends if I have had to pee after I left home and before going through TSA.  I've sailed straight through, and I've been asked if I have any medical devices on (I answer, yes bladder control stuff) and they let me though.  I've had my carryon opened up, diapers removed in plain sight, and put back.  I'm over any embarrassment.

I don't feel like i'm forcing my fetish on other people.  I hate having a full bladder.  I want to pee when I need to.  If someone is going to pat me down, that's on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore an ABU simple ultra with 1 booster for my most recent flight out of a southern california airport. I had several reasons for this; I've always wanted to fly padded because I just enjoy being padded, plus the convenience of it, but the additional benefit of being able to steer clear of public restrooms during this surge in omicron covid cases really tipped the scales for me and I decided to go for it.

Having read this thread specifically, plus my previous experiences through TSA, I figured I might get a quick pat down and be through with it. I'd have brought it through and put it on in a bathroom after security perhaps, except that my biggest reason for wearing was to avoid public restrooms entirely. I was completely dry going through the scanner, but as I walked out of the scanner the TSA agent asked me to wait, then pointed out that the scanner had a few markers on my crotch area and said he'd have to pat me down. I consented. After patting down my legs, he asked to check my waistband, and as he checked my waistband (I was wearing underwear in a way that fully covered my diap) he asked me if I was "wearing a second pair of pants or something," to which I said no. He then asked, much more quietly, if I was wearing a diaper, and I just nodded. He then said he'd have to get a higher up to check me, and swabbed my hands. This was already much more scrutiny than I'd expected I'd come under and was pretty confused.

His superior came over and told me he understood I was wearing a diaper and that he'd have to pat me down, and I said ok. After patting me down, he said he was going to have to ask me to come to a private room to do a more thorough check because what I was wearing was "bulkier" than anything he was used to. He was clear and kind about all of it, didn't make me feel threatened, but all of this was Really Not Fun. We went over to a little booth the size of a changing room and he asked me to open my pants and pull down my underwear, which I did, and he then proceeded to actually poke at my diaper. Then he had me rub my hands all over my diaper and swabbed my hands, and walked out of the booth, opening the door before I had a chance to pull my pants back up. I don't think anyone going through security saw me, but they could have. I really didn't appreciate the lack of discretion.

He eventually returned and told me everything was fine, but to take the responsibility off of him for passing me through, he needed to escalate one level higher and had to call a superior and there weren't any male superiors in the terminal so it might be a little while. So we just stood around awkwardly for a good five or so minutes. A very, very long five minutes. Eventually his superior arrived, essentially repeated what he'd done - asking me to show the diaper, poking around a little bit, skipped the swab part. They conferred, apparently the swab test they ran didn't come up with anything, and they told me I was all set to go. And then proceeded to open the door and leave AGAIN before I had a chance to pull up my pants.

I really wonder why I got such a thorough inspection. I have trouble imagining this happens to folks who are padded on flights much, and perhaps my general appearance led them to profile me as someone more likely to be trying to bring drugs on a flight or maybe they just had a lot of extra time because it was empty on Christmas day (I flew on the 25th since I don't celebrate and low fare). Maybe it'd have gone better if before I got any patdown at all I'd told the TSA agent that I was wearing a diaper.

I brought some more simple ultras and boosters, and may wear on the way back. If I get pulled for a pat down, I'll definitely let them know right off the bat.

9 hours ago, Xeno_ said:

I wore an ABU simple ultra with 1 booster for my most recent flight out of a southern california airport. I had several reasons for this; I've always wanted to fly padded because I just enjoy being padded, plus the convenience of it, but the additional benefit of being able to steer clear of public restrooms during this surge in omicron covid cases really tipped the scales for me and I decided to go for it.

Having read this thread specifically, plus my previous experiences through TSA, I figured I might get a quick pat down and be through with it. I'd have brought it through and put it on in a bathroom after security perhaps, except that my biggest reason for wearing was to avoid public restrooms entirely. I was completely dry going through the scanner, but as I walked out of the scanner the TSA agent asked me to wait, then pointed out that the scanner had a few markers on my crotch area and said he'd have to pat me down. I consented. After patting down my legs, he asked to check my waistband, and as he checked my waistband (I was wearing underwear in a way that fully covered my diap) he asked me if I was "wearing a second pair of pants or something," to which I said no. He then asked, much more quietly, if I was wearing a diaper, and I just nodded. He then said he'd have to get a higher up to check me, and swabbed my hands. This was already much more scrutiny than I'd expected I'd come under and was pretty confused.

His superior came over and told me he understood I was wearing a diaper and that he'd have to pat me down, and I said ok. After patting me down, he said he was going to have to ask me to come to a private room to do a more thorough check because what I was wearing was "bulkier" than anything he was used to. He was clear and kind about all of it, didn't make me feel threatened, but all of this was Really Not Fun. We went over to a little booth the size of a changing room and he asked me to open my pants and pull down my underwear, which I did, and he then proceeded to actually poke at my diaper. Then he had me rub my hands all over my diaper and swabbed my hands, and walked out of the booth, opening the door before I had a chance to pull my pants back up. I don't think anyone going through security saw me, but they could have. I really didn't appreciate the lack of discretion.

He eventually returned and told me everything was fine, but to take the responsibility off of him for passing me through, he needed to escalate one level higher and had to call a superior and there weren't any male superiors in the terminal so it might be a little while. So we just stood around awkwardly for a good five or so minutes. A very, very long five minutes. Eventually his superior arrived, essentially repeated what he'd done - asking me to show the diaper, poking around a little bit, skipped the swab part. They conferred, apparently the swab test they ran didn't come up with anything, and they told me I was all set to go. And then proceeded to open the door and leave AGAIN before I had a chance to pull up my pants.

I really wonder why I got such a thorough inspection. I have trouble imagining this happens to folks who are padded on flights much, and perhaps my general appearance led them to profile me as someone more likely to be trying to bring drugs on a flight or maybe they just had a lot of extra time because it was empty on Christmas day (I flew on the 25th since I don't celebrate and low fare). Maybe it'd have gone better if before I got any patdown at all I'd told the TSA agent that I was wearing a diaper.

I brought some more simple ultras and boosters, and may wear on the way back. If I get pulled for a pat down, I'll definitely let them know right off the bat.

Yipes! This is worse than anything I've ever experienced and I've flown padded for like... my whole life. It could have been the bulk of the diaper, I will usually go for something thin like a Goodnite or Tena but wow! Hugs hun.

It sucks they were not discreet with the door and at least they didn't make you take it off!

One thing I've done on the rare occasions that I get padded down is mention to the person before they do that I'm 'wearing an absorbent product' or some sort of euphemism, but like you did this, and also... yipes. 

I suppose there could be some profiling going on? I'm definitely in the demographic of 'could have just had a child and is having bladder issues' or 'is on her period and is wearing more protection because it's a long flight' but still.

Thanks for sharing!

Let us know how the flight home goes!

32 minutes ago, rachelkirwan said:

Yipes! This is worse than anything I've ever experienced and I've flown padded for like... my whole life. It could have been the bulk of the diaper, I will usually go for something thin like a Goodnite or Tena but wow! Hugs hun.

It sucks they were not discreet with the door and at least they didn't make you take it off!

One thing I've done on the rare occasions that I get padded down is mention to the person before they do that I'm 'wearing an absorbent product' or some sort of euphemism, but like you did this, and also... yipes. 

I suppose there could be some profiling going on? I'm definitely in the demographic of 'could have just had a child and is having bladder issues' or 'is on her period and is wearing more protection because it's a long flight' but still.

Thanks for sharing!

Let us know how the flight home goes!

Thanks! I'm probably going to try the same on the way back and will report my experience. The bulk probably was the biggest part of the reason, but I did need all of the capacity it afforded me to stay properly hydrated through a coast to coast flight with no changes lol. As for profiling, 10 years ago TSA agents would have been correct to be suspicious of me. I'm 8 years clean and sober now, but I look much as I did then. Long hair, piercings, and as an able 33 year old man not a ton of common reasons to have a medical need for protection.

As unpleasant as the experience was, it didn't bother me much once it was over. I've been in very serious legal trouble related to the issues I mentioned in my past re: drugs, and being scrutinized by TSA over something as harmless a diaper feels like a minor inconvenience in comparison. But I did feel like it could be useful to let folks here know seeing as I imagine what I went through might be quite upsetting to some, and while I'm sure being inspected this thoroughly over a diaper is extremely uncommon, it happened.

19 hours ago, Xeno_ said:

As unpleasant as the experience was, it didn't bother me much once it was over. I've been in very serious legal trouble related to the issues I mentioned in my past re: drugs, and being scrutinized by TSA over something as harmless a diaper feels like a minor inconvenience in comparison. But I did feel like it could be useful to let folks here know seeing as I imagine what I went through might be quite upsetting to some, and while I'm sure being inspected this thoroughly over a diaper is extremely uncommon, it happened.

Granted you were avoiding the facilities due to COVID, what prevented you from changing into a diaper after passing through TSA?  Avoiding facilities altogether?  Or just avoiding using the toilet, but using the stalls.    That would have been my strategy as I would have been absolutely mortified to have to tell someone or acknowledge that I was wearing an incontinence product.  At least if they went through your belongings, they wouldn't see you exposed in one.  But security you could change into one you would and still have the benefits you previously mentioned.

17 hours ago, Will1994 said:

Granted you were avoiding the facilities due to COVID, what prevented you from changing into a diaper after passing through TSA?  Avoiding facilities altogether?  Or just avoiding using the toilet, but using the stalls.    That would have been my strategy as I would have been absolutely mortified to have to tell someone or acknowledge that I was wearing an incontinence product.  At least if they went through your belongings, they wouldn't see you exposed in one.  But security you could change into one you would and still have the benefits you previously mentioned.

Avoiding public restrooms entirely was my reason. I'm also very particular about how I do my tapes if I'm going to wear for a long time, so changing in a public restroom is unappealing completely independent of covid risk. Nailing the tapes on a simple ultra can be the difference between getting 5+ wettings with no leaks and starting to leak after 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, Xeno_ said:

Wow, the only time I was ever asked was the one time I went through wet. And even then it was very brief.  I fly a lot and always wear something thick enough for the whole trip, usually an Abena or a North Shore.  I often travel more than 10 or 11 hours without changing. Sounds like your trip back was better though. Hopefully that is just a one off you had to experience.