Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Stephen King's Firestarter - Toilet training is the creation of a phobia against wetting oneself

I read the novel Firestarter by Stephen King. It's a novel about a girl that is able to create fire. It had a section on omorashi content that I wanted to share with everyone and get your opinions.

https://onlinereadfreenovel.com/stephen-king/page,10,31711-firestarter.html

Excerpt:

"So," Wanless said, "they toilet-trained her . . . and they fire-trained her."

"Fire-training," Cap mused.

"Which is only to say that, like my brother and his boy Freddy, they made a complex. You have quoted me that analogy, Captain Hollister, so let us examine it for a moment. What is toilet-training? It is making a complex, pure and simple." And suddenly, astonishingly, the old man's voice climbed to a high, wavering treble, the voice of a woman scolding a baby. Cap looked on with disgusted astonishment.

"You bad baby!" Wanless cried. "Look what you've done! It's nasty, baby, see how nasty it is? It's nasty to do it in your pants! Do grown-ups do it in their pants? Do it on the pot, baby, on the pot."

"Please," Cap said, pained.

"It is the making of a complex," Wanless said. "Toilet-training is accomplished by focusing the child's attention on his own eliminatory processes in a way we would consider unhealthy if the object of fixation were something different. How strong is the complex inculcated in the child, you might ask? Richard Damon of the University of Washington asked himself this question and made an experiment to find out. He advertised for fifty student volunteers. He filled them up with water and soda and milk until they all badly needed to urinate. After a certain set time had passed, he told them they could go . . . if they went in their pants."

"That's disgusting!" Cap said loudly. He was shocked and sickened. That wasn't an experiment; it was an exercise in degeneracy.

"See how well the complex has set in your own psyche," Wanless said quietly. "You did not think it was so disgusting when you were twenty months old. Then, when you had to go, you went. You would have gone sitting on the pope's lap if someone had set you there and you had to go. The point of the Damon experiment, Captain Hollister, is this: most of them couldn't. They understood that the ordinary rules of behavior had been set aside, at least for the course of the experiment ; they were each alone in quarters at least as private as the ordinary bathroom . . . but fully eighty-eight percent of them just couldn't. No matter how strong the physical need was, the complex instilled by their parents was stronger."

End excerpt.

So I'm just curious how many people think this is true, that toilet training is the creation of a phobia against wetting oneself?

42 minutes ago, silvermoon said:

I think the same could be said of any societal norm.

Yeah I completely agree! The primary reason for following social rules seems to be a fear of being rejected by others or of not "fitting in" to the group created by others who agreed on what behavior is "normal" and humans, when they are social creatures, desire to be accepted by others, sometimes to the complete detriment of their individuality, quite unfortunate when that happens...

16 hours ago, WetterMesser said:

Good observation. I think it has been well established that Stephen King is "one of us". Almost all of his books contain wetting/omo of some sort.

THIS! 

Another one of my favorites from him is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, early on the female protagonist has to take an emergency pee while on a hiking trip after her parent and sibling don't listen to her pleas to find a toilet, it's amazing.