Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

I've only been here for a few days and I've already found a number of musical types. So, the questions are:

1) What is your primary instrument?

2) What are your secondary instruments (if any)?

3) What styles of music do you play/sing?

4) Do you have formal musical training? If so, how much?

5) Tell me something you find interesting about music. It can be anything.

I'm particularly curious if there are any old-time/string-band players here. I have found that to be a surprisingly diverse community!

My answers are below:

1) Cello

2) Banjo, mandolin, viola da gamba, fiddle (just started!)

3) Classical, old-time, traditional folk, indie folk. I used to be in a post-hardcore band, but those days are behind me...

4) BM in Cello Performance. No formal training in the other instruments, save a few gamba lessons.

5) I think that musicians don't know enough about the science of tuning and how it relates to harmony. For some basic info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_tuning#Tuning_systems

1) Guitar

2) Drums, Sing, Piano, Violin

3) 80's/70's Rock, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Progressive Metal, Speed Metal

4) Took 2 college level music courses that revolved around playing piano but included ear training and music theory

5) I find musics effect on the soul to be fascinating, how a song in one key creates an air of relaxation where another creates tension.

1- Guitar!

2-Tenor Sax, Trumpet, French horn and piano

3- If it's good I'll listen to it! I'll give anything a try but my favorite bands are Florence and the Machine and Rise Against.

4- Lessons when I was little for piano and the other secondary's I learned in school. Guitar I have a friend that helped me out

5- I think the way music brings people together is amazing. It's the one cultural aspect of human beings that is completely universal. No matter where you go every culture you encounter will have its own unique type of music.

1) Electric guitar

2) Bass guitar, a tad of piano

3) Classic hard rock, classic heavy metal (1970-1989 basically)

4) Yes, I have a Btec First Diploma in Music :)

5) I like the creativity of it, like all the arts. You get a chance to express thoughts, feelings and emotions in such a beautiful way.

1) Guitar and if you want to get specific electric guitar

2) drums, bass, piano

3) metal/hard rock especially the classic stuff

4) As a kid I had 8 years of piano lessons before switching to guitar for ~2 years then dropping it after never taking it seriously picked it back up a few years ago and have been self taught since however recently just started lessons

5) Really I just love metal fast riffs screaming solos ear splitting vocal ranges just a group of guys coming together making noise. Calling myself a musician is quite a stretch though probably a hack guitarist is a bit more accurate but practice practice practice

1. Piano

2. Trumpet, I played a little french horn in the past, and I'm also teaching myself the guitar.

3. Classical, jazz, swing, rock, concert band...stuff you'd hear in a school band....

4. I took 12 years of piano lessons, I'd consider most of it more as rehearsals though for performances after the first few years. I took 2 years of trumpet lessons.

5. How different music can be. One minute I'm listening to a beautiful symphony, and the next minute I could be listening to a thrash metal song. I love how many different sounds can be used to create music, and when sounds are mixed well, it could be the most beautiful thing on earth (try strings mixed with distorted guitars, they surprisingly go well together).

Guest thechickeniscold

1. Piano

2. Nothing really

3. Romantic period, pop, whatever catches my ear at the moment

4. Piano lessons and messing around on my own

5. Thinking about why we perceive certain note combinations pleasing and others awful.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Bass

2) Guitar, Keyboards, Drum Machine, Drums

3) A really weird mixture of Postpunk, Postrock and Noise Rock which nobody could tell me yet what it actually is. People will refer to our style as similar to Joy Division and Sonic Youth which isn't bad at all...

4) Ah none except for 3 years of guitar lessons but I didn't learn to play there but how to put my fingers on the fretboard. The former I learned through experimenting and through listening.

5) The way it affects us especially when it comes to shows. It's weird that even such musicians that have an approach of overcoming authority have people dancing in line in front of the stage... in my band I have a line that goes "and if we dance then make it look like a fit/I'd rather tremble all the time than to dance the way you do"... wonder if people would dance to that.

1) What is your primary instrument? - Violin

2) What are your secondary instruments (if any)? - Very very basic piano, a bit of recorder (Descant and Treble), voice (pre puberty I could sing......post puberty a very very narrow range ;-) )

3) What styles of music do you play/sing? - Classical, Folk (Particularly Irish), ragtime, bit of jazz

4) Do you have formal musical training? If so, how much? - Hmm, depends what you mean by formal. Got to grade 7 on the violin before I gave up taking grades, and was in a county choir before my voice broke. Was also in a county wind band on the recorder years and years ago.

5) Tell me something you find interesting about music. It can be anything. - The sheer power music has to change your mood at the flick of a switch

• 2 months later...

1) Guitar/Vocals

2) Bass, Drums

3) Anything from Black Sabbath to Billy Talent, to AC/DC in styles, my music is diverse like that.

4) Nope, self taught with everything.

5) I suppose the many different types of music, and that people's interests can be from good melodies to just something with a lot of bass.

Edited by Dorito666 (see edit history)

1) What is your primary instrument?- I play the vibraphone.

2) What are your secondary instruments (if any)?- I can also play other mallet instruments, the trombone, alto saxophone, and the clarinet.

3) What styles of music do you play/sing?- Whatever music I can get my hands on.

4) Do you have formal musical training? If so, how much?- Have taken band throughout middle and high school.

5) Tell me something you find interesting about music. It can be anything.- I do not know anyone who has scored a 5 on the AP Music Theory AP test. (In my school).

Edited by dolodi (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

I program music in a piano roll. I occasionally use the keyboard but I'm not really a "player". I do harsh vocals (akin to screaming), but I'm working on my clean singing because it's obviously a more depthful approach.

2) What styles of music do you play/sing?

Electronic, metal (no real specific style any more)

3) Do you have formal musical training? If so, how much?

Absolutely none. And I pride myself in that.

4) Tell me something you find interesting about music. It can be anything.

That feeling you get when you have two melodies overlapping and they fit perfect in counterpoint.

cool topic!

i play guitar (more acoustic than electric) and sing to it

2) What are your secondary instruments (if any)?

mandoline, blues harp ... quite hard. i'm just a beginner

3) What styles of music do you play/sing?

play singer/songwriter. also classic rock, pop (i'm in a cover band ): ) and i listen to blues, singer/songwriter, jamaican, shoegaze ...

4) Do you have formal musical training? If so, how much?

self taught and

5) Tell me something you find interesting about music. It can be anything.

the possibillity of express yourself and your feelings. cause words can't say everything

• 4 weeks later...

1 Guitar and vocals. (Also music and lyrics if that counts?)

2 Some piano but my guitar got jealous, so I stop!

(That's what like to say to people.) lol

3 Punk rocker.

4 My dad and some college but mostly self taught.

5 Music is life, love, hate, your pain and a band-aid to the soul.